• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

that Dead Island Riptide deal is pretty good

too bad I barely touched the original

edit: oh I thought I could also use the discount voucher on it

Yes, they are legit, but you know what's crazy? They don't promote their sales. They have a twitter account, but they only retweet when people tell them they bought a game.

There's ZERO advertisement of their sales, ever.

I've never even heard of that website before.

Ah, it's Brazilian. My bank is so afraid of international transactions now that I have to call them directly to authorize each individual transaction. Totally killed the benefit of Green Man Gaming because I can't take advantage of their weekend deals while my bank is open.

HenryHSH

Yes, they are legit, but you know what's crazy? They don't promote their sales. They have a twitter account, but they only retweet when people tell them they bought a game.

I keep getting emails about their sales, but I'm registered and have bought from them before so..

That's just twitter, man. Join the mailing list.

And y'all should totally get Omerta. It's a casual game though, so don't expect anything serious.

I got an email from them this morning and get one every other day.

Good site. Some of their pricing is strange as some things are quite expensive. But the good deals tend to be pretty strong like the $25 or whatever it was Tomb Raider preorder.

oipic

Just played a couple of hours of Don't Starve (where did the time go?) - died on day 12 at the hands (or jaws) of a couple of boar-like nasties, after only just surviving a frenzied attack by a swarm of bees earlier the same day. Charming game. Great fun.

I'm trying to avoid wikis and the like for now, but yeah... ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg.

anyone using windows 8? im tempted to make the jump on my pc. do most games work fine?

Most people seem to hate it, but I've never had any problems with it. For me, the performances are better than Windows 7. And my laptop now boots up in less that 6 seconds (I'm on SSD), which just wasn't possible on Seven.

But beware, the new metro interface is quite divisive.

chixdiggit

Just played a couple of hours of Don't Starve (where did the time go?) - died on day 12 at the hands (or jaws) of a couple of boar-like nasties, after only just surviving a frenzied attack by a swarm of bees earlier the same day. Charming game. Great fun.

I'm trying to avoid wikis and the like for now, but yeah... ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg.

Fun game for sure. I made it to day 25 on my second play through.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I just did. For that exact reason.

Nothing showed up.

It's a long shot but you can ask support. Since the rewards have been spastic you might have a chance at making your case. I wonder if they're gonna stop messing with it now or if we'll see another switcheroo.

It's a long shot but you can ask support. Since the rewards have been spastic you might have a chance at making your case. I wonder if they're gonna stop messing with it now or if we'll see another switcheroo.

In the worst case, he could ask for a refund and then pre-order it again I guess.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I am running another game in the background, so maybe Steam didn't "notice" I ran TF2.

I'll try again later and, if nothing shows up, I'll ping support.

Hotline Miami isn't a glorification of violence, actually. From what I've understood, it's more like a critique or something like that. The story is rather convoluted, but the game as a whole is a great experience (and it has one of my favorite soundtracks in any game).

Anyway, it's such a good game that I believe everybody should play it. If you feel slightly interested in it, I'd say get it. At first I wasn't, and the gameplay videos I watched didn't do anything for me, but I finally bought it because everyone here said it was good. And what an understatement "good" was. It's way better than good. Do yourself a favor and don't miss out on it.

A compelling reply. With the GF sale and an additional 20% off on top of that I definately can't pass it up. I'll let you know what I think.

Also.... SINE MORA!!! Support shmups people!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
A compelling reply. With the GF sale and an additional 20% off on top of that I definately can't pass it up. I'll let you know what I think.

Also.... SINE MORA!!! Support shmups people!
SHUT UP AND PLAY AND PLAY AND PLAY IT

Glad to see you got it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Don't feel bad if you seem to suck at first, it takes a little while to get used to its mechanics. But once you do, you'll realise it plays really well, and you'll be able to pull off some impressive moves.

And that music... LISTEN TO THIS!

About Sine Mora, I tried the demo and didn't like it. It looks nice, but felt boring. Is the full game any better?

SHUT UP AND PLAY AND PLAY AND PLAY IT

Glad to see you got it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Don't feel bad if you seem to suck at first, it takes a little while to get used to its mechanics. But once you do, you'll realise it plays really well, and you'll be able to pull off some impressive moves.

And that music... LISTEN TO THIS!

About Sine Mora, I tried the demo and didn't like it. It looks nice, but felt boring. Is the full game any better?

Play it?! You've been on Steam long enough to know you don't play any of the games you purchase. Heh. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. It was the lesser of the two I brought up that I was being stalwart towards. That said, what are your opinions on The Binding of Isaac?

I played Sine Mora on both PS3 and Vita and found it to be competent if not spectacular. The graphical style was a neat spin and the gameplay seemed to hit a nice sweet spot between the controlled environment of a Gradius and the complete batshit insanity of a Japanese bullet hell shmup. That said, it's definately not the best shmup I've played in the last few years but it's one of the few semi-high profile ones. The genre doesn't get much support outside of twin stick shooters these days so when one comes along, and in particular when that one is developed by Grasshopper, I try to get on board. If the demo didn't grab you the rest of the game isn't likely to change your mind.

PaulLFC

Thought I'd list these out for those who aren't in the group. Information courtesy of the Hookups on Steam. (Blog link)

[Nuuvem]

2 for ~$10 deal* - Steam redeemable:

• Alpha Protocol
  • Binary Domain
  • Blades of Time
  • Omerta: City of Gangsters
  • Sine Mora
*ROW/standard digital versions with no region restrictions. Purchased via Paypal with no issues and I've bought from here before; they're legit.
I want to buy this but Paypal's stupid web checkout thing they use doesn't work properly. It insists, in all browsers and on my phone, that my username and password are incorrect - this is despite me having a tab open right next to this with the proper Paypal website, which accepts my details fine and lets me log in with no issue.

Would anyone be willing to buy Omerta and AC Rev and I can Paypal them the money (through the normal website, which is working fine)?

Really strange issue.

Edit: I need to get some sleep now, so disregard my request above for now since I won't be able to pay right away for the next few hours or so, since I'll be asleep :p

Edit 2: Sorted now :)

omg_mjd

anyone using windows 8? im tempted to make the jump on my pc. do most games work fine?

Ever since getting back again into PC gaming this year I've only run Windows 8 on my machine. No compatibility problems so far on any of my Steam games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A.R.E.S. is alright. It's not episodic by the way. They've said they wanted to do a sequel, but it's a self-contained game.

Well, in that case the description needs updating:

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda is the first chapter in a full featured episodic hardcore action packed side scrolling platformer, in the traditions of retro classics, where you play as Ares, a combat robot created for the sole purpose of saving humanity. Can you live up to the task or will you be reduced to nuts and bolts?

Ever since getting back again into PC gaming this year I've only run Windows 8 on my machine. No compatibility problems so far on any of my Steam games.

Only issue I have had is with telltale games. You need to dick around with direct x dlls or unplug your controller.

Other than that, no problems at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Play it?! You've been on Steam long enough to know you don't play any of the games you purchase. Heh. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. It was the lesser of the two I brought up that I was being stalwart towards. That said, what are your opinions on The Binding of Isaac?

I played Sine Mora on both PS3 and Vita and found it to be competent if not spectacular. The graphical style was a neat spin and the gameplay seemed to hit a nice sweet spot between the controlled environment of a Gradius and the complete batshit insanity of a Japanese bullet hell shmup. That said, it's definately not the best shmup I've played in the last few years but it's one of the few semi-high profile ones. The genre doesn't get much support outside of twin stick shooters these days so when one comes along, and in particular when that one is developed by Grasshopper, I try to get on board. If the demo didn't grab you the rest of the game isn't likely to change your mind.
Haha, that's true. Playing games is for fools!

I played 2 hours of TBoI, and don't have much to say about it, neither good nor bad. It's entertaining, but I'm bad at it, and don't understand much of what happens there. It has many fans though, so one of them could probably tell you much more about the game.

I'll pass on Sine Mora then. It's a shame, some games have a demo that's not representative of the full version, like Spec Ops: The Line. Looks like this isn't one of those cases.

feel

Deus Ex 1 fans help me out here. I'm preparing my first Deus Ex 1 playthrough since I played it on ps2 when it came out like 10 years ago (or more). Got a D3d 10 renderer set up and the new vision mod, that makes the world look really nice while still looking similar to the original. But the first person viewmodels and characters still look like ass, how can I fix that? I've found out about this HDTP thing but I don't know where to find a working link or how to install it on the steam version. Is it as faithful as New Vision or should I just stick with the original character models? (They do have their charm) Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be so sure. Valve not exhibiting just means there'll be no Valve booth; it doesn't necessarily preclude an announcement.

They'll be too busy being part of the Xbox 720 stand anyway.

Deus Ex 1 fans help me out here. I'm preparing my first Deus Ex 1 playthrough since I played it on ps2 when it came out like 10 years ago (or more). Got a D3d 10 renderer set up and the new vision mod, that makes the world look really nice while still looking similar to the original. But the first person viewmodels and characters still look like ass, how can I fix that? I've found out about this HDTP thing but I don't know where to find a working link or how to install it on the steam version. Is it as faithful as New Vision or should I just stick with the original character models? (They do have their charm) Thanks in advance.

First stop for mods is Mr Minsc's guide:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24328015&postcount=4

Deus Ex Guides:

GOG http://www.gog.com/forum/deus_ex_series/deus_ex_augmentation_guide/page1
Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my
Steam http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14559815&postcount=1

Mods list:
http://www.gog.com/forum/deus_ex_series/mods_for_deus_ex_graphics_gameplay_and_more/page1

Addnan

Tried to buy from Nuuvem. Wouldn't work in chrome when I translated, so used it in firefox without translations. After attempting to pay through paypal something popped up in Portuguese the only word I understood was paypal. Payment did not go through :(

edit: says could not complete transaction with paypal.

Salsa

Tried to buy from Nuuvem. Wouldn't work in chrome when I translated, so used it in firefox without translations. After attempting to pay through paypal something popped up in Portuguese the only word I understood was paypal. Payment did not go through :(

huehuehueuhueuehue

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

edit: says could not complete transaction with paypal.

Re: Nuuvem - I wonder if the quote below has anything to do with people being turned down? Maybe call your bank or card issuer if you feel it's worth the trouble. USA here and my Paypal transaction went through earlier when I got Omerta for myself and gave Binary Domain to a friend. I didn't have an issue when I bought Tomb Raider from them either.

I'm not sure what would cause PaulLFC to be unable to log into Paypal though, that's just weird.

EDIT: Also, for clarification, the actual cost after conversion came out to $10.44 US for me.

Ah, it's Brazilian. My bank is so afraid of international transactions now that I have to call them directly to authorize each individual transaction. Totally killed the benefit of Green Man Gaming because I can't take advantage of their weekend deals while my bank is open.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I myself just bought Omerta and Binary Domain just fine via PayPal.

Also, quote if you'd like the latter. Edit: Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom