• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the fate of almost every indie multiplayer release. I think that Chivalry and Natural Selection II are some of the only successes in recent memory.

1-D_FTW

Is it me, or does Steam have to 'update the platform' every time I sign in these days? It never takes more than a minute or so, but still it's kinda annoying.

Are you running the beta?

That's a good question. I opted out once BPM was released and my constant updates ended. But I sometimes wonder if there are just glitches that cause this. So I'm curious to see whether he's in or not.

That's a good question. I opted out once BPM was released and my constant updates ended. But I sometimes wonder if there are just glitches that cause this. So I'm curious to see whether he's in or not.

In my experience it's the beta that does it. Never had problems with the regular client.

Blizzard

Banned
This is the fate of almost every indie multiplayer release. I think that Chivalry and Natural Selection II are some of the only successes in recent memory.
Going further back, Mount and Blade (Is that considered indie? It won an indie game award) Warband has also kept a pretty decent crowd playing.

I agree in general though. Releasing an indie multiplayer game is a scary thing to contemplate. I'm trying to make one myself, but I want to make sure it can at least also be played against AI and whatnot, or co-op against AI. :p

Salsa

thing is chivalry/natural selection/warband offered interesting takes on MP games that big companies couldnt risk

Ravaged is basically Battlefield 3 with a RAGE skin, so yeah. Not sure what they were thinking

1-D_FTW

I just had the urge to buy RE4.

Hey, UBI, why no RE4 on Steam? Is it because of Capcom? Hey Capcom, why no RE4 on Steam? Settle this, gentlemen. I'd like to replay this in 3D if you don't mind.

Ah, yes I am. But assumed it was over, as Big Picture Mode is now all over the front page?

the beta programme is always going, it's just that bpm was the main part of the beta client until recently. you still have to opt out to stop getting the frequent beta updates.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Hey, UBI, why no RE4 on Steam? Is it because of Capcom? Hey Capcom, why no RE4 on Steam? Settle this, gentlemen. I'd like to replay this in 3D if you don't mind.

I see no reason why they couldnt port the HD one they released on Xbox and psn..

Berto

I would buy RE1, 2, 3, 4 on Steam. Do it Capcpom.

I heard some mods improve it quite a bit. Maybe he could play it on Dolphin, asuming he has a Wii.

that's the best option imo. there is an enb mod for re4, as well as a high-res texture pack, but it can't salvage the port. if you have no other choice, sure, but with re4 there are so many better ports you could be playing so there's no reason to suffer through it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
thing is chivalry/natural selection/warband offered interesting takes on MP games that big companies couldnt risk

Ravaged is basically Battlefield 3 with a RAGE skin, so yeah. Not sure what they were thinking
It would have been fine if it was vehicle only, like Interstate 76.

1-D_FTW

that's the best option imo. there is an enb mod for re4, as well as a high-res texture pack, but it can't salvage the port. if you have no other choice, sure, but with re4 there are so many better ports you could be playing so there's no reason to suffer through it.

Replaying it in stereo 3D is why I'd want the PC version. Seems like mods have settled most of the major issues with it.

Replaying it in stereo 3D is why I'd want the PC version. Seems like mods have settled most of the major issues with it.

fair enough, though if you have an nvidia card I'm pretty sure you can play the wii version in dolphin with 3d vision. incidentally I dusted off my copy and played it about a year ago by the way, that's where these grumbles are coming from. aside from anything else, the utterly abysmal controller support which ultimately meant that I turned it off and mapped my controller to the m/kb controls using xpadder instead left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

cicero

Is Brazen from the Amnesia Fortnight Bundle worth the $5 it would take to bump up my initial contribution to beat the average?

Figure this is as good a place as any to ask:

When i tried to install a new game from my Library to my C: drive, it was full but a bit further down it says "Do you want to create a new Steam library on drive D:"

Now what exactly happens here if i do that? Why new library? Can't i just install MORE games of the same "library" on D:? Meaning i would split my games by having some on my main partition and some on the other or what does this mean exactly?

Figure this is as good a place as any to ask:

When i tried to install a new game from my Library to my C: drive, it was full but a bit further down it says "Do you want to create a new Steam library on drive D:"

Now what exactly happens here if i do that? Why new library? Can't i just install MORE games of the same "library" on D:? Meaning i would split my games by having some on my main partition and some on the other or what does this mean exactly?

It just installs games on the other drive. Your Steam game library won't change.

The last 2 levels or so of Tomb Raider Anniversary were so infuriating, I had to stay up until now (3.30AM) to beat them because I knew I wouldn't have returned to the game ever. Way to pull down an otherwise fantastic game down a few notches.

Rufus

The last 2 levels or so of Tomb Raider Anniversary were so infuriating, I had to stay up until now (3.30AM) to beat them because I knew I wouldn't have returned to the game ever. Way to pull down an otherwise fantastic game down a few notches.
Let me guess: you got stuck ascending the shaft. Near the top where it that suggests you go one way, but the timing is so extremely narrow that it makes you want to break things? Then you go to Youtube for help and find out there's a much, much easier path?

Nabs

I loved all the levels, but the T-Rex and Centaurs can go burn. Thank you Youtube.

I don't know if this is well known here, but I'll just post it anyway for those who don't know. You can launch Big Picture Mode by holding down the guide button on your 360 controller for about 5 seconds. Steam doesn't even have to be the active window.

HORY FACKING SHET
ip6Q3FZtXqQf5.gif

Valve is god, confirmed.

HoosTrax

Anyone try the closed beta for Don't Starve yet? How raw is it?

It's kind of strange seeing it ahead of BLOPS2...preordering something four months ahead of release is a little much for me, but I guess being able to offer input on the development of the game sounds kind of neat.

KPJZKC

It's kind of strange seeing it ahead of BLOPS2...preordering something four months ahead of release is a little much for me, but I guess being able to offer input on the development of the game sounds kind of neat.

I'm pretty interested in finding out what it's like too, if anybody is up for splitting the double pack let me know :s

I've been playing it a bit. Its a lot of fun. Your goal is basically to survive so far the longest I've lasted is six days, but almost every time I've died its more been because I over extended myself and tried to fight wildlife I wasn't ready for and less because I ran out of resources.

Exuro

I don't know if this is well known here, but I'll just post it anyway for those who don't know. You can launch Big Picture Mode by holding down the guide button on your 360 controller for about 5 seconds. Steam doesn't even have to be the active window.
That is pretty cool. They need to make it so it moves in front of other windows. Was able to start it up, but my browser is taking up half of the screen.

bigace33

That is pretty cool. They need to make it so it moves in front of other windows. Was able to start it up, but my browser is taking up half of the screen.

The PS3 controller does it as well. Just hit the PS button and up pops Big picture mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom