• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Whats the real difference? I am waiting for the full Steam release before diving in.

If you really want to know, go through the OT. EatChildren, in particular, really goes into things. But the AI changes fundamentally alters how the game plays. And the real game is most definitely superior because of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Whats the real difference? I am waiting for the full Steam release before diving in.

HL1 aged like a fine wine and does not need a remake. The devs thought they could improve it, they did not. They even fell short of the original with their AI. They added 4x teh gfx which is a hollow attempt to cover up the fact they never should have wasted their time on it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FM 2009, 2011 and 2012 ordered. I hope 2009 has a key this time.

When is the steam summer sale?

July. In previous years it kicked off at the beginning of the month, however last year it didn't start until the 12th/13th.

HL1 aged like a fine wine and does not need a remake. The devs thought they could improve it, they did not. They even fell short of the original with their AI. They added 4x teh gfx which is a hollow attempt to cover up the fact they never should have wasted their time on it.
Easiest way to get that sweet valve paycheck.

Oh wait.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
plz jsec

jseasc plz

why would you order another copy after the first didnt have a cd key? how do you know we aren't listing these copies to fuck with you and take your money.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
plz jsec

jseasc plz

why would you order another copy after the first didnt have a cd key? how do you know we aren't listing these copies to fuck with you and take your money.

If I didn't receive a refund I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I think the missing key was simply a manufacturing error. As for your second question, well, I suppose I'll find out in about 10 working days. :p

Relax.MX

But Black Mesa was a good idea, simply lasted too long to release it

I installed a new 1TB HDD over the weekend so I moved my install of Steam and Games to the new TB from the main HDD. I also have been verifying the cache for my games to see if there are any missing files during the move. 2 nights ago I had Dead Island crash on me twice during play and then the other night Spec Ops would not load and kept crashing. After about 20 minutes of fiddling, I got it to work. Could the move from one HDD caused some issues in the process?

Deques

Stupid Bioshock. I can't get it to run at 1920x1080. It ran fine yesterday :/
Unchecking the compability mode mutes the game >.<

Stupid Bioshock. I can't get it to run at 1920x1080. It ran fine yesterday :/
Unchecking the compability mode mutes the game >.<

Have 'fun' with the sorry excuse for controls after you get it to work :\

Also trackmania stadium is out but noone seems to care? Couldn't find an OT or anything.

Blizzard

Banned
I believe it was generally received well. AI differences or weapon balance may affect some things, and some differences may come down to personal preference as to which version you enjoy more. However, I think it's fair to say that Black Mesa was a well-done, impressive, good quality fan remake, and that the authors took pains to try to respect the original game. It may not be perfect, but I would suggest even HL1 wasn't perfect.

I don't think it's fair to the Black Mesa authors or their work to simply dismiss it with mockery.

Deques

BioShock doesn't work natively under Win7 (or 8 if that's your thing)?

Have 'fun' with the sorry excuse for controls after you get it to work :\

Also trackmania stadium is out but noone seems to care? Couldn't find an OT or anything.

The sound is mute if I don't "hack" the config files and set to compability mode. Anyway, found another workaround to make the sound work without the compability mode

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh, I forgot about the Free Magicka DLC if you signed up for their Newsletter.

Grumm's Temple key just arrived on my email for Steam registration. Neat!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SSHOCK2/system-shock-2

System Shock 2 is on Gamersgate now (no-DRM), which means their exclusive deal with GOG is over, so probably coming to Steam soon I hope.

Omg I wonder if Gamersgate is using all of GOG's high level tech fixes for the game.

I don't think it's fair to the Black Mesa authors or their work to simply dismiss it with mockery.

Awww they worked hard so they are immune to criticism.

Dr Dogg

Halflife? Dated? Visually sure but for a title that is going to be 15 years old this year it still has some pretty impressive opponent AI. First time fighting the Grunts when they actually flushed you out with grenades and flanked you if you sat still brings back memories. F.E.A.R. is in the same boat though that was some very clever level design and scripting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Psychonauts has some nice sections but I think it would have been a lot better if it was more of a platformer

Also having the player grind to unlock items to progress was a bizarre decision

e: the Milkman level is as great as people say though
I think I'm one of the 1 people in the whole world that collected all 800 arrowheads for the Cobweb Duster by hand, without knowing about the Dowsing Rod. Yeah, those 3 or 4 hours going back and forth through the camp picking up those arrowheads one by one were a little repetitive. But the game was so good that I did it anyway.

Grief.exe

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SSHOCK2/system-shock-2

System Shock 2 is on Gamersgate now (no-DRM), which means their exclusive deal with GOG is over, so probably coming to Steam soon I hope.

Steam Achievements

iTs2jKw2iV7KM.gif

Seeing © 1999 Star Insurance Company still makes me feel a little bit sad. :(

That is funny.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I recently finished Spec Ops: The Line and liked it. I even had fun playing it.

Anyway, I saw the following assessment of the ending in the Spec Ops Steam community forum and found it really amusing. I've spoilered it as it gives way too much of the story away, of course.

Steam community member on Spec Ops ENDING - SPOILER ALERT said:
Once again schizophrenia as story... BORING!!!
Schizophrenia is really again a very new story... 1000time seen in films, in games, in everywhere. WTF? Why again!?!
5 ends and all with theme "schizophrenia" ...wow! Impressed! lol

S.h.i.t game! Only a boring shitgame for children - not for adults!
20 hours for my a.nus/a.ss!

Dr Dogg

I don't know why anyone wouldn't just buy System Shock 2 on GOG. You get a load of extras like artwork and the soundtrack and their installer is a doddle to use. Unless you want to build up your numbers I'm all a bit puzzled.

Steam Achievements

Ah ok. Carry on.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You're getting way too butthurt about this shit. It's not your game being criticized and the Black Mesaa developers sure wouldn't give a fuck about it if it was.

1-D_FTW

I believe it was generall received well. AI differences or weapon balance may affect some things, and some differences may come down to personal preference as to which version you enjoy more. However, I think it's fair to say that Black Mesa was a well-done, impressive, good quality fan remake, and that the authors took pains to try to respect the original game. It may not be perfect, but I would suggest even HL1 wasn't perfect.

From a technical level, it is incredibly impressive what a small group of modders did.

BUT... they did fundamentally change the way the game played (maybe it's subtle enough for many to prefer the fancy graphics). Fundamentally shifting how something plays is a big deal in my book. Especially for one of the most iconic games of all-time. Which is why I'll stick to this advice: If you want to know what HL was about, play the original game. It's still the superior version anyways.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Halflife? Dated? Visually sure but for a title that is going to be 15 years old this year it still has some pretty impressive opponent AI. First time fighting the Grunts when they actually flushed you out with grenades and flanked you if you sat still brings back memories. F.E.A.R. is in the same boat though that was some very clever level design and scripting.
Oh, the AI in F.E.A.R. is the smartest I've ever seen. Of course some of it is smoke and mirrors, but it feels good, and works perfectly. The combination of AI and level design is perfect.

Blizzard

Banned
Awww they worked hard so they are immune to criticism.

You're getting way too butthurt about this shit. It's not your game being criticized and the Black Mesaa developers sure wouldn't give a fuck about it if it was.
I'm not sure what you said before you edited, but neither of you quoted the entirety of what I said. I politely suggested that there are good and bad aspects, and it's not fair to simply dismiss it with mockery. I didn't say it's immune to criticism. I just suggest that pure mockery rather than talking about actual positive or negative aspects is both disrespectful and contributes negatively to any sort of conversation about HL1 or Black Mesa.

For example, EatChildren was referenced as providing a breakdown of differences between the games. In addition, one might argue that texture choices were poor and changed the flavor of a certain level (the sort of criticism leveled at say, HL2 graphical mods). Or, one might suggest as 1-D_FTW did that the gameplay itself changes due to the AI or weapons or what-have-you. All of that may be valid, and is helpful to someone who might be interested in one or both games.

Why the hostility?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Didn't the game have lots of problems running on modern systems? I would think the optimisation or emulation took some time.

Yeah, it took years of work... from the community.

I'm not sure what you said before you edited, but neither of you quoted the entirety of what I said. I politely suggested that there are good and bad aspects, and it's not fair to simply dismiss it with mockery. I didn't say it's immune to criticism. I just suggest that pure mockery rather than talking about actual positive or negative aspects is both disrespectful and contributes negatively to any sort of conversation about HL1 or Black Mesa.

For example, EatChildren was referenced as providing a breakdown of differences between the games. In addition, one might argue that texture choices were poor and changed the flavor of a certain level (the sort of criticism leveled at say, HL2 graphical mods). Or, one might suggest as 1-D_FTW did that the gameplay itself changes due to the AI or weapons or what-have-you. All of that may be valid, and is helpful to someone who might be interested in one or both games.

Why the hostility?

If you bothered to follow the development of the mod, you might understand why it is so mocked. Hostility begets hostility. They get what they deserve.

Blizzard

Banned
My post is referencing the insensitive things one of the Black Mesa devs said following the Japanese earthquake.
I assume you are referencing http://i.imgur.com/sG2YZ.jpg? I didn't realize your post was a joke then, sorry. That was a stupid remark for the developer to make, for sure.

If you bothered to follow the development of the mod, you might understand why it is so mocked. Hostility begets hostility. They get what they deserve.
What are you referring to, if not to the Japanese earthquake comment? That was just one one of the developers, as far as I'm aware.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I recently finished Spec Ops: The Line and liked it. I even had fun playing it.

Anyway, I saw the following assessment of the ending in the Spec Ops Steam community forum and found it really amusing. I've spoilered it as it gives way too much of the story away, of course.
I sometimes think the Steam forums are the toxic waste from the worst Youtube comments. But that's not fair... to Youtube comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom