• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

For anyone who bought FFVII would you mind checking your registry for a Securom entry?

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SecuROM

I'm looking at you Xelios ;)

The only stipulation is you can't have another Securom game installed.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
For anyone who bought FFVII would you mind checking your registry for a Securom entry?

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SecuROM

I'm looking at you Xelios ;)

Nothing, but I haven't installed it.

Installing now.

Grief.exe

I just noticed you've been killing Rogue Legacy by the way.

You almost have 100% of the achievements!

I just beat the forest boss.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I might jump on Rogue Legacy when I'm done with MotN. Dunder is offering it for $10 (I completely forgot that the developer was offering it for $10 prior to release) and I love the concept.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I just noticed you've been killing Rogue Legacy by the way.

You almost have 100% of the achievements!

I just beat the forest boss.

Yep, finding the last few pieces of equipment is proving to be difficult.

I installed FF VII and no sign of Securom in the registry. Haven't made an account though and actually launched it. so I'll do that and edit this post with the results.

Edit: No Securom.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have created the following, and decidedly awful, pictorial flow chart illustrating Valve's business model:

thevalvemethodg1stc.png

(This took me twice as long as it should have because I initially saved it as a JPG and didn't realise this until after I'd closed Fireworks.)
You know what, this is almost exactly what happened to me a year ago (it was around this day too), only that I paid $30 for Max Payne 3 instead of $10.

Also love that Steam key!

So I finally bought a Mystery card for 89 cents. Now if only Isaac and FTL's card prices would drop a little further so I get those cards I'm missing for less than an euro each...

Oh, and I put FF VII at the top of my wishlist when I saw the store page... But I see Square has betrayed us, so I guess that place goes back to System Shock 2 now :(

Grief.exe

Okay, now I'm seriously going to bed.

Well that's Dust bought. Hoping to scrounge a bit more revenue out of the cards to pay for 400 days.

Good choice.

So I finally bought a Mystery card for 89 cents. Now if only Isaac and FTL's card prices would drop a little further so I get those cards I'm missing for less than an euro each...

Oh, and I put FF VII at the top of my wishlist when I saw the store page... But I see Square has betrayed us, so I guess that place goes back to System Shock 2 now :(

Get SS2 during the sale!

Tomodachi

Is Dust cheaper anywhere else? I'm still debating whether to pull the trigger, I'm not sure I'll be able to play it right away.

Okay I have a mental problem:
MBinnK2.jpg

All of these are unplayed point and click adventures I have on Steam. I also probably have 20 or 30 unplayed PnCs off Steam. (A few of them I played a long time ago like The Dig). Any recommendations?

Broken Sword 1&2 first, after that the rest.

Still debating whether to buy BLEED. Since it's new and already on sale, any chance that it would be discounted more during the Summer Sale?

---
And damn, reading through this thread, it really sucks coming to Steam so late.

People with 400 games? That's insane, don't even know how that's possible. I doubt it's possible to even play all those games

Being able to sell cards? I thought those were just like PSN trophies or achievements. What's the difference between cards and badges?

Humble Bundles, other bundles? Didn't even know these existed. Only way to get extra keys to trade or just get great games for cheap in general and I don't have a credit card or Paypal. Actually I've been lurking around Reddit. That's a great source for giveaways and swaps

Well, I did give away keys so I feel good about that.

JaseC

Being able to sell cards? I thought those were just like PSN trophies or achievements. What's the difference between cards and badges?

Badges adorn your profile after crafting one using a complete set of cards. Additionally, crafting a badge also nets you an emoticon, profile background (both related to the game in question), and a "Mysterious Card" that has an as-yet unknown function but is presumably tied into the Summer Sale meta-game (all three items can be sold on the market if you so desire); you also earn XP, and each time you "level up" you earn an additional five friend list slots, with certain level milestones also rewarding you with a "showcase" slot to use on your profile. If you max out a badge (regular badges can be crafted five times while foil badges just the once*), although the cards will no longer be in your inventory, they will remain in your "binder" (Valve is preparing a proper one, which will go live soon), which you can view by clicking the appropriate game in your badge list.

* There also promotional badges, such as the one you can earn by completing various Steam Community-related tasks. The ability to level up these badges varies: the Steam Community badge, for instance, has two levels.

Edit: Bah, my ability to type is almost non-existent today. :p I'm missing letters/words all over the place.

How do you buy from Nuuvem? I tried adding Mass Effect 2 to my cart and it keeps saying "This product is not available for purchase in your region"

Badges adorn your profile after crafting one using a complete set of cards. Additionally, crafting a badge also nets you an emoticon, profile background (both related to the game in question), and a "Mysterious Card" that has an as-yet unknown function but is presumably tied into the Summer Sale meta-game (all three items can be sold on the market if you so desire); you also earn XP, and each time you "level up" you earn an additional five friend list slots. If you max out a badge (regular badges can be crafted five times while foil badges just the once*), although the cards will no longer be in your inventory, they will remain in your "binder" (Valve is preparing a proper one, which will go live soon), which you can view by clicking the appropriate game in your badge list.

* There also promotional badges, such as the one you can earn by completing various Steam Community-related tasks. The ability to level up these badges varies: the Steam Community badge, for instance, has two levels.

Edit: Bah, my ability to type is almost non-existent today. :p I'm missing letters/words all over the place.
That seems pretty complicated. Probably never going to get involved with that.

JaseC

That seems pretty complicated. Probably never going to get involved with that.

It sounds more complicated than it is. For game-related badges, it's literally as easy as buying/trading cards to complete a set, clicking the "craft badge" button, and selling what you don't want.

derExperte

Deciding to pay the $12 to buy Skulls of the Shogun because I assumed, rightly so, that fewer amounts of people would be paying near full price for the game and so it was likely that it would have fewer cards was a great decision. I made the full price of the game back and another $15+ speculating by buying up cards that were undercutting mine for certain cards that seemed to have fewer drops overall.

Thanks for the free game and the extra credit, Gaben!

Damn man, I did good myself but not nearly that good, you must have sold those cards at their price peaks. It looked like people stopped buying them for more than 1€ so I started to get a little nervous.

People with 400 games? That's insane, don't even know how that's possible. I doubt it's possible to even play all those games

400 is barely scrub-status. Don't look at certain other GAFers libraries if that fazes you already.

It sounds more complicated than it is. For game-related badges, it's literally as easy as buying/trading cards to complete a set, clicking the "craft badge" button, and selling what you don't want.
Thing is, I'm never going to have a library to match most Steam users. And if you get cards by doing things in game like achievements or by playing multiplayer, then I'm never going to get cards and I don't play online. For example, I'm never going to play Team Fortress 2.

And only I have limited $$, so I definitely wouldn't spend it on cards

JaseC

Thing is, I'm never going to have a library to match most Steam users. And if you get cards by doing things in game like achievements or by playing multiplayer, then I'm never going to get cards and I don't play online. For example, I'm never going to play Team Fortress 2.

You can use up your per-game drops just by idling in the main menu. Load up a game, alt-tab and do something else while you wait for your cards.

Is Rogue Legacy that good? Worth paying full price now or should i still wait for the summer sale?

Depends of course and I think there is a link earlier in the thread where you can get it for $10 from the steam trading guy on gaf.

I'm pretty much over it now but I really enjoyed my time with it and got 10 hours of fun. When you compare that with 38 hours of say FTL before I hit that rogue "been there/done that" point it isn't quite as impressive.

But still, I can vouch for its overall quality, just up to you if the dollars make sense and you have time to actually play it.

masterkajo

Finally sold a foil card for GSB worth about €3. Could have been about €12 if it weren't for an idiot who undercut from €12 to €3 in one swoop (Then everyone seemed to undercut this guy and the price went down without a purchase from €12 to €3). The guy who bought my foil seems to be a japanese business man (at least according to his profile) who bought all the GSB foils at once not matter the price. He payed up to €14 for some. If the one guy wouldn't have shown up and undercut by €9 I could have made about €12 with a digital card, damn you, undercutter!

derExperte

Finally sold a foil card for GSP worth about €3. Could have been about €12 if it weren't for an idiot who undercut from €12 to €3 in one swoop (Then everyone seemed to undercut this guy and the price went down without a purchase from €12 to €3). The guy who bought my foil seems to be a japanese business man (at least according to his profile) who bought all the GSB foils at once not matter the price. He payed up to €14 for some. If the one guy wouldn't have shown up and undercut by €9 I could have made about €12 with a digital card, damn you, undercutter!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68044891&postcount=8734

We could be rich. :(

masterkajo

Ah, no. If only I had read that before going to bed last night. Would have been epic :)

EDIT: Now all prices of GSB foils seem to be very low. The problem with this strategy is that hardly anyone builds foil badges. So when you buy up all the cheap foils you spend a lot of small amounts but the demand for foils (especially at higher prices) is not very high. And you would have to buy each card that undercuts you again in order to keep controlling the price. Would work though if the demand is high. Well, we need more japanese business men that are interested in digital foild bades.

Thieve

Neo Member
Finally sold a foil card for GSP worth about €3. Could have been about €12 if it weren't for an idiot who undercut from €12 to €3 in one swoop (Then everyone seemed to undercut this guy and the price went down without a purchase from €12 to €3). The guy who bought my foil seems to be a japanese business man (at least according to his profile) who bought all the GSB foils at once not matter the price. He payed up to €14 for some. If the one guy wouldn't have shown up and undercut by €9 I could have made about €12 with a digital card, damn you, undercutter!

I got a BL2 foil within the first couple of minutess of launching it. At the time it was consistantly selling for $33ish, so I undercut by like 2 cents, right after mine someone posted theirs for 25, then people started flooding undercuts from that one guy. Ended up only getting like $18 for it, but it still sucks losing 1/3rd of the potential in a matter of minutes for no reason.

JaseC

Would it be possible for Valve to add FF VII cards now that it's up?

mite b cool

The onus would be on Squeenix to create the cards (each card holds a piece of high-res art), emoticons and profile backgrounds. Valve have implemented tools into the Steamworks SDK to make this process quick and easy, though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got a BL2 foil within the first couple of minutess of launching it. At the time it was consistantly selling for $33ish, so I undercut by like 2 cents, right after mine someone posted theirs for 25, then people started flooding undercuts from that one guy. Ended up only getting like $18 for it, but it still sucks losing 1/3rd of the potential in a matter of minutes for no reason.

The reason is that the cards don't exist anywhere outside of a computer and people don't really have to do anything to get them. There's no intrinsic value to these foil cards and people just want some free money quickly. Be glad you got $18 when really there's no reason that they should be worth anything at all, really.

masterkajo

The reason is that the cards don't exist anywhere outside of a computer and people don't really have to do anything to get them. There's no intrinsic value to these foil cards and people just want some free money quickly. Be glad you got $18 when really there's no reason that they should be worth anything at all, really.

Sure, that is true. Though there seem to be some people who want to buy them even at high prices. So why not try to get as much money out of it as possible? Why undercut by a lot? I mean even if it is free money if I offer to give you $25 or $33 why not take the latter?

EDIT: I can understand that someone might just want a certain amount i.e. $25 since it is significantly cheaper than the rest it might sell faster. The problem though is that the minute someone undercuts by this far all other people seem to think the value of the card has dropped and undercut the guy. So he won't get his sale b/c other people are cheaper again and in a matter of minutes the value of the card has indeed dropped without a single reason just b/c people are impatient and so easily influenced.

deejay

Do you guys think the Steam Summer Sale is starting today, since Dark has been released a day ahead of its (European) schedule ? Interesting, right ?

Milamber

I bought TWD: 400 Days instead of FFVII. Didn't notice that the SE DRM requires you to be always online, right before I hit the final checkout page too.

Thanks GMG, for giving me 7 pages of checkout processes so I can review my decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom