• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

theytookourjobz

Add me on steam if anyone wants any of the following shit, gratis. Dota2 invite, Torchlight, 50% off Costume Quest, 50% off Sanctum, 50% off Waking Mars, 66% Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity, 50% off No Time to Explain, 50% off Duke Nukem 3d.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Quote if you'd like one of the following:

- Dear Esther
- Capsized
- Thomas Was Alone
- Hotline Miami
- Oil Rush

Before posting, click "Preview Post" as this will also refresh the thread and you can see if somebody has beaten you to the punch.
Hotline Miami?

Ctrl+F didn't find anything. :lol

- Dear Esther
- Capsized
- Thomas Was Alone
- Oil Rush

Before posting, click "Preview Post" as this will also refresh the thread and you can see if somebody has beaten you to the punch.
I'll take Hotline.

Dah, never mind.

Steam just issues an update who's sole/primary purpose was to fix a possible UI hangup at start-up. Maybe this'll fix your problem.

Maybe. If I could just update that is. Apparently I don't have an internet connection now.

I really can't be arsed with this. Hopefully it sorts itself out somehow.

Can anybody give me a quick summary of how the economy works in Team Fortress 2? I haven't played in years (since before it became Hat Fortress). Specifically, I was curious how long you would have to play to say, accumulate items to sell for eh, $5 or so.

Tomodachi

I don't want to jinx it, but I think Summer Sale will be glorious. All dem trading cards... dayummmm~~~

Can anybody give me a quick summary of how the economy works in Team Fortress 2? I haven't played in years (since before it became Hat Fortress). Specifically, I was curious how long you would have to play to say, accumulate items to sell for eh, $5 or so.

I'm no expert but if you haven't launched the game for years I suggest you to do so, join a server, play a couple minutes and wait for some automatic drops. I did that some days ago and got like 4-5 pieces of equipment, I don't have a clue why but they were there. Sold them for about 5€ in total. However I haven't the slightest idea on how economy works in TF2, so I would be interested in some insight as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Know of a trading bot? I'd like to complete my Don't Starve badge.

Yeah I do know of a trading bot.

http://backpack.tf/cardswap

Login using the "Sign in through Steam" button in the top right corner.

They've got two bots. Look for the one that has the fewest of what you want to trade away and the most of what you want to receive--also look for the one with no queue. Click "Add to queue" on that bot. When you're at the front of the queue, you'll get a friend request on Steam. Say yes. Wait, and you'll get a trade request.

Drag your cards to the offer side and then type "add <cardname>" for each card you want. It'll tell you the credit balance... if you "overpay" it'll keep your credits for future trades, so don't worry about being 100% square. Don't Starve cards are much rarer than TF2 cards, but Really Big Sky cards are equally rare and Monsters etc etc cards are absurdly rare so I'm sure you'll figure out a 1:1 setup or better. You can also trade backgrounds and emotes.

I'd trade with you but I pawned my Don't Starve drops to finish my TF2 badge.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope they will do another ticket hunt.

Or have tasks to refill trading card drops.

But most important, the summer sale CAN NOT be next week.

It has to at least cover mid-July, so I'll have my tax back in time to splurge some more.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

- Dear Esther
- Capsized
- Oil Rush

I would love a copy of Capsized :)

EDIT: Thanks JaseC! GAF is so generous.
And it's addictive. Steamgifts be darned, next time I have a spare key, i'll post it here. :p

TronLight

So, I tried Faerie Solitaire and dropped some cards, but I see that there are 9 cards, and I only have 5 drops avaiable... How do I unlock the remaining cards? I have to buy them or...?

So, I tried Faerie Solitaire and dropped some cards, but I see that there are 9 cards, and I only have 5 drops avaiable... How do I unlock the remaining cards? I have to buy them or...?
The general idea is that you trade for them. But that is not really feasible if you are not playing Team Fortress 2 or DOTA 2. It's still in beta though, so hopefully they will work on the system some more. Personally I think having a refill over time would work (one drop earned per week maybe?).

Maybe Baron will come back and provide a little more detail, but this is literally the only impression of it I've read on GAF. Not encouraging. :/

You guys want Monster Loves You impressions? Alright, here's what I have to say.

Monster Loves You is basically a digital choose-your-own-adventure game with RPG elements. You play as a monster from birth to (possibly) death, going through incidents throughout your life, and choosing how you approach them. Most decisions you make impact at least one of six stats: Kindness, Bravery, Cleverness, Ferocity, Honesty, and Respect. The first five of these stats can be increased or decreased throughout your whole game, and in the later stages, your level in them affects your ability to achieve certain options, much like skill checks in Fallout. The Respect stat is introduced later, and getting a high level in this stat allows you to get to the final stage more easily.

Each stage lasts a certain number of in-game days, and each day, you make pick one incident to live and decide through.

At the end of the penultimate stage, your stats are weighed, you have a last few decisions to make, and then you either move on to the last stage as an Elder or die. Thankfully, it's not hard to get to the last stage at all.

The last stage has you interacting with humans and other Elder monsters, and your actions affect each group's perception of the other. At the end of this stage, the perceptions are weighed, you make a last few decisions, and then your decisions determine the fate of monsters and humans. The end.

There are fourteen endings to get, and a playthrough lasts about forty-five minutes. The game is entirely text-based, and plays out much like a children's storybook. With that in mind, my only gripe with the game is that there are times where you have to choose between something clearly stupid and something clearly smart, and then ask you to choose between them immediately. It doesn't really allow you to use your own brain much in that regard.

I enjoy conversation trees, so I found this game enjoyable, but I'm skeptical if others on GAF would. It has the sensibilities and tone of a children's book, after all. It's clearly aimed at children, though, and it's not a bad game for them.

Tomodachi

The general idea is that you trade for them. But that is not really feasible if you are not playing Team Fortress 2 or DOTA 2. It's still in beta though, so hopefully they will work on the system some more. Personally I think having a refill over time would work (one drop earned per week maybe?).
I think it's fine as it is. Those interested in badges will buy cards (they already do, a lot) or trade doubles, those not interested will sell every dropped card and make a few bucks. Simple as that. Refills would be too rich, basically free money for the second type of players, and destroying the cards' market value in a few months.

TronLight

I think it's fine as it is. Those interested in badges will buy cards (they already do, a lot) or trade doubles, those not interested will sell every dropped card and make a few bucks. Simple as that. Refills would be too rich, basically free money for the second type of players, and destroying the cards' market value in a few months.
You can drop doubles? Even if you already ran out of avaiable drops?

The_Monk

- Dear Esther
- Oil Rush

Do you still have Oil Rush fellow GAFfer?

Edit: Thank you JaseC!

Tomodachi

Nice, I might not be able to afford TressFX in Tomb Raider but I can turn Tassellation on just fine even on my dated hardware, despite what Geforce Experience tells me.

Which, btw, I just discovered (haven't been updating those drivers in a while, shame on me). It's not much but it's neat I guess. One less argument for console "I just want to put in a disc and play" gamers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Those of you who are in the Toki Tori 2 beta, does Two Tribes want to hear anything in particular or do you simply just shoot them an e-mail and politely ask for a key?

Looks like Civilization V is going to be free to play this weekend from Thursday, June 6 @ 10am PDT (1:00pm EDT) to Sunday, June 9 @ 10am PDT (1:00pm EDT) per the official Civilization facebook page.

Dig in if you haven't played it. Game's awesome.

Ionic

Those of you who are in the Toki Tori 2 beta, does Two Tribes want to hear anything in particular or do you simply just shoot them an e-mail and politely ask for a key?

They're lovely people. Just email them and you're likely to get a key to help test. That's what I did. Best of luck.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
:(

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I don't think this was it. Thanks for the lengthy post&#8212;I was thinking I'd probably still give it a shot, but this doesn't sound like I'd have much fun with it at all. You just saved me a few bucks.

DagsJT

How much are people selling Faerie Solitaire cards for? I'd be happy playing it again and making a few pence in the process :)

MNC

That's what I did, like, a year ago. Dunno if that still works.

Gaspode_T

Faerie Solitaire is one of the trading card games now?? Wow you don't need to give me an excuse to play that game - I have put like 5 hours into it already, great game

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I get what Salsa is saying, about how Valve is gamifying everything about the Steam client itself. I just don't think that's a bad thing.

I'm not the best person to make an argument against it anyway: I always disliked the Social aspects of Steam. I never used the Community tab: I don't care about groups or profile pages or screenshots of games.

So, since all they're doing is messing around in those areas (background for your profile page, badges, showcase!), I really don't care about any of that. I can't even be too mad about the fact that they're wasting resources or something that I don't care because I can actually sell those "collectible" items that I do not care about.

Between my account and my cousin's account (I usually gift her enough games that she has half the games that are in the cards, and she doesn't care about Steam much overall either), i've made 40 USD already. Just selling cards.

Not only that, Valve made Dota2 entirely free to play. You don't have to pay a cent to have 100% of the gameplay features of the game available to you: You don't have to buy extra slots or characters.

So, by creating this filthy market where they get 25% of every sale as commission, and making a highly collectible digital card game to go along with it, they essentially made 15 bucks of all my sales alone combined. What do we get in exchange? A free, complete game. (it just happens to be a game I have no interest in, this time around).

It's no different than enforcing a horrible always-on DRM but providing a actually better alternative than pirating (which is Steam was always about, to me anyway). They provide free and good games, but there's this whole shady operation behind it were they make money selling you absolutely nothing. And then make money again when you sell it.

It's genius.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Valve has been game-ifying Steam for years now with the sales stuff. And let's not kid ourselves. No one legitimately did 100% of the previous games without exploits or borrowed saves or looking stuff up to do it as quickly as possible.

Your golden potatoes and golden tickets are all a lie to some degree.

FloatOn

hey, I've got a random question. Has anyone done the co-op for Two Worlds 2?

some friends and I are looking for a decent co-op action rpg we could play casually.

So, by creating this filthy market where they get 25% of every sale as commission, and making a highly collectible digital card game to go along with it, they essentially made 15 bucks of all my sales alone combined. What do we get in exchange? A free, complete game. (it just happens to be a game I have no interest in, this time around).
It's actually 15%, 5% to Valve and 10% to devs for the cards anyway.
Darn, I didn't get any foil off Faerie Solitaire.
Damn, CommandgirlVideo Foil card is $50. Quite a few of those Foil bit trip runner cards have a really high price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom