• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Antechamber is a puzzle game, where every puzzle you encounter may or may not be solvable depending on whether you've acquired an item further into the game.

What that means is you will be presented with 4 puzzles blocking your progress, and have no idea if a puzzle needs an item to solve. Given the fact that many of the puzzles use non-obvious tricks to solve, you could potentially spend an hour trying to figure out a puzzle that actually needed an item.

I think it is an absolutely terrible game because of this.

Acorn

The deals recently have been fairly lacklustre. May just be my perception though as I either have everything or I'm not interested/it's still too much.

Anyone interested in sales data?
Here's a great write-up by Hitbox Team on the sales for Dustforce, including the first Steam sale and the Humble Bundle:

http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-sales-figures

humble-bundle.png

Grief.exe

Here's a great writeup by Hitbox Team on the sales for Dustforce, including the first Steam sale and the Humble Bundle:

We are always interested in sales data.

EDIT: Read the article, they were very successful for a niche game like that. I'm not very interested in platformers so I can't say I ever purchased the title.

Thought this was a very interesting graph.

net-income.png

They generated over $600,000 worth of revenue, but after Valve's cut, Humble's cut, etc they took home about $500,000.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I found antichamber got really dull about halfway through when it stopped the mind bending reality altering puzzles and became more of a rote block puzzle game.

FloatOn

That was a good read. Dustforce is amazing, people. Play it :(

I appreciate the game but I have some kind of mental block with it. I'm nowhere near as good as I should be. I should put some more time in with it.

their next game Spire intrigues me.

Nabs

I appreciate the game but I have some kind of mental block with it. I'm nowhere near as good as I should be. I should put some more time in with it.

their next game Spire intrigues me.

Dustforce has a steep learning curve. It took me hours until I felt comfortable with it. It has a great soundtrack, so it makes the tough stuff easier to manage.

Grief.exe

Hitbox's next game, Spire sounds amazing.

SPIRE IS AN FPS about ascending a monolithic tower of unknown origin. The internals of the tower are ever-changing: it'll be a different adventure every time. While exploring, players will encounter myriad dangers and elusive secrets; they must use their wits and limited resources to climb as high as possible.

Players will also have access to an unusual variety of items in the game. A huge part of the mastery will be figuring out novel combinations of the left-hand and right-hand items to overcome different challenges. Some items will be movement focused, some will change the environment, and some will be for protecting or healing yourself. We want to make Spire a game where it's fun to watch extremely skilled players as they sprint around dashing off walls while switching items and combining their effects in clever ways. It's a joy to watch really good Quake 3 CPMA players, to see them combine trickjumping and weapon switching to pull off majestic moves - we want to let people achieve comparable levels of skill.

spire-1.jpg

Source: http://hitboxteam.com/mystery-and-mastery

Nabs

Normally I'd ask what kind of madness this is but Meat Boy works pretty well with analog sticks as well so... I don't know what to think.

I find that the stick works well with all the wall running you're doing. I couldn't imagine using the 360 "d-pad" for it.

1-D_FTW

Here's a great write-up by Hitbox Team on the sales for Dustforce, including the first Steam sale and the Humble Bundle:

Wasn't the best sale 50 percent off before HB? I could have sworn that was the case with this game (and many others). Wonder how things would have differed had they did a 66 or 75 off sale before everyone got it in HB.

Maybe he's happy with 600,000. But this is one of those games I felt left money on the table with the way things were handled with sales prior to HB inclusion.

Grief.exe

Wasn't the best sale 50 percent off before HB? I could have sworn that was the case with this game (and many others). Wonder how things would have differed had they did a 66 or 75 off sale before everyone got it in HB.

Maybe he's happy with 600,000. But this is one of those games I felt left money on the table with the way things were handled with sales prior to HB inclusion.

I agree, HB should only be used as a last resort since the perceived value of the game will be much lower afterwards.

Might as well milk the 66%/75% off sales first, then go for the humble bundle.

Starseed Pilgrim is now on Steam. Didnt know that it was coming. People who got it in the Super Shock Bundle will supposedly get a Steam key for it at some point.

Hitbox's next game, Spire sounds amazing.

spire-1.jpg

Source: http://hitboxteam.com/mystery-and-mastery

This and The Witness are the indie games I'm most looking forward to.

I find that the stick works well with all the wall running you're doing. I couldn't imagine using the 360 "d-pad" for it.

I can see that. The 360 d-pad is barely useful for anything tbh, even weapon-selection is very wonky for me. I'd still love to try Dustforce (and Meat Boy) on a MadCatz fighting pad though.

Nabs

This and The Witness are the indie games I'm most looking forward to.

I can see that. The 360 d-pad is barely useful for anything tbh, even weapon-selection is very wonky for me. I'd still love to try Dustforce (and Meat Boy) on a MadCatz fighting pad though.

Playing NFS HP online with the 360 pad is an interesting experience.

It is really strange. You spend your time figuring out rules of your garden. I got stuck. Maybe I am not smart enough.

It seems quite interesting, and it's cheap. The only problem is that the pre-orders for Monaco should go live tomorrow, and Fez should also come really soon.

Why so many games? :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Good news guys, looks like RE 1-3, and possibly 4, are going to be coming to PC/Steam.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541077

After playing RE5 and RE6 over the past month, I've been in the mood to play/replay the past games. I've only played RE4 and bits and pieces of RE1 so this would be great. I don't have a console so it would be this or nothing.

And I don't know why they'd bother with the PC version of RE4 when they could port the XBLA/PSN version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom