• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow amazon has some sweet sales. Bioshock 1 + 2 + Infinite for 39.99! Arkham Asylum and city 11.50!

Too bad I own all of those except infinite :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lol but guess, I want a good guess please :p

mSuBzJf.png

Chronoja

Why would anyone buy a game they're not going to play? Even if it's on sale, it's a waste of money that could be saved for a better game or some unexpected preorder/Greenlit/indie game.

If anything, I'd buy games I wouldn't play only to have in my inventory

well, technically each game is worth 1 or more XP towards your steam level. Other than that its about building a collection. Not everyone who collects snes games or something will play each and every one, acquiring PC games on the steam platform, usually for really low prices is just the same thing. There's even an element of prestige in owning or somehow acquiring games that can no longer be purchased via the steam store. Not everyone will understand, most people just see "steam = store". To others, it's more than that.

inky

Why would anyone buy a game they're not going to play? Even if it's on sale, it's a waste of money that could be saved for a better game or some unexpected preorder/Greenlit/indie game.

Shhhh, don't question the way of Steam. You buy it because it is on sale, and if a better game or preorder/Greenlit/indie comes around you buy that one too.

I feel bad about the people that have 1000's of games on thier account, all those game you're going to have a play.

Luckily I played and finished most of the 220 games on my account.

Chronoja

I feel bad people that have 1000's of games on thier account, all those game you're going to have a play.

Luckily I played and finished most of the 220 games on my account.

Most people like to complain about their backlog not I though, I've completed so many games in the last month alone that it feels good. And there's so many games to go. Would you feel bad for an avid reader locked in a library? of course not, it's no different from an avid gamer with a huge backlog

Exuro

Haha, wake up today and see my federation foil sold for $5. Look at the prices and its going for under $2. I've made $10 in the past 12 hours. Now I have enough for Dust.

well, technically each game is worth 1 or more XP towards your steam level. Other than that its about building a collection. Not everyone who collects snes games or something will play each and every one, acquiring PC games on the steam platform, usually for really low prices is just the same thing. There's even an element of prestige in owning or somehow acquiring games that can no longer be purchased via the steam store. Not everyone will understand, most people just see "steam = store". To others, it's more than that.

It's not just buying a game to play it! It's a way of life and a race to the top
bottom
in seeing who can become the best servant and #1 worshipper of Lord Gaben.
#theyjustdontunderstand

JaseC

I almost forgot about this, but, it's the 4th, and not-so-surprisingly Amazon did in fact not get keys for 007 Legends and its DLC. Tony also seemingly ignored posts on CAG wondering about the matter instead of just setting the record straight, which bothers me a bit.

JaseC

Toki Tori 1 is one my favourites puzzle games ever. I tried the beta for TT2 and boy oh boy that sucked hard, but to be fair that was in december so who knows.

I e-mailed Two Tribes 2-3 weeks ago asking for a beta key and my request was indulged, but I haven't tried it just yet. I'm not even sure if the beta is still ongoing.

Edit: Oops, wasn't paying attention to what thread I was posting in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It might be SE's test launch for their uPlay equivalent. Everyone's doing it. The power of the cloud, etc. Imagine a sick guitar riff here.

Actually it's kind of the opposite of that; as I understand it (which is to say second-hand), SE was working on something like a uPlay equivalent, and the FF7 launch on their DD store was meant to be a part of building awareness for it, but since thing things have grown more tepid towards the idea internally and that's part of why this release is happening.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I almost forgot about this, but, it's the 4th, and not-so-surprisingly Amazon did in fact not get keys for 007 Legends and its DLC. Tony also seemingly ignored posts on CAG wondering about the matter instead of just setting the record straight, which bothers me a bit.

Even CAG has turned on him. Where does he go now?

mrgone

Actually it's kind of the opposite of that; as I understand it (which is to say second-hand), SE was working on something like a uPlay equivalent, and the FF7 launch on their DD store was meant to be a part of building awareness for it, but since thing things have grown more tepid towards the idea internally and that's part of why this release is happening.

Sweet - definitely happy to be wrong here. All this service stacking's getting me down, man

I e-mailed Two Tribes 2-3 weeks ago asking for a beta key and my request was indulged, but I haven't tried it just yet. I'm not even sure if the beta is still ongoing.

Edit: Oops, wasn't paying attention to what thread I was posting in.
They sent an email saying the beta expires on Wednesday (yesterday). Dunno if it still launches or anything, but you may want to try that sooner than later.

I'm planning on getting Dont Starve during the Summer Sale

I have Windows 7 and my processor is good. Only question I have is graphic specs

Minimum requirements are:
"Graphics: Radeon HD5450 or better; dedicated 256 MB or higher"

I have an Asus X401A. As a comparison, I can play the Amnesia demo at medium settings without much hiccups. Should I be able to run Dont Starve?

I have Windows 7 and my processor is good. Only question I have is graphic specs

I have an Asus X401A. As a comparison, I can play the Amnesia demo at medium settings without much hiccups. Should I be able to run Dont Starve?
Try this

But I assume you should be able to run it just fine.

JordanKZ

Trackmania 2: Valley is £15? Jeez. I'm a big fan of the TM series, but I think I'll be holding off till it comes down in price a little. Especially since TM2: Stadium just hasn't had the staying power that the original did.

I'm waiting for a sale on TWD so I can get it + DLC. I had TWD on my PS3 but I want it on PC now

I missed the 66% off on GMG by like 25 mins too :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I kinda wish level is also based on how long you've been as a member :/

It is. Every year of service is worth another badge on Years of Service and thus 50 more XP.

I'm waiting for a sale on TWD so I can get it + DLC. I had TWD on my PS3 but I want it on PC now

You missed the humble bundle where it and every other game Telltale has ever made were available for $4 total. :/

Autofokus

One of the many updates introduced a 'netbook mode' graphics option, running the game shouldn't be a problem.

Try this

But I assume you should be able to run it just fine.
Is that site a scam? Because every game I searched - Dont Starve, Amnesia, Vessel - it said I can't run, didn't meet the minimum requirements and needed to buy or download stuff. Yet I know for a fact that I can run Vessel just fine cause I'm three hours in and I can run Amnesia on medium

One of the many updates introduced a 'netbook mode' graphics option, running the game shouldn't be a problem.
Awesome. Thanks for the info

So, I saw the lightning struck this morning and been out of Internet ever since. They will probably not fix it until Monday at earliest, so I'm tethering from my phone to get a connection but it has cap, so is there a way to prevent Steam from automatically update games? Like an on/off switch across the board, and not having to go through every single game individually and turn automatic updates off just in case?

justjim89

So, there's a pretty good chance the Summer Sale starts today, isn't there? I recall the tweet from that game dev not to buy any of their games just yet. But with it being a Holiday, is there anyone at Valve to flip the switch and start the sale and what not?

I know no one really has any answers. Just thinking out loud.

Nabs

So, I saw the lightning struck this morning and been out of Internet ever since. They will probably not fix it until Monday at earliest, so I'm tethering from my phone to get a connection but it has cap, so is there a way to prevent Steam from automatically update games? Like an on/off switch across the board, and not having to go through every single game individually and turn automatic updates off just in case?

offline mode? use web chat to talk with friends.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

If anything, I'd buy games I wouldn't play only to have in my inventory
Because it's on sale for a really cheap price, and you might want to play it someday.

Basically, if you pass that unique* opportunity, you're practically stealing** from the devs!

*: it's unique until the next time it goes on sale, which could be any time period from 2 weeks to 4 years.
**: and don't ever let me see you buying used games, you filthy pirate!

I have a question about the Steam Card Exchange Bot. It shows me "You can only store 10 Credits, you will lose 90 Credits! You got 10 seconds more!"

Why can I only store 10 credits?

Joe Molotov

So, there's a pretty good chance the Summer Sale starts today, isn't there? I recall the tweet from that game dev not to buy any of their games just yet. But with it being a Holiday, is there anyone at Valve to flip the switch and start the sale and what not?

I know no one really has any answers. Just thinking out loud.

No.

Two questions:
1) If I bought a new laptop, my game would carry over right? They're linked to my account or my computer?

2) If I delete a game from my library, can I re-install it? Need to free up some space

baconcow

I have an Android and you can cap internet usage. You could always set the cap at X amount there and then when it is hit, turn off whatever caused the usage. Also, you can just have Steam not update by keeping it in offline mode.

Divius

Two questions:
1) If I bought a new laptop, my game would carry over right? They're linked to my account or my computer?

2) If I delete a game from my library, can I re-install it? Need to free up some space
Yes linked to account, Yes you can reinstall.

Turfster

Two questions:

Yes, games are account linked.
You can redownload them as many times as you want, even games that have been taken off steam by the publisher (in most cases).

baconcow

Two questions:

Yes to both. Your account brings all games with it. But, you can only be logged in on one place at a time, from my experience. You can always uninstall and reinstall. Or, use a program called Steam Mover to move games to and from external HDD or from an SSD to HDD. It is much faster than uninstalling and reinstalling and lower spec. requirement games can still be played on slower HDD's without any issue.

Two questions:

1. Yes if it has cloud supported saves but just in case get GameSave Manager it's free allows you to back up all types of game saves and has a database that is constantly updated. A must for any PC gamer.

2. Yes.

Activision no longer has the rights to James Bond. They might not be able to generate more keys per contract.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You missed the humble bundle where it and every other game Telltale has ever made were available for $4 total. :/
Not every game. I'm still waiting for a cheap Jurassic Park and Tales of Monkey Island (have the latter on WiiWare, but it runs like shit).

I have an Android and you can cap internet usage. You could always set the cap at X amount there and then when it is hit, turn off whatever caused the usage. Also, you can just have Steam not update by keeping it in offline mode.
Thanks, I guess that has to do it for now. I want to avoid offline mode if it's possible though.

Hopefully the Steam sales won't start today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom