• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mini Motor Racing EVO looks fun enough. Track editor! Someone who's played the PC version let us know how the controls are, online play, and AI.

Caerith

Just my opinion: I warmed up to the combat as the game went on. Leveling up certain skill trees and finding the best combinations of weapons, armor, and magic became really fun. Plus, now that I am stronger and quicker, I always have a weapon waiting to attack instead of waiting five seconds between each attack. The combat started out slow and boring but by about the 6th or so floor, I was really getting into it. As mentioned above, though, the real satisfaction in this game is the puzzles. For me, figuring out a secret and hearing the little chime and seeing SECRET FOUND flash on the screen is extremely gratifying. I also like how each floor has its own personality which makes it very memorable, as well as changing the wall types as you progress rather than just being the same stone all the way down. I'd say at least make it to floor 6 or so before you really judge it. It just takes awhile to get used to it, but it is worth it once you get comfortable.
I made it to floor 6 months ago and haven't picked it up since. I like dungeon exploration and stuff, but the combat is such a chore. I would enjoy Grimrock more if it had either no combat or a locked-in turn-based combat or something requiring some modicum of strategy, rather than the poor man's FPS circle-strafing.

Overdoziz

Banned
All I remember about FC2's ending was that I was pissed that you couldn't continue playing afterwards.

--

Also, that Tomb Raider pack looks very tempting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's really not, it's just a plot device. How long did you play?

I got half-way through the game twice and on a third run I actually finished it. The idea is stupid and the execution is even worse. It's pointless busy work getting pills and the malaria sickness adds nothing to the gameplay.

I rushed through the second half so I only had to use pills twice maybe, yet the game still forced me to go get pills at certain points.

Ledsen

Well I can only really speak for myself in why I love it so much so I'll try to explain. I'm not trying to convince you of anything just giving my reasons why :) I certainly wouldn't expect anyone who dislikes FC2 to all of a sudden go, 'Eureka that's brilliant!' :p

For me it's mostly about the game world, it's as much a character in the game as anything else. The atmosphere, the sound of everything in the world, the changing weather, the way it naturally shifts from one environment to another (a good example is going from a jungle area to a desert area in a way which doesn't feel forced). It's a game mostly about the journeys you have with some firefights and missions in between. The game is VERY samey in what you have to do, it's mostly kill someone or destroy a truck so you aren't playing it for mission variety. It's the approach it takes to this I love. It's incredibly laid back. Apart from when you are in a firefight you are never under pressure, I honestly find it very relaxing to play. If you get into it, you REALLY get into it. It's a very immersive world if you enjoy it. I would honestly prefer it over something like Crysis in terms of an actual game world. I can just enjoying wandering about the world looking for diamonds, taking in the atmosphere and walking through the jungle. There's a real sense of loneliness and place to FC2 that I really enjoy and I just don't get from other FPS. Even with games like Crysis, Stalker and FC3 I don't get that same sort of immersion or sense of place. Africa just really draws me in and keeps me engaged for hours upon hours.

Apart from the actual world it's also about the choice you have in approaching situations. Do you

1. Get as close as you can with a silenced pistol before finishing everyone off with a silenced machine gun ? (this is admittedly not easy to do, the stealth mechanics are flawed but it IS possible, the Dylans realism mod helps with this too)

2. Start throwing grenades and go in with a heavy machine gun ?

3. Stand atop of a hill nearby and use a sniper rifle to kill everyone ?

4. Use your flare to shoot at the grass nearby which somehow manages to engulfs everyone with flames ?

5. Stand atop of a hill with a big fucking rocket launcher killing everyone with that ?

6. Drive in with your vehicle and quickly switch to your mounted 50 cal shooting every motherfucker that moves ?

7. Go in guns blazing with your shotgun and run around like a madman ?

Every single one of these is a viable option to a situation and it just gives you a lot of freedom to fuck around. I love experimenting, I'm the sort of person who has to try every weapon and lots of combinations. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop everytime I go into the weapons room and can pick and choose. I can actually stand there and talk to myself for 5 mins on what I want to take to a mission. I love how every single mission is 'do what you want, just fuckin kill them'

Plus on the missions themselves you may have a plan and things go absolutely pear shaped making you think on the fly.

"Haha you fuckers I've killed you!"
"Oh wait there's one left, come here you"
"Shit, I'm out of ammo!"
You get shot and are on one bar of life left so you hide and pull the bullet from your leg. The guys still shooting at you and you're like "fuck I need to heal"
You heal and you run looking for the closest gun you can find. You pick one up and you shoot, your gun jams and you think you're screwed. Then right in front of you the guy you were shooting at keels over dead. You thank your lucky stars you escaped with that one. This all happens under various conditions too, it could be pitch black in the middle of the night, it could be during a beautiful sunset or sunrise, it could be during a thunderstorm or when its pissing with rain or even in the moonlight.

Then you've also got your buddies. They are essentially 'second chance' mechanisms but I love the way they are implemented. The one thing that always happens with me is that I completely forget about my buddies when in the middle of a firefight. Then I get shot and I'm on my last legs, the screen goes black and I'm thinking "alright, fuck, need to start this again" But you then hear shots, you're like "Fuck that's right!" Your buddy grabs you, moves you to a place, shoots a few bad guys nearby and hands you your pistol. You're back in the game son and you hide behind a tree with bullets whizzing past you whilst you heal up, removing bullets from legs and injecting yourself with 'health' You take that pistol and you shoot the last bastard dead in the head. You survived it, you don't know how the fuck you survived it but you did. Things like the malaria, gun jamming and guard checkpoints I don't mind at all but of course many folk hate them.

It's very much about the emergent moment to moment gameplay you can have and all the little stories it creates unique to you. Even now, 2 years after Far Cry 2 first came out, not a single other FPS has given me the experiences that game gives me and still continues to give me even now. Even Far Cry 3 didn't really gel with me. Apart from the amazing crossbow, the animal interaction and some takedown moves I didn't really feel a part of the world and I eventually got bored. It also doesn't help that I find its tropical island really boring and not very interesting to traverse or walk around. Again that's just my own personal opinion, I know some folks prefer that setting. I would never call FC3 a bad game but it simply isn't what I fancied out of a FC2 sequel, but well that's just me.

I apologise for the rambling, just typing what comes into my head. It's also by no means a perfect game, I can list various problems it has but everything good about that overcomes it. People easily call it 'boring' or a 'load of shite' and to be honest I can see how it comes across like that. There's nothing really like it. I still have friends on my friends list who will give me shit the odd time when they see me playing it :p

However it remains up there as one of my favourite FPS of all time and I don't regret that for one second. People can mock me for it and laugh away or whatever, I really don't give a fuck. For me FC2 is a completely absorbing game and one of the most interesting shooters ever made.

Anyway I'm not trying to turn this into a FC2 discussion thread (or trying to change anyones mind) and I certainly won't go on about it (and apologies for the length of the post) but I had a bit of time and just thought I'd write some thoughts on it and give my perspective :) Carry on! *slinks back into darkness*

You are a great person. This explains Far Cry 2's brilliance perfectly.

I couldn't play Far Cry 2 for more than 20 minutes before becoming overwhelmingly bored.

Guys Receiver may be a super alpha version of a game made in 7 days with no textures, but the 'gun game' of it is sooooooooo worth the $4 asking price. Really fun, sort of a rogue like in that the levels change around as well as loot and what gun you spawn with. Easily recommended little concept game.

Sajjaja

Well I can only really speak for myself in why I love it so much so I'll try to explain. I'm not trying to convince you of anything just giving my reasons why :) I certainly wouldn't expect anyone who dislikes FC2 to all of a sudden go, 'Eureka that's brilliant!' :p

For me it's mostly about the game world, it's as much a character in the game as anything else. The atmosphere, the sound of everything in the world, the changing weather, the way it naturally shifts from one environment to another (a good example is going from a jungle area to a desert area in a way which doesn't feel forced). It's a game mostly about the journeys you have with some firefights and missions in between. The game is VERY samey in what you have to do, it's mostly kill someone or destroy a truck so you aren't playing it for mission variety. It's the approach it takes to this I love. It's incredibly laid back. Apart from when you are in a firefight you are never under pressure, I honestly find it very relaxing to play. If you get into it, you REALLY get into it. It's a very immersive world if you enjoy it. I would honestly prefer it over something like Crysis in terms of an actual game world. I can just enjoying wandering about the world looking for diamonds, taking in the atmosphere and walking through the jungle. There's a real sense of loneliness and place to FC2 that I really enjoy and I just don't get from other FPS. Even with games like Crysis, Stalker and FC3 I don't get that same sort of immersion or sense of place. Africa just really draws me in and keeps me engaged for hours upon hours.

Apart from the actual world it's also about the choice you have in approaching situations. Do you

1. Get as close as you can with a silenced pistol before finishing everyone off with a silenced machine gun ? (this is admittedly not easy to do, the stealth mechanics are flawed but it IS possible, the Dylans realism mod helps with this too)

2. Start throwing grenades and go in with a heavy machine gun ?

3. Stand atop of a hill nearby and use a sniper rifle to kill everyone ?

4. Use your flare to shoot at the grass nearby which somehow manages to engulfs everyone with flames ?

5. Stand atop of a hill with a big fucking rocket launcher killing everyone with that ?

6. Drive in with your vehicle and quickly switch to your mounted 50 cal shooting every motherfucker that moves ?

7. Go in guns blazing with your shotgun and run around like a madman ?

Every single one of these is a viable option to a situation and it just gives you a lot of freedom to fuck around. I love experimenting, I'm the sort of person who has to try every weapon and lots of combinations. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop everytime I go into the weapons room and can pick and choose. I can actually stand there and talk to myself for 5 mins on what I want to take to a mission. I love how every single mission is 'do what you want, just fuckin kill them'

Plus on the missions themselves you may have a plan and things go absolutely pear shaped making you think on the fly.

"Haha you fuckers I've killed you!"
"Oh wait there's one left, come here you"
"Shit, I'm out of ammo!"
You get shot and are on one bar of life left so you hide and pull the bullet from your leg. The guys still shooting at you and you're like "fuck I need to heal"
You heal and you run looking for the closest gun you can find. You pick one up and you shoot, your gun jams and you think you're screwed. Then right in front of you the guy you were shooting at keels over dead. You thank your lucky stars you escaped with that one. This all happens under various conditions too, it could be pitch black in the middle of the night, it could be during a beautiful sunset or sunrise, it could be during a thunderstorm or when its pissing with rain or even in the moonlight.

Then you've also got your buddies. They are essentially 'second chance' mechanisms but I love the way they are implemented. The one thing that always happens with me is that I completely forget about my buddies when in the middle of a firefight. Then I get shot and I'm on my last legs, the screen goes black and I'm thinking "alright, fuck, need to start this again" But you then hear shots, you're like "Fuck that's right!" Your buddy grabs you, moves you to a place, shoots a few bad guys nearby and hands you your pistol. You're back in the game son and you hide behind a tree with bullets whizzing past you whilst you heal up, removing bullets from legs and injecting yourself with 'health' You take that pistol and you shoot the last bastard dead in the head. You survived it, you don't know how the fuck you survived it but you did. Things like the malaria, gun jamming and guard checkpoints I don't mind at all but of course many folk hate them.

It's very much about the emergent moment to moment gameplay you can have and all the little stories it creates unique to you. Even now, 2 years after Far Cry 2 first came out, not a single other FPS has given me the experiences that game gives me and still continues to give me even now. Even Far Cry 3 didn't really gel with me. Apart from the amazing crossbow, the animal interaction and some takedown moves I didn't really feel a part of the world and I eventually got bored. It also doesn't help that I find its tropical island really boring and not very interesting to traverse or walk around. Again that's just my own personal opinion, I know some folks prefer that setting. I would never call FC3 a bad game but it simply isn't what I fancied out of a FC2 sequel, but well that's just me.

I apologise for the rambling, just typing what comes into my head. It's also by no means a perfect game, I can list various problems it has but everything good about that overcomes it. People easily call it 'boring' or a 'load of shite' and to be honest I can see how it comes across like that. There's nothing really like it. I still have friends on my friends list who will give me shit the odd time when they see me playing it :p

However it remains up there as one of my favourite FPS of all time and I don't regret that for one second. People can mock me for it and laugh away or whatever, I really don't give a fuck. For me FC2 is a completely absorbing game and one of the most interesting shooters ever made.

Anyway I'm not trying to turn this into a FC2 discussion thread (or trying to change anyones mind) and I certainly won't go on about it (and apologies for the length of the post) but I had a bit of time and just thought I'd write some thoughts on it and give my perspective :) Carry on! *slinks back into darkness*

That's it. I'm buying FC2 when it goes on sale again.

Ragnarok Online 2 doesn't want me to play the game, it seems. It's probably for the best

Sign up on the website and then run the exe manually from the game folder and you can play.

I've done about 4 hours in ragarok 2. I have killed a lot of monsters 4 or 5 times. I've had exactly zero conversations with anybody. Everybody seems way too busy killing a lot of monsters 4 or 5 times.

My next quest is to kill a particular type of monster. I can't remember how many of them I need to kill. Probably 4, possible even 5.

I'm not sure if I am enjoying it or not yet. It seems reasonably polished (so better than hotline miami) and might be a great mmorpg. But mmorpgs might also just kind of suck fc2 style. The jury is still out and they just ordered pizza.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
<Far Cry 2 love letter>

tumblr_mm3ahuVLl01sn3hw1o7_250.gif

oneils

I've never played a Tomb Raider game, so I'm tempted to pick up that package.

But I know I won't touch for a looong time.

Also, is it just me or Guardian of Light missing from the Tomb Raider package?

Tomb Raider Package

zkylon

zkylewd
my problem with fc2 is that for me it's never been able to deliver on that promise of sandboxy unpredictability and replayability like stalker did for me.

in fc2 all encounters are mostly the same and it's up to you to make them interesting, and tbh I don't feel the tools are there.

there's a lot of awesome sandbox mechanics (fire, wounds, malaria, weapon condition, in-game maps, stealth, fixing cars and running out of fuel -i think-, etc.) just on the fringe of making the game great but they're not pushed enough to be relevant in any way, and unless you try really hard it's mostly assault rifle through every situation.

the world is either angry dudes that chase you forever, angry dudes that chase you forever if you try to enter some place, unkillable dudes that for some reason talk super fast or that one zebra.

would've loved if they didn't go ubisoft on fc3 (collectibles! side quests! leveling systems! meaningless shit everywhere!) and actually explored all that part of fc2 even more

Tomb Raider Package

Seems so, but Guardian of Light might not be an actual Tomb Raider game. It is a puzzle platformer with Lara Croft on the name and not Tomb Raider.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Tomb Raider Package

It's not just you. GotL is a spin-off and therefore not included.

Edit: Beaten.

Supposedly the cheapest it's ever been. The lowest prior was 12.50$ so I think 10$ is a safe bet here.
So it seems soon i'll join the lash room, asking for every bit of digital spanking and kneel asking for more.

Buttocks seem up for a tonal change.
Seems so, but Guardian of Light might not be an actual Tomb Raider game. It is a puzzle platformer with Lara Croft on the name and not Tomb Raider.
Well, lump it up with the other Tomb Rider game which is a shooter with Lara Croft on the name and not Tomb Raider. &#65288;&#8978;&#9661;&#8978;&#65289;

oneils

It's not just you. GotL is a spin-off and therefore not included.

Edit: Beaten.

Thanks guys.

Kind of a bummer. Because that is the one game that looks really interesting to me. I guess I'm gonna pass. Not really because of GotL but because if I'm honest with myself I won't touch these games for a long wile.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You are a great person. This explains Far Cry 2's brilliance perfectly.

Thanks man. Again I don't consider my opinion of FC2 to be any better than anyone elses. All I wanted to do is explain why I love it so much. If I wrote that in an email to one of my closest friends who hates it he'd be like "Stop talking shite Al, it's pish" :p

That's it. I'm buying FC2 when it goes on sale again.

Well you've got a 50/50 chance here. You'll either really get into and enjoy it or you'll absolutely despise it with every fibre of your being and come back here calling me some very bad words indeed :p One hint of advice, if you ever play it turn off the music.

The Dylans realism mod is pretty good for a few things too if you don't like the vanilla version. After spending so much time with the vanilla version on various machines, I very recently started playing the Steam version with the mod and some Sweet FX tweaks. Looks pretty good.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

It's not too bad at all, on the higher difficulties it can be very intense. It will also allow you to drive through checkpoints with a much lesser chance of being chased. I spend near enough all of my time ingame on foot so I just either avoided them or got into a firefight, travelled by river etc. Stealth on vanilla can be done though it's a bit tricky but the mod alters it a bit to make it more doable, especially if you have the stealth suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgXJyNklMZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpPUWmj7TRQ

It would have been such a great game to have proper mod tools/SDK for, I'd love to see what things could have been done the game world. Oh well.

Ah the lovely Saoirse, great actress too :)

Sanic

You and me both. I've been itching to play it for a week now but I'm too cheap to buy it full priced. :/

Looks like the last time it was discounted was February 11th. It was on sale all the time between November and January, and now...nothing.

Salsa

FEZ truly is just fucking mindblowing

I cannot believe the amount of work that went into this thing. Most clever puzzle game ive played in a long-ass time, and the "twists" it pulls off are amazing. Most of the people taking their time with it right now dont know the half of it. There should be a video with every player's reaction once the game truly "clicks" and shows itself for what it is.

Blizzard

Banned
FEZ truly is just fucking mindblowing

I cannot believe the amount of work that went into this thing. Most clever puzzle game ive played in a long-ass time, and the "twists" it pulls off are amazing.
It gave me a weird mental thing where I was looking at 2D surfaces (computer screen?) after playing and wanting to rotate windows as cubes in 3D or something, lol

derExperte

Never played Republic Commando, guess now is the time.

And a tip for Windows 8 users: Turn down bump mapping or it won't run correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom