• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I remember when I was selling cards on the first couple days for like $3 each and people were telling me not to because the drops were limited and the prices were only gonna go up

lol

made $25 with like 3 games

zkylon

zkylewd
I remember when I was selling cards on the first couple days for like $3 each and people were telling me not to because the drops were limited and the prices were only gonna go up

lol

made $25 with like 3 games

you sick bastard

I made 40 bucks

Salsa

Yeah it started to go down day by day but overall i'd say I made like $60 or so with this whole thing. It certainly softens the blow of me not really liking the card direction.

here's the crazy part tho: I flipped it for paypal money and bought some 3DS games

PSYCHE

I've found the best time to sell the cards is to firstly wait a day or two for the initial rush to calm down and then selling in the time between when America goes to sleep and Europe wakes up. So late Australian afternoon.

Gone are the days of $1+ standard cards, though it will be interesting if/when a $60 launches with cards day one, the prices there will be interesting.

Ezalc

Yeah it started to go down day by day but overall i'd say I made like $60 or so with this whole thing. It certainly softens the blow of me not really liking the card direction.

here's the crazy part tho: I flipped it for paypal money and bought some 3DS games

PSYCHE

Wait seriously? Or is that psyche real? I'm actually trying to do something like this.

Cth

Here's a question..

(apologies in advance for the conspiracy theory :D)

Do you think there's any chance Valve has taken the money they've made so far with card sales and quietly bought up some of the lower priced market in advance of the Summer Sale?

The popular theory is that Steam is going to do something akin to the Crafting Coal metagame with cards. In order not to penalize those who crafted or participated in the beta earlier, there's bound to be something tied into XP levels. (Just a theory: Higher XP = Greater chance of crafting a game instead of a coupon)

Let's say they make 3 cents on every card on average. As the race for the bottom continues, Steam makes less off of each card. So, they "reinvest" the money to manually adjust some of the lower markets (TF2, etc) People end up trading and holding onto cards to craft more, selling at a higher price, which nabs them even more of a cut during the Summer Sale.

Not every market needs "adjustment", but in order for the sale/crafting thing to work, do you think it's necessary for Valve to alter the market in advance. Out of 50 card markets, let's say only 10 need adjustment. Take those 3 cents made for each trade in the other 40 markets and they could reinvest it to change those 10 markets to something more suitable to the summer event metagame.

Yes, waiting for the sale has broken my brain :D Thanks for reading this far.

So HVS didn't screw up the MK port? Now I'm starting to wish Konami would let them port ZOE over.

From what I've read, there seems to be a problem with inviting friends into private matches (sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't). The problem is when you hit the key to bring up your friends list it sometimes locks up. You can circumvent this by creating the match then having your friend go into their friends list and join the game from that.

There is also no way to put it in windowed mode as of right now.

The videos for the story mode cutscenes were poorly compressed, it looks bad.

I'm also still weary of the netcode. Some matches are great but some are practically a slideshow (or just desync at the character select screen) just like console MK9 :/

Salsa

Wait seriously? Or is that psyche real? I'm actually trying to do something like this.

just offer to buy something for someone who was about to get a game in particular and have them send the money to you through paypal and you gifting them the game (with your steam credit) rather than doing a direct buy

Dmax3901

Anyone else getting updates for a whole bunch of games all of a sudden? Killing Floor, Trine 2, Anomaly, 1 2 3 Kick It and even Bioshock Infinite.

Ezalc

just offer to buy something for someone who was about to get a game in particular and have them send the money to you through paypal and you gifting them the game rather than doing a direct buy

And now I will sell all possible trading cards I have so I can try to do this. I don't think I'll get all that much money but it's better than nothing.

Question, how much is Don't Starve on the american steam store?

Here's a question..

Not every market needs "adjustment", but in order for the sale/crafting thing to work, do you think it's necessary for Valve to alter the market in advance. Out of 50 card markets, let's say only 10 need adjustment. Take those 3 cents made for each trade in the other 40 markets and they could reinvest it to change those 10 markets to something more suitable to the summer event metagame.

I think that's possible (I would do that, but well... I'm just an speculator) but I doubt Valve is doing that. Instead, I see more possible that Valve has been speaking with Humble Bundle and Indie Royale to not include games with trading cards in their bundles during the sale. You know, to avoid the coal thing from the last meta-game.

Hanzou

Um, anybody else notice that Endless Space is $9.89 right now. It's not showing as a sale price and the .89 is weird. You can also get the bundle of the $10 DLC that just came out last week for about $1.75.

derExperte

And I sold mine for like .49 Oh noes!

If only I had waited hehe

I just reduced the price of a card from 1.49 to 0.99 and there were still four or five cheaper than me. Five minutes later someone sweeps in and buys every card under 1.50. Strange times we're living in.

Twentieth

Anyone else getting updates for a whole bunch of games all of a sudden? Killing Floor, Trine 2, Anomaly, 1 2 3 Kick It and even Bioshock Infinite.

8 games I have installed were updated today. I log in daily, so these are new updates. Wonder if this is just some sort of weird coincidence.

Grief.exe

Here's a question..

(apologies in advance for the conspiracy theory :D)

Do you think there's any chance Valve has taken the money they've made so far with card sales and quietly bought up some of the lower priced market in advance of the Summer Sale?

The popular theory is that Steam is going to do something akin to the Crafting Coal metagame with cards. In order not to penalize those who crafted or participated in the beta earlier, there's bound to be something tied into XP levels. (Just a theory: Higher XP = Greater chance of crafting a game instead of a coupon)

Let's say they make 3 cents on every card on average. As the race for the bottom continues, Steam makes less off of each card. So, they "reinvest" the money to manually adjust some of the lower markets (TF2, etc) People end up trading and holding onto cards to craft more, selling at a higher price, which nabs them even more of a cut during the Summer Sale.

Sounds like insider trading to me. Punishable by law.

masterkajo

Ah... Just had a foil drop and only one other guy who put his for €12.- So I decided to put mine for €11.99. Five minutes later another one gets a foil and puts it at €3.50 Another one puts it for €3.49 and the guy behind me changes form €12.- to €3.48

How am I supposed to make money if people keep undercutting themselves especially if you undercut a €11.99 guy with €3.50 If the other people wouldn't have panicked and undercut the first guy we could have established a nice ~€10 value for the foil (maybe). :/

derExperte

Ah... Just had a foil drop and only one other guy who put his for €12.- So I decided to put mine for €11.99. Five minutes later another one gets a foil and puts it at €3.50 Another one puts it for €3.49 and the guy behind me changes form €12.- to €3.48

How am I supposed to make money if people keep undercutting themselves especially if you undercut a €11.99 guy with €3.50 If the other people wouldn't have panicked and undercut the first guy we could have established a nice ~€10 value for the foil (maybe). :/

What card? I'll buy the cheap ones and we can build up a foil oligopoly.

inky

Bought all FTL cards and the most expensive one was .29 (a few minutes ago)

Really? You lucked out with all of them then, this is what I saw not just 1 minute ago:

1BMcYWO.png

And in my experience that has been pretty consistent.

Although we are literally pinching pennies at this point.
Pennies that have made me $37 combined =D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay I have a mental problem:
MBinnK2.jpg

All of these are unplayed point and click adventures I have on Steam. I also probably have 20 or 30 unplayed PnCs off Steam. (A few of them I played a long time ago like The Dig). Any recommendations?

Dingotech

Geez now I'm wondering if I should buy up at least some cheap cards to enable me to craft something during the sale if they appear to be important...

I've kept my FTL and BoI cards so I could potentially complete those sets.

Nabs

I'm a fan of the Blackwell series. The first 3 games are really short (like 2 hrs), and the last one is about 5-6. It's got good characters, and the puzzles aren't completely stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom