• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Looks like they have been looking at Durante's Mod.

It seems they have an option to just display the reduced version where the UI only shows the on use item and your health.

lmpaler

Dark Souls is on my wishlist for Steam, waiting on a sale, but should I get a controller or is the mouse and keyboard sufficient?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dark Souls is on my wishlist for Steam, waiting on a sale, but should I get a controller or is the mouse and keyboard sufficient?

There's a mod that improves the keyboard + mouse controls, but it is still probably better played with a controller.

EMT0

Banned
So, Steam deleted my non-Steam games for the umpteenth time. I am annoyed.

Why the hell don't people complain about this more? I know there are people that buy games only if they're on Steam, but really. There are undoubtedly many people that play games that aren't Steam games who like using the overlay and it's a broken ass feature that only serves to grate on my nerves at this point.

Sober

You'll do okay, but a controller is great for movement. Watching my brother play it on kb/m and moving around feels really clunky, especially if you're trying to make finer movements without an analog stick.

Grief.exe

What Morningbus said was accurate.

The problem with Dark Souls is that your turn velocity is a constant, so moving the mouse faster or slower really won't change anything.

There is a mod that cleans it up, but it is still clunky.

A controller is recommended.

There's a mod that improves the keyboard + mouse controls, but it is still probably better played with a controller.

Why the hell don't people complain about this more? I know there are people that buy games only if they're on Steam, but really. There are undoubtedly many people that play games that aren't Steam games who like using the overlay and it's a broken ass feature that only serves to grate on my nerves at this point.

Add them, then quit out of Steam manually.

I've never had Steam delete them after this.

Nabs

You need to shut down Steam properly, or back up the sharedconfig.vdf and shortcuts.vdf files.

Dr Dogg

Used to do it to me all the time when switching between Mac and PC. I don't get my knickers in a twist about it anymore because I've long since given up on using it. Just got a folder on my desktop with all my shortcuts (GOG titles and so on) in it and until Windows undecideds to mess with it that's how I'll keep it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I haven't lost mine in years now.

lmpaler

You'll do okay, but a controller is great for movement. Watching my brother play it on kb/m and moving around feels really clunky, especially if you're trying to make finer movements without an analog stick.

What Morningbus said was accurate.

The problem with Dark Souls is that your turn velocity is a constant, so moving the mouse faster or slower really won't change anything.

There is a mod that cleans it up, but it is still clunky.

A controller is recommended.

Many thanks Gentlemen

Salsa

ibmVzxABF2viOv.PNG

xelios you're slipping. Jase has the upper hand

Momentary

Banned
Don't see GFWL stickered anywhere at the end of that Dark Souls II trailer. Just the good ol' PC logo.

By the way, is anyone getting a 1.1gb DmC patch right now?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Playing third person games with a mouse and keyboard is for crazy people.

Just like playing First Person games with a controller.

You're all crazy!

nexen

You're all crazy!

I'm having trouble playing anything except the most hardcore online shooters with mouse and keyboard anymore.

I don't know why, but the controller has taken over most of my fps/tps gaming lately.

Echoplx

You're all crazy!

Aiming in a third person shooter is just as inacurate as aiming in a first person shooter with a controller, 'movement' might feel better but I can never get past not being able to aim properly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Aiming in a third person shooter is just as inacurate as aiming in a first person shooter with a controller, 'movement' might feel better but I can never get past not being able to aim properly.

Third person shooters made for consoles don't get "fixed" for PC releases though. That's why you have crazy shit like "Mouse Acceleration" and, sometimes, complete lack of proper support for KB+M, like in Dark Souls.

FPS Games usually only have a some sort of autoaim help on Controllers, which can usually be turned off on the PC Version, while I feel that Third Person Shooters have actual gameplay mechanics that are made with a gamepad in mind.

For instance, I don't think it's as trivial to do the Batman "Flight" in Arkham City or to quickly change weapons (for the Fight Combos) with a KB+M configuration, while walking forward and shooting dudes in the head is much more frustrating with a Gamepad for me.

Of course, this is all personal opinion.

Grief.exe

It really comes down to what games you need precise analog movement in.

Games like Dark Souls, Mark of the Ninja, Psychonauts, or driving games a controller would be more accurate because of the analog input on the sticks and triggers.

There are some third person games that don't benefit at all from analog movement. Max Payne comes to mind, but really anything where there is really only one speed.
Moving, or not moving is digital movement. A shift modifier can be placed in for a sprint, think Battlefield or Call of Duty.

Got a pretty solid game of Don't Starve going, about to hit winter.

I have unlimited meat right next to my base from ponds. I can fish or catch frogs all day. I also have a few beefalo herds pretty close by.

I got a 40 bush vineyard going for the middle of winter when I am really desperate for food.

iEjXHJcXqqpOj.png

Which is why a lot of third person shooters have brain dead auto aim... Which is when a controller is way better for them.

I'll never play a fps on consoles though. If that makes me old because I need a mouse then so be it.

Anyone know if the Russian version of RE:Revelation works for non Russian accounts? Is it a ROW? The game is $20 there and if it's the same version I was going to ask a buddy to gift it to me.

Caerith

Third person shooters made for consoles don't get "fixed" for PC releases though. That's why you have crazy shit like "Mouse Acceleration" and, sometimes, complete lack of proper support for KB+M, like in Dark Souls.

FPS Games usually only have a some sort of autoaim help on Controllers, which can usually be turned off on the PC Version, while I feel that Third Person Shooters have actual gameplay mechanics that are made with a gamepad in mind.

For instance, I don't think it's as trivial to do the Batman "Flight" in Arkham City or to quickly change weapons (for the Fight Combos) with a KB+M configuration, while walking forward and shooting dudes in the head is much more frustrating with a Gamepad for me.

Of course, this is all personal opinion.
So, slight tangent, but anyone know how to turn off, for lack of a better term, "gamepad acceleration" in Darksiders/II? It's annoying as hell in the shooting sequences when you're pressing up on the stick and it crawls for a second then shoots halfway across the screen, with no fine control in the middle.

Grief.exe

I'm having a great play through on Don't Starve.

I have easy access to Ponds (Unlimited Frogs/Fish), Beefalo Herds, and I made a 40 bush vineyard.

I also found two resurrection stones in case I die.

And I've learned from my last play through. I got a heat stone and plenty of food stores to make it through the winter.

My last winter was so crazy, I was low on health going into it and I didn't have a hear stone so I was constantly losing health due to freezing.
You learn something new every play through.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm having a great play through on Don't Starve.

I have easy access to Ponds (Unlimited Frogs/Fish), Beefalo Herds, and I made a 40 bush vineyard.

I also found two resurrection stones in case I die.

And I've learned from my last play through. I got a heat stone and plenty of food stores to make it through the winter.

My last winter was so crazy, I was low on health going into it and I didn't have a hear stone so I was constantly losing health due to freezing.
You learn something new every play through.

How do you store food for your Winter? I usually need two full meals on every winter day, and it's hard to keep that much meat around without it all going away.

I can usually get by with a Monster Meat + vegetables thing (which is an actual mean that doesn't fuck you up), but only when I'm near spiders and I have a shitload of berries.

I know the "ice box" helps, but sometimes I just can't find gears.

I think I might go for a session now.

Salsa

Don't Starve just became "restart the game until you find beefalos to build a camp"

I think they kinda need to fix that. If you dont find Beefalos with shit you're just gonna have a terrible time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom