• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

First 3 to quote with steam name gets choice of Capsized, or Hotline Miami

Since sibarraz isn't taking it, can I have Hotline Miami? "xanxanlol"

Also whoever wants a code for that 3rd Penny-Arcade Rainslick game can just quote me and I'll PM the code. I just want to delete this text file from my desktop.

sibarraz

Banned
Thanks for the offer but I think someone else can have it. I'm trying to stop adding games to my library I'll probably never play.

Well, since I feel kinda bad for this, I bought another bundle so I could give you hotline miami

Also had the other games to gift, so quote me so I could send the respective keys of the game that you want

Thomas Was Alone
AwesomeNauts
Intrusion 2
Proteus
Little Inferno
Dear Esther
Capsized
Tiny and Big in Granpda's Leftovers
English Country Tune
Oil Rush

Xanathus

Well, since I feel kinda bad for this, I bought another bundle so I could give you hotline miami

Also had the other games to gift, so quote me so I could send the respective keys of the game that you want

Oh wow thanks, Hotline Miami was all that I wanted from that bundle so I couldn't justify getting it on it's own. I recommend giving away the rest of them in that Steam Take One Give One thread. You're a motherfather gentleman.

oipic

Well time to get some Faerie Soltaire cards and hopefully a foil. :)

Alas, no karmic reward for my 80+ hours (!) of Faerie Solitaire play time - no foils. It just wasn't to be. Great little game, though - I'm glad to see some folks actually gave it a go, if only briefly (and for obvious reasons).

Can I be so bold as to please ask for Proteus, if it's still available?

sibarraz

Banned
Oh wow thanks, Hotline Miami was all that I wanted from that bundle so I couldn't justify getting it on it's own. I recommend giving away the rest of them in that Steam Take One Give One thread. You're a motherfather gentleman.

Don't know, wasn't that thread derailed for guys getting expensive games for the price of cheap bundles? don't think that's fair

zychi

Banned
How do I do this "leveling" stuff on Steam? I can see other user's levels, I'm in the Steam beta. But I have no idea what I'm doing

kurahador

Can I have Tiny & Big? Already have all the others.

EDIT
nvm...it was added in humble bundle apparently.

How do I do this "leveling" stuff on Steam? I can see other user's levels, I'm in the Steam beta. But I have no idea what I'm doing

You have to complete a set of cards and craft a badge.
How to get all cards you ask? Either by trading/sell other cards/items or spend money on the market.

Thomas Was Alone
AwesomeNauts
Intrusion 2
Proteus
Little Inferno
Dear Esther
Capsized
English Country Tune
Oil Rush
Can I get Thomas Was Alone?

sibarraz

Banned
Can I have Tiny & Big? Already have all the others.

EDIT
nvm...it was added in humble bundle apparently.

You have to complete a set of cards and craft a badge.
How to get all cards you ask? Either by trading/sell other cards/items or spend money on the market.

Did you used the key? so I could give it to other gaffer

Caerith

Does Really Big Sky have an ending, or different stages, or any kind of progression other than leveling up your ship? Is it just one endless randomized shooter?

Salsa

I got every achievement in Runner 2

give me a fucking gold star or something

this card business is the worst

what's more; it's ruining the "importance" some people gave to the gameplay trime tracking since everyone's just idling like crazy people

yeah I still dont hate this any less

XDDX

Thomas Was Alone
AwesomeNauts
Intrusion 2
Proteus
Little Inferno
Dear Esther
Capsized
English Country Tune
Oil Rush
Could I please get Proteus?

Edit: Thanks sibarraz!

Salsa

Thomas Was Alone
AwesomeNauts
Intrusion 2
Proteus
Little Inferno
Dear Esther
Capsized
English Country Tune
Oil Rush

i'd take english country tune if you still have it

Elixist

Thomas Was Alone
AwesomeNauts
Intrusion 2
Proteus
Little Inferno
Dear Esther
Capsized
English Country Tune
Oil Rush

i'd be down for AwesomeN. or Little Inferno if still available steam: lawstkoz

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

what's more; it's ruining the "importance" some people gave to the gameplay trime tracking since everyone's just idling like crazy people

Keeping fighting the good fight.

gabbo

Thomas Was Alone
AwesomeNauts
Intrusion 2
Proteus
Little Inferno
Dear Esther
Capsized
English Country Tune
Oil Rush

Do you still happen to have the Oil Rush key by chance?

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I apparently had to reset my cable modem to get a connection when I powered everything on today, but before I did that I had already tried to connect to Steam. As a result, Steam got me back for not usually having problems with offline mode:

steam26puwd.png

I tried unplugging the Ethernet cable and got the same thing. As far as I know I -always- shut down Steam properly. So now, it's experiment time. I haven't restarted Steam since getting internet back, and I seem to recall there are instructions somewhere about a workaround, so I'm going to try to check if it's possible to get offline mode if you get stuck in this situation.

So since I'm an engineer, I obsessively did more experiments.

• Tried disabling adapter in Network Connections, same problem
  • Tried overwriting winui.gcf with an old version from a backup hard drive, same problem
  • Tried copying a winui.gcf from a different backup directory, same problem
  • HOWEVER, note that in the second directory mentioned above, I have an old version of Steam.exe, which DOES bring up the window with the button to start in offline mode. But, clicking the button to start in offline mode just brings up another error window saying that the it cannot connect to the Steam network.
  • Tried running Steam.exe from a backup Steam folder on an external hard disk...SUCCESS! Got the window with the offline mode button, and it worked, got to the games list, launched Team Fortress 2 and Mirror's Edge to make sure it worked, which it did.
  • Tried copying winui.gcf from the working offline steamapps folder to the broken one...same problem.
  • Tried copying AppUpdateStats.blob and ClientRegistry.blob from the working offline folder...same problem.
  • Replaced Steam\userdata directory with one from working offline directory...same problem
  • Replaced Steam\steam with one from working offline directory...same problem
  • Tried running Steam.exe as administrator...same problem
  • Replaced Steam\appcache with one from working offline directory...same problem
  • Replaced top-level files in Steam\config with ones from working directory...same problem
  • Deleted steamapps\appmanifest_440.acf (was modified recently)
  • Copied everything top-level from the working Steam offline directory, as well as the entire bin folder. Once I did this, Steam gave me the offline button, and it brought up a game list, but it seemed weird, showed a red message from Steam support alert at the top, and only showed two games installed.
  • At this point I tried deleting ClientRegistry.blob and AppUpdateStats.blob and launched Steam.exe again...and got back to my original problem, the popup I posted earlier.
  • Copied old ClientRegistry.blob and AppUpdateStats.blob back again, got to glitchy games list again.
  • Tried ONLY deleting ClientRegistry.blob and restarting Steam.exe...same problem. Had to get old blob again.
  • At this point, just out of curiosity, I tried my old external hard drive Steam.exe running off of the external. It STILL worked and brought up the good games list, not a glitchy one.
  • Copied the modern-day Steam.exe back, tried deleting the bin directory and everything but Steam.exe,
    and ran Steam.exe. It recreated things, but brought up the original popup error I had earlier today.
  • After this I gave up and reenabled the network connection, restoring my various modern-day backups to the Steam folder, noting in the process that Steam had forgotten the password, so I had to do the Steam guard support email thing to get back in.

Conclusion of all of the above:
  • An old Steam install directory from 2010 on an external hard drive still works in offline mode, which is nice.
  • Unfortunately, enough has apparently changed since then that I do not know ANY way to recover Steam if you get in this situation now. However, I will try backing up winui.gcf, ClientRegistry.blob, and AppUpdateStats.blog from the Steam directory with working modern-day offline mode running in case this happens to me again so I can experiment further.

VALLLLLLLLVE

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

People like that have lots of choices:

• Actually play the game instead of idle it
  • Buy cards on the market to avoid running the game
  • Don't worry about the few paltry card drops they have, unless they value the accuracy of the time tracking feature at a whopping $3
  • Ask themselves why ten thousand hours of TF2 on everyone's profiles didn't have the same effect
  • Get a therapist

Smash88

Banned
Is anyone getting shit frames in Company of Heroes 2?

I did the performance test, and I'm getting low: 28 - high 72 - average 43.

Is it just me, or is this game unoptimized as fuck? Or are the Nvidia drivers shit?

Everything set to max @ 1440p - with AA on - Vsync off.

Elixist

@blizzard big ass post

dam dude, thats quite interesting. i was starting to worry when people were saying you could only be offline for 2 weeks and then others were saying the Steam shutdown problems like you mentioned. Ive never had a problem playing the few times offline, but i always assumed you could play your sp offline indefinetely if you needed to.

Blizzard

Banned

Is it just me, or is this game unoptimized as fuck? Or are the Nvidia drivers shit?

What CPU, video card, and RAM do you have?

HoosTrax

• Don't worry about the few paltry card drops they have, unless they value the accuracy of the time tracking feature at a whopping $3
  • Ask themselves why ten thousand hours of TF2 on everyone's profiles didn't have the same effect
  • Get a therapist
  • get a new Steam account with "untainted" playtime, throw a tantrum about on it GAF, get banned

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I could probably make close to $13.50 by selling the 3 Runner 2 cards I just got, but that's a badge I'd like to craft.

If someone has any which doesn't want, I wouldn't mind trading for them (not that I have many, but maybe something could be arranged).

Smash88

Banned
Alright I've been scouring google.

Company of Heroes 2 is apparently garbage.

GTX 780 is having even less frames than me on a 1080p setup.

The game is just utter garbage, or the drivers are optimized for it. Either way CoH2 looks, graphically, shitty, yet requires so much performance.

What a joke.

Grief.exe

Nvidia drivers probably aren't up to snuff yet.

If you read their patch notes it doesn't even seem like they are focusing on the game.

Alright I've been scouring google.

Company of Heroes 2 is apparently garbage.

GTX 780 is having even less frames than me on a 1080p setup.

The game is just utter garbage, or the drivers are optimized for it. Either way CoH2 looks, graphically, shitty, yet requires so much performance.

What a joke.

Whoa. Settle down, game isn't even released yet.

Do you know what Beta means? Bugs, glitches, and unoptimized games are par for the course.

Blizzard

Banned
i7 4770k, GTX Titan, 16GB DDR3 2133mhz.

Is the game CPU dependent? If so, I'll be OCing my CPU tomorrow. Just built my computer.
I don't own the game but I can't imagine you being limited with that system, so I'll have to defer to other people with CoH 2 and nVidia cards. :/

*edit* I was wanting to get an nVidia card so I could finally use the wonders of PhysX and SGSSAA and so forth, but that's kind of disheartening news. :p Normally I thought nVidia works pretty closely with game devs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Did you get all the retro carts? I'm lacking 6 of them.

And of course, I'm just starting my Hard playthrough, and haven't done it on Easy either.

Cynar

@blizzard big ass post

dam dude, thats quite interesting. i was starting to worry when people were saying you could only be offline for 2 weeks and then others were saying the Steam shutdown problems like you mentioned. Ive never had a problem playing the few times offline, but i always assumed you could play your sp offline indefinetely if you needed to.
Just console warrior's trying to scare people, do not believe their lies :)

Blizzard

Banned
Just console warrior's trying to scare people, do not believe their lies :)
I had never had a problem with offline mode either, which was partly why I was so motivated to experiment first-hand so I'd be able to better address the issue in the future.

Don't worry about buying cards--as new games get cards added, the odds that it'll be a game that you own will get higher, and you'll be able to play that. Then use a trading bot to swap your cards in those games for the set you want to finish.

Good call, I guess I could actually do that new between TF2 and Half Life 2. I was just hoping to maximize my (admittedly very small) change to get a foil.

Grief.exe

Don't worry about buying cards--as new games get cards added, the odds that it'll be a game that you own will get higher, and you'll be able to play that. Then use a trading bot to swap your cards in those games for the set you want to finish.

Know of a trading bot? I'd like to complete my Don't Starve badge.

Smash88

Banned
I don't own the game but I can't imagine you being limited with that system, so I'll have to defer to other people with CoH 2 and nVidia cards. :/

*edit* I was wanting to get an nVidia card so I could finally use the wonders of PhysX and SGSSAA and so forth, but that's kind of disheartening news. :p Normally I thought nVidia works pretty closely with game devs.

It could be a driver issue, and I will have to wait until CoH2 launch to see what the true potential is.

Because if I can get 70+ fps maxed out on a 64 man server with maxed AA and everything on Battlefield 3, and I can't even average that in this game, which is ugly to boot, something is wrong.

Not to mention I can't find a game. So in Company of Heroes fashion, their matchmaking is still broken. I couldn't even play multiplayer in CoH1 because of intense lag or not being able to connect, even with open ports.

Salsa

Keeping fighting the good fight.

• Get a therapist

I just dont like it and think its dumb.

I thought this before when Valve were doing stuff like letting you sell beta invites and getting a cut. That was pretty much when it got iffy or when it set a limit for me on what I personally wanted out of their whole market experiment

this is pretty much the limit for me as far as their concept of "gamification on everything" goes

it's funny cause in essence I like these ideas a lot, and didnt think there would be situations where I didnt like them anymore, but yeah

of course I can just ignore them and just use what I want out of them (ocassionally getting some and selling them because money), and i'll continue to do that, but I generally like using Steam's features and be a part of that whole thing when done right.

as a sidenote I really dont like the new profiles either. I don't like how having the last games you've played on top of comments/etc is supposedly an improvement over constantly having them on the bar on the right, occupying less space, stuff like that. It's super big, super ugly.. old one was way better.

it's all minor but im just ocassionally commenting on it cause it's like the first move Steam has made that I dont like, really.

Exeunt

Just realized I got some unclaimed humble bundle key.
-Cave Story+:

Redeemed Cave Story+! Thanks!

I know it's not the take one/leave one thread, but there may be a key for Double Fine Prototypes hidden in this post. Just sayin'. You don't even have to offer Dear Esther if you take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom