• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

the creepy part is having official models + some true talent from the people willing to spend time doing these things

a lot of them just look like something that would straight up be in the game, in terms of animation quality

it's super creepy

sibarraz

Banned
I can't create threads yet so I will ask this here

How do this digital stores work?

I had always been curious how for example some websites like gog or amazon sell digital games from steam, but with their own discounts. Do they had to give money to steam? how do they get the keys?

Also the humble bundle is another big mystery for me, I don't get how developers get so much money from it since the paying is optional between the developers, charity, and a third party that I can't recall what it was

If somebody could give me an extensive explanation of it I will be grateful, since im really curious about the way that those digital stores work

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I had always been curious how for example some websites like gog or amazon sell digital games from steam, but with their own discounts. Do they had to give money to steam? how do they get the keys?

Valve asks for a 30% cut from selling anything on the Steam Store.

So let's say EA wants to sell a 100 dollar game on Steam. Every sale of that game, only 70 USD go to EA, 30 USD are given to Valve.

HOWEVER, Valve will provide UNLIMITED Steam-redeemable keys of a game IF the developer requests them.

So, for instance, EA could sell a 100 USD game on Steam and ask Valve for 50 thousand steam-redeemable keys and provide them when selling the same game on Origin (without having to pay the 30% Steam cut).

Stores like Amazon and GreenMan Gaming just have a deal with the publishers instead. So, they sell a Square Enix game and provide the keys provided to them by Square Enix themselves. Keys which Square Enix asked Valve to give to them, and since they're the publisher of the game, Valve gave them, for free.

Also the humble bundle is another big mystery for me, I don't get how developers get so much money from it since the paying is optional between the developers, charity, and a third party that I can't recall what it was

It's quite simple: What is better, 20% of 8 dollars or ZERO DOLLARS because nobody is buying your game in the first place? Now multiply that by 2 million dollars (a sum of money that the Humble Bundle can pull out of the Internet repeatdly)?

Also, don't forget that Steam keys are free.

sibarraz

Banned
Valve asks for a 30% cut from selling anything on the Steam Store.

So let's say EA wants to sell a 100 dollar game on Steam. Every sale of that game, only 70 USD go to EA, 30 USD are given to Valve.

HOWEVER, Valve will provide UNLIMITED Steam-redeemable keys of a game IF the developer requests them.

So, for instance, EA could sell a 100 USD game on Steam and ask Valve for 50 thousand steam-redeemable keys and provide them when selling the same game on Origin (without having to pay the 30% Steam cut).

Stores like Amazon and GreenMan Gaming just have a deal with the publishers instead. So, they sell a Square Enix game and provide the keys provided to them by Square Enix themselves. Keys which Square Enix asked Valve to give to them, and since they're the publisher of the game, Valve gave them, for free.

It's quite simple: What is better, 20% of 8 dollars or ZERO DOLLARS because nobody is buying your game in the first place? Now multiply that by 2 million dollars (a sum of money that the Humble Bundle can pull out of the Internet repeatdly)?

Also, don't forget that Steam keys are free.

Well, that clarifies everything, thanks for the explanation

still, the humble bundle will be a bit weird for me, what will happen if for example everyone gave their money to charity instead of that devs, wouldn't that be a big risk?

still, the humble bundle will be a bit weird for me, what will happen if for example everyone gave their money to charity instead of that devs, wouldn't that be a big risk?

Not really. It is basically comparing $0 with the income, if any, they get from the humble bundle. Even if they get $0 they haven't really lost any money and indeed a lot more people are playing their game which should pay off later.

It would be a big risk if there were a heap of people who would pay full price for your game and just haven't got around to it. But this isn't the case because a) nobody would have heard of your game until it hits the bundle or b) everybody is waiting for your game to be in a bundle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The possibility of that is practically zero, though. Sure, at the most fundamental level it's something of a gamble, but evidently reality is much the opposite, otherwise there wouldn't be so many indie bundles, each rather frequent.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Well, technically, yes. I don't believe we know the actual split of the amount collected at the end of a Humble Bundle Pack, but I'd guess that most people just click buy and pay the default split. That's what I do anyway.

JaseC

Well, technically, yes. I don't think we know the actual split that happens, but I'd guess that most people just click buy and pay the default split. That's what I do anyway.

Yeah, I'd wager most purchase bundles on auto-pilot.

JaseC

I hate it when Steam says it's discovering/converting existing data and then proceeds to download the entire bloody game anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hate it when Steam says it's discovering/converting existing data and then proceeds to download the entire bloody game anyway.

"We will now analyze which files we can keep"

*Processes for a moment*

"We have concluded that none o the files can be kept. We will now redownload the game to reduce the size of future updates, which may or may not happen"

JaseC

"We will now analyze which files we can keep"

*Processes for a moment*

"We have concluded that none o the files can be kept. We will now redownload the game to reduce the size of future updates, which may or may not happen"

"Convenience exception detected. Steam will now close."

JaseC

Hey Jase do you sleep cuz I don't

On the odd occasion. :p

Also what's the last game on Steam you actually completed

BioShock Infinite, I think, about a week-and-a-half ago. Before that... I have no idea. (Edit: Actually, probably AssCreed 3 Tomb Raider.) They both took me around a month. :p Though to be fair, I'd planned to play through BioInf with mates (didn't happen) and Tomb Raider initially had crippling performance and stability issues on nvidia hardware.

Nillansan

Pinball FX2 has been added to the Coming Soon list. Releasing May 10th.

I didn't expect it to be a Free To Play game.

EDIT: Ah I think the base game is free, but you can purchase additional tables if you so desire.

JaseC

Far Cry 3 has become practically unplayable for me, crashing either seconds after loading my save or as soon as I get within a certain range of a nearby outpost. Additionally, it seems I can't enable DX9 as the game needs to be restarted for the change to take effect but the Uplay client calls the DX11 executable specifically, which of course re-enables DX11 upon boot up, and there doesn't appear to be any way to run the game using the DX9 executable -- right-clicking the game in the Steam library offers no such option and there's no DX9 "beta" build to opt into.

HoosTrax

This is distributed by Microsoft Game Studios. Games that are released by greenlight will show a greenlight banner.
Here is the pinball game that was greenlit
Not really what I was asking.

I remembered that one of the two pinball games coming to Steam was a F2P + DLC model, wasn't sure if it was this one.

Megasoum

Banned
What happened to dark souls?

Heh... ugh.

I was really into it. Got to Anor Londo (3/4 through the zone even I think) but then Blood Dragon came out and I played all day on saturday and it kinda killed my drive for DS. I should probably force myself to go back to see if I catch the bug again but right now I dunno...

FloatOn

Nobody knows but there's no way it will be cheaper in the next few weeks. Just get it.

and done.

hitman absolution and dishonored are mine. I have no doubt in my mind which is the better game.

Heh... ugh.

I was really into it. Got to Anor Londo (3/4 through the zone even I think) but then Blood Dragon came out and I played all day on saturday and it kinda killed my drive for DS. I should probably force myself to go back to see if I catch the bug again but right now I dunno...

Press on brother! The boss of Anor Londo is when shit gets real. That feeling of getting Lord Vessel'd is the best thing.

derExperte

Not really what I was asking.

I remembered that one of the two pinball games coming to Steam was a F2P + DLC model, wasn't sure if it was this one.

FX2 works like this: Everyone can download the 'framework' and is able to play all tables as a demo. If you want one permanently there are packs (one Star Wars, three Marvel...) and a few individual tables for purchase. The W8 version also gets you the Mars table for free. Don't know if there's one like that on Steam because I just won the complete pack and now have them all (thanks Neowin), so it's hard to say. :O

And I got Pinball Arcade through PS+ so not 100% sure but I think you have to buy that one first and there are four tables included. From that point onward it's the same as FX2.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I really hope Gamersgate gets the Dishonored keys before the weekend... :( I'm checking the game in my library on the site once in a while as I don't know if they'll send an e-mail when they have it.

HoosTrax

FX2 works like this: Everyone can download the 'framework' and is able to play all tables as a demo. If you want one permanently there are packs (one Star Wars, three Marvel...) and a few individual tables for purchase. The W8 version also gets you the Mars table for free. Don't know if there's one like that on Steam because I just won the complete pack and now have them all (thanks Neowin), so it's hard to say. :O

And I got Pinball Arcade through PS+ so not 100% sure but I think you have to buy that one first and there are four tables included. From that point onward it's the same as FX2.
Cool, that's the info I was looking for!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Far Cry 3 has become practically unplayable for me, crashing either seconds after loading my save or as soon as I get within a certain range of a nearby outpost. Additionally, it seems I can't enable DX9 as the game needs to be restarted for the change to take effect but the Uplay client calls the DX11 executable specifically, which of course re-enables DX11 upon boot up, and there doesn't appear to be any way to run the game using the DX9 executable -- right-clicking the game in the Steam library offers no such option and there's no DX9 "beta" build to opt into.
Rename the dx9 Exe to whatever the dx11 exe is called.

Forkball

man them squeenix sales lol, sleeping dogs, hitman on sale somewhere always.

Yeah, if an SE game comes out, unless you REALLY GOTTA HAVE IT AT LAUNCH, it's best to wait a few months. Hitman came out in what, October or November? In January I bought it for about $15. Tomb Raider was already $20 at some places. And let's not forget the megabomb that was Kane and Lynch 2, which hit $5 after about two or three months. Even at launch you can find some good deals. I got Deus Ex for $35 on Amazon the week it launched.

LkPr

Skyrim for $14.95 ... purchased

Been waiting awhile for a good price drop on this game to buy it for PC (already have it on PS3 and Xbox lol). Looking forward to trying out some mods

Skyrim for $14.95 ... purchased

Been waiting awhile for a good price drop on this game to buy it for PC (already have it on PS3 and Xbox lol). Looking forward to trying out some mods

thought about picking it up...but the GOTY version can't be far away, right? Picked up Dishonored instead, now just waiting for the key

JaseC

Might as well grab the Season Pass.

I also tried using a crack, but my saves weren't compatible. Curious, I also tried going in the opposite direction to dick around, and after a few minutes without incident I tried to make my way to the offending outpost again, but, sure enough, the game froze as I began to get close to it. There's definitely some sort of issue with that particular area. Verifying the cache didn't pick up on any errors but I suppose I'll redownload the game overnight, just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom