• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

catabarez

I remember sending you an invite, and you already were apart of the group when I looked tonight.

Awww ya

Has some pretty nasty mouse acceleration that you can't get rid of. PC Gaming Wiki fix only works for Halo CE.

Got ya

I just use my controller :p less of a hassle.

Is the game even showing up in anyones game list after using the key? I didn't try to install the game after using the key and the game is no where in my games list.

Edit: Nvm I see some have already said it's not showing up in their games lists. Such a wierd release not even being on Steam yet we have keys for it.

Yeah, super weird.

It doesn't even exist according to my steam window. Like, you can't search for it on the store.

:S

Thieve

Neo Member
Many thanks Grief.

Also guys, I'm looking at Amnesia on amazon for $2.99. Do they give you a code for steam or is it some Amazon DRM?

I don't think so, usually it'll state "DRM: Steam", and below the comments section someone replied that it doesn't.

Caerith

What's the story behind Baldur's Gate: EE? With so many people asking if it's any good or if the original version is better, and with all these rumors that it might get pulled, I'm trying to recall why I never added it to my wishlist in the first place.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Atone not condemn.

The game may not be particularly good (I think I played the demo way back when, actually), but Acti refuses to discount the bloody thing by 25% and it's never appeared as a Community's Choice candidate. :( Acti forgetting about a game it owns isn't surprising, though. ;) (See: NOLF.)

C'mon Jase, he probably said that as a joke. Nobody thinks you're a joke character :(

You are very helpful indeed, and a great contributor in this thread. And I'm being honest.

Guys, we need to give poor Jase a group hug, I think he's feeling sad.
no shit. He is doing work
Aw heck JaseC, I was only joking, mate.

Look, I have a loli avatar. I'm in no position.

Don't let anyone keep you down for having a waifu, Jase. At this point I couldn't, nay, refuse to see you with another kind of avatar.
JaseC is a cool guy. He posts a lot and don't afraid of anything.

<3

Didn't see an update on the Nuuvem deals, so here they (the Steam redeemable ones) are if anyone is interested:

Prices may vary a little with exchange rates.

Cheers, I bought (well, will buy) War of the Roses. I have the game already but the DDE (which isn't available for purchase on Steam itself, oddly) comes with some DLC that isn't available separately.

I wish MK had a pre-order with TF2 items

mortal kombat items would be rad

I'm surprised it didn't and would have pre-ordered the game if it had.

Grief.exe

If you guys don't like your Steam games being out of order, you could just make a physical backup. Get a bunch of DVD cases, print custom box art for front/side/backs, one for each game in your library. Organize however you want, then when you want to pick out a game, just walk to your bookcase, browse, select, and then find it on Steam and launch!

I'm actually thinking of doing something like this, call me crazy but I think its awesome having a full game collection with all of my favorites.

I'm actually going to Staples tomorrow morning and printing out some covers for my SNES cases.

aEfdSzJ.jpg

Got an invite literally seconds after posting, haha.

I am massively mistaken then lol

Many thanks Grief.

Also guys, I'm looking at Amnesia on amazon for $2.99. Do they give you a code for steam or is it some Amazon DRM?

Amnesia isn't Steamworks

and NP

No excuses.

I'm with Grief on this one. Sleep can wait, Gray Death and UNATCO can't.

Ruthless! :(

Since you are so new you probably don't know the golden rule: Wait for the daily deals.

In a Steam sale for Summer/Autumn/Christmas, they often have a sale price on loads of games that is quite good (say 50% off) that lasts the entire sale, but then for one day of the sale a game will get a daily deal where it is even better (75% off but can even be 90% off) so it is best to wait and look for daily deals on the games you want, and then on the last day of the sale buy whatever is left if not all of them got a daily deal.

I am new to Steam too so thanks for the heads up! :)

metalshade

If you guys don't like your Steam games being out of order, you could just make a physical backup. Get a bunch of DVD cases, print custom box art for front/side/backs, one for each game in your library. Organize however you want, then when you want to pick out a game, just walk to your bookcase, browse, select, and then find it on Steam and launch!

Let me know if you have any other problems that need solving!

Neat idea, and it would be SO good seeing my entire collection displayed like that.
But we don't have the room, and my wife would definitely have something to say!

Deques

How are the Sniper Elite v2 dlcs? Seeing as they are now discounted in GMG

edit: nvm, looks like they removed the credit bonus

Goody

Thanks for the heads-up. This is why I always buy an indie bundle that has at least a couple of Greenlight games.

I need to remind myself of this next time a bundle like that goes up. I'm kicking myself for not picking that one up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can someone please give me and Salsa Shark the verdict on Baldurs Gate EE? I was told to skip the first one a long time ago, but I'm wondering if the EE fixes the stuff that was bad, and I should get that, THEN play BG2?

I realize that BG2 explains the story from BG1 so it's not 100% necessary to play both.

Also, where is FTL only 2.50??

Goody

Can someone please give me and Salsa Shark the verdict on Baldurs Gate EE? I was told to skip the first one a long time ago, but I'm wondering if the EE fixes the stuff that was bad, and I should get that, THEN play BG2?

I realize that BG2 explains the story from BG1 so it's not 100% necessary to play both.

Also, where is FTL only 2.50??

No idea about Baldur's Gate, but here's FTL.

Deques

Looks like Double Fine's Broken Age is going to be released first half in 2014. And that's going to be half of the game. The other half is going to be released in the following year. The game will be released as Steam early access.
That means that Double Fine is seeking more funding to the game. 3.3 million dollar seemed not to be enough for them to make the game

Source

derFeef

Looks like Double Fine's Broken Age is going to be released first half in 2014. And that's going to be half of the game. The other half is going to be released in the following year. The game will be released as Steam early access.
That means that Double Fine is seeking more funding to the game. 3.3 million dollar seemed not to be enough for them to make the game

Source

Ugh.... They soured me hard on Kickstarter.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looks like a steam key was added for Bleed in the Groupees Retro Bundle.
This post let me know about the game. It looks swag as hell.

Ugh.... They soured me hard on Kickstarter.
Eh, hard to tell. You just have to look at the scope of the project and what they have going. Chivalry was a kickstarter, and a few good sprite-based games. For these kind of focused projects it's good, but I think people really underestimate how much really polished, cinematic production adds to the cost.

I have been advised to have a different Steam log in ID to my Steam username as a security measure.

I've just gone into Steam and can't get my head around it though :/.

Herp derp.

Can someone give me the idiot's guide to doing this please?

KarmaCow

I have been advised to have a different Steam log in ID to my Steam username as a security measure.

Herp derp.

Not sure if this only in Pixelvision but going to Settings->Friends should bring you to the page to change your profile name.

If you customized your profile url, you might want to change that too.

Milamber

Herp derp.

Log in to you Steam account > View your Profile > Edit Profile > Change your profile name and, if you want, your custom URL > Save

JaseC

You can also click the "Friends" menu in the client and select "Change profile name".

Ok here is some tips.

You have two real options. BGEE on steam or BG1 off GoG. Being on steam is obviously a great thing, but the GoG version is frequently (but not currently) cheaper. That version plus mods gives you everything the BGEE addition has except for a few extra party members which are not worth worrying about. The only other new content is a pretty ho-hum arena mode so all of the "problems" with the old game still persist and nothing has really changed.

As such there really isn't any good reason to buy the extended edition unless you just want a steam copy.

Now as to if it is worth playing? The reality is it isn't that great of a RPG. In context though, that is comparing it to games like BG2 or Planescape or Icewind Dale. It is still well worth the time playing it. The issues are:

* You are low level, so you don't really have many battle options and you are fighting things like docile looking lady bugs for most of the game.
* There really isn't much of a story going on, it is just building things up.
* Despite the lack of combat options, the game is still combat heavy which can make it a real grind at times.
* Traditionally, the engine was missing some niceties of the BG2 version. However the EE and/or mods takes care of this.

If you have time, you should play it. Why? Because it will make your BG2 playthrough, which is still one of my favourite games of all time even better. You will also understand what is going on with the battle systems and classes, which can be daunting when thrown in at level 7-8 in the sequel. There is not a lot of hand holding to be found here, although you can read encyclopedias worth of help on the net.

However if you don't have a slice of your life to devote to it, you will quickly pick up what is happening in BG2 so it isn't strictly required, just a nice idea. At the start of that game things are pretty simple and besides not knowing or perhaps caring who the different starting party members hanging around are (and inappropriately hoping you will
get lucky with Imoen at some point
), you'll more than get by.

My recommendation? Wait for a GoG sale (they often put up all the D&D games in a package) and grab them all there. If and when BG2EE comes out? (and that looks unclear at this point) you can then convert to steam during a sale if desired.

Not sure if this only in Pixelvision but going to Settings->Friends should bring you to the page to change your profile name.

If you customized your profile url, you might want to change that too.

Yes, thanks but I don't understood the distinction between the two. When I log in to Steam it asks me for my Steam Account Name. What's the difference between that and my profile name?

Sorry, it's probably stupidly easy but I'm sleep deprived :/.

KarmaCow

Yes, thanks but I don't understood the distinction between the two. When I log in to Steam it asks me for my Steam Account Name. What's the difference between that and my profile name?

Sorry, it's probably stupidly easy but I'm sleep deprived :/.

Your profile name is just what other people see and your account name is just what Steam/Valve sees. I don't think you can change your account name.

The problem is that there is an exploit where someone can add Russian currency into your Steam Wallet which might get it auto flagged for suspension. The person doesn't need your password to do this, just your account name so they can simply guess to harass people.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Source
I love adventure games and Tim Schafer, but this just...
Ugh.

Develepment is hell.
I'm afraid this is going to backfireand the ugly side of Kickstarting will show it's face.

JaseC

Your profile name is just what other people see and your account name is just what Steam/Valve sees. I don't think you can change your account name.

The problem is that there is an exploit where someone can add Russian currency into your Steam Wallet which might get it auto flagged for suspension. The person doesn't need your password to do this, just your account name so they can simple guess to harass people.

Correct. Unless you work at Valve, I suppose. ;)

The problem is that there is an exploit where someone can add Russian currency into your Steam Wallet which might get it auto flagged for suspension. The person doesn't need your password to do this, just your account name so they can simply guess to harass people.

I see, thanks.

So I need to change my profile name so it's not the same as my account name then.

Hm, not a good time for inspiration to elude me! :)

Old gamer username it is then!

Thanks KC and the other kind GAFers who replied above.

Dr Dogg

The game may not be particularly good (I think I played the demo way back when, actually), but Acti refuses to discount the bloody thing by 25% and it's never appeared as a Community's Choice candidate. :( Acti forgetting about a game it owns isn't surprising, though. ;) (See: NOLF.)

Well look at Vampire: The Masquerade. Took donkey's years to ever get a reduction and when it eventually did it couldn't stop going on sale. It's a sad state of affairs where I'm waiting for Darkest of Days to go back on sale again. Though chances of that are slim to none. Though Amalur did so who knows.
I couldn't wait and bought the complete pack at £39.99. I regret nothing!

Grief.exe

I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and picking up Advent Rising.

Majesco could go under any day and who knows what will happen.

JaseC

Well looks at Vampire: The Masquerade. Took donkey's years to ever get a reduction and when it eventually did it couldn't stop going on sale. It's a sad state of affairs where I'm waiting for Darkest of Days to go back on sale again. Though chances of that are slim to none. Though Amalur did so who knows.
I Couldn't wait and bought the complete pack at £39.99. I regret nothing!

Vampire going on sale was hilarious. This thread had gone up just as the Summer Sale started, and since the game hadn't been discounted before at all, people were purchasing it throughout the sale period at 33% off. 2 weeks after the Summer Sale ended, it was 75% off.

Grief.exe

Vampire going on sale was hilarious. This thread had gone up just as the Summer Sale started, and since the game hadn't been discounted before at all, people were purchasing it throughout the sale period at 33% off. 2 weeks after the Summer Sale ended, it was 75% off.

I got it during the 75% off deal. I just passed right over it at 33% off lol.

Its funny, because considering my tastes, you would think I would really enjoy that game.

The truth is, I actually didn't very much. Especially the last 30-40% which was obviously rushed and they just threw in a bunch of combat segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom