• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Did you feel the same about the main game episodes or just the DLC?

With the main game it didn't really dawn on me until a couple episode endings. I was expectng it in the DLC, but like that's all the DLC was was rapid fire gray moral decisions. It felt relentless.

denx

I stop giving a shit after a while because I know you get fucked either way and every way in the series when it comes to deciding anything.

That's just keeping true to The Walking Dead universe. Any character living in that zombie hellhole is fucked no matter what, and they translated that pretty well to the game I think.

Blizzard

Banned
steam store is straight up not working for me in the client

why

works fine for me .

ibgtmIdqrMVXna.png
This comic is being misused! Your honor, in the case above, Person A clearly did not claim that Steam sucked, but merely asked about their own particular problem. The comic does not apply!

We need a different version of this comic that can be more correctly used, stat.

On another new release note, I feel like I have spent more on Steam this year than in a long time. I am really liking some of the new releases and the variety associated with them. Shadowrun Returns, stuff like Cannon Brawl, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, and upcoming Guacamelee. I am happy about 2013! :D

vermadas

Just finished The Swapper. If you like puzzle platformers at all and appreciate games with great atmosphere then you owe it to yourself to play this game. Fantastic stuff.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
08/01/2013 - Take On Mars - Simulation - Bohemia Interactive/Bohemia Interactive - $XX.XX
08/06/2013 - Divinity: Dragon Commander - SRPG - Larian Studios/Larian Studios - $39.99 (4-Pack for $119.99)
08/13/2013 - DuckTales Remastered - Platformer - Capcom/WayForward - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/20/2013 - The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Squad-based TPS - 2K Games/2K Marin - $44.99
08/20/2013 - Saints Row IV - Open World Action - Deep Silver/Volition - $49.99 -
08/22/2013 - Skullgirls - Fighting - Marvelous/Lab Zero Games - $14.99 -
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Platformer - SEGA/SEGA Studios Australia - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - Activision/Red Fly Studios - $XX.XX
2013 - Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! - Action/Adventure - D3Publisher/WayForward - $XX.XX
2013 - The Wolf Among Us - Adventure - Telltale Games/Telltale Games - $XX.XX
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

08/20/2013 - Divekick - Fighting - Iron Galaxy Studios/Iron Galaxy Studios - $9.99
uO5LKg2.jpg
What the fuck.

Tenrius

Walking QTE: 400 Days kinda made me sick of like in your face morally gray choices. I stop giving a shit after a while because I know you get fucked either way and every way in the series when it comes to deciding anything.

My biggest gripe with The Walking Dead is how each "choice" is designed solely around making you feel ethically conflicted and afraid to make the wrong decision: they always give you a very limited time, all the options are not pleasant, a lot seems to be at stake. It was great and unusual at first, adrenaline and all, but then I realised that these situations literally didn't play any other role in the game outside of creating that momentous emotional impact. They didn't significantly affect the story nor did they change any gameplay elements, they were just there to tickle your nerves a bit before you move on with the story. Very similar to the cheap "jump scare" moments, only you had to choose which of the two buttons to press each time. When I did realise what was going on, the illusion was completely broken and I felt cheated each time I was prompted to make another "important decision". Some particular plot points in Episode 3 even felt like somebody was continuously screaming "FUCK YOU" right into my face.

Don't get me wrong: I still kinda liked it, because the overall story was still pretty decent and the game itself is unquestionably well-done, but those "tough choices", which didn't really have any effect on pretty much anything and were happening like every 10 minutes, detracted A LOT from my experience with the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
My biggest gripe with The Walking Dead is how each "choice" is designed solely around making you feel ethically conflicted and afraid to make the wrong decision: they always give you a very limited time, all the options are not pleasant, a lot seems to be at stake. It was great and unusual at first, adrenaline and all, but then I realised that these situations literally didn't play any other role in the game outside of creating that momentous emotional impact. They didn't significantly affect the story nor did they change any gameplay elements, they were just there to tickle your nerves a bit before you move on with the story. Very similar to the cheap "jump scare" moments, only you had to choose which of the two buttons to press each time. When I did realise what was going on, the illusion was completely broken and I felt cheated each time I was prompted to make another "important decision". Some particular plot points in Episode 3 even felt like somebody was continuously screaming "FUCK YOU" right into my face.

Don't get me wrong: I still kinda liked it, because the overall story was still pretty decent and the game itself is unquestionably well-done, but those "tough choices", which didn't really have any effect on pretty much anything and were happening like every 10 minutes, detracted A LOT from my experience with the game.
if you have to like pick between letting a home full of orphans burn and waterboarding your mom it's not even a moral choice, it's just whatever.

I got that feeling a lot too from the mass effect series, you get to choose like which alien race gets extinct, it's so far out it's not even slightly affecting.

the witcher series does moral choices a lot better

jtb

Banned

I completely agree.

My biggest gripe with The Walking Dead is how each "choice" is designed solely around making you feel ethically conflicted and afraid to make the wrong decision:

My biggest gripe was making a choice and seeing a character die...then loading up the next episode to see them walking around again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My biggest gripe was making a choice and seeing a character die...then loading up the next episode to see them walking around again.
My biggest gripe is it forcing you to make a decision before you can even read all the responses, let alone get a decent conception of their individual intended tone/implications and how the NPC might react. Fuck that rushed shit.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm hoping somehow for 5 smacks tomorrow for Recettear. I was going to get it for my birthday but by then, I don't want to have pay $20 if I don't have to. How often are these sales on CF titles?

I'm hoping somehow for 5 smacks tomorrow for Recettear. I was going to get it for my birthday but by then, I don't want to have pay $20 if I don't have to. How often are these sales on CF titles?

Pretty rare but not the rarest out there, maybe once every 3 months going off the past? I'm not totally sure though.

Also TWD wouldn't work without timed choices, with all the action going on you'd have to straight up pause the game, that would probably break the whole experience.

jediyoshi

Given the choice in decision "type", between gray and Bioware's paragon/renegade system, I'd take gray any day of the week. Seeing as the episodes originally came out so far apart, I didn't mind that they felt overly dramatic seeing as you had so much time in between to digest what had happened.

Tenrius

Didn't happen to me thankfully. It was still kinda messed up: my save file supposedly stopped working properly after I played through Episode 1 (or even before that, it still says "Episode 1"), but I didn't even notice that until later. I just started each new episode from the menu, played through each of them in a single sitting and everything was miraculously carried over to the next episode. I did lose like an hour of gameplay once though, when I quit an episode halfway through.

And of course it didn't matter in the end, since they both die. The same way even.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That must suck so bad. I only got to know about the save issues when I was in the middle of episode 4. Got worried it would happen to me but thankfully I didn't have any problems.

Sajjaja

If I'm really into Crusader Kings would Europa Universalis be something I would enjoy as well?

You mean number 4 (the one coming out)? Probably. It's the same engine, and I've heard there is going to be a character transfer utility where you can bring your CK2 character into EU since it takes place in the era afterwards.

That must suck so bad. I only got to know about the save issues when I was in the middle of episode 4. Got worried it would happen to me but thankfully I didn't have any problems.

It did.

(medium last episode/ending spoilers)
Throughout the sequence near the end I was being called out for things I had apparently done during the story. I was like "fuck off, I didn't do that" which kind of took me out of the moment.

Sort of funny though.

omg_mjd

Bought the Bioshock Infinite DLC and it's apparently a 5GB update, which raises my expectations a bit. But whatever the case I haven't touched the game again since finishing it so I'm looking forward to this.

Rise of the Triad tomorrow....and Guacamelee just being announced along with Spelunky earlier. Damn, going to have to pick and choose next month.

Anyone hear of any impressions from Rise of the Triad? It looks really fun, but also like a title that could easily end up mediocre.

Tenrius

Given the choice in decision "type", between gray and Bioware's paragon/renegade system, I'd take gray any day of the week. Seeing as the episodes originally came out so far apart, I didn't mind that they felt overly dramatic seeing as you had so much time in between to digest what had happened.

Well, it wasn't about the choices being gray, it was about them being non-consequential and not being meant to do anything besides causing a specific emotional response, the same one every time.

Black, white, gray — what does it matter if the concept of choices itself is flawed? Choices work the same way in Mass Effect: only their ethical/emotional component is different, but similarly superficial. Incidentally, Mass Effect is one series I feel some kind of distaste for.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can't wait to hear some Rise of the Triad reactions from Steambros. I watched Devolver Digital stream the latest build this afternoon, and it looked like the old-school shooter experience I was hoping to get from Serious Sam 3.

jediyoshi

Well, it wasn't about the choices being gray, it was about them being non-consequential and not being meant to do anything besides causing a specific emotional response, the same one every time.

Black, white, gray — what does it matter if the concept of choices itself is flawed? Choices work the same way in Mass Effect: only their ethical/emotional component is different, but similarly superficial. Incidentally, Mass Effect is one series I feel some kind of distaste for.

You're playing pretty loose with the term "non-consequential" here. Relative to what? Other games that deploy the choice mechanic? Choose your own adventure books? Did you literally feel that way every single time for every decision? Do you consider that to be the case when you chose characters that lived or died their way out of a story? Are you taking into account any of the logistical realities of more extreme plot derivations making their way into the story? Where do you draw the line for when an outcome is actually consequential? Is there an actual series or medium that you think employs any of this well?

Here's the latest version. More games to come for 2013 and 2014. And yes, some games without a Steam logo are likely coming to Steam, but I'm waiting for confirmations (need sources).

Games of July 2013

07/29/2013 - CastleStorm - Tower Defense - Zen Studios/Zen Studios - $9.99
07/29/2013 - Skulls of the Shogun - Turn-based strategy - 17-BIT/17-BIT - $14.99
07/30/2013 - Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - RPG - UIG Entertainment/Crafty Studios - $19.99
07/30/2013 - Cannon Brawl - Action/Strategy - Turtle Sandbox/Turtle Sandbox - $9.99 (2-Pack for $14.99)

07/31/2013 - Rise of the Triad - FPS - Apogee/Interceptor Entertainment - $14.99
07/31/2013 - Cloudberry Kingdom - Platformer - Ubisoft/Pwnee Studios - $9.99

Games of August 2013

08/01/2013 - Take On Mars - Simulation - Bohemia Interactive/Bohemia Interactive - $XX.XX
08/06/2013 - Divinity: Dragon Commander - SRPG - Larian Studios/Larian Studios - $39.99 (4-Pack for $119.99)
08/06/2013 - Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians - Music/Action/Adventure - Threaks - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/08/2013 - Spelunky - Platformer - Microsoft/Mossmouth - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg
DGaGzkv.jpg

08/08/2013 - Guacamelee! Gold Edition - Platformer - Drinkbox/Drinkbox - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/13/2013 - DuckTales Remastered - Platformer - Capcom/WayForward - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/13/2013 - Europa Universalis IV - Strategy - Paradox Interactive/Paradox Development Studio - $39.99
08/15/2013 - Worms Clan Wars - Strategy - Team17/Team17 - $24.99
08/15/2013 - Space Hulk - Strategy - Full Control Studios/Full Control Studios - $29.99
08/16/2013 - PAYDAY 2 - FPS - 505 Games /Overkill Software - $29.99 (4-Pack for $89.99$)
08/18/2013 - Disney Infinity - Platformer/Sandbox - Disney/Avalanche Software - $XX.XX
08/20/2013 - Divekick - Fighting - Iron Galaxy Studios/Iron Galaxy Studios - $9.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/20/2013 - The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Squad-based TPS - 2K Games/2K Marin - $44.99
08/20/2013 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - Action/Stealth - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Toronto - $59.99
08/20/2013 - Saints Row IV - Open World Action - Deep Silver/Volition - $49.99 -
08/22/2013 - Neverwinter: Fury of the Feywild - F2P MMORPG - Perfect World/Cryptic Studios - $19.99
08/22/2013 - Skullgirls - Fighting - Marvelous/Lab Zero Games - $14.99 -
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/27/2013 - Lost Planet 3 - TPS - Capcom/Spark Unlimited - $49.99
08/27/2013 - Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn - MMORPG - Square Enix/Square Enix - $29.99
08/27/2013 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition - Action/Adventure - Konami/MercurySteam - $XX.XX
08/28/2013 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - Activision/Red Fly Studios - $14.99 -
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/30/2013 - Rayman Legends - Platformer - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montpellier - $XX.XX -
uO5LKg2.jpg

Games of September 2013

09/03/2013 - Total War: Rome II - Strategy - SEGA/Creative Assembly - $59.95
09/04/2013 - Outlast - Survival horror - Red Barrels/Red Barrels - $19.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/10/2013 - Young Justice: Legacy - Action/RPG - Warner Bros./Little Orbit - $XX.XX
09/24/2013 - Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - Platformer/Puzzle - Warner Bros./5th Cell - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/24/2013 - Rambo: The Video Game - FPS - Reef Entertainment/Teyon - $XX.XX
09/24/2013 - FIFA 14 - Sports - Electronic Arts/EA Canada - $39.99
09/27/2013 - Alien Rage - FPS - City Interactive/City Interactive - $XX.XX
09/27/2013 - Deadfall Adventures - FPS - Nordic Games/Farm 51 - $XX.XX
09/27/2013 - Rise of Venice - Simulation - Kalypso/Gaming Minds - $XX.XX

Games of October 2013

10/01/2013 - NBA 2K14 - Sports - 2K Games/Visual Concepts - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

10/03/2013 - F1 2013 - Racing - Codemasters/Codemasters - $XX.XX
10/22/2013 - Rocksmith 2014 - Music - Ubisoft/Ubisoft San Francisco - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

10/24/2013 - Raven's Cry - RPG - TopWare Interactive/Octane Games - $XX.XX
10/25/2013 - Batman: Arkham Origins - Action/Adventure - Warner Bros./Warner Bros. Games Montreal - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures - Platformer - Namco Bandai/Namco Bandai - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Battlefield 4 - FPS - Electronic Arts/Digital Illusions CE (DICE) - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Open World Action - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal - $XX.XX

Games of November 2013

11/05/2013 - Call of Duty: Ghosts - FPS - Activision/Infinity Ward - $59.99
11/19/2013 - Need for Speed Rivals - Racing - Electronic Arts/Ghost Games - $49.99
11/19/2013 - Watch_Dogs - Open World Action - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal - $XX.XX

Games of 2013

2013 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep - MMORPG - Warner Bros./Turbine - $XX.XX
2013 - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Platformer - SEGA/SEGA Studios Australia - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - Sports - Konami/Konami - $XX.XX
2013 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Action/Adventure - Warner Bros./TT Games - $XX.XX
2013 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - Survival horror - Frictional Games/thechineseroom - $XX.XX
2013 - Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! - Action/Adventure - D3Publisher/WayForward - $XX.XX
2013 - The Wolf Among Us - Adventure - Telltale Games/Telltale Games - $XX.XX
2013 - The Sims 3: Into the Future - Simulation - Electronic Arts/The Sims Studio - $XX.XX

Added Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows release date and price (still no Steam page)

well, bought it when the bundle launched, but now that i saw some reviews, i don't really want it anymore... and maybe if someone doesn't have SR3, they can get it in this bundle. Contains Sacred 2, Risen 2, Saints Row 2&3.
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deep Silver Humble Bundle -- MB-480659D361368053 - Taken by Deadbeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom