• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDub

Just got BF2 Bad Company on sale, but I get this message everytime I try to join a game:

"Connection lost. Please check your internet connection"

Nabs

Technically you can still buy them through GFWL on xbox.com and they'll be compatible

It's 10 bucks for Harley Quinn's Revenge alone. If you register AC on Steam, the GOTY edition drops to that price and you get an extra copy of the game in your library :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just got BF2 Bad Company on sale, but I get this message everytime I try to join a game:

"Connection lost. Please check your internet connection"
I had to run it as admin to clear that error. It's the Origin version though.

BC2 Rush isn't half bad but I remember rage quitting Conquest forever.

Relax.MX

What you think about Vessel? I have a hour maybe more and I can't get into.. The move of the character feels a little awkward.. The puzzle improve?

I need a game to really love to many meh-good decition to play lately

Dr Dogg

You can buy another 1 dollar game

Was thinking that as soon as I hit post. But how many $1 are there left that we all don't own or are a bit rubbish (even for a dollar). I supposes with the new weekly Humble deals you never know.

deejay

Anybody play Tales of Werewolves? I heard it's great, but need some more general thoughts.

I've only played the tutorial so far and it's pretty fun. It's starting to open up now and you get to pick upgrades for your character and his equipment. It reminds me of Orcs Must Die, but I haven't seen too many traps at this point. But you're actively fighting against werewolves as well, so it's not just trapbuilding.
The voices are ok, by the way. Nothing special, but not that bad either. I'd have to say mediocre I guess.

Nabs

What you think about Vessel? I have a hour maybe more and I can't get into.. The move of the character feels a little awkward.. The puzzle improve?

I need a game to really love to many meh-good decition to play lately

I can't promise you'll like the game, but I thought it got really good after that first hour (the tutorial). Remember to explore the areas and use the pause menu to teleport around.

Yaska

No, I did that with COD4 a couple of weeks ago. Do I have to do it again? Doesnt it update on its own?

Yeah you have to update BC2 PB as well. Atleast that's how I fixed my connection errors. Also as stated above somewhere, try to run it as administrator.

Mozendo

The virtues of DRM.

lxYCE.png

Dr Dogg

Well after close to 2 days of downloading COH2 beta I'm now struming my fingers waiting for Steam to come back up. Going out in an hour so the timing is bloody typical. Oh well might have to delve into the backlog.

It's serious.

It went down right when I had a key I needed to activate.

Ohhhhhhh. I've had Steam eat a key once when I got disconnected. That was a fun experience with support.

Arucardo

Bah, just when I wanted to fire up RO2 and decimate some newbies :( . RO2 is like a shooting range right now with all the people trying it, haha.

Blizzard

Banned
What kills me with funny is that some users in this thread are mocking the recent console developments in relation to the always online, when their favorite online service pulls of similar sh!t. XD
But wait, did this stop people from playing games? Or did it just stop them from activating codes (which would require an internet connection anyway)? If someone was in the middle of playing an offline game and the outage made the game freeze, then that would be a problem for sure.

Some games have cloud saves, sure, but sometimes you can choose between your local copy and the cloud, and you -may- be able to opt out of cloud saves on some games. And at least cloud saves are providing a benefit over DRM -- allowing you to play the same save file on different computers.

But wait, did this stop people from playing games?

Not sure, did anybody try and play one? ;)

The whole "xbox online isn't a big deal, even steam offline mode doesn't really work" argument really annoyed me in that thread. Just because something is broken for nine years doesn't mean you should go on about it months after it is fixed.

Mozendo

But wait, did this stop people from playing games? Or did it just stop them from activating codes (which would require an internet connection anyway)? If someone was in the middle of playing an offline game and the outage made the game freeze, then that would be a problem for sure.

Some games have cloud saves, sure, but sometimes you can choose between your local copy and the cloud, and you -may- be able to opt out of cloud saves on some games. And at least cloud saves are providing a benefit over DRM -- allowing you to play the same save file on different computers.

And you forgot to add that Steam has an offline mode.

Pand

I messed up, Gaf.

I'm from Europe, just bought Dead Island GOTY from Amazon.com, tried to activate it in Steam only to be greeted by a "This code is unavailabe in your region" message. Activating it with a VPN might get me banned, which is not a chance I'm willing to take, so are there any other options or should I try to get my money back from Amazon?

The point is, to this day Steam gives a downgraded and not reliable experience when offline. Achievements not working properly or offline mode some times working or other times not. All because Steam doesn't want to be a little more flexible with the user, by properly fix the offline mode and give some more fair breathing room for when to run online checks.

Still it doesn't matter, when Steam was even worse than it is now with offline mode, the same people defended the service. I'll do my consumer part of the war and complain until it works properly.

Still it doesn't matter, when Steam was even worse than it is now with offline mode, the same people defended the service. I'll do my consumer part of the war and complain until it works properly.

How is it still broken? I don't take any notice of achievements so I can't really disagree with what goes on there. But I often don't have a net connection as I travel frequently and have not hit a problem lately starting it and playing games.

I'm all for complaining about stuff, but all I tend to hear is people waving their hand and saying "it doesn't work properly". Do you have a set of steps I can follow to understand?

1-D_FTW

Dollar minimum for steam/gog key, it breaks it down in checkout

Nice find. Thanks! Although I threw a little more than that at them. Really did seem like a nice little game from the demo.

bought this for 2.5 bucks like 2 weeks ago UGH refund

Was this on Steam? I was waiting for a 75 percent off sale and thought it never happened.

Of course, if it was GMG, that explains how I would have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom