• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Yeah, I've got all that done. I had my account stolen over 3 years ago and that took a painful five days.

Wondering if it's any faster now - I'd hate to spend the weekend checking the support ticket rather than actually playing.

Never been in your situation so I dunno if it's faster now, but steam support always answer my question within a day.

You don't have any other game to play that doesn't require steam, origin or uplay? xD

Is it just me or does Game Save Manager (a third party tool) not recognize a lot of game save locations? It doesn't recognize any of these games:

Binary Domain
Dark Souls
SR3
The Walking Dead

Heck, two of them are known for buggy saves and need to be backed up.

Ledsen

Is it just me or does Game Save Manager (a third party tool) not recognize a lot of game save locations? It doesn't recognize any of these games:

Binary Domain
Dark Souls
SR3
The Walking Dead

Do you have the new version (3) updated with the latest files? Those games are recognized for me.

How is Magicka? Any good?

Yes but having played from launch I keep getting bothered that they overhauled various major mechanics and started introducing all sorts of ridiculous DLC. It's hard to keep up for an old man like me but you'll probably have a blast if you jump on.

Warning though, online play may be shit and laggy even for people in the same city as you.

mannerbot

Binary Domain
Dark Souls
SR3
The Walking Dead

I don't know about those particular games but GameSave Manager didn't work too well for me. I had to manually back up most of my saves when I got a new computer.

Echoplx

Binary Domain
Dark Souls
SR3
The Walking Dead

BD, SR3 and TWD all use Steam Cloud, you have to manually set GSM to backup Steam cloud enabled saves as it doesn't do so by default for obvious reasons.

Dark Souls uses GFWL which is a bit more complicated to back up, but should work.

Ledsen

I don't know about those particular games but GameSave Manager didn't work too well for me. I had to manually back up most of my saves when I got a new computer.

What did you have problems with? Works perfectly for me, but you do have to change some settings to make it optimal. After you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

Works fantastically for me as well.
I don't like the frequency with which it updates, which is pretty much every time I start the program, but the backup itself is super fast and painless and goes directly into my Dropbox.

Sysgen

Transcripted ($9.99), there's a demo up
http://store.steampowered.com/app/215450/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

up for a buck on gamefly. not sure how the game is
http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Transcripted/5004480/

edit: code 1GFT1112 20% off, down to 80 cents
game seems pretty neat

Been playing this. Think twin stick shooter mixed with Zuma / Luxor, chains and all, of which there is a well voice acted Biological story about the spread of a virus and apparently the match chains are DNA. Additionally you can customize your play experience though in game ship upgrades. Well worth that Gamefly price. No brainer.

Kabouter

What is the option "add to game explorer" in the contextual menu in steam app ?

Game explorer is that Windows thing that keeps shortcuts for all the games you have installed. Adding it to that will add a shortcut to the game there. It's quite pointless.

Xyber

I don't know if this is well known here, but I'll just post it anyway for those who don't know. You can launch Big Picture Mode by holding down the guide button on your 360 controller for about 5 seconds. Steam doesn't even have to be the active window.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't know if this is well known here, but I'll just post it anyway for those who don't know. You can launch Big Picture Mode by holding down the guide button on your 360 controller for about 5 seconds. Steam doesn't even have to be the active window.

ib1i4UPqwhWjiS.gif

didamangi

Aw yeah!! They just have to get the steam window to minimize to tray again on exit now and it will be perfect.

Gaspode_T

So happy to see Dead Pixels up on Steam ... great price for a great game, worth buying if you are a fan of games like River City Ransom/Scott Pilgrim (it is a little more gun oriented but how you navigate town and shops is somewhat obviously influenced by RCR )

mannerbot

What did you have problems with? Works perfectly for me, but you do have to change some settings to make it optimal. After you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

I didn't tweak settings or anything, I just ran it and I saw a big list of game names and figured it would be great. As it turned out, basically none of the saves I actually wanted (to be fair, mostly small or indie games) were backed up.

Hey guys, you can get a GMG 35% code if you do their survey.

.....Or get it here: WINTR-SRVEY-42012

Heh, I thought they'd give out unique codes. Guess not. It's single use per account and valid until Jan 1st, so write it down somewhere and don't forget about it.

Still you should do the survey, it might help improve the service and takes like 5 minutes
ow.ly/fVMCt

Grief.exe

Sweet, I took the GMG survey, which means it's time to preorder Dead Space 3. It's not coming to Steam, right?

I would be careful. The word of mouth around that game is pretty poor.

35% discount is not uncommon, would wait closer to release or even after. EA game prices seem to drop like a rock.

That's nice. Early in the beta, you didn't need the Steam window open to launch BPM but they blocked that with a patch.

jediyoshi

Ravaged $1.87
https://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/ravaged/
GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6

LEGO LOTR $21
https://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/lego-lord-rings-na/
GMG30-KDJQC-BWQCE
(LEGO Batman 2 on sale today too, doesn't seem to be steam)

Doom 3 BFG $18
https://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/doom-3-bfg-edition/
GMG40-9X5OP-PBQA8

Been playing this. Think twin stick shooter mixed with Zuma / Luxor, chains and all, of which there is a well voice acted Biological story about the spread of a virus and apparently the match chains are DNA. Additionally you can customize your play experience though in game ship upgrades. Well worth that Gamefly price. No brainer.

Yeah, the VA and story is oddly interesting so far. Sold me pretty quick from the demo.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Whelp, just finished Hotline Miami in one sitting.

- One freeze while loading one of the chapters, but otherwise no technical issues
- Personally didn't have any issues with the visual effects that some people have gotten nauseous from
- Playthough clocked in at around 5 hours with a snack break in between
- Kind of game that sucks you in and you keep right on trying after each death
- Some of the collision detection needs work, especially at point blank
- Certain cutscenes are unskippable - very annoying to have to keep watching them after each death
- People who can't appreciate Tarrantino films may be put off by the graphic violence

I liked it a lot, but I did feel like I was fighting the controls somewhat. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it almost feels like the game has autoaiming (I don't mean the scroll wheel), where the game is trying to wrest control of the reticle away from me when it's near an enemy. Or maybe it's the huge pixels that causes aiming to jump and not be smooth.
My main problem with Hotline is that the background (i.e. the gaudy floor, dead bodies, the blood, etc) is the exact same color palette as the foreground (i.e. pickups, the people trying to kill you, etc.). And there's almost no HUD so sometimes I forget what weapon I'm carrying. But it's still one of the best action games of the year. So good.

Salsa

well shit

you have to hold it a long ass time tho

edit: holy crap at Ravaged for a dollar, lmao. Game was $20 when it released like 3 weeks ago

Wok

I am going to start playing Metro 2033 and I have found a way to skip the intro movies on the SPUF which consists in replacing content.upk9 with the one in an archive called Metro_2033_No_Intro_Fix. I don't know how legal or virus-safe this method is. Has someone already tried this?

Joe Molotov

I was wondering where everyone was getting all the extra Brazen codes, I didn't notice they gave everyone 4 copies of it. I didn't even beat the average and they gave me 4 copies, lol.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
well shit

you have to hold it a long ass time tho

edit: holy crap at Ravaged for a dollar, lmao. Game was $20 when it released like 3 weeks ago
They disabled the demo and suddenly all the servers were empty. And then, panic.

It kind of reminds me of Homefront's MP in larger maps.

Blizzard

Banned
Tryst has such nice review quotes picked for their page, but such a terrible review average. :p

Here's something I thought was neat. The current set of games at the top of the Steam store window are rather a nice variety, not all the same style/genre. Please forgive the lack of alignment since I pasted them all in by hand.

store1cnonb.png

Is it me, or does Steam have to 'update the platform' every time I sign in these days? It never takes more than a minute or so, but still it's kinda annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom