• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seemed to be your first actual argument, before was just ad hominem attacks or various other fallacies.

No, it's actually just the first time you didn't ignore 90% of my post, invent a straw-man point to argue against, follow it up with a silly picture, and then spam my mailbox.

Amazing how the discussion picks up when you stop doing that, isn't it?

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Man, this sure is a lot of arguing just because TekGryphon wants to show that he's smarter than Gabe because the sale hasn't started yet...

shiiiiiii-

I can't make Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies work on W8, I tried everything: installing the goddamn GFWL, running it using different compatibility modes, running it as admin, but it just crashes as soon as I launch it, I get a " Lost Planet has stopped working" error window

did any of you guys manage to run it on W8 or W7?

Sober

Did the armchair economics shit slinging finally come to an end?

I was just about to ask why Amazon.com digital downloads were US only.

Man, this sure is a lot of arguing just because TekGryphon wants to show that he's smarter than Gabe because the sale hasn't started yet...

Interesting hyperbole, thanks for the response.

I was going to participate in another thread where they're discussing the design flaws in Windows 8. Are you going to hop in there and say I'm claiming I'm smarter than Julie Larson? Or does this cultish behavior begin and end with Valve?

Cynar

Use an American billing address and you'll be able to purchase the games. It's a US site and restrict it to their country.

It was honestly over before it begun, someone just wanted an excuse to post Gaben pics.

Amazon is under heavy scrutiny right now for (sales) tax evasion. In response they've started locking down transactions that might bring additional scrutiny on how they handle exchange rates or taxation.

We'll see if they're permanent changes or if it blows over once a few global governments find something else to occupy themselves with.

cicero

Interesting hyperbole, thanks for the response.

I was going to participate in another thread where they're discussing the design flaws in Windows 8. Are you going to hop in there and say I'm claiming I'm smarter than Julie Larson? Or does this cultish behavior begin and end with Valve?

"cultish behavior" And you have the gall to accuse others of hyperbole? Your disparaging rhetoric is exaggerated and ridiculous.

Grief.exe

No, it's not, and I never pretended it was. Customer A and Customer B are sample representatives of the market, nothing more.

As sample representatives, they don't represent ALL customers, only a portion. But if even a portion of potential sales are being lost, then that's a problem.

You claim that those losses are unavoidable, but your argument for that hinges upon us believing that you have insider information on what Steam has to do (vs what they can negotiate) in relation to publishers and insider information on what other retailers do not have to do in relation to publishers.

You are welcome to cite your credentials to me, but I personally don't believe you are an insider in this industry and can argue with authority on what the contractual relationships and negotiable terms are between Valve and its publishers.

Those portion of sales are loss, but new customers continue to be gained. This strategy seems to be working because Steam's user base and profits seems to be growing massively every year.
Valve's profits have had 100% profit growth year on year for the past several years.

My argument does not hinge on insider information.

Activating games on Steam is free for retailers selling keys as well as independent developers.
The revenue split taking by Valve is unknown, but we know it is there

No, it's actually just the first time you didn't ignore 90% of my post, invent a straw-man point to argue against, follow it up with a silly picture, and then spam my mailbox.

Amazing how the discussion picks up when you stop doing that, isn't it?

Don't see where you are getting this from.

Going through past posts, I addressed each one of your statements pretty much point by point.

I don't see how it can be construed as a strawman or ignoring any of your post in that sense.

If I did pass over something, it was only because it was made redundant by a previous statement.

Gintoki

Its out - 12 dollars

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

Sober

Guys if you're going to ruin the thread either ask for screenshots of gamelists in grid mode or flood it pictures of hot chicks.

Grief.exe

shiiiiiii-

I can't make Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies work on W8, I tried everything: installing the goddamn GFWL, running it using different compatibility modes, running it as admin, but it just crashes as soon as I launch it, I get a " Lost Planet has stopped working" error window

did any of you guys manage to run it on W8 or W7?

Have you installed GFWL separately?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient

You should have gotten the physical copy.

Its only $5-$6 from some of those retailers, its Steamworks, and doesn't have GFWL.

Those portion of sales are loss, but ...

No, stop there. That's it, end of the discussion. Anything beyond that point is a straw-man which I'm not interested in engaging you on.

I'm not interested because I don't disagree. Go find someone who isn't familiar with Steam's basic business module, or who disagrees with it, and have all the fun you want.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was honestly over before it begun, someone just wanted an excuse to post Gaben pics.

Amazon is under heavy scrutiny right now for (sales) tax evasion. In response they've started locking down transactions that might bring additional scrutiny on how they handle exchange rates or taxation.

We'll see if they're permanent changes or if it blows over once a few global governments find something else to occupy themselves with.

The residency requirement is not due to Amazon's tax situation. It has always restricted digital products to the US, and bypassing said restriction is literally as easy as attaching a secondary, US-based address to your account since its checkout system neither runs an IP check nor looks up the address tied to the debit/credit card itself; in fact, this loophole is so transparently deliberate it'd be more accurate to label it an undocumented feature.

"cultish behavior" And you have the gall to accuse others of hyperbole? Your disparaging rhetoric is exaggerated and ridiculous.

Yes, I do. It was a worthless reply and one that I would expect on Youtube, not here. You running to his rescue to defend him doesn't change that.

The residency requirement is not due to Amazon's tax situation. It has always restricted digital products to the US, and bypassing said restriction is literally as easy as attaching a secondary, US-based address to your account since its checkout system neither runs an IP check nor looks up the address tied to the debit/credit card itself; in fact, this loophole is so transparently deliberate it'd be more accurate to label it an undocumented feature.

Yeah, bypassing it isn't hard at all.

They just have to make it look like they're trying. Same with their "estimated tax" section they've added.

Caerith

Guys if you're going to ruin the thread either ask for screenshots of gamelists in grid mode or flood it pictures of hot chicks.
I'm sure we'll see lots of Toki Tori pics soon enough.

$12 for a 16-year old game that looks exactly the same as the original I still have a disc for?

Good thing it has:
Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.
Because Final Fantasy VII was so hard.

Huh.. I've heard about that but I thought it was going to be an HD version?

That video looks, well... like the original game looked.

JaseC

Huh.. I've heard about that but I thought it was going to be an HD version?

That video looks, well... like the original game looked.

It's just the original PC version with some sloppily-applied polish. If memory serves, Squaresoft actually lost the higher-res source assets for the pre-rendered backgrounds.

Sober

It's just the original PC version with some sloppy polish applied.
So no widescreen support (without mods), gamepad support, custom keybinds (last time I tried someone's copy of FF7 on the PC it was the numpad for movement) and all that stuff is to not be expected then?

I just know that if FF7 goes on sale, I will buy my third copy.

On another note, does anybody actually keep their trading cards? I've just been selling mine at the market price as I get them, have built up enough Steam dollars to maybe grab a game in the upcoming sale. I don't really see the point in keeping the cards when I can trade them for real money.

JaseC

What's a "Sloppy Polish"?

I misspoke. :p

So no widescreen support (without mods), gamepad support, custom keybinds (last time I tried someone's copy of FF7 on the PC it was the numpad for movement) and all that stuff is to not be expected then?

I seem to recall reading that this re-release doesn't support mods, but I may be wrong on that.

Grief.exe

It would be impossible to do widescreen unless you wanted to stretch the images.

The original backgrounds were pre-rendered 320x240 images. Increasing the render resolution would just stretch these images.

You can mod the sound in the game, and it is recommended that you do.

also

I can't tell whether the game has DRM or not.

I'm thinking not.

The only thing it installs is TrueMotion, which is a form of video compression

WI7fFcn.png

Well, I just saved myself $12.

On another note, apparently I am a terrible human being for purchasing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Steam because Atari is being a monumental prick to Overhaul, the developers.

zkylon

zkylewd

lol squeenix gonna squeenix

guess I'll buy it for that friend that went with me to watch distant worlds and hasn't played a single final fantasy game

hope you ain't reading this

Because he's been spamming my mailbox every single time he posts with a "LOOK AT MY POST!" message. I have never encountered anyone who does that in my 15 years of posting in online communities.

I should have made it clear in my post when I said "see my PM" that I wasn't initiating, I was just replying to his spam.

That said, I'm honestly not interested in listening to "losing sales to competitors is a GREAT strategy, especially when it's sales that were coming from users with high usage of our client and high monetization."

You guys can say I'm being mean to him all you want, I'm just laying it out. It's a silly argument, and his posting of silly Gaben pictures or spamming my mailbox with messages isn't changing a thing. When you're selling "one-and-done" products like games, being the last one to the market is a bad strategy. That's not insulting Valve. Valve's a great company, and I think 99% of the reason I'm getting so much flack on such an obvious point is that people think I'm besmirching the image of the "Almighty Valve". They can, and almost certain will, improve on this - I'm just pointing it out.
I don't give a shit about valve (tbh I like them less every day) or you being right dude, just don't be a condescending douche, that's all

even if you disagree with someone you should at least respect them

On another note, does anybody actually keep their trading cards? I've just been selling mine at the market price as I get them, have built up enough Steam dollars to maybe grab a game in the upcoming sale. I don't really see the point in keeping the cards when I can trade them for real money.

I keep mine. The amount of time it would take me to learn how to sell them, what to sell them for, and then actually sell them is not worth the time for the meager returns.

I'll probably just give them to my nephew. He loved the TF2 market. Of course now that he has an actual job he might not be interested either.

cicero

Yes, I do. It was a worthless reply and one that I would expect on Youtube, not here. You running to his rescue to defend him doesn't change that.

I didn't run to his rescue. I didn't defend him. I specifically pointed out the hypocrisy of you having the gall to accuse someone of hyperbole when you have literally used little else to denigrate and disparage anyone who disagrees with your positions.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68086731&postcount=8950

As I asked before: "Do you have anything even remotely knowledgeable or informed to say in response to Gabe's direct comments about his views regarding third party sales and Valve's intentional choice to not charge a tax on them?".

I'm not interested in discussing high school level business theories with a kid who thinks that losing large percentages of potential revenues from moderately to highly monetized brand-loyal customers is a "good strategy".

Business operations and marketing is not monolithic. You can pursue new customer acquisition AND customer retention. Valve is losing out on revenue by not being transparent or aggressive enough with their sales, and other companies are using that to their advantage to poach revenue.
Go ahead and explain their pointed move to not charge a tax on third party or publisher direct sales. Explain the profit driven motives that they SHOULD be having and explain just why something other than that is currently in place. You know, refute or rebut Gabe's actual comments that I provided.

I keep mine. The amount of time it would take me to learn how to sell them, what to sell them for, and then actually sell them is not worth the time for the meager returns.

I'll probably just give them to my nephew. He loved the TF2 market. Of course now that he has an actual job he might not be interested either.

Selling them is super easy. Click them in your inventory, click sell, and a window appears showing historical prices. I just price mine a few cents below current prices and they're gone within minutes. Not major returns, but hey, free money.

Hellix

I may hold onto them depending on what is going on with this year's summer event. Just bought 400 Days DLC, Payday 2, and now FFVII thanks to Steam trading card money.

Go ahead and explain their pointed move to not charge a tax on third party or publisher direct sales. Explain the profit driven motives that they SHOULD be having and explain just why something other than that is currently in place. You know, refute or rebut Gabe's actual comments that I provided.

Why should I refute your point? I don't disagree with it, and it's not relevant to the discussion.

Relax, bro. I love Gabe, too. I'm not besmirching his honor. Put down the torch.

Goody

FF7, huh? Neat. I might pick it up down the road if only because on the PC was how I first experienced the game.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass

You really don't know what the word hyperbole means, do you?

Anyway, these Gun Monkey card prices are insane, but going down hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom