• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valve should take a note out of Enhanced Steams book and highlight what you own. SO SO much better for browsing.

There is a Rockstar sale going on right now until Sunday I think. Today La Noire is super cheap.

sale

Thanks for the info!

Agreed, basic things like highlighting, much better multi-game browsing and others should be available. Searching the Steam store during sale is so much better because they change the interface but it would be cool to have an easier browsing post-sales too.

How many times people have found x or y games were on Steam but had no idea since they were buried deep down the catalogue catacombs.

edit: heh, maybe there should be a "Steam Divers" thread where people delve deep into the catalogue to see what they can find. Although, like I said above, we pretty much do that during the sales.

Thanks for the info!

Agreed, basic things like highlighting, much better multi-game browsing and others should be available. Searching the Steam store during sale is so much better because they change the interface but it would be cool to have an easier browsing post-sales too.

How many times people have found x or y games were on Steam but had no idea since they were buried deep down the catalogue catacombs.

edit: heh, maybe there should be a "Steam Divers" thread where people delve deep into the catalogue to see what they can find. Although, like I said above, we pretty much do that during the sales.

Ya there are a lot of games to look through and a lot of them don't get good coverage during sales because there are so many games.

1-D_FTW

I know, but it's still underwhelming :p

And are you sure that Valve really doesn't set the prices during the sales? A physical store can set the prices I think, so why a digital store could not?

Because a physical store buys a product. If they want to take a loss on it, so be it. Publishers don't care. Makes no difference to them. Steam is just a consignment shop. Valve isn't taking any losses on sales. They're taking their cut, so a publisher only lowers as far as they're comfortable doing so.

jediyoshi

I know, but it's still underwhelming :p

And are you sure that Valve really doesn't set the prices during the sales? A physical store can set the prices I think, so why a digital store could not?
because its not physical media. It would directly cut into the publishers profits as opposed to a store selling what it already owns

Because a physical store buys a product. If they want to take a loss on it, so be it. Publishers don't care. Makes no difference to them. Steam is just a consignment shop. Valve isn't taking any losses on sales. They're taking their cut, so a publisher only lowers as far as they're comfortable doing so.

Ok, I did not know that Valve couldn't take any losses! I knew that Valve was only taking a percentage, but my brain apparently refused to use this information ^^

1-D_FTW

Ok, I did not know that Valve couldn't take any losses! But I knew that Valve was only taking a percentage, and my brain did not do the connection ^^

They could take losses if they wanted to;) It's just a silly way to run a business and they smartly choose not to.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Recap of current sales on Steam redeemable games; some new, some ongoing. When we get to a new page I will move this there.

[Amazon]

*The Dreamcast Collection within this pack is NOT Steam redeemable

[Gamefly] - 20% off code - GFD20OFF

*US & Canada only

[GamersGate Spring Sale - Click for full Steam list]*

New:

*Use code elder-geek.com for extra 5% discount

[GameStop]

[GMG] - 20% off voucher - GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

[Paradox Shop]

• Europa Universalis III Chronicles - $7.49
  • Europa Universalis Rome Gold - $2.49
  • For The Glory: A Europa Universalis Game - $2.49

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Is Insurgency any good ? I never played the mod but the paid version looks fun. I must admit I like the sound of a 'Terrorist Hunt' mode as well, had many good times in modes like that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Darek Arisen needs to hit Steam. Hopefully after 1 or 2 months, when the console sales dry out, we'll here about the port. Looks amazing.

Yeah, I'm done picking up console games that could *possibly* get a port as it always leads to a bitter playthrough down the road wishing I had waited.

If anyone is interested, the Cry of Fear Standalone-Version is out now.

There was some problem about that Valve wanted to charge money for it, but the developer didnt or something. At least that are some rumors.

What I kinda find disturbing are the comments:

what it will be not free why i dont have a credit card ♥♥♥♥!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why valve of it will cost i will pull my gun in my head and shoot it ;__;

I hope they let it be free

If they make you charge for it, just tell them you want to charge the minimum possible

what if its not free. that would suck

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

I dont like the word "entitled", but the Game is good (imo) and I would gladly pay $5 for a good horror-Game. But some of the "fans" are entitled and it seems they just wanna have it for free. I just dont understand. When I read such comments, I kinda feel a bit mad. The developer developed a mod for who-knows-how-long and then, even if he would charge, people would get mad at him or disappointed at him if he would have charged some money?
I think a great game also deserves some $ for his work, if he would really charge for it.

If you google Darek Arisen this is the first result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ppqIiBVtgc
No, in my case google pick it up quite well. Even with the spell mistake the first link is about Capcpom game. So here's to spell mistakes and Steve for a bright future as agent in the showbiz. May publicity be free and plentiful for all of those involved!
I dont like the word "entitled", but the Game is good (imo) and I would gladly pay $5 for a good horror-Game. But some of the "fans" are entitled and it seems they just wanna have it for free. I just dont understand. When I read such comments, I kinda feel a bit mad. The developer developed a mod for who-knows-how-long and then, even if he would charge, people would get mad at him or disappointed at him if he would have charged some money?
I think a great game also deserves some $ for his work, if he would really charge for it.
Just let it to "gamers" to give a ill connotation to anything. Now "entitled" is a bad word. XD

I just see it as people wanting free "sh!t", like in everyplace around the world. In my country people feel "entiltled" to free electricity or water. Most here don't even pay trash recolection. Now, these are entitled f*cks XD

Just wanted to say thank you xelios for being willing to keep us up to date on the sales for games we can register on Steam. Really appreciate it.

For other folks, is MW3 worth the $20? I really don't care about MP, it would just be SP. I loved LOVED BLOPS 2 for this very reason.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Obligatory.

(I hope you're talking about drinking, there...)
I'm talking about... the legal age to... play violent games, yeah. Of course.

If anyone is interested, the Cry of Fear Standalone-Version is out now.

There was some problem about that Valve wanted to charge money for it, but the developer didnt or something. At least that are some rumors.

What I kinda find disturbing are the comments:

Dude, it's the Steam forums. It's like the IGN forums had a lobotomy performed by the worst Youtube commenters, while some sick /b/tards danced around fapping to the weird shit they probably fap to.

Those forums should come with a health warning. Gabe isn't responsible for loss of the will to live, or sudden urge to reboot the human race, or something like that.

xelios

^I'm half Irish, don't have the accent unfortunately.

Recap of current sales on Steam redeemable games; some new, some ongoing. Moved to the new page for new people, apologies for the repost.

[Amazon]

*The Dreamcast Collection within this pack is NOT Steam redeemable

[Gamefly] - 20% off code - GFD20OFF

[GamersGate Spring Sale - Click for full Steam list]*

Daily:

New:

*Use code elder-geek.com for extra 5% discount

[GameStop]

[GetGames]

[GetLoadedGo] - 2 for $24 Deal - Only the following are Steam activated:

• Civilization V Gold Edition
  • Hitman Absolution Professional Edition
  • F1 2012
  • LEGO Lord of the Rings
  • Serious Sam: First & Second Encounter HD
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Sniper Elite V2: HCE
  • Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed

[GMG] - 20% off voucher - GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

[Paradox Shop] - Impire won't add correctly, use the links below for that one

[Square Enix US Store] (Thanks to Equid at Reddit for the list)

• American Mensa Academy - $3.75
  • Conflict: Denied Ops - $2.50
  • Dead Island - $5.00
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition - $7.50
  • Front Mission Evolved - $5.00
  • Gyromancer - $2.50
  • Hitman: Absolution - $7.50
  • Hitman: Absolution Professional Edition - $10.00
  • Just Cause - $2.50
  • Just Cause 2 - $3.75
  • Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - $2.50
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - $3.75
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $3.25
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - $2.50
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - $2.50
  • Legacy of Kain: Defiance - $2.50
  • Order of War - $2.50
  • Rogue Trooper - $2.50
  • Scarygirl - $2.50
  • Season of Mystery: The Cherry Blossom Murders - $1.25
  • Sleeping Dogs - $7.50
  • Supreme Commander 2 - $3.25
  • The Last Remnant - $3.75
  • Thief: The Dark Project (Gold) - $2.50
  • Thief II: The Metal Age - $2.50
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows - $2.50
  • Tomb Raider (2013) - $37.49
  • Tomb Raider: Legend - $2.50
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld - $2.50
  • Yosumin! - $2.50

TheExodu5

Banned
Just bought Kairo. No clue how it is, but I love Myst, so I figured I might as well give it a go. I do want to pick up Dyad at some point, but $15 seems a bit much. I'll wait on a sale.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I hope there's another Arkham City deal somewhere soon, been jonesing for more Batman after reading a bunch of comics and the recent sale on Gamersgate wasn't Steam redeemable.

Damnit. No good sales on TR, FC3, RE6 or DmC. :(
Waiting for deals on these too, except RE6. FC3 at 40% off the other day was still too much for an impulse purchase.

xelios

Just bought Kairo. No clue how it is, but I love Myst, so I figured I might as well give it a go.

I plan to play it pretty soon. Replayed Riven a while back and there just aren't enough games like that in the world. Most recently Antichamber kinda left me wanting more of the 3D exploration puzzles.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hope there's another Arkham City deal somewhere soon, been jonesing for more Batman after reading a bunch of comics and the recent sale on Gamersgate wasn't Steam redeemable.
I hope that $5 sale for the GOTY edition on GMG gets a repeat someday. I want to punch myself for skipping it, though in my favor I hadn't even played AA at the time.

Just wanted to say thank you xelios for being willing to keep us up to date on the sales for games we can register on Steam. Really appreciate it.

For other folks, is MW3 worth the $20? I really don't care about MP, it would just be SP. I loved LOVED BLOPS 2 for this very reason.

Campaign is decent, but if you loved BLOPS 2 then you'll like it. You won't love it like BLOPS 2's campaign, but it's about on par with MW2 if you ever played that one.

naib

What's this Kairo myst thing?
Damn this thread.

Add me for Monaco. Steam Id is deflorist
I'd link but I'm on my mobile.

I'm waiting for a really good Sonic All Star Racing Transformed sale (like -75%). I'm buying two copies, that's why I haven't jump in :/

Think it's worth the $20?

It's the cheapest the game has ever been if I'm not mistaken (and it won't get cheaper for another year or two), and you'll get a decent 5 hours out of it. But if you expect it to match BO2 you'll be disappointed.

With Activision's inflated COD pricing the answer is usually no, it's not worth it for the campaign alone.

HoosTrax

Ugh, CoD4 is never on sale. Even now, when places like Amazon and Impulse sell actual Steamworks versions of it. Still never on sale. I don't care how many years it takes, CoD4 is going to be mine, at a discount, one day. Then I can play the MW1-3 campaigns from start to finish (yes, I have the other two games, oddly enough).

Sajjaja

Imo MW3 has the worst campaign of the newer ones, took me barely 4:30hrs to complete and despite all the chaos and big setpieces going on it's totally forgettable. Not worth 20$.

Relative to MW2, the campaign is definitely forgettable, but I had fun with it. I do remember some big moments, but its nothing like my recollection of playing MW2 for the first time where it was just non-stop adrenaline with amazing set pieces. My personal favourite was
the White House level... the music combine with the scenery was just amazing.

If you want to see the conclusion to that trilogy, I'd say get it, but if you're in no hurry, I think it can wait.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Oooo, a bunch of Kohan stuff is on sale. I have an old physical copy of Ahriman's Gift laying around somewhere, but this is tempting. ^_^

Blizzard

Banned
Kairo looks quite neat, though I'm afraid fullscreen it may be super grainy, like a raytracer engine that is always not quite fully sampled would look. :p

^I'm half Irish, don't have the accent unfortunately.

Recap of current sales on Steam redeemable games; some new, some ongoing. Moved to the new page for new people, apologies for the repost.

I wanted to jump in here and thank you for this. I appreciate the effort!

HoosTrax

Also, this was a year ago, but I did finally get around to playing Fortix 2:

So I know when people give away keys, people just claim anything just to own it, but you really owe it to yourself to try Fortix 2. It's really fun.

Let it not be said that I take freebies just for the sake of +1'ing my library. I ended up finishing the game and enjoyed it (oh but those black dragons are rage-inducing...). The game has some minor similiarities to that Jezzball game that came with some versions of Windows 95 (or 98).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom