• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidhe Interactive just made "The List"

sidhetxs1d.png

Its funny that you think that.

Valve's entire business model has been fostered around creating competition through Steamworks while funneling people toward the Valve ecosystem.

Its irrelevant that you didn't spend any money on the Steam store. You still activated games within the client and became more tied to the store.
Millions of people did the same thing, and a high percent of them will spend at least some money during the Steam sale or at some point over the next decade.

Their server infrastructure is already in place, bandwidth costs at this point are minimal.

Getting people sucked into their client is the exact plan, and you walked right into it.

You're confused.

I was already a Steam customer. I have over 400 games.

The only time I spend my money on Steam is during sales and, as my library attests, I'm willing to spend a lot. This quarter Steam is going to be getting a fraction from my wallet of what they would normally get due to their stubborn opaqueness on revealing sale schedules.

My Steam gaming group also made numerous purchases through GMG the last few days.

You can spin it however you want but the fact is, I, and many of my friends, people in this forum, and on other gaming communities, are members of the "high value" segment on Steam. We are monetized heavily and we love Steam as a platform, yet Steam still lost out on a majority of the money we were prepared to spend this quarter.

That's bad, no matter how many glittering beard pics you care to throw out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
GMG and Amazon sales are both trash. GMG started out intriguing, but now looks like it might end up even less interesting that Amazon's.

Salsa

for some reason Crysis 2 is now running pitch perfect at a constant 60fps with everything maxed out on the Maldo mod, whereas earlier today it was struggling quite a bit. Equally demanding areas

this game behaves weird

just got Mortal Kombat and the walking dead DLC. summer sale starts

Megasoum

Banned
GMG and Amazon sales are both trash. GMG started out intriguing, but now looks like it might end up even less interesting that Amazon's.

I agree but considering that for the last couple of sales the Steam sale was always the worst, maybe it's a sign that everything will be terrible this time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, I thought I sold my Magicka cards and now I have six of a few of them. Oops.

Edit: I see "Mysterious Cards" have replaced discount coupons.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What are the chances Skyrim DLC goes on sale for the summer sale?

Wanting to get back into modded Skyrim and play the DLC and all the stuff I didn't finish before. But I don't want to spend 50 bucks on DLC and have the DLC be cheap as dirt during the summer sale.

Would it be less likely to go on sale because of the Legendary Edition? Or could it go on sale regardless?

xJavonta

Banned
Goddamnit Gaben I just spent most of my spare money a 3DS, you're taking too long with the sale.

Gimme deals dammit

Edit: Is Sanctum TD any good? Just bought it on impulse since it was only a dollar and some change

JaseC

What are the chances Skyrim DLC goes on sale for the summer sale?

Wanting to get back into modded Skyrim and play the DLC and all the stuff I didn't finish before. But I don't want to spend 50 bucks on DLC and have the DLC be cheap as dirt during the summer sale.

Would it be less likely to go on sale because of the Legendary Edition? Or could it go on sale regardless?

It'll go on sale regardless. See: Fallout: NV UE and Fallout: NV DLC.

We are monetized heavily and we love Steam as a platform, yet Steam still lost out on a majority of the money we were prepared to spend this quarter.

Point 1. It is Valve's platform and they let this happen. They have access to all the full figures and business scenarios and they would have looked at those figures and made a business decision about how to make the most money. I think they have that side of it covered.

Point 2.... no point 1 is probably enough.

There isn't any way it could be bad for them.

It's unfortunate, but I'm assuming Sidhe was given the green light to self-publish on Steam provided it didn't undercut Tru Blu on retail copies.

Probably true, still sucks though. Certainly a game I'll pass on off of steam directly at least.

But then again I can't find a copy of Rugby League Live 2 for PS3 for a decent price anywhere $65 is way too much...

I think it is something like $30 on PSN at the moment.

Deadbeat

Banned
Just a shame I can't turn my useless coupons into mystery cards.
There should be some retroactive thing in place by valve because it basically screws over you missed out crafted early. Now if I craft a badge im going to wait until the next themed sale they have, because crafting any other time you might miss out on goodies.

But it will come down to what the mystery cards bring. If they only count towards a SUMMER SALE BADGE then whoopdiedoo.

Caerith

There should be some retroactive thing in place by valve because it basically screws over anyone that crafted early. Now if I craft a badge im going to wait until the next themed sale they have, because crafting any other time you might miss out on goodies.

But it will come down to what the mystery cards bring. If they only count towards a SUMMER SALE BADGE then whoopdiedoo.
How is anyone "screwed over"?

JaseC

Just a shame I can't turn my useless coupons into mystery cards.

Yeah, I have a big bunch of them sitting in my inventory, collecting digital dust.

Probably true, still sucks though. Certainly a game I'll pass on off of steam directly at least.

Is the game Steamworks? You could buy a resold key so you still get the game but Sidhe sees none of your money. :p

Edit: The mystery cards intrigue me so I may level up one more badge before the sale starts... probably Super Meat Boy (Brutal Legend cards are cheaper still but there are far too many of them).

Turfster

How is anyone "screwed over"?

Lots of people (me included) got lots of totally worthless and useless 1 week discount coupons that could have been these (non-perishable) mystery cards instead.
Of course, if the mystery cards turn out to be equally worthless, it wouldn't have mattered, but it would have been nicer to have the cards instead.

Is the game Steamworks? You could buy a resold key so you still get the game but Sidhe sees none of your money. :p

Doesn't look like it. Also Sidhu, Jonah Lomu was a star like 18 years ago...but I digress.

Edit: The mystery cards intrigue me so I may level up one more badge before the sale starts... probably Super Meat Boy (Brutal Legend cards are cheaper still but there are far too many of them).

Even if it is nothing, it is a bit of fun. I'm a sucker for things like this and "mystery games" on indie bundles.

Mind you my prize for making a badge is a wallpaper with naked babies on it...which is kind of a strange thing to have now.

Caerith

Lots of people (me included) got lots of totally worthless and useless 1 week discount coupons that could have been these (non-perishable) mystery cards instead.
Of course, if the mystery cards turn out to be equally worthless, it wouldn't have mattered, but it would have been nicer to have the cards instead.
No, I agree with you, but I don't feel screwed over. I haven't been evicted, the lab didn't call with grim news, and I just looked outside and see no meteor fast approaching.

Even had I exhausted all my badges by fiving regulars and foils for the previous games, they released new cards today so I'd be able to craft more badges and get mystery cards same as everyone else.

I dislike coupons, but I think I dislike cheesing and hyperbole even more.

Dingotech

I think it is something like $30 on PSN at the moment.

Interesting thanks! I've got a mate who is in the US and bugs me all the time to buy a copy to play against him.

On-topic - Up to $25 in my wallet for the sales, hopefully some interesting things come up for sale rather than the usual always on sale games.

Grief.exe

You're confused.

I was already a Steam customer. I have over 400 games.

The only time I spend my money on Steam is during sales and, as my library attests, I'm willing to spend a lot. This quarter Steam is going to be getting a fraction from my wallet of what they would normally get due to their stubborn opaqueness on revealing sale schedules.

My Steam gaming group also made numerous purchases through GMG the last few days.

You can spin it however you want but the fact is, I, and many of my friends, people in this forum, and on other gaming communities, are members of the "high value" segment on Steam. We are monetized heavily and we love Steam as a platform, yet Steam still lost out on a majority of the money we were prepared to spend this quarter.

I think you are overlooking several things. You have tunnel vision towards a small segment of the market and then extrapolating that out to cover the whole.

You aren't their primary target, you have already dumped hundreds of dollars into the Steam ecosystem, already bought in and have become intrinsically attached.

They are focusing on the new members. Let them get brought into the Valve client with the cheap deals elsewhere, much like you were brought in years ago.

They are looking for the millions of people who are new to Steam. The ones that are just starting and have yet to amass the massive amount of games that you have. That is their primary market. And the tens of millions of existing customers that have been apart of the client for a decade, and will continue to do so down the road.

They aren't losing money by you buying the game from elsewhere, bandwidth costs are minuscule at this point. They are forfeiting that 30% of the sale in order to get new customers and retain old customers. This process is netting Valve hundreds of thousands, if not millions of potential new customers. And retaining millions upon millions of loyal customers. This is the genius of Steamworks.

These are millions of new eyes that will be looking at the Summer sale discounts next week. That is millions of new potential revenue streams coming in over the years. And you are one of the 60 million or so retained customers that will be looking at the Steam sale next week.

Valve is loaded for back end revenue, not front end. They don't care how you buy in, but they are looking to have that revenue stream for as long as possible.

246907-GabeNewell.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
I think you are overlooking several things. You have tunnel vision towards a small segment of the market and then extrapolating that out to cover the whole.

You aren't their primary target, you have already dumped hundreds of dollars into the Steam ecosystem, already bought in and have become intrinsically attached.

They are focusing on the new members. Let them get brought into the Valve client with the cheap deals elsewhere, much like you were brought in years ago.

They are looking for the millions of people who are new to Steam. The ones that are just starting and have yet to amass the massive amount of games that you have. That is their primary market. And the tens of millions of existing customers that have been apart of the client for a decade, and will continue to do so down the road.

They aren't losing money by you buying the game from elsewhere, bandwidth costs are minuscule at this point. They are forfeiting that 30% of the sale in order to get new customers and retain old customers. This process is netting Valve hundreds of thousands, if not millions of potential new customers. And retaining millions upon millions of loyal customers. This is the genius of Steamworks.

These are millions of new eyes that will be looking at the Summer sale discounts next week. That is millions of new potential revenue streams coming in over the years. And you are one of the 60 million or so retained customers that will be looking at the Steam sale next week.

Valve is loaded for back end revenue, not front end. They don't care how you buy in, but they are looking to have that revenue stream for as long as possible.

246907-GabeNewell.jpg
a monopolistic genius, I might add

Grief.exe

Strangely enough, I don't think I have ever seen an ad for Steam itself.

This actually perfectly plays into my point. Why would Valve feel the need to advertise?

The Steamworks system does it for them, and is designed perfectly to do so.

You average consumer will get on the Amazon sale, GMG, Gamestop, etc. See all of the amazing deals, 'Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs! All for $5?'

They instantly buy the titles, then have to install Steam in order to download and play them. Instant customer, and free advertising.

Mr_Elysia

Okay I have a mental problem:
Any recommendations?

The Void is not exactly a point and click in the sense of most of those others. That said, it would be my recommendation as I feel you're well enough endowed to appreciate it. It's main mechanic is frustrating and difficult and you can paint yourself into unwinnable scenarios. If that lessens your compulsion I would tell you that I think it's at least worth your while to watch Someone else do so.

If you're looking for more traditional point and click and you don't mind a little cheese and a horrible protagonist name, Gemini Rue is easy and worth playing through with a nice dystopic atmosphere. Only one silly pixel hunt that I encountered.

zkylon

zkylewd
Okay I have a mental problem:
http://i.imgur.com/MBinnK2.jpg

All of these are unplayed point and click adventures I have on Steam. I also probably have 20 or 30 unplayed PnCs off Steam. (A few of them I played a long time ago like The Dig). Any recommendations?
just to further what mr. elysia's saying, the void is one of my favorite recent games. it's a very strange game, there's a bunch of weird subsystem that the game makes the effort not to explain but it's a joy when you finally figure them out. it's also a joy to play since it's very minimalistic in its story progression, you can easily screw yourself over in the first 10 minutes but at the same time once you're giving a bit of power you're allowed to do whatever you want, I think you can even just kill every single character in the game.

it's also a game where this
is a casual sight

really wonderful stuff if you can stomach a bit of brutal base mechanics (though there are a few mods that make it a bit easier and the game doesn't lose much, I can attest of that)

also from your list a few comments:
* the blackwell series are kinda meh, the first game is pretty good but I found myself hating it as it went deeper into familiar ghost story tropes
* tlj was not my style, took way too long to take off and just ran like shit on my pc for some reason.
* gemini rue is great, you can't go wrong with it
* resonance was uh, I dunno, was kinda interesting early on but I got stuck way too many times and just didn't enjoy it
* still life has an interesting premise but not that much else going for it imo and it has like the worst puzzle in the history of puzzles. seriously fuck that robot

Acorn

Doesn't look like it. Also Sidhu, Jonah Lomu was a star like 18 years ago...but I digress.

Even if it is nothing, it is a bit of fun. I'm a sucker for things like this and "mystery games" on indie bundles.

Mind you my prize for making a badge is a wallpaper with naked babies on it...which is kind of a strange thing to have now.
Lomu is still probably the most well known worldwide. I don't watch Rugby and know about 3 players by name.

JaseC

246907-GabeNewell.jpg

I have created the following, and decidedly awful, pictorial flow chart illustrating Valve's business model:

thevalvemethodg1stc.png

(This took me twice as long as it should have because I initially saved it as a JPG and didn't realise this until after I'd closed Fireworks.)

Kevin

Did anyone buy the Rise of the Triad pack from GMG? Do you get the code for the Apogee Throwback pack right away?

See my PM. [EDIT] I'd like to point out that the OP has been spamming my inbox. I'm responding to his initiated PMs, not the other way around, since some people found this was "insulting". [/EDIT]

I'm not interested in discussing high school level business theories with a kid who thinks that losing large percentages of potential revenues from moderately to highly monetized brand-loyal customers is a "good strategy".

Business operations and marketing is not monolithic. You can pursue new customer acquisition AND customer retention. Valve is losing out on revenue by not being transparent or aggressive enough with their sales, and other companies are using that to their advantage to poach revenue.

Wok

In my opinion, the mystery trading cards, as rewards for crafting a badge, are a trick used by Valve to drive the prices of the trading cards up. We will see what is the reward for owning mystery trading cards, surely a summer badge plus additional boni.

Caerith

If Valve was losing money by providing Steam keys for Amazon and GMG to use, why would they continue to provide Steam keys for Amazon and GMG to use?

See my PM. I'm not interested in discussing high school level business theories with a kid

If you want to last here awhile you should leave this garbage at the door. I've been banned for similar language and your banning right now would be permanent because your still a junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom