• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know why Sacred 2 is no longer in the store?

the gaben gives, the gaben takes.

He never tells why.

(running out of keys is one thing. Not agreeing to the Valve DLC terms is another. I'm sure there are other reasons as well. Legal actions against the creating party, for instance.)

Btw, for Europe on GMG:

(Europe only, guys) Wednesday 12th December from 1200 GMT
Far Cry 3 is 30% off with GMG30-FC31S-GR34T
Assassin's Creed 3 is 30% off with GMG30-H86GA-AQB2H

Which reminds me I should get my paypal fixed.

Mrbob

Triple Town is on Steam? Weird.

And wow at that Miner Wars 2081 sale price. It was actually hanging around in the top 20 on Steam for awhile and then dropped hard. Anything wrong with the game?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Miner Wars 2081 has fun & action-y storyline missions. Exploring out on my own has been somewhat of a letdown, but I did find some nazi zombies at an abandoned church in space, so there's potential! I'm still in my first ship too, so I've barely scratched the surface of the missions. The game definitely didn't tank to $5 because it's a piece of crap; if you like mission/combat/infiltration based space games you should definitely pick it up. If you go in expecting robust and meaningful trading, open exploration etc like some of the classics people are always asking about -- "Is it like ______????!!??!?" -- you'll probably be disappointed. Above all else this game is more action and mission based and the sandbox elements feel like an afterthought.

I mean the open exploration is there, it just feels very bare bones and meaningless vs sticking to the main missions, especially since itemization is so limited. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD suffered from the same issues but I still had fun with it. Miner Wars 2081 missions and feeling of variety blow GoF2 out of the water from the very start though. I don't know anything about the multiplayer.

It went on sale for about $22.00 off of Green Man Gaming last month (with a voucher). And I believe it was $30 off during the Steam Autumn sale. So I would very much expect it to go 50% off or better during the winter sales. (Totally worth it, by the way. My game of the year.)

Speaking of, the Dunwall City Trials comes out next Tuesday, but you can preorder it on GMG right now. I threw in this voucher, and got it for $3.75: GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6

Yeah, I just started working back then, and I didn't get my pay yet. I actually saved some pay just for Winter Sales this year though :p

Is the Steam-overlay crashing constantly for anyone else?

Only since yesterday, it was never a problem before. No anti-virus or anything installed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I thought Driver is steamworks.

It's not. There are only a few rare exceptions when it comes to Ubisoft (literally, the 2 exceptions: that one Heroes of Might and Magic game that Ubisoft distributed and some download codes sold through Amazon.com)

Is the Steam-overlay crashing constantly for anyone else?

Only since yesterday, it was never a problem before. No anti-virus or anything installed.

I've been having problems with the overlay, too. It is behaving oddly, randomly closing and causing keys to not respond properly within games.

Addnan

Steam servers are fast aren't they.

xU4gk.png

Finally get to play
lol
the games I bought last sale.

Bring on winter sale.

G-Fex

I was bored and bought Alan Wake american nightmare to play arcade mode.

And I even got Warhammer game, I didn't like the demo but I'll try to make myself like it, it has to be good after a while.

Is that towns game any good? I dl'd the demo.

Joe Molotov

Miner Wars 2081 has fun & action-y storyline missions. Exploring out on my own has been somewhat of a letdown, but I did find some nazi zombies at an abandoned church in space, so there's potential! I'm still in my first ship too, so I've barely scratched the surface of the missions. The game definitely didn't tank to $5 because it's a piece of crap; if you like mission/combat/infiltration based space games you should definitely pick it up. If you go in expecting robust and meaningful trading, open exploration etc like some of the classics people are always asking about -- "Is it like ______????!!??!?" -- you'll probably be disappointed.

I mean the open exploration is there, it just feels very bare bones and meaningless vs sticking to the main missions, especially since itemization is so limited. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD suffered from the same issues but I still had fun with it. Miner Wars 2081 missions and feeling of variety blow GoF2 out of the water from the very start though.

We need to co-op Xel, and fight them Space Nazis Zombies together.

I was bored and bought Alan Wake american nightmare to play arcade mode.

And I even got Warhammer game, I didn't like the demo but I'll try to make myself like it, it has to be good after a while.

Is that towns game any good? I dl'd the demo.

Played it many months ago, so it's probably changed since then. It was an interesting idea, but at the time it didn't really have a tutorial so it was hard to know what to do, and how to do it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Here you go.

(The short version of the answer is: "always online DRM" and "Miner Wars 2081")

Miner Wars 2081. It uses an always-on DRM system.

It's understandable when a company like Ubisoft does it because they have a corporate policy of "fuck you, asshole." But when a small indie does it, it kind of runs counter to what indie development is all about.
Thanks. I can't browse Steam at work, so the short version was really useful. Is the DRM still on, or have they taken it out?

I thought Driver is steamworks.
Nope, it launches the stupid Uplay when you run the game from Steam. Which totally sucks if you play with a gamepad from a couch.

I posted this in the big picture thread but im looking for maximum input:

"I'd like to use my 360 pad as my mouse with the great acceleration and feel of the pointer in Big Picture mode, anyone have any ideas?

And if anyone knows a way to use that flower-style typing tool with the joysticks outside of steam on a gamepad in Windows... please do tell.

Anyone have a guide to making a Shutdown/Standby shortcuts for Steam. Or how to get Win7 to boot into Big Picture Mode?

I just got a new TV tto use for my PC and have a Razer Onza I'd like to use from my bed... :D"

Someone in the Big Picture Thread suggested ControlMK, if anyone has a profile to share for that or any other suggestions, all are welcome.

Joe Molotov

Thanks. I can't browse Steam at work, so the short version was really useful. Is the DRM still on, or have they taken it out?

It's a Diablo 3 type situation, where some of the data and processing is done server-side, so there's no way to play the game offline. It's kinda scary because unlike Blizzard, there's no way of knowing if these guys are gonna go tits up a few months down the road. That's why I avoided it at first, but for less than $4, I'll take a chance.

wazoo

Eventually some sort of intelligence will be shown. Till then, Is it Steam?

Anno 2070 and Settlers 7 Gold. Its tempting. Very tempting. But I don't think I can spend that much on the UbiDRM. I think Settlers still needs to be always connected.

now, all Ubi Games connect and update via uplay.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Holy shit I love arcade mode in Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Should I buy the original Alan Wake too?

The game is great (especially on the hardest difficulty, IMO) but the combat is nowhere near as refined as American Nightmare's. Your weapon selection is fairly limited and you tend to whiff dodges slightly more frequently. That said, if you dug the story, are a fan of Twin Peaks and Stephen King, and don't expect it to be a horror game outright then I would say yes.

Buy the game it's one of my favorites

The game is great (especially on the hardest difficulty, IMO) but the combat is nowhere near as refined as American Nightmare's. Your weapon selection is fairly limited and you tend to whiff dodges slightly more frequently. That said, if you dug the story, are a fan of Twin Peaks and Stephen King, and don't expect it to be a horror game outright then I would say yes.

You forgot Twilight Zone.

Tizoc

So the new dail deal is Battle Chess...
...and the main 3 Soul Reaver games are on Steam now~ I already got them from GoG.com along with other games.

Speaking of which, seeing as the SR license is owned by S-E now (IIRC), what classic games would you like for S-E to have released on Steam or GoG?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a Diablo 3 type situation, where some of the data and processing is done server-side, so there's no way to play the game offline. It's kinda scary because unlike Blizzard, there's no way of knowing of these guys are gonna go tits up a few months down the road. That's why I avoiding it at first, but for less than $4, I'll take a chance.
Well, they won't get my money then. An always online connection is unnecessary in this case, and for $4 it's obvious that whoever pirates this game isn't interested in ever buying it, making the DRM superfluous.

Just finished To The Moon in one sitting, as I'd heard it was pretty short.

Very nice story, I like how in the end the credits imply it will turn into a series with more episodes.

G-Fex

Well I don't like that jump scare bullshit but I like what gameplay I've seen on stream.

So long as it's entertaining to stream then yes, I'll like it.

Yes, because the game is wonderful.

Cool

never watched twin peaks or much stephen king btw...

iNvid02

word of warning, settlers and anno still need to be connected all the time i think. them and hawx 2 still have their old style of always on drm and are stuck with it.

the others are ok though

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The combat might be better in American Nightmare, but Alan Wake is a much better game overall. American Nightmare just like sucked everything great about the first game out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom