• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing the game didn't do too well considering the Steam page mentions it's the first chapter in an episodic adventure and it's been well over two years since its initial release.

#HappyBirthdaySaoirse
Is she legal now? Or are you still on the FBI watchlist?

Bumhead

Banned
Actually F1 2011 is much better than F1 2012. The last game was incredibly buggy and shitty overall.

Oh dear.

The disclaimer here is that I already own F1 2010 and was hoping some of that stuff might have been ironed out by now. Unless there's a worthy reason to upgrade (as I hoped there might be by now) I'll probably stick to 2010.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh dear.

The disclaimer here is that I already own F1 2010 and was hoping some of that stuff might have been ironed out by now. Unless there's a worthy reason to upgrade (as I hoped there might be by now) I'll probably stick to 2010.

None of the games are perfect but 2011 is the best out of the 3.

To go you an idea, they released 13 patches in the first month of F1 2012 and it's still super buggy.

Anodyne is quite great, everybody should buy it.

I'm guessing the game didn't do too well considering the Steam page mentions it's the first chapter in an episodic adventure and it's been well over two years since its initial release.

#HappyBirthdaySaoirse

It looks like they spent this time updating the game for XBLA. http://indiegames.com/2013/03/ares_extinction_agenda_ex_fina.html

I don't see how they could fix it tbh. It'd be a completely new game.

deleted

Try unplugging any unnecessary USB devices. I remember in Fallout 3 I wasn't able to bring up the developer's console (basically a necessity in that game) because I had a USB media center remote plugged in. Crazy.

We tried that, it didn't work.

Far worse - I managed to break steam for him and have no idea how. During an installation of gfwl, steam began with some kind of hickup. Responds for a second - doesn't respond for several seconds. We did a reinstallation on a completely different partition, but the error persists. What to do?

This error plops up, every time I close steam, when it's not responding: buildbot winslave04 steam steam_rel_client_win32@winslave04

Google suggested a steam-overlay problem. Doesn't seem to be overlay connected though, I switched that off - didn't help.

Far worse - I managed to break steam for him and have no idea how. During an installation of gfwl, steam began with some kind of hickup. Responds for a second - doesn't respond for several seconds. We did a reinstallation on a completely different partition, but the error persists. What to do?

This error plops up, every time I close steam, when it's not responding: buildbot winslave04 steam steam_rel_client_win32@winslave04

Google suggested a steam-overlay problem. Doesn't seem to be overlay connected though, I switched that off - didn't help.

You had the Dark Souls black screen bug where it sits loading and doesn't go into full screen, right?

It happens frequently to me. The only "solution" I found is more like a magical pass: I simply turn off the entire comp, fire it up again, make sure nothing else will open, fire Steam, open Dark Souls and don't touch anything until it boots up to the GFWL screen.

I haven't found an efficient, proper solution to this issue but the reboot/turning the comp off has worked so far...

1-D_FTW

None of the games are perfect but 2011 is the best out of the 3.

To go you an idea, they released 13 patches in the first month of F1 2012 and it's still super buggy.

And it should be noted they were just using those as beta patches to get the console patch ready. Once those limited console patches were used up, the patches stopped and they were done with PC patches (even though the game was still a mess).

Grief.exe

What have you tried so far?

Are you on win 7 or 8?

see5harp

Does anyone know why certain games don't give the option to install to your secondary drive? Of the top of my mind, it's stuff like Left 4 Dead 1/2 and Half Life 2. I click install and it just forces a C:\ install.

Nabs

Does anyone know why certain games don't give the option to install to your secondary drive? Of the top of my mind, it's stuff like Left 4 Dead 1/2 and Half Life 2. I click install and it just forces a C:\ install.

I think they have to be on the new content system.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sorry whoever this is, because I uploaded and posted this without editing your name out. I edited it now, so... Sorry? :D

C6fb4UG.jpg

Greenlight Submission Fees show up on your "friends recently purchased" list? Interesting!

ArjanN

#HappyBirthdaySaoirse

A.R.E.S. is alright. It's not episodic by the way. They've said they wanted to do a sequel, but it's a self-contained game.

Deques

A.R.E.S. is alright. It's not episodic by the way. They've said they wanted to do a sequel, but it's a self-contained game.

I find the game quite good, kinda Mega Man style, but the bugs breaks the game

i6nmCKfP8XGZ7.PNG

iqAnPFel70tVG.PNG

iNKeZMkvzdO0T.PNG

well that was fun

wish there was anything more challening to look forward to in the game but bleh

first one is still way harder

Nice work, Salsa. How is the game compared to the first game in terms of difficulty? Easier, harder or same?

Just started playing Bit.trip Runner 2. Fun game. I wanted play a few minutes but got kinda hooked. Like Salsa said, its easier than the first game

Yeah, that's what I was looking at. I'm interested in the games at the $3 level. None at the lower level. I hear Oniken is solid, too.

8-bit Commando is kind of a more lenient Contra, pretty damn nice overall.
Anodyne, I've been playing it, it's not clicking with me but so far looks ok. I'll give it another go.
Bleed, well, I already talked about it. Very good.
Oniken is freaking awesome. Loved it to hell.

Salsa

I gave Deus Ex at least two hours before I couldn't stand how bored I was of it's shit combat, too-big hub areas, and hideous visuals. Not to mention I really don't give a damn about non-linear/player agency/oooh all the choices

I've rarely forced myself though a game I don't enjoy. Life is too short to spent playing boring video games. Especially just so you can check something off your fuckin' backlog, of all the pointless things.

00000.gif

Didn't see it mentioned in the earlier GameFly post but Sine Mora is on for $2.49 as well.

Hotline Miami and The Binding of Isaac have been on sale a bunch recently but I haven't pulled the trigger as I somehow feel that the games are trading too heavily on violence/gore as part of the experience. I know how ridiculous that seems given a large portion of the library we enjoy but does anyone else feel these games perhaps revel in it a little more than some?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing Bit.trip Runner 2. Fun game. I wanted play a few minutes but got kinda hooked. Like Salsa said, its easier than the first game
It's easier, but no less fantastic.

8-bit Commando is kind of a more lenient Contra, pretty damn nice overall.
Anodyne, I've been playing it, it's not clicking with me but so far looks ok. I'll give it another go.
Bleed, well, I already talked about it. Very good.
Oniken is freaking awesome. Loved it to hell.
I've yet to try the DRM-free games that I collected with these indie bundles. I never even bothered to download any of them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, that's awesome. I know there are no wrong opinions, but in Viewtiful's case I'll make an exception. His opinion on Deus Ex is wrong, completely wrong.

Didn't see it mentioned in the earlier GameFly post but Sine Mora is on for $2.49 as well.

Hotline Miami and The Binding of Isaac have been on sale a bunch recently but I haven't pulled the trigger as I somehow feel that the games are trading too heavily on violence/gore as part of the experience. I know how ridiculous that seems given a large portion of the library we enjoy but does anyone else feel these games perhaps revel in it a little more than some?
Hotline Miami isn't a glorification of violence, actually. From what I've understood, it's more like a critique or something like that. The story is rather convoluted, but the game as a whole is a great experience (and it has one of my favorite soundtracks in any game).

Anyway, it's such a good game that I believe everybody should play it. If you feel slightly interested in it, I'd say get it. At first I wasn't, and the gameplay videos I watched didn't do anything for me, but I finally bought it because everyone here said it was good. And what an understatement "good" was. It's way better than good. Do yourself a favor and don't miss out on it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Haha, that's awesome. I know there are no wrong opinions, but in Viewtiful's case I'll make an exception. His opinion on Deus Ex is wrong, completely wrong.

I am of the opinion that opinions can be wrong.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it could still be fundamentally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom