• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man Irrational didn't even get the basics of horde mode down. Checkpoints just take you back to the hub, not the start of a wave. And your progress through the waves isn't saved if you quit back to the hub. And there is no way to just start from a later wave.

I'm glad I didn't even bother finishing the main games achievements. Unless they patch in some changes, I'm never gonna play this DLC or bother with the achievements.

How is that looking for 2013? Didn't seem like it is popping up anytime soon last time I saw it.

This RPS article was the last I heard of it.

Says maybe Halloween this year, maybe.

Dev quote from article:
“We are optimizing, tweaking and in general putting the Frictional Games expertise to good use. TCR keeps putting in work as well. There are companies working on the translations (will launch with 9 languages in addition to original English). The porting guys are porting away. Deals are being made. Things are prepared for launching the game through more online stores than any other FG game before.”

“We know we will not make Q2, we also know when the game will be ready for launch. We have not set the exact day yet. You can however make good use of the weather outside this summer and look forward to gaming with the piggies as the summer comes to an end.”

Deadbeat

Banned
well, bought it when the bundle launched, but now that i saw some reviews, i don't really want it anymore... and maybe if someone doesn't have SR3, they can get it in this bundle. Contains Sacred 2, Risen 2, Saints Row 2&3.
Rockin, thanks. Gonna play Saints row 2 first.

I assume that I can play coop with the gentlemen of the row mod? Does anyone know?

I've waited so long for Spelunky. Avoided getting it on 360 and playing the free version because I was afraid of burnout. I want Steam to track the time I'm gonna put into this proper.

Tenrius

You're playing pretty loose with the term "non-consequential" here. Relative to what? Other games that deploy the choice mechanic? Choose your own adventure books? Did you literally feel that way every single time for every decision? Do you consider that to be the case when you chose characters that lived or died their way out of a story? Are you taking into account any of the logistical realities of more extreme plot derivations making their way into the story? Where do you draw the line for when an outcome is actually consequential? Is there an actual series or medium that you think employs any of this well?

Non-consequential relative to the story, of course. Even as the characters died or lived, it changed nothing about the story on the whole outside of some isolated instances.
You suddenly get to choose who lives in the first episode and it's cool. But then you discover that the character who survived dies in the third episode anyway, in a very non-meaningful way to boot, and the role of that person is the same in Episodes 2 and 3, no matter who that is. Or that time when you have to choose between saving Duck and saving the farmer's son. Duck can't die and you can't stay on the farm, you're forced to leave even if the son survives. Or multiple instances of characters asking for your opinion, which are made out to look important. Or with that Air Force woman who you can decide not to banish, but she leaves ANYWAY. Etc

And yes, I did feel that most of decisions were presented in a way meant to convey an air of importance to the player and to put them under some emotional pressure, which indeed felt the same way every single time and started to feel very cheap by the later episodes (not to mention that the purported importance was a lie).

I personally think that such superficial non-linearity is only harmful to the plot in the long run, especially in a game that relies so heavily on its story. It's true that achieving a decent level of divergency would be beyond logistical means of Telltale, but it shouldn't warrant such a cheap approach. The better option would be, in my opinion, having a conventional story as well diverting resources otherwise spent on "choices" to improving it. Even if you absolutely must have "choices", there still would be better ways to implement some particular instances of those (see spoiler above).

As for successful examples — I always thought that the Wing Commander series did a very good job of telling non-linear stories without reverting to cheap tricks, there also was Quest for Glory which did it right as well (kinda) although it was subtler. And, most recently, The Witcher 2 with its alternate chapters. Choose your own adventures books are also of course often excellent at this.

In the end, I think, it's about whether these non-linear elements bring something genuinely new to your personal experience — and they certainly didn't do it for me in The Walking Dead.

Has anyone played Teleglitch?

Finally tried the demo...and it's awesome. #1 on my Wishlist now. Love the art style and the distortion when you fire your weapon, the weapons sound and feel powerful, the tension is palpable

Last moments before I died (on level 1): being chased by a pack of...things, low on ammo, health flashing red, drop an explosive behind me, take out most of the pack, down to six rounds, trying to make each shot count. I make it, go through a door, get swarmed, panic to equip my one use rocket launcher...and miss the shot. I survived 13 minutes.

Used to hate difficulty games, now I love roguelikes (well modern ones)

Blizzard

Banned
I played four levels of Cannon Brawl seems promising. The sound effects and concept are good, and I suppose the lack of mouse control almost makes sense in that you actually have to fly an airship near your buildings to use them. One thing I like is that you get the Advance Wars style rankings, and if you don't get a medal for one of them, it seems to actually tell you how much you need so you can go back in and try to beat (for example) a specific time to get a medal.

However, they badly need a keyboard rebind option since I didn't want to use the spacebar. There appeared to be some slight anti-aliasing like with fonts too. =P

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I ever played online shooters I'd cash in on this rising storm pricing error (75% off when it's supposed to be 50% off) though I'd probably go for it anyway if I had a coupon to stack on.

edit: someone told me only people who have RO2 see 75% off

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If I ever played online shooters I'd cash in on this rising storm pricing error (75% off when it's supposed to be 50% off) though I'd probably go for it anyway if I had a coupon to stack on.

edit: someone told me only people who have RO2 see 75% off

Yeah folks who own RO2 get a discount on rising storm itself.

jediyoshi

Non-consequential relative to the story, of course. Even as the characters died or lived, it changed nothing about the story on the whole outside of some isolated instances.
You suddenly get to choose who lives in the first episode and it's cool. But then you discover that the character who survived dies in the third episode anyway, in a very non-meaningful way to boot, and the role of that person is the same in Episodes 2 and 3, no matter who that is. Or that time when you have to choose between saving Duck and saving the farmer's son. Duck can't die and you can't stay on the farm, you're forced to leave even if the son survives. Or multiple instances of characters asking for your opinion, which are made out to look important. Or with that Air Force woman who you can decide not to banish, but she leaves ANYWAY. Etc

So because you found these things out post playthrough of a game, they then retroactively took away from your existing experience of it? You sound more offended at the idea that the game is actively trying to pull one over on you, but the line between how functional a choice should ultimately be is purely from your own perspective. Unless the logical leaps taken at the story's diverging points following a choice seem contrived, the variations that do occur always seemed in line with what would've actually happened as opposed to something like Mass Effect 3's ending. A lot of this sounds predicated on otherwise disliking the existing story as is. Quality of story telling aside, I'd much rather them take the approach of giving some semblance of choice as opposed to them doing ending up with essentially another licensed adventure game.

Salsa

2E7CB3AB390C6CE461437F66747BF78D9B6F3161

im diggin my rider's look

Chavelo

Setting up a four-pack for Rise of the Triad before it unlocks (in 14 hours on my side). Send me a PM if you're interested. :D

Salsa

So every downloadable game should be the same price?

uhm, no, but I dont know what is it about a new from the ground up platformer costing $15 that warrants a "really capcom?" as if it was uncommon or didnt look deserving of that price.

It's a new game, made by a studio, it's not an expansion, yet it's not big enough to be a full fledged retail release, and it costs $15. This is common. Outside of Capcom also.

Wok

A friend asked me yesterday who this cute girl on JasceC's avatar is. He had seen it on my list of Steam friends. Ahaha!

Chavelo

The four man fellowship to get a Rise of the Triad 4-pack is underway! Right now I got two spots open. :D

1. Chavelo
2. mrgone
3. OPEN
4. OPEN

Send me a PM or add me thru steam (ID: Chavelo) if you want in. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just realized, JaseC is from AU, that means he pays alot more for games. What the hell does he do for a living? Why does he have prima guides?

I generally have somebody gift me the stuff I'm after if they're Aussie Taxed beyond a few bucks (items like DLC for Sega games I'll just buy at my end).

Edit: And the guides I just buy... to have, I suppose. I've never actually used one. ;) If Dark Souls had one, I'd probably give it a quick read.

Sarcasm

Has anyone played Teleglitch?

Finally tried the demo...and it's awesome. #1 on my Wishlist now. Love the art style and the distortion when you fire your weapon, the weapons sound and feel powerful, the tension is palpable

Last moments before I died (on level 1): being chased by a pack of...things, low on ammo, health flashing red, drop an explosive behind me, take out most of the pack, down to six rounds, trying to make each shot count. I make it, go through a door, get swarmed, panic to equip my one use rocket launcher...and miss the shot. I survived 13 minutes.

Used to hate difficulty games, now I love roguelikes (well modern ones)

Where can I find this demo?

Grief.exe

Man Irrational didn't even get the basics of horde mode down. Checkpoints just take you back to the hub, not the start of a wave. And your progress through the waves isn't saved if you quit back to the hub. And there is no way to just start from a later wave.

I'm glad I didn't even bother finishing the main games achievements. Unless they patch in some changes, I'm never gonna play this DLC or bother with the achievements.

So its even worse than we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom