• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Rise of the Triad is getting some Apogee Throwback Pack with pre-order, probably already mentioned before

http://steamdb.info/sub/28738/
I don't like RotT, but I love Apogee. What should I do?

Ah, nice. There's also a separate sub for the pack, so at worst we'll just have another Worms Armageddon situation.
I know now: wait for this. If I can't buy this on its own, then the only way forward is putting a bullet in my skull, 'cause there's no reason to live without Hocus Pocus and Wacky Wheels on my Steam account.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Win7 BSOD'd on me just before and now I'm getting a "Windows cannot boot because a required device cannot be detected" (paraphrased) error. If my SSD has kicked the bucket, I'm going to be so annoyed.

If I have to reinstall Windows, I might take this opportunity to give 8 a try.
Are you GAF browsing from a different PC/device right now? It would suck big time if your SSD is broken.

In my case it showed me a "Driver IRQ not less or equal" message. Could it have something to do with some drivers? I don't remember well, but the previous times I was suffering BSoDs it was due to a damaged RAM module and overheating, respectively.

Zeknurn

Win7 BSOD'd on me just before and now I'm getting a "Windows cannot boot because a required device cannot be detected" (paraphrased) error. If my SSD has kicked the bucket, I'm going to be so annoyed.

Crucial m4 SSD? If so you need to update the firmware. They had a problem where after X amount of hours they would stop working.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you GAF browsing from a different PC/device right now? It would suck big time if your SSD is broken.

I'm on my laptop. When I couldn't access my PC via Remote Desktop I got up to see what the problem was and saw the error message. Then I shut off my PC and went back to bed as it's midnight here and so searching high and low for my Win7 disc is a job for Future Jase.

In my case it showed me a "Driver IRQ not less or equal" message. Could it have something to do with some drivers? I don't remember well, but the previous times I was suffering BSoDs it was due to a damaged RAM module and overheating, respectively.

You may have installed drivers that weren't intended for use with Win7.

JaseC

Crucial m4 SSD? If so you need to update the firmware. They had a problem where after X amount of hours they would stop working.

Nah, a little ol' Vertex 2. I've been meaning to replace it for some time now as 60GB stopped being sufficient long ago.

Is the Steam Market broken for anyone else?

Yeah, listings have been down for at least an hour or so now.

Go for it. W8 is great.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's like an RTS where most of the players are the fodder units while one person plays as the commander who can place buildings and direct everyone else. The two sides have very different mechanics, like Terran vs Zerg in Starcraft.

Chivalry is a game where you chop heads off dudes with a giant sword while screaming like a maniac. It's like trying to compare Super Smash Brothers to DotA.

So it's like Nuclear Dawn?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on my laptop. When I couldn't access my PC via Remote Desktop I got up to see what the problem was and saw the error message. Then I shut off my PC and went back to bed as it's midnight here and so searching high and low for my Win7 disc is a job for Future Jase.

You may have installed drivers that weren't intended for use with Win7.
Reading "Future Jase" made me laugh. You're already on the future, man!

The weird thing is that I haven't installed any driver in a long time. More specifically, the last time I updated one was when Hitman Absolution came out and I was forced to update the video drivers to make it run. So I don't understand why they would start malfunctioning now and not earlier.

smr00

Banned
How is Edge of Space? Popped up on my front sales page on Steam and i watched a few videos on YT and it looks interesting, like Terraria in space. Worth $12?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If the throwback pack is decent and there's a discount, I may pre-order RotT. I dug Hard Reset and liked what I've seen of the new RotT.

ROTT Twitter teased a 4 pack deal in the past, so it's probably gonna be cheaper already based on a 4 pack sale

SF4 deal is pretty tempting. 4 pack would make it like $5.60 each about

DirtRiver

Awh yeah, a Street Fighter game for cheap. Been waiting for it to happen for a while, now I can finally enter the crazy world of fighting games.

Summer redeemed.

JaseC

I decided to check and, fortunately, it's showing up in the BIOS, so I can breath a sigh of relief.

Go for it. W8 is great.

With any luck I shouldn't need to: apparently the compatibility error I received when attempting to repair the installation using my Win7 disc can be fixed by either disabling all my secondary HDDs in the BIOS or, more likely, using the recovery disc I made on my laptop (which has SP1 installed; my Win7 disc is a regular one). I'll get around to using Win8 eventually, though, as I plan to purchase a larger SSD sooner rather than later.

sibarraz

Banned
Such a stupid reason to ban him too, but I understand why given the shit going down at the time.

Could somebody explain me what happened there

Allso, my 2 problems with ACIII at that price, is that I know that after black flag, the game will be at 5 dollars in some sale, plus, I don't know if my pc could run the game

If I recall he posted that thread about giving posters who wished to create game OT's access to developers and publishers. This was at the same time the Doritos debacle had begun to surface, making the timing incredibly poor as the forum was in a bit of uproar over gaming journalists being subtly influenced by publishers. As stated above it was against the rule regardless, but given the context he was always going to get a permanent ban.

Yaska

What's the verdict on SSF4:AE on PC? Should I bite it at that price? I play fighting games quite often, and was thinking of getting one to play with friends.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864971765355670124/

We're definitely through the looking glass, and there's no coming back now.
Truth be told, I do like the achievements...
I can do witout them, though.

Never experienced any problems with GFWL so i'm not as anti- about it as many, but knowing there are so many people whom experience a shitload of problems with it... Eh.
Playing GFWL games on Steam feels kinda silly. Like a triple onion cheeseburger. I already have an onion overlay, why do I need another one?

Wynnebeck

Banned
What's the verdict on SSF4:AE on PC? Should I bite it at that price? I play fighting games quite often, and was thinking of getting one to play with friends.

Yes. It's probably not going to get any cheaper than that until AE 2013 releases. My question is I bought AE off Amazon a few years ago and it's the Steam-less version. Is there any way I can buy the costumes for cheap off Steam so I can use them on the Amazon version?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Amazon Tony walked a fine line: we tolerated him literally advertising to us because he got us decent-to-great deals from his employer. Some people don't mind that, which is fine, but it isn't even a debate that Tony received compensation by one of the largest companies on the internet to directly advertise on this forum, explicitly ignoring the terms of service of the site.

Whether you have a problem with that is an opinion you can have.

Tony was basically ignored until that post JaseC linked. In that thread, Tony wanted to cross that line completely and have companies compensate posters here for the already much-maligned practice of mega OTs (which, at the time, were already feeling pretty suspect). He wanted to extend his uncomfortable, silent truce across the entire forum, allowing companies to bypass the intentionally limited advertisement spaces available here.

Whether he should have been perma-banned for suggesting such a deal is an opinion you can have. But the moderation decided that Tony had pushed too far and the quiet compromise that he'd be afforded was revoked.

As a newcomer to pc gaming and Steam I have a couple of noobish questions if you good people would be so kind:

1. When I am playing a game in Steam how do I minimise the Steam client so I can access my brower, for example?
  2. Is there any way I can play demos of old[er] games that no longer have a demo available?

Wok

1. When I am playing a game in Steam how do I minimise the Steam client so I can access my brower, for example?

You could Alt+Tab (edit: or the Windows button if your browser is closed) or just use the Steam overlay which has a browser.

By the way, nice to meet you, dear fellow cat.

SSF4AE UK pricing:

1 copy: £3.74
4 copies: £16.99 (£2.03 more expensive)

Complete Costume DLC pack: £2.74
Complete Pack: £7.49 (£1.01 more expensive)

u wot m8?

Amazon Tony walked a fine line: we tolerated him literally advertising to us because he got us decent-to-great deals from his employer. Some people don't mind that, which is fine, but it isn't even a debate that Tony received compensation by one of the largest companies on the internet to directly advertise on this forum, explicitly ignoring the terms of service of the site.

Tony was basically ignored until that post JaseC linked. In that thread, Tony wanted to cross that line completely and have companies compensate posters here for the already much-maligned practice of mega OTs (which, at the time, were already feeling pretty suspect). He wanted to extend his uncomfortable, silent truce across the entire forum, allowing companies to bypass the intentionally limited advertisement spaces available here.

Whether he should have been perma-banned for suggesting such a deal is an opinion you can have. But the moderation decided that Tony had pushed too far and the quiet compromise that he'd be afforded was revoked.

For context: he posted the suggestion in question a few hours after Doritogate broke. He picked pretty much the worst day in the last decade to make that suggestion.

JordanKZ

1. Just use the Steam overlay. Shift + Tab. You can use a quick browser from there as well as access other features.

Is there any way I can play demos of old[er] games that no longer have a demo available?

I'm afraid not! :( You could look online for links though.

I arrived in a forest in Scribblenauts. There was a lumberjack looking for an axe so that he can cut down a tree and a hippy protecting it.
Gave the lumberjack an axe, added the adjective "steel" to the tree. Everyone walks out happy.

Is there any way I can play demos of old[er] games that no longer have a demo available?

Not sure I understand the question but if the demo isn't avalaible on Steam you can still download it elsewhere.

Thanks for that. I've seen a number of people asking why he went, but that post is by far the most succinct explanation I've read. For what it's worth (not much, let's be honest), I totally agree with why he was banned after reading that as it fills in a few blanks I couldn't quite work out from the thread JaseC linked to.

For context: he posted the suggestion in question a few hours after Doritogate broke. He picked pretty much the worst day in the last decade to make that suggestion.

Ha, oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom