• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised I have Mafia in my library. I've played Mafia II but not the first, is it worth playing? Reviews suggest it was good, but how does it hold up for an 11 year old game?

What's the word about Omerta? Is it fun?

It's the most boring game I've ever played, isn't "bad" but it's incredibly repetitive and feels like a prettier 5 dollar iphone game. Can't believe it was made by the Tropico people.

And it has the most laughably cliched(completely straight face) story I've ever experienced in a game. Really do avoid it.

Blizzard

Banned
"Squandered potential" seems to be the consensus; good idea, poor execution.
I thought it looked cool when I initially saw it, especially given the Tropico developers. But the price wasn't cheap, and the general impressions were just kind of sad and of squandered potential like you say. Maybe next time. =(

Wok

Valve store has some new plushes up
http://store.valvesoftware.com/index.php?t=2&g=7

Crazy the action figures already sold out, odd the pyro specifically is the one to come with a bonus code for stuff

S0408_Main.png

I don't understand how the plushie can cost 5$ less than the balloon. The balloon seems more fragile.

So is anyone going to pick up Fez when it comes out, or are we too busy with our spreadsheets?

I plan to get it day 1.

Somebody's added orifices to that thing.

You know it to be true.
You can just invert the horn.

Deus Ex 1 fans help me out here. I'm preparing my first Deus Ex 1 playthrough since I played it on ps2 when it came out like 10 years ago (or more). Got a D3d 10 renderer set up and the new vision mod, that makes the world look really nice while still looking similar to the original. But the first person viewmodels and characters still look like ass, how can I fix that? I've found out about this HDTP thing but I don't know where to find a working link or how to install it on the steam version. Is it as faithful as New Vision or should I just stick with the original character models? (They do have their charm) Thanks in advance.
I'd recommend just sticking to the OG models, but I've always been a visual purist. Hated New Vision as the texture detail clashed with the simple geometry.

I decided to get around to playing Deus Ex GOTY and am running into an annoying bug. Sometimes when I pick up ammo it doesn't add it to the clip count. I noticed it happening with both my pistol and crossbow. I'm using Windows 7 and "Deus Exe". The game immediate crashed before I used "Deus Exe".

Has anyone encountered this issue and know a solution?

Yes. I've heard that Dark Souls doesn't work because of GFWL, but I haven't tried it myself.

I'm pretty sure GFWL is integrated to W8 natively, so it actually works better (for me at least). No wait for GFWL to start or exit, which was a bit of an issue on W7.

If you add a start menu to W8 it's pretty much an improved version of W7, imo. Works great. Only issue so far is XCOM, which can be solved by running Steam and/or XCOM as administrator.

I'm pretty sure GFWL is integrated to W8 natively, so it actually works better (for me at least). No wait for GFWL to start or exit, which was a bit of an issue on W7.
Incorrect, that only applies to the new Xbox apps which are all Metro based. GfWL has to start up as per Windows 7 and earlier.

Megasoum

Banned
So huh...I kinda "discovered" the Steam market this morning. Like I knew it existed for a long time now but never actually looked at it.

I reinstalled TF2 to update my items (got like 11 new since the last time I launched it lol) and put everything I could sell on the market. I made over 15$ in the last hour with still 10 items left to sell. Nothing major (mostly 1$ stuff) buy hey, free money! Especially awesome since most of the items I sell are pre-order bonus I got for free because of my job lol.

Out of curiosity, what's the most expensive item on the market?

I'm going through my installed games list and trying to remove anything I'm not going to play in the immediate future or have already played through to completion. I'm looking at Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Didn't they add all the original L4D maps to L4D2? Any reason to keep L4D1 installed?

HoosTrax

So huh...I kinda "discovered" the Steam market this morning. Like I knew it existed for a long time now but never actually looked at it.

I reinstalled TF2 to update my items (got like 11 new since the last time I launched it lol) and put everything I could sell on the market. I made over 15$ in the last hour with still 10 items left to sell. Nothing major (mostly 1$ stuff) buy hey, free money! Especially awesome since most of the items I sell are pre-order bonus I got for free because of my job lol.

Out of curiosity, what's the most expensive item on the market?
There are some Strange Festive weapons on there for almost $200. Unusual hats aren't tradeable yet, so the really big ticket items aren't up there.

The most expensive thing I've sold so far is a Pudge hook for about $60.

I'm going through my installed games list and trying to remove anything I'm not going to play in the immediate future or have already played through to completion. I'm looking at Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Didn't they add all the original L4D maps to L4D2? Any reason to keep L4D1 installed?
Only for L4D1-exclusive achievements.

dani_dc

Some people prefer the balance of L4D and the less special infected.
That's about it though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

It depends in how you like to play L4D. I prefer playing the original in the way it was made rather than in 2 with the new weapons and new infected. There's a simplicity to L4D1 I really enjoy but if that's not a concern I can't think of any reason to keep it installed over 2.

bigace33

Just realised I have Mafia in my library. I've played Mafia II but not the first, is it worth playing? Reviews suggest it was good, but how does it hold up for an 11 year old game?

I keep hearing how Mafia 1 is such a great game but I couldn't get past the horrible driving controls in the beginning of the game to find out. I mean they are really bad. Mafia 2 is awesome though. I feel like doing another play through of that one.

I keep hearing how Mafia 1 is such a great game but I couldn't get past the horrible driving controls in the beginning of the game to find out. I mean they are really bad. Mafia 2 is awesome though. I feel like doing another play through of that one.

The game truly is amazing. I replayed it recently, and I really enjoyed my time with it.

Edit: Wait, in which region is the first Mafia on Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom