• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

FOr as long as I have used steam..my offline works flawlessly. I am not here to defend. But I done this with multiple machines.

I must be lucky.

Xanathus

Is there some sort of big Internet hacking epidemic going on? Warframe servers are being flaky, Mass Effect 3 servers are apparently down, Harmonix's servers are being attacked, and Steam went down awhile ago.

MRORANGE

Is there some sort of big Internet hacking epidemic going on? Warframe servers are being flaky, Mass Effect 3 servers are apparently down, Harmonix's servers are being attacked, and Steam went down awhile ago.

Steam always goes down. It's like a bi-weekly thing when steam goes down and we all panic and jump to origin until it's back up.

Buft

Neo Member
FOr as long as I have used steam..my offline works flawlessly. I am not here to defend. But I done this with multiple machines.

I must be lucky.

It used to work for me too, then suddenly it didn't. The only thing I changed is my ISP, I went from Talk Talk to BT and while i get a higher speed now my new provider throttles during the day and my steam offline does not work.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got majorly fucked over by Offline Mode earlier this year. It simply just stopped working for me. Most of my games suddenly stopped loading because they couldn't connect to the Steam server or some shit. Then after restarting my computer without changing any settings, I couldn't even get in to Steam. It doesn't always fail to work, when it does it sucks BAD.

It used to work for me too, then suddenly it didn't. The only thing I changed is my ISP, I went from Talk Talk to BT and while i get a higher speed now my new provider throttles during the day and my steam offline does not work.

When you say it didn't work though, were you fully offline or just not able to connect to steam?

If it happens again, disable your network connection completely when starting it and see if that helps. I think there is a big difference between being "offline" and just not "having trouble getting to steam".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've always been able to abuse Offline mode perfectly fine so that my younger brother could play singleplayer games on my account while I use it online normally. It's a pretty fucking great way to use the mode.

Dr Dogg

Offline mode can be a fickle beast. Sometimes when I don't have a connection it can start up just fine others it requires you to go online first then restart. Never had a problem when my connection has dropped and I'm already signed in. As Stallion says though it is open to abuse especially with games that don't require Steam to be connected or using login based multiplayer ie LAN enabled titles.

vermadas

So last night I fried my wired 360 controller with static electricity. It had been serving me well after having had two of the Microsoft "wireless gaming receivers" short out on me over the years (now I'm wishing I held out to them because I found out later that there's a somewhat easy soldering fix you can do for them).

I'm debating whether or not to replace it with another wired controller or to try my luck with one of the Chinese knockoff gaming receivers on Amazon. I have several wireless 360 controllers lying around so it would be the cheaper option. It looks like from the reviews on Amazon that it works in Windows 8 with the built-in driver.

So while I was using the wireless controller I remember running into a couple games that didn't support it as well or at all, even though they worked fine with the wired controller. Is that still the case with the games coming out recently? Anyone else have experience with the knockoff gaming receiver they can share?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Are they ever going to do anything more with Oddworld Munch's Odyssey the way they did with Stranger's Wrath? Or is it fine to just go play it now?

Dr Dogg

Are they ever going to do anything more with Oddworld Munch's Odyssey the way they did with Stranger's Wrath? Or is it fine to just go play it now?

If you mean like a HD Remaster then Munch's Odyssey got the same treatment on PS3 in December and is soon having a Vita port soon (was listed as February but I haven't seen anything yet). When Strangers Wrath came to PC it was about 9 months after the initial PS3 release. I haven't heard anything about a release yet but I can't recall Strangers Wrath getting a big announcement either.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you mean like a HD Remaster then Munch's Odyssey got the same treatment on PS3 in December and is soon having a Vita port soon (was listed as February but I haven't seen anything yet). When Strangers Wrath came to PC it was about 9 months after the initial PS3 release. I haven't heard anything about a release yet but I can't recall Strangers Wrath getting a big announcement either.
Yeah the SW update took forever to come to the PC release. I think I'll just wait on Munch then.

Sblargh

Banned
Guys, c'mon, Steam works offline since forever. Where did this "steam is always-on DRM" came from?

It doesn't even make sense. 95% of my games are from Steam, if Steam was always on DRM, then 95% of my games would be SimCity.

Javaman

I've heard one of the things that helps offline mode to work is launching the game at least once while online. If you just download it there's no guarantee that it'll work.

tjohn86

Anyone know if Papa & Yo will have achievements, cloud, controller support, etc?

The store page just says single player.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone know if Papa & Yo will have achievements, cloud, controller support, etc?

The store page just says single player.
It has controller support.

http://www.weareminority.com/blog/pre-order-papo-yo-for-pc/

1. What are the differences between the PSN version and the PC version?

Purchasers will be delighted to find the following upgrades:

- Better graphics and new visual effects
- Improved controls
- Improved character animation and cinematics (including some facial animations)
- More robust gameplay – lots of bugs fixed
- Full controller support for Steam Big Picture mode
- Multi-monitor support

Zeknurn

So last night I fried my wired 360 controller with static electricity. It had been serving me well after having had two of the Microsoft "wireless gaming receivers" short out on me over the years (now I'm wishing I held out to them because I found out later that there's a somewhat easy soldering fix you can do for them).

I'm debating whether or not to replace it with another wired controller or to try my luck with one of the Chinese knockoff gaming receivers on Amazon. I have several wireless 360 controllers lying around so it would be the cheaper option. It looks like from the reviews on Amazon that it works in Windows 8 with the built-in driver.

So while I was using the wireless controller I remember running into a couple games that didn't support it as well or at all, even though they worked fine with the wired controller. Is that still the case with the games coming out recently? Anyone else have experience with the knockoff gaming receiver they can share?

I have been rocking a Chinese knock-off wireless receiver from dealextreme for over two or three years now without any problems.
The version I have requires me to manually specify the driver via device manager but that's a once per Windows install thing. It's nothing that bothers me.

As for game compatibility I can't think of any game that hasn't worked with the xbox 360 wireless controller since the first Assassin's Creed.

Finished Spec Ops: The Line with
all its endings

It was a decent ride with a neat revelation at the end that doesn't completely redeem the tedious gameplay and ham-fisted shock-moments that came before it. For example
the white phosphorus scene was completely lost on me because I didn't want to use it anyway. I guess the loophole here is that I'm acting like Walker, saying I was forced to do it but I don't think it's as effective as the developers probably intended.

Still, it made me think about the story more than the average game and it tried some interesting things that set it apart from other military shooter. I can't shake the feeling that it'd have been better as a shorter, less action-focused game without MP and at a lower price-point.

Relax.MX

Daily deal:

Sniper Elite
-75% $9.99 $2.49 USD
Sniper Elite V2
-75% $49.99 $12.49 USD
Sniper Elite V2 - Kill Hitler + 2 Rifles
-75% $7.99 $1.99 USD

Complete package:
$13.74 USD Costes

Relax.MX

I don't have new RPGs so I guess I'm gonna replay Mass Effect(last time was on 360), I remember ME2 was very easy but.. The first one? I start with the higher difficulty? Any good mod?

Anyone who bought that Borderlands 2+season pass deal from Amazon, do you see the level cap increase DLC in your Steam account or in game?

I saw it when I first installed it yesterday but now it's not there. I was reading the steam forums and others are having the same problems. Just wondering if anyone figured out how to solve that or if that's just a bug on Steam's part.

I don't have new RPGs so I guess I'm gonna replay Mass Effect(last time was on 360), I remember ME2 was very easy but.. The first one? I start with the higher difficulty? Any good mod?

There's a pretty good paid mod called Alpha Protocol. You don't even need the base game.

Dr Dogg

Well as an added plus if you've been playing Super Hexagon the door hacking mini game is a piece of cake. Really the higher difficulties require a decent mix of powers. Though I played it more for the world than the challenge.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What kills me with funny is that some users in this thread are mocking the recent console developments in relation to the always online, when their favorite online service pulls of similar sh!t. XD
But Steam isn't always online. You can still play your games without a connection.

Relax.MX

There's a pretty good paid mod called Alpha Protocol. You don't even need the base game.

Then Mass Effect is not a standalone mod of Alpha Protocol?

Already finished AP.. And is great!! I need new RPGs :( any new big RPG coming soon? Still to long for The Witcher 3

Blizzard

Banned
The point is, to this day Steam gives a downgraded and not reliable experience when offline. Achievements not working properly or offline mode some times working or other times not. All because Steam doesn't want to be a little more flexible with the user, by properly fix the offline mode and give some more fair breathing room for when to run online checks.

Still it doesn't matter, when Steam was even worse than it is now with offline mode, the same people defended the service. I'll do my consumer part of the war and complain until it works properly.
My point wasn't to be a Defender Of The Service. I can be quite a vocal critic about various Steam issues, and I have been for years. I'm always reminding people about how the option to prevent games from updating doesn't actually let you play unpatched games, as far as I know.

But my point was, though yes it's always good to make things better and more reliable, comparing Steam to always online DRM systems just plain isn't accurate. Take some of Ubisoft's games for instance. For a while, your SINGLEPLAYER GAME WOULD FREEZE if your ISP went flaky. Steam has offline mode (yes it could probably still be better, even though that opens the opportunity for license violations playing multiple copies at the same time), and you can still launch and play games even if community or the store or whatever goes down.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Then Mass Effect is not a standalone mod of Alpha Protocol?

Already finished AP.. And is great!! I need new RPGs :( any new big RPG coming soon? Still to long for The Witcher 3
Here's my favorite RPG:
j4n.jpg

Or $7.50 if you don't have the fortune of being American.

Anyone who bought that Borderlands 2+season pass deal from Amazon, do you see the level cap increase DLC in your Steam account or in game?

I saw it when I first installed it yesterday but now it's not there. I was reading the steam forums and others are having the same problems. Just wondering if anyone figured out how to solve that or if that's just a bug on Steam's part.

I checked and have the same issue it seems.

But Steam isn't always online. You can still play your games without a connection.
But my point was, though yes it's always good to make things better and more reliable, comparing Steam to always online DRM systems just plain isn't accurate. Take some of Ubisoft's games for instance. For a while, your SINGLEPLAYER GAME WOULD FREEZE if your ISP went flaky. Steam has offline mode (yes it could probably still be better, even though that opens the opportunity for license violations playing multiple copies at the same time), and you can still launch and play games even if community or the store or whatever goes down.
The issue is avoiding you my friends. Let me try to explain, in advance my apologies for my limited english skills.

My point wasn't specifically about Steam's offline mode, im looking at the broader picture here. Some users here are mocking the console guys when in reality we are all screwed anyways, few have it worse in the short term than others. But in the end we are no less grabbed by the balls in equal terms. We Steam users are just a TOS away from having a similar fate to the console users.

If Steam wanted they could apply the always online system, and then what? You'll renounce your account? There's not such thing as game ownership in Steam, you are paying a service. If you are cool with it, then great but let's not ignore reality and worse make fun of other people disgrace when we are so near it.

Edit: SHould've said "offline mode" not "online mode"

The issue is avoiding you my friends. Let me try to explain, in advance my apologies for my limited english skills.

My point wasn't specifically about Steam's online mode, im looking at the broader picture here. Some users here are mocking the console guys when in reality we are all screwed anyways, few have it worse in the short term than others. But in the end we are no less grabbed by the balls in equal terms. We Steam users are just a TOS away from having a similar fate to the console users.

If Steam wanted they could apply the always online system, and then what? You'll renounce your account? There's not such thing as game ownership in Steam, you are paying a service. If you are cool with it, then great but let's not ignore reality and worse make fun of other people disgrace when we are so near it.

The problem with this argument is a little site known as The Pirate Bay, and the small fact that it has torrents to pretty much every game in the Steam catalogue for $0.00.

My point wasn't specifically about Steam's online mode, im looking at the broader picture here. Some users here are mocking the console guys when in reality we are all screwed anyways, few have it worse in the short term than others. But in the end we are no less grabbed by the balls in equal terms. We Steam users are just a TOS away from having a similar fate to the console users.

They'd be probably sued out their ass by some European consumer association.

Grief.exe

Of course. Where on earth do you think you get you can get most of your money from. Got a couple of surplus Sectoids? No problem sell them to some weirdo on eBay. It's probably someone like Danny Dyer.

The first few campaigns in XCOM always ending up discovering stuff the game forgets to tell you. Took me ages to realise you needed 6 engineers to build a new workshop giving you more engineers but you only start with 5. Games doesn't tell you that until you gain extra chaps from terror missions.

I like that though, I'm tired of games leading me around like I'm the lowest common denominator.

Just throw me in, teach me some mechanics, and let me figure the rest out.

If they did tell you everything there was to do in XCOM you would be constantly buried in menus and tutorial pages. The worst part of video games.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
By supporting Steam, what if we're really helping Gabe build a massive hydrogen bomb that he'll use to threaten the world and seize power with? I can hear him now, in dulcet tones explaining the impact of the weapon to be "Hiroshima-level times 3."

And where our excitement and evangelicalism once lay, fear would take stead. We would all come to fear the HL3 bomb.

Grief.exe

Its kind of sad that RO2 isn't even in the top 10 sellers on Steam, or even near the top 20 in concurrent users.

Good to see Evoland and AoE II up there in sales, the latter desperately needs a patch.

By supporting Steam, what if we're really helping Gabe build a massive hydrogen bomb that he'll use to threaten the world and seize power with? I can hear him now, in dulcet tones explaining the impact of the weapon to be "Hiroshima-level times 3."

And where our excitement and evangelicalism once lay, fear would take stead. We would all come to fear the HL3 bomb.

Hiroshima level times 3 would be a pretty small yield from today's more powerful bombs.

That's nice and whatnot but do we get too keep our games when Gaben announces his "Hydrogen Bomb" assuming that isn't a hidden fat joke?

Also I hope we'll get an apocalypse themed sale with that. You know %75 off Fallout 3 because I built a hydrogen bomb or similar.

Its kind of sad that RO2 isn't even in the top 10 sellers on Steam, or even near the top 20 in concurrent users.

I think everybody bought it with Humble Bundle Weekly for 1$ and still downloading it. I know I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom