• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
So seems we are heading towards a Cardconomy, right? (Was this term coined already?)

Wondering if card prices will go below the $0.10 mark for common stuff...

Also, been out for nearly a week and outside of Yatagarasu I didn't check much. Did I miss anything Steam-wise? Loads of stuff appears to have been release this week, far more than the usual!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
OMG VALLEY IS UP

I thought it wouldn't come out for another few months!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I never played FF7 and always wanted to get into it. Graphics are not a huge concern for me but paying 12 bucks for a game this old leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Might just wait for an eventual sale.

InertiaXr

OMG VALLEY IS UP

I thought it wouldn't come out for another few months!

Is Valley basically the rally tileset/car handling model, or is that going to be a different release in the future? A 'Valley' sounds like basically a 'Canyon' but with a forest in it instead of in a desert, so this pricing structure is feeling a little funky...

derExperte

So BLEED is $4.49 on Steam but only $3 on 360. Does the Steam version have any new content? Because if it's the same, I'd rather save my precious Steam $$ and use my few remaining MS points

There's a chance the game will get cards which you could sell for Steam money and end up having saved $ compared to the 360. Or not.

kswiston

I never played FF7 and always wanted to get into it. Graphics are not a huge concern for me but paying 12 bucks for a game this old leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Might just wait for an eventual sale.

I'm sure it will be $6 or less during the winter sale. I'm holding off as well. Mainly because I have the game on PSN (and PS1 hard copy) already. I'll probably pick it up during an eventual $3-4 sale.

That said, the game shot right to the top of the Steam sales chart, so obviously a lot of people are more than happy to pay the asking price.

SuperHans

Turned on Alan Wake there to get the cards for it and realized I hadn't played the last two special chapters. It's like Valve knew people weren't playing their games so came up with another incentive. Since you can just sell the cards, they are kind of paying you to play.

Dice

Is Valley basically the rally tileset/car handling model, or is that going to be a different release in the future? A 'Valley' sounds like basically a 'Canyon' but with a forest in it instead of in a desert, so this pricing structure is feeling a little funky...
Yes, that is it. Canyon is $20 so I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think it is too much? Aside from the fact their new engine is really nice and they do great work, they have the best time trials competition platform of all time (I haven't tried Shootmania but I'm guessing that is pretty nice as well?). Something has to pay for those servers and fund the next expansions of the platform.

It's 17,99€ while Stadium is 9,99€. I totally don't get their pricing strategy.
Stadium is basically just TrackMania Nations Forever, an old, free game, brought onto their new platform and with improved graphics. A lot of people felt even $10 was too much.

Tak3n

Banned
Yes, that is it. Canyon is $20 so I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think it is too much? Aside from the fact their new engine is really nice and they do great work, they have the best time trials competition platform of all time (I haven't tried Shootmania but I'm guessing that is pretty nice as well?). Something has to pay for those servers and fund the next expansions of the platform.

I have Stadium and Canyon, the problem I always have with Canyon is to me it always seems who can drift the best

so I personally prefer the much shorter tracks of stadium

derExperte

Yes, that is it. Canyon is $20 so I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think it is too much? Aside from the fact their new engine is really nice and they do great work, they have the best time trials competition platform of all time (I haven't tried Shootmania but I'm guessing that is pretty nice as well?

Have they changed how official times work since Canyon? There you had to wait a few minutes everytime before you could race 'officially' in the single player mode which I hated.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Was there some kind of update to Source engine games? HL/Portal/Etc all have updates and they want me to convert them to more efficient formats?

Anyone else get that?

Dice

I have Stadium and Canyon, the problem I always have with Canyon is to me it always seems who can drift the best

so I personally prefer the much shorter tracks of stadium
Drifting is my cocaine, so naturally rally is like the official sport of technical drifting and I wanted it in Trackmania. Canyon is mostly road drifting, more like the Ridge Racer concept, which is not as fun to me, but still pretty cool. I've been playing GRID2 which has a hell of a lot of drifting, but it's kind of in a weird zone where it doesn't know what it wants to be. Trackmania team seems to have a good sense of precisely where they want their model to be in the realm of technical arcade racing models.

Overall, I know it's not for everyone. Time trials in itself relies on the player enjoying the process of exploring different approaches to different turns and pushing the limits of their abilities to figure out what can be successful and what is just too risky. For me it isn't about my ranking, but just that feeling when I fly through a turn exactly right, feeling like my car is doing exactly what my mind wanted. I guess some people get the same feel from landing headshots in shooters.

Getting the best time is like a puzzle game put on top of that. Like if I get enough knowledge and skill to expertly handle my car on the track, I can successfully execute plans, so then it is a matter of figuring out which plan results in the best time. Racing knowledge helps figure this out faster, but every series of turns has its own quirks to figure out. Seeing the shadow runs of how top players approached a track (usually very different despite similar times) is interesting.

Have they changed how official times work since Canyon? There you had to wait a few minutes everytime before you could race 'officially' in the single player mode which I hated.
It is that way in Stadium. I'm not sure I agree with the notion behind it, since the notion is ambiguous.

If it is intended to eliminate a fluke run, the mere elimination of chances wouldn't change the percentage of flukes that occur, right? But then perhaps the mental state of "okay, this time it's for real" puts pressure on a person so only mastery rather than luck will factor on that run. Maybe they did real analysis on this before they put the system in place, I don't know, but however it went it does seem like a difficult thing to determine.

Then again, it may just be for something entirely practical, like reducing server load. If that is the only way to feasibly have this sort of global competition and leaderboards running smoothly, I don't mind at all. I can see this being the case, especially since it loads the shadow car data for the top players on a track, which plays as you decide whether to pick rivals or not. I imagine keeping that updated in real-time would be a huge server burden, especially early on when times are constantly being beat.

73V3N

Banned
I have 3 coupons:

66% off for Serious Sam 3.
50% off for Magicka.
25% off for Zeno Clash 2.

and also 2 1 Killing Floor guest pass (Idk if those expire)

quote/PM me if you want any of those.

Sober

GOG has some great deals, none of them are Steam redeemable right?
A few of the devs who sell directly from Humble Bundle usually price match directly on their site (like FTL, Defender's Quest). You get a Steam key and a DRM free download in this instance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are you saying king of fighters 98 / 2002 will be coming on Steam and will have online play?

I'm saying those are the things still listed in the list of goodies. I have no idea why they are listed there, if they'll be released, what featureset, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom