• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

How do you store food for your Winter? I usually need two full meals on every winter day, and it's hard to keep that much meat around without it all going away.

I can usually get by with a Monster Meat + vegetables thing (which is an actual mean that doesn't fuck you up), but only when I'm near spiders and I have a shitload of berries.

I know the "ice box" helps, but sometimes I just can't find gears.

I think I might go for a session now.

The key to my last two play throughs have really been the Ponds that were near my base.

They have unlimited amounts of fish and frogs everyday.

I learned two things in my last play through, eating frogs reduces your sanity massively (I died BC I went insane on my last play through), and you need a heat stone to do anything in winter.

As for storing food, two word Drying Racks.

It keeps your meat edible for a long time and it actually restores your sanity. So those frog legs go from slowly driving me insane to actually restoring my sanity.

I got six Drying Racks right now, I'm going to expand to ten when I get back on.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
As for storing food, two word Drying Racks.

That's.... actually a good idea. I didn't think of that.

I'll invest in them next playthrough. I don't like that it's hard to lay everything down on your base. At that rate, the base will be bigger than what I can see on screen.

Gvaz

Banned
Playing third person games with a mouse and keyboard is for crazy people.

Just like playing First Person games with a controller.

You're all crazy!

I play every game except racing with a KBM because it controls better 99% of the time.

gdt

Just started Lone Survivor.....took a bit to get used to the controls (worst pc controls ever) but I'm ok now. Digging it a lot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just started Lone Survivor.....took a bit to get used to the controls (worst pc controls ever) but I'm ok now. Digging it a lot.
it's for the most part pretty great except for a certain section. the soundtrack is unbelievable too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm trying to hold off on Don't Starve until the official release rolls out to keep things fresh. Had some good times with the beta, though. My last run was my longest yet - but then I somehow forgot to pause when I walked away from the PC for ten minutes and came back to the "you died dummy" screen. :(

Grief.exe

I'm trying to hold off on Don't Starve until the official release rolls out to keep things fresh. Had some good times with the beta, though. My last run was my longest yet - but then I somehow forgot to pause when I walked away from the PC for ten minutes and came back to the "you died dummy" screen. :(

That's in less than two weeks.

The patch notes from the other day said that this weeks patch was smaller in order to get ready for a massive amount of additions on release day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Gee, those steam discussion forums are pretty bad. Reading them just makes me like Neogaf and Miiverse more.
You're a masochist. Or you are looking for a reason to hate humanity, I can't tell.

With the Steam forums, you're gonna suffer and become a misanthrope all at the same time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I got a pretty decent PC, but for whatever reason, I get horrible framerate no matter the settings.
That's weird, the game is very well optimised, and at min settings should run completely fine on any PC from the last 8 years. I know because I had no problems playing it on an Athlon XP 1800+ with a GeForce 6200 and 1GB SDRAM.

Nabs

I'm shocked they haven't tried harder to get Minerva's Den on Steam. I'm glad I had free points, or else I would have missed out big time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't Starve just became "restart the game until you find beefalos to build a camp"

I think they kinda need to fix that. If you dont find Beefalos with shit you're just gonna have a terrible time

gonnahaveabadtimegquu1.jpg

I'm shocked they haven't tried harder to get Minerva's Den on Steam. I'm glad I had free points, or else I would have missed out big time.

A multinational publisher not bothering to do something? You shouldn't be shocked. ;)

That's weird, the game is very well optimised, and at min settings should run completely fine on any PC from the last 8 years. I know because I had no problems playing it on an Athlon XP 1800+ with a GeForce 6200 and 1GB SDRAM.

It could either be my processor (Phenom II X6) or my video card (ATI 6750) that's causing it. I swear someone else in an older thread mentioned it running like crap for them too.

Edit: Ran the game under compatibility mode set at WinXP SP3, and it works great now. :/

Grief.exe

This game has so many secrets.

Check out the hat I just found.

Don't want to spoil how I got it or what it does, but its pretty cool.

B2CeXbQ.jpg

JaseC

Is it possible to "beat" Don't Starve or is it one of those games that randomly generates scenarios and thus goes on forever?

Edit: Evoland has the same frustrating issue as Driver: SF in that if the controller is turned off mid-game, you have to exit the game entirely and restart for the game to pick it up again.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm managing to get by with one pond and two spider nests around me.

I cna kill the spiders for monster meat (I had 3 nests, but I killed one and will probably kill the other and only have one pond and one nest), I can fish/kill the frogs for regular meat, and I can make a trip to one of two pig camps that have a SHITLOAD of berries. That way, I don't need to fertilize them and I have enough for some meatballs.

I didn't get to winter yet, but I didn't die either!

But now I have to sleep.

Salsa

Is it possible to "beat" Don't Starve or is it one of those games that randomly generates scenarios and thus goes on forever?

eventually you'll need to collect 5 pieces of a machine that takes you through the next world

the next world is essentially the game starting over, but getting there is hard enough as to consider it a challenge to conquer

drizzle

Axel Hertz
eventually you'll need to collect 5 pieces of a machine that takes you through the next world

the next world is essentially the game starting over, but getting there is hard enough as to consider it a challenge to conquer

Funny story: I did it once. Every piece respawned in close proximity, so I did it all at once. Didn't even build a goddamn base.

I found a maxwell portal all built before this playthrough, but I forgot what it does. I also died before I could do anything with it.

Also, I don't know how you people can survive without a goddamn logsuit.

Blizzard

Banned

I thought I saw that an adventure mode recently got added to the beta. I've owned it for a while (someone gifted it to me) but I've never tried it. Does adventure mode work the same way?

JaseC

Wow, clicking through the Update News window is much faster than it used to be.

Maybe it's one of those games you think has no end but in fact does and it'll be several years until somebody outside of the development team discovers this.

Grief.exe

I thought I saw that an adventure mode recently got added to the beta. I've owned it for a while (someone gifted it to me) but I've never tried it. Does adventure mode work the same way?

I believe adventure mode gives you certain objectives and some story.

I've personally just played sandbox mode.

I officially got through my first winter guys. I didn't even have to harvest my vineyard, just lived off the meat I had dried and whatever I could forage.

Don't Starve is about to push Sleeping Dogs out of my top 20 Steam games played.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I believe adventure mode gives you certain objectives and some story.

I've personally just played sandbox mode.

I officially got through my first winter guys. I didn't even have to harvest my vineyard, just lived off the meat I had dried and whatever I could forage.

Don't Starve is about to push Sleeping Dogs out of my top 20 Steam games played.

Isn't it like 20 days?

how much meat did you have? would you just eat the meat or would you prepare meals?

Grief.exe

Change the thread title to Don't Starve OT

Isn't it like 20 days?

how much meat did you have? would you just eat the meat or would you prepare meals?

I'm on day 36 right now, so the back part of winter. The ponds have thawed and its warmer.

Basically day 18-20 the only thing i did was catch frogs and fish to turn into dried meat. I think I had about 30 going into winter.

I foraged during winter, found carets, berries, and some beefalo to get my self through.

Spookie

Well thanks for talking about Don't Starve guys. I finally managed to get off my arse and fix the red graphical flickering issue I was having. I can now finally play the game properly. :p

Dr Dogg

Sounds a but FTLish. Might have to take the plunge after the various impressions here.

MNC

YES! PRAISE THE FUCKING SUN! I beat the Gargoyles! And got the shitty tail weapon as well.

...Am I wrong in constantly using the Halberd? The DMG stat on that thing is so much better than my other weapons.

Also, what factor makes me overencumbered/roll slower? I'm still below my equipment load margin but as soon as I equip certain armor, I go into the slightly slower roll mode.

YES! PRAISE THE FUCKING SUN! I beat the Gargoyles! And got the shitty tail weapon as well.

...Am I wrong in constantly using the Halberd? The DMG stat on that thing is so much better than my other weapons.

Also, what factor makes me overencumbered/roll slower? I'm still below my equipment load margin but as soon as I equip certain armor, I go into the slightly slower roll mode.

Can use whatever weapon you like, just experiment. Check your equipment load in stats for rolling. There are animation differences at 25 and 50% (you can increase your max through endurance)

zkylon

zkylewd

if you're below 50% of your carry weight you get medium rolls, if you're bellow 25% you get light rolls. everything above 50% gets you heavy rolls.

in my experience you really want light rolls because it gives you like the most invulnerability frames and it just feels better, but you can play as a tank if you want to and that's fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom