• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Is there a way to remove SSF IV from my Steam account? As I explained earlier, my key just doesn't work anymore, but Steam won't let me buy again a game I already have. I wish I could buy the complete pack with costumes but Steam won't let me and Capcom doesn't seem interested in solving my problem with my key.

Not sure I understand the question but if the demo isn't avalaible on Steam you can still download it elsewhere.

Well for the purposes of trying a game I've never played before I don't particularly care if the demo is on Steam or not. However, for some games I'm intrigued by and have
used Google to find a download of a demo they are frequently no longer available. I just wondered if there was anyone on the internet that still had deprecated playable game demos.

You can press the Windows button on your keyboard, or you can press Tab and Shift together to bring up the Steam overlay, which has a browser.

So from not being able to do it at all I now have three different ways to do this. Thank you awesome people :).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For context: he posted the suggestion in question a few hours after Doritogate broke. He picked pretty much the worst day in the last decade to make that suggestion.

He likely would have been perma'd regardless as his thread made it abundantly clear that he hadn't read up on the rules, and the mods tend to have little sympathy for those who didn't bother to take 10 minutes to read the FAQ forum.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
With #1 and #6 on my wishlist confirmed for deals... the rest of the top 10 are unlikely to get a big discount. Maybe with the rest I'll opt for 2-3 larger purchases rather than prioritize for cheaper things that I want significantly less (and are older and likely to go on sale again after not-too-long)

Amazon Tony walked a fine line
A well-reasoned perspective. With any other product, a person being paid by a company to come in and tell us about deals on it would be considered spam, but because the forum is fundamentally about the love of videogames, it was met with acquiescence. Tony being a gamer and excited about the deals himself doesn't change the policy or the reasons it is in place. You can have your opinions, but it's obvious what kind of door it was opening and why he was banned.

Hawkie

Is there a way to remove SSF IV from my Steam account? As I explained earlier, my key just doesn't work anymore, but Steam won't let me buy again a game I already have. I wish I could buy the complete pack with costumes but Steam won't let me and Capcom doesn't seem interested in solving my problem with my key.

You'll need a Steam support ticket for that, I believe.

JaseC

Submit a ticket to Support (you'll need to create an account specifically for this purpose if you haven't already) and be sure to quote the following passage from the Subscriber Agreement:

B. Termination by You.

You may cancel your Account at any time. You may cease use of a Subscription at any time or, if you choose, you may request that we terminate your access to a Subscription. However, Subscriptions are not transferable, and even if your access to a Subscription for a particular game or application is terminated, the original activation key will not be able to be registered to any other account, even if the game or application was purchased in a retail store. Access to Subscriptions purchased as a part of a pack or bundle cannot be terminated individually, termination of access to one game within the bundle will result in termination of access to all games purchased in the pack will be removed from the account. Your cancellation of an Account, or your cessation of use of any Subscription or request that access to a Subscription be terminated, will not entitle you to any refund, including of any Subscription fees. Valve reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred prior to the cancellation of your Account or termination of your access to a particular Subscription. In addition, you are responsible for any charges incurred to third-party vendors or content providers before your cancellation.

You're unlikely to get a response in time to jump on the Daily, but it'll be 75% off again during the imminent Summer Sale.

PhaZZe

Banned

maybe you can create another account and buy in that account, extract CD key, enjoy!

How is Edge of Space? Popped up on my front sales page on Steam and i watched a few videos on YT and it looks interesting, like Terraria in space. Worth $12?

It's okay, it's not great though. Its got this quite interesting mechanic where like materials you mine have properties like stone has the 'raw', 'mineral' and 'hard' property and all the crafting recipes use the properties rather then the base materials allowed you to freeform the crafting system in a fairly cool way. Although the base movement and combat mechanics feels a little floaty and imprecise. It's fun to play about with, but in its current state it isn't a scratch on Terraria and isn't worth $12 unless you really enjoy digging round with alphas.

JaseC

At this point it looks as though Nuuvem's deals are going to expire before people are again able to actually purchase them. Serves me right for not jumping on Gunslinger sooner, I suppose.

At this point it looks as though Nuuvem's deals are going to expire before people are again able to actually purchase them. Serves me right for not jumping on Gunslinger sooner, I suppose.

I had no problem checking out right now (literally 30 seconds ago) with Risen 2. Was my first purchase on Nuuvem and way easier than I thought! Didn't even need a fake address or anything.

EDIT: "No problem" meaning I had to refresh a few times to get on their site, but once that was done, the checkout went without problems.

JaseC

I had no problem checking out right now (literally 30 seconds ago) with Risen 2. Was my first purchase on Nuuvem and way easier than I thought! Didn't even need a fake address or anything.

Strange, I get this message after clicking through PayPal:

Por conta do grande número de acessos, a Nuuvem está sobrecarregada no momento... Estamos trabalhando para voltar ao ar em breve!

Which translates to (via Google):

Because of the large number of accesses, Nuuvem is overloaded at the moment ... We are working to return to the air soon!

I've been trying to purchase the game every now and again over the past five hours: payment never goes through.

Divius

I still have no idea what this card business is, but I just put up a couple for sale.

What do people do with these cards?

I still have no idea what this card business is, but I just put up a couple for sale.

Level up, get nice profil bg and sales coupons :)

Btw, I've several steam coupon I'd like to give away, could someone redirect me toward the correct GAF topic for that, please ?

JaseC

Complete sets to craft badges. Crafting a badge rewards you with a profile background, emoticon (both related to the game in question) and a random discount coupon that's generally valid for two weeks; also, you're rewarded with 100 XP, and each "level up" nets you five additional friend list slots.

Edit: Beaten.

sibarraz

Banned
Amazon Tony walked a fine line: we tolerated him literally advertising to us because he got us decent-to-great deals from his employer. Some people don't mind that, which is fine, but it isn't even a debate that Tony received compensation by one of the largest companies on the internet to directly advertise on this forum, explicitly ignoring the terms of service of the site.

Whether you have a problem with that is an opinion you can have.

Tony was basically ignored until that post JaseC linked. In that thread, Tony wanted to cross that line completely and have companies compensate posters here for the already much-maligned practice of mega OTs (which, at the time, were already feeling pretty suspect). He wanted to extend his uncomfortable, silent truce across the entire forum, allowing companies to bypass the intentionally limited advertisement spaces available here.

Whether he should have been perma-banned for suggesting such a deal is an opinion you can have. But the moderation decided that Tony had pushed too far and the quiet compromise that he'd be afforded was revoked.

Thanks for the explanation

Everyday I feel that it will be better if I just ignore completely the industry and just play the games

JaseC

Level up, get nice profil bg and sales coupons :)

Btw, I've several steam coupon I'd like to give away, could someone redirect me toward the correct GAF topic for that, please ?

There's a Steam trading thread, but as this thread is by far the most popular Steam-related one, you just post here. Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother (assuming they're coupons obtained via badge crafting) as the coupon pool at present is very limited so anybody who has crafted more than a few badges has at least one dupe.

Edit: Oh, and of course the Summer Sale is around the corner, plus coupons by default don't stack with an existing discount.

There's a Steam trading thread, but as this thread is by far the most popular Steam-related one, you just post here. Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother (assuming they're coupons obtained via badge crafting) as the coupon pool at present is very limited so anybody who has crafted more than a few badges has at least one dupe.

Thanks !
And you are probably right about dupes (none of the coupons I got interest me), but you never know, they may interest someone else and I dislike wasting ^^

So I have a Krater --50%, God Mode -25%, Dawn of fantasy -33% and Euro Truck Sim 2 -50%. Any taker ?

JaseC

Hm, can I get the DLC as well that way? If so, I think I'll do it.

Alternatively, you could buy the game and DLC now, as a gift, and leave them in your inventory until Support removes the game from your account. (I don't know why this didn't come to mind before. :p)

Gbraga

Thank you guys for your help, I feel like an idiot for buying the same game again (for the 8th time if you count all the versions) but I really want to play it.

Bumhead

Banned
Bought Street Fighter. One of those perfect little moments where a game hits £3.75 just as I have an itch for a certain game or genre.

JaseC

Apparently my most recent attempt at purchasing Gunslinger was successful, despite Nuuvem's "server overload" message. Huzzah!

la_briola

SSF4AE UK pricing:

1 copy: £3.74
4 copies: £16.99 (£2.03 more expensive)

Complete Costume DLC pack: £2.74
Complete Pack: £7.49 (£1.01 more expensive)

u wot m8?[...]

Yeah, its also weird in Germany.
10.99€ for the complete pack, but if you purchase the game and DLC separately its 8.48€. wat.

v0rtikal

Yes. It's probably not going to get any cheaper than that until AE 2013 releases. My question is I bought AE off Amazon a few years ago and it's the Steam-less version. Is there any way I can buy the costumes for cheap off Steam so I can use them on the Amazon version?

The answer is no.

Grief.exe

All you fighting game fans should save your money for Mortal Kombat and the eventual release of KOFXIII.

Nah, a little ol' Vertex 2. I've been meaning to replace it for some time now as 60GB stopped being sufficient long ago.

I would recommend staying away from OCZ in the future if your SSD has kicked the bucket.

The vertex 2 has significant reliability problems, the Vertex 3 did as well, and they weren't very good about honoring warranties.

There are plenty of other companies more deserving of your money. I try to steer people away from OCZ, and bad audio products as well :)

If I have to reinstall Windows, I might take this opportunity to give 8 a try.

Give Windows 8 a try.

It took me a while to figure out the on and outs of the system.
Its not exactly intuitive in a lot of ways, but, especially after you figure out the quirks, it ends up being quite speedy.

Wok

7 Grand Steps will get Steam Trading cards.
[tweet]http://twitter.com/Musenik/status/351411036584284161[/tweet]

v0rtikal

If you like to play with people offline AND online, get SSFIV AE. Don't expect miracles for Mortal Kombat I'm warning you... Boon lied about how "hard" they were working on the netcode, it's just unplayable.

JaseC

I would recommend staying away from OCZ in the future if your SSD has kicked the bucket.

It hasn't (it's listed in the BIOS); my Win7 installation just banged its head on something.

I wasn't aware of OCZ's reputation when I purchased the SSD over a year more than two years ago (if memory serves it was the cheapest available at the time), and although I've only had one serious issue with the drive (the firmware randomly and suddenly became corrupt), I have read many negative opinions regarding the Vertex 3, so I'll definitely be choosing a different brand for my 120GB/128GB replacement. (As I have a spare 2.5" drive bay, I'll keep the 60GB SSD installed for games.)

Give Windows 8 a try.

It took me a while to figure out the on and outs of the system.
Its not exactly intuitive in a lot of ways, but, especially after you figure out the quirks, it ends up being quite speedy.

Yeah, I plan to give Win8 a shot when I get around to buying the aforementioned second SSD.

Edit: I'll also have to remember to make a backup image of my Win8 installation once everything is in order. I've been meaning to do this the past few times I've reinstalled Win7, but simply kept forgetting to do so, haha.

So with the steam sale not happening at all this year, it's maybe time to ask this before the christmas sale kicks off.

I have these 3 games on my wishlist: fallen enchantress, eador and warlock.

They all 3 have quite some similarities, so I'd like to ask if anyone has played 2 (or all 3) of these and can give me a quick pro/con about them. Or what the main differences are.

Thanks for the help!

I'll end up buying them all

denx

So with the steam sale not happening at all this year,

Not sure if serious.

EDIT: The sale will start later this year, probably by mid-July.

Also, my will is weak. Can't resist buying SFIV even though i need another controller to play it properly with friends. Agh...

denx

That part was obviously a joke lol >.>

Hard to tell. I've seen some people genuinely believe that there won't be a summer sale this year. :/

About SFIV, how are keyboard controls in that game. Is it possible for one person to be playing on keyboard and another on a controller locally?

Also, what controller would you suggest to play fighting games on PC?

Hard to tell. I've seen some people genuinely believe that there won't be a summer sale this year. :/

About SFIV, how are keyboard controls in that game. Is it possible for one person to be playing on keyboard and another on a controller locally?

Keyboard controls are top notch.

ASDF for top row attacks
ZXCV for bottom row
Arrow keys to move. It's lovely.

And you can do local 2 player that way, yeah. A buddy of mine uses one of these as his control stick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M241KU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But I think a lot of fight sticks work. A regular 360 pad would work too, I suppose, unless you're big into DPad controls.

Jzero

Unless you want carpal tunnel i wouldn't use the keyboard to play SFIV.

denx

Keyboard controls are top notch.

ASDF for top row attacks
ZXCV for bottom row
Arrow keys to move. It's lovely.

And you can do local 2 player that way, yeah. A buddy of mine uses one of these as his control stick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M241KU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But I think a lot of fight sticks work. A regular 360 pad would work too, I suppose, unless you're big into DPad controls.

I can do playing fighting games with a stick, but I'm more of a D-Pad person. So any suggestion for a PC controller with a decent D-Pad is welcomed.

Good to know it is possible to play SFIV locally with a keyboard and a controller. That'll have to do until I buy a new controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom