• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dont think i've ever seen this in a demo before (lower right)

iB0kXQ8mqi9no.jpg

100% of XBLA games do this. They also have 1 button purchase completion, so you play to the end of the demo and it's like "LOL U GONNA LOSE 88 ACHIEVEMENTS AND 200 GAMERPICS IF U DON'T BUY NOW" and you press buy and just instantly the game keeps going, no download required. Amazing that they had the foresight to do that in 2005.

Tomodachi

dont think i've ever seen this in a demo before (lower right)

I have seen this in other games, I don't remember which though. It's a great feature, one thing I hate about demos is when you have to replay the demo sequence when you get the full game. Getting to continue from where the demo left off and with the achievements already unlocked is neat.

100% of XBLA games do this. They also have 1 button purchase completion, so you play to the end of the demo and it's like "LOL U GONNA LOSE 88 ACHIEVEMENTS AND 200 GAMERPICS IF U DON'T BUY NOW" and you press buy and just instantly the game keeps going, no download required. Amazing that they had the foresight to do that in 2005.

I cant remember ever seeing that. Though I don't use many demoes on the XBLA.

Sober

But that's probably because on XBLA you can afford to download the entire game and just cordon that part off as "demo".

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn, I'm watching the Helsing Quicklook and it looks amazing.

Really want it. The Summer Sale discount wasn't enough though...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's also led to the occasional bug like Shadow Complex where performing an action during the final moment of the demo prevented it from stopping the game and allowed you to play the rest of the game so long as you never powered off or went back to dashboard.

It was a pretty ballin feature though and I enjoyed having it in every XBLA game.

Caerith

*high five*

Controllers aside, how long is Recettear? It's on my wish list so I'll be picking it up.
I have a PS3. I don't have a 360 (or any reason ever to get one). I just wish Sony would release official drivers and that games would have the option to use PS prompts instead of 360 prompts.

Recettear is about 12 hours if you're just trying to "beat" it. 100%ing is a bit more involved (like, 80 hours?).

Grief.exe

It's also led to the occasional bug like Shadow Complex where performing an action during the final moment of the demo prevented it from stopping the game and allowed you to play the rest of the game so long as you never powered off or went back to dashboard.

It was a pretty ballin feature though and I enjoyed having it in every XBLA game.

Don't remind Jase that Shadow Complex isn't on Steam

Salsa

I also prefer the DS3 but honestly I just dont want the hassle. 360 pad is great cause you plug it in and that's it.

The arcade stick I got now is PS3, and while every fighting game on PC recognizes it just fine; some other games wont and I have to do the whole 360ce thing or whatever

it's just bothersome

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Don't remind Jase that Shadow Complex isn't on Steam

Oh man don't get me started either. I'd gladly pay $20-$25 for a Steam copy of Shadow Complex. Not sure i can justify $27 for Castlevania, but I'd buy Shadow Complex day 1.

Lotto

Guys, Air is so damn sexy.

Shout out to Accent for showing us the new in Steam Skin

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2989566

wHMC24l.jpg

This is pretty nice, although for some reason I can't get my grid view games to stick that close together, there always a noticeable gap that I can't seem to get rid of. I wish the electric blue color on the friends list was toned down a bit too, seems excessive. Other than that it's real slick! Thanks.

Acccent

Any way to get the dropdown menu on the friends list back for that skin?

Also I don't if you'd noticed, I hadn't at first, the Steam icon always brings up a menu - it does in the main window and in the friends window as well. Pretty much everything that's been removed from the interface is hidden in there.

Grief.exe

Guac confirmed for next week

UPDATE

Today, IGN can confirm that Guacamelee! is coming to Steam. It will be available on Thursday, August 8th, and will cost $14.99 (£11.99 and €13.99 for our European readers). Oh, and it will come packing a bunch of goodies, too.

In addition to the main game, Guacamelee! Gold Edition comes with two DLC packs – the Costume Pack and The Devil’s Playground – as well as full Steam functionality, including Steam Trading Cards, Achievements, leaderboards, cloud saving, and more

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/30/guacamelee-gold-edition-is-coming-to-steam

Dingotech

How good is GFWL....

I loaded up Dark Souls before I came to work just to see if everything was working for a game tonight. I logged into my XboxLIVE account and the game promptly informed me that my gold sub had run out. Of course this didn't worry me as I thought it wouldn't matter for GFWL.

Once the game loaded it informed me because of my LIVE status that the online features would be blocked and the game would be loaded in offline mode.... WTF is this shit!!
I tried logging out of the whole thing and logging back in, seems the message didn't come back, but why the heck did it even do that in the first place! It better not give me issues when I go to play it tonight...

Salsa

I guess you guys are cheap, so:

Bioshock Infinite season pass, being 2k, is $15 here rather than $20. Lemme know if you want me to buy it.

Should I downsample MP3 from 2560x1440 with MSAA off or play at 1080P with 2/4x MSAA? On my third playthough and realized I'd never bothered with MSAA after realizing I only got around 40 frames with 8x.

Hate games that don't let you adjust everything in game, MP3 in particular takes around a minute to get back into the game after restarting.

Nymphae

Banned
Ok, so, I activated my steam key for Dead Island and the Saints Row 3 DLC, and the only thing it says is you are about to install Dead Island. I started SR3 (which I already owned), and when I try to select DLC from the main menu, absolutely nothing happens at all. What am I doing wrong here?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, so, I activated my steam key for Dead Island and the Saints Row 3 DLC, and the only thing it says is you are about to install Dead Island. I started SR3 (which I already owned), and when I try to select DLC from the main menu, absolutely nothing happens at all. What am I doing wrong here?

Dead Island GOTY is, in fact, a subscription for Regular Dead Island + 3 pieces of DLC. There's no different registry entry for a GOTY version, like Batman Arkham City. If you want to double check if you have everything, right click Dead Island on your Steam list, proprieties and look at the DLC tab. They should be all there.

The DLC option in Saint's Row is for you to buy more DLCs. You access it as missions on the main map/Items for you to equip/Missions for you to start on your cellphone. Again, you can check what you have by doing what I said earlier.

Nymphae

Banned
Dead Island GOTY is, in fact, a subscription for Regular Dead Island + 3 pieces of DLC. There's no different registry entry for a GOTY version, like Batman Arkham City. If you want to double check if you have everything, right click Dead Island on your Steam list, proprieties and look at the DLC tab. They should be all there.

The DLC option in Saint's Row is for you to buy more DLCs. You access it as missions on the main map/Items for you to equip/Missions for you to start on your cellphone. Again, you can check what you have by doing what I said earlier.

Problem solved, thank you very much!

XShagrath

Putting up another reminder since it's evening time (at least where I'm at).

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock Infinite -- MB-8E5A485575B98128 - Taken by PriitV

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Next week is Release Date Overlap Week. Guacamelee and Spelunky on 8/8, and (non-Steam) Dragon's Crown and Tales of Xillia on 8/6.

Fuckin hell, I want all of those. No money for any of them though so I guess that's that problem solved :p Rise Of The Triad tomorrow should keep me busy though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Problem solved, thank you very much!

Taking into consideration that there was no problem reported on your message, I'd say that's a correct statement. :D

Never got around to buying a PS3

Going to rectify that soon.

I was thinking about this the other day.

The amount of games you already lost because you were not a PSN member in the past don't really make a good case about getting a PS3 now.

So... I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom