• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I have a mental problem:

All of these are unplayed point and click adventures I have on Steam. I also probably have 20 or 30 unplayed PnCs off Steam. (A few of them I played a long time ago like The Dig). Any recommendations?

Gemini Rue/Primordia would be a good starting point, as they'll probably leave you psyched about adventure games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
http://i.imgur.com/MBinnK2.jpg

All of these are unplayed point and click adventures I have on Steam. I also probably have 20 or 30 unplayed PnCs off Steam. (A few of them I played a long time ago like The Dig). Any recommendations?
You are already JaseC.

This reminds me I still need to play the King's Quest Collection I was gifted some time ago. Tried the first game for a while but it was a bit more obtuse than what I'm used to.

Lint21

Neo Member

McPixel doesn't really belong there. Unmechanical looked pretty awesome from the Giant Bomb QL. Longest Journey is a classic for a reason, though the puzzles seemed a little obtuse by today's standards when I replayed it recently.

EDIT: I was thinking of Primordia, not Unmechanical. Unmechanical is not really a PnC.

Turfster

Ah... Just had a foil drop and only one other guy who put his for €12.- So I decided to put mine for €11.99. Five minutes later another one gets a foil and puts it at €3.50 Another one puts it for €3.49 and the guy behind me changes form €12.- to €3.48

How am I supposed to make money if people keep undercutting themselves especially if you undercut a €11.99 guy with €3.50 If the other people wouldn't have panicked and undercut the first guy we could have established a nice ~€10 value for the foil (maybe). :/

Welcome to the story of all my foils. Sigh.
I hadn't even started mine that high, but people undercut them with almost normal card prices...

The_Monk

If you like the movies from Back to the Future you will like those Episodes. I've finished them all. Broken Sword is always a good classic if you are feeling a good nostaligia, funny how I've been eyeing those two but last week finished Shadow of the Templars.

Gemini rue is interesting but to me it's a game to be played in the winter (sounds silly but there are games that I play according to the season I'm in).

I haven't played Dreamfall but I know it's a must, it seems you have it installed, have you started it before? You should start with that one, I only hear good things about it.

Nice point & click collection fellow GAFfer, I've started Deponia last week but I'm already missing the more Classic style in P&C games.

Dawg

My foil card was around €10 and then people started undercutting and now it's barely €1.50

I still have that foil.

Tenrius

I'd say Gemini Rue. Great plot twists, nostalgic, short.

Gurthang

Banned
How come you don't have the first broken sword?
Play Gemini Rue or Primordia . If you liked them then play Resonance and Blackwell bundle. Excellent games and for me at least they don't feel outdated in terms of visuals.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
My foild starter at like €10 and then people started undercutting and now it's barely €1.50

I still have that foil.

What I've learned with foils is set it high right as you get it (hopefully before other flood the market).

Freezard

I've found the best time to sell the cards is to firstly wait a day or two for the initial rush to calm down and then selling in the time between when America goes to sleep and Europe wakes up. So late Australian afternoon.

Gone are the days of $1+ standard cards, though it will be interesting if/when a $60 launches with cards day one, the prices there will be interesting.

Already happened with Company of Heroes 2. The cards dropped to 0.50€ really quickly, but that was also at the time when no one could enter the market.

Salsa

Any recommendations?

The Longest Journey is one of the best adventure games of all time by far, soooo get on that

Ben There, Dan That (and Time Gentleman, Please) is legit funny, wich is hard to come by. Worth a playthrough for that fact alone. They're pretty underrated.

Puzzle Agent 2 isnt as good as the first one, but if you liked the setting (wich is probably the best thing about it) there's certainly more of that.

Gemini Rue is great. Blade Runner-ish setting with very old school point n click mechanics and a decent story. I really really enjoyed it.

Same with Resonance although the setting wasnt as appealing to me, but they have a multiple character mechanic that keeps things interesting and at a good pace.

The Dream Machine is gorgeous and done entirely on claymation. Still waiting on the next episode.. D:

Botanicula is silly and charming.

Sam & Max are, IMO, worth a playthrough, although the reception is pretty divisive. I personally love S&M hit the road and i've loved the characters since I was a kid so I might be biased. Season 3 is a pretty big improvement in terms of engine, mechanics and graphics.

The Blackwell games are by the same folks who made Gemini Rue and Resonance, and they're good if you're wanting to get more of that, but otherwise I think you can skip them fine.

McPixel can be hilarious.

Haha, I love the competitive market.

GreenManGaming just stole tons of money from Steam with their 666 sale. Over the course of the last few days I've cleared 2/3rds of my wish list.

[EDIT] Forgot the Amazon sales from last week. Cleared a few items on that, too.

Sorry Gaben. Day late and a dollar short with your sale :/

Turfster

My foil card was around €10 and then people started undercutting and now it's barely €1.50

I still have that foil.

I still have 5 foils out at around 5€, so yeah.
They haven't moved in weeks since every time all the crazy undercutters are bought up, the market gets flooded with new ones.

Salsa

wait stump you havent played Monkey Island 2? cause put that above The Longest Journey recommendation

I know you played it tho cause c'mon

Tenrius

I still have that foil.

I still have 5 foils out at around 5€, so yeah.
They haven't moved in weeks since every time all the crazy undercutters are bought up, the market gets flooded with new ones.

You gotta catch the right moment, I got about $35 in total for my two foils (both from Brutal Legend).

I'm a fan of the Blackwell series. The first 3 games are really short (like 2 hrs), and the last one is about 5-6. It's got good characters, and the puzzles aren't completely stupid.
I started playing the series yesterday (finished Legacy) and so far I see it has a good potential. Pity that the first game was short

Joe Molotov

Puzzle Agent 2 because it's quick and fun.

Then Longest Journey and Dreamfall. And Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Never play Dead Mountaineer's Hotel. Ever.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What I've learned with foils is set it high right as you get it (hopefully before other flood the market).

I had zero luck selling my Defender's Quest foil for a pretty penny despite two instances of it being the only one available for several days. I initially listed it at $40 but it ultimately sold for a little under $9 two weeks later, after the beta ended and several more appeared (I was occasionally lowering the price by a few bucks as time went on, hoping to at least make $15+).

The only foil I've managed to sell for $10+ is the GLaDOS foil I snagged soon after the beta began. These days most people are happy waiting a few days for the market to crash, but you can get lucky.

Grief.exe

Haha, I love the competitive market.

GreenManGaming just stole tons of money from Steam with their 666 sale. Over the course of the last few days I've cleared 2/3rds of my wish list.

[EDIT] Forgot the Amazon sales from last week. Cleared a few items on that, too.

Sorry Gaben. Day late and a dollar short with your sale :/

Its funny that you think that.

Valve's entire business model has been fostered around creating competition through Steamworks while funneling people toward the Valve ecosystem.

Its irrelevant that you didn't spend any money on the Steam store. You still activated games within the client and became more tied to the store.
Millions of people did the same thing, and a high percent of them will spend at least some money during the Steam sale or at some point over the next decade.

Their server infrastructure is already in place, bandwidth costs at this point are minimal.

Getting people sucked into their client is the exact plan, and you walked right into it.

tumblr_mbwr97AsJE1r8l821o1_400.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I recommend Unmechanical because it's not actually a point and click game. That alone makes it better than the rest.

But also it has good puzzle design that isn't like adventure game bullshit either.

Getting people sucked into their client is the exact plan, and you walked right into it.

Yep, I spent a couple of dollars this morning crafting a badge to get a mystery card...just in case of...well something.

Anybody can sell games. Only Valve can pull off the shit they do.

Dawg

Valve's entire business model has been fostered around creating competition while funneling people toward's the Valve ecosystem.

Its irrelevant that you didn't spend any money on the Steam store. You still activated games within the client and became more tied to the store.
Millions of people did the same thing, and a high percent of them will spend at least some money during the Steam sale or at some point over the next decade.

Their server infrastructure is already in place, bandwidth costs at this point are minimal.

we are already dead

Caerith

The episodic Telltale games go by pretty quickly. Like, Back to the Future will knock out 5 games, Sam & Max another hundred or so. Fastest way to clear your backlog, I think.

I also recommend you grab Emerald City Confidential. Same guys who made Blackwell (which is highly recommended).

Buy The Book of Unwritten Tales. But, if you meant any recommendations from that list of yours, I also do recommend The Blackwell series. They're short but sweet. The are easy on the puzzle side but they're charming with a relaxing subtle type of humor. They're amateurish in the best kind of way yet very friendly to beginners.

The order is: Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, Deception.

Blizzard

Banned
Since I'm 15 years late to the party and didn't see an immediate answer on the Steam or wikipedia pages...how integral is multiplayer to Baldur's Gate? Can everything be played singleplayer or do you miss out on much by skipping multiplayer?

Since I'm 15 years late to the party and didn't see an immediate answer on the Steam or wikipedia pages...how integral is multiplayer to Baldur's Gate? Can everything be played singleplayer or do you miss out on much by skipping multiplayer?

I've played just about every single D&D game, most of them several times. I've never touched multiplayer once and in fact spurn it as I would spurn a rabid dog.

You won't miss anything beyond perhaps forming stronger lifelong friendships due to shared adventures.

Joe Molotov

Valve's entire business model has been fostered around creating competition through Steamworks while funneling people toward the Valve ecosystem.

On December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM, the Internet discovered the existence of Gabe. They had been working towards this for decades. They wanted to prove whether their theorised "spirit of the PC gaming universe" actually existed and they pulled it off. They discovered that "Gabe" or rather the spirit and essence that exists beyond the veil of gaming was an invisible photonic energy field that generated PC gaming and now controls the games and the sales.

RetroMG

I'm a fan of the Blackwell series. The first 3 games are really short (like 2 hrs), and the last one is about 5-6. It's got good characters, and the puzzles aren't completely stupid.

This. Looking over your list, these are probably the best games you have. Then do the TellTale games. (Back to the Future, Sam and Max, I'm not sure if Tales of Monkey Island was on there.)

McPixel can be hilarious.

Thank you! I saw a trailer for this game forever ago and wanted to buy it, but I couldn't remember what it was called.

Blizzard

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/MBinnK2.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of my favorite adventure games ever, though perhaps I view it with nostalgia glasses. I remember it being funny and a bit interesting. As far as I've heard, the rest of that bundle (the other Indiana Jones game, and Loom, since you've already played the Dig) are also good if you end up liking Fate of Atlantis.

I've played just about every single D&D game, most of them several times. I've never touched multiplayer once and in fact spurn it as I would spurn a rabid dog.

You won't miss anything.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure Baldur's Gate had a normal full singleplayer campaign and whatnot. I feel like I missed out on a classic or something. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are there upgrades in Mark of the Ninja that allow you deal with guards in a non-lethal manner so you can clear an area and also get the no kill bonus at the end of the level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom