• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMERG0D

I bought TWD: 400 Days instead of FFVII. Didn't notice that the SE DRM requires you to be always online, right before I hit the final checkout page too.

Thanks GMG, for giving me 7 pages of checkout processes so I can review my decisions.
FF VII is not always on. I think you sign in every time though. When I played the SE store version I was able to play when I lost connection.

FF VII is not always on. I think you sign in every time though. When I played the SE store version I was able to play when I lost connection.

Because I'm mostly full of shit and can't resist a sale...I just purchased it despite saying I wouldn't because of the DRM.

I'll run some tests.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Okay I have a mental problem:
MBinnK2.jpg

All of these are unplayed point and click adventures I have on Steam. I also probably have 20 or 30 unplayed PnCs off Steam. (A few of them I played a long time ago like The Dig). Any recommendations?
This may be a stupid question, but how the heck do you make maps in steam like that? :/

I must say, that's one incredible list of adventures!
I'd say, go play Sam & Max Season 1. It's one of those games that got me me into Adventures, next to Freddy Fish, and gaming as a hobby in general. Reality 2.0 is a my favorite of the bunch.
And Monkey Island's alway's a good choice. :p

Started The Longest Journey a while back. Incredible adventure so far, and it really lives up to it's name.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Log-in" rather than "play" bodes well. Mind you, requiring a persistent connection and needing to sign in to play aren't far removed.

Milamber

Okay. Now connect on first launch, exit the game, disconnect internet and try launching again.

I was so hoping that this game would be on my growing "Steam Laptop Travel Games" list.

TheD

The Detective
I wonder what kind of idiot decides to put shitty DRM on a 15-16 year old game that has been pirated for years.

GAMERG0D

Doesn't the PC version also have inferior music quality? Why would anyone want to play that version.
It's not technologically inferior IIRC, but many believe it's musically inferior to the PSone version. Could be a nostalgia factor I guess. You can always replace the sound files anyway. The main issue with the re-release is the need to log in every time, which is an issue for many.

Ok so after making a new gmail address, I was able to log into the game.

From here I could play it, quit out and disable my internet connection. I was then able to launch the game again and play without a problem.

So, it seems to be a one time login. Just how long it lets you play for without going back online isn't clear.

TheD

The Detective
It's not technologically inferior IIRC, but many believe it's musically inferior to the PSone version. Could be a nostalgia factor I guess. You can always replace the sound files anyway. The main issue with the re-release is the need to log in every time, which is an issue for many.

It is not nostalgia, the PC version comes with mixed down versions of the PC General MIDI soundtrack instead of the studio versions of the tracks.

Chronoja

I see even Neo-gaf is not safe from the spelling police, or in this case the puncuation police

eh? they are replying to the post "who would of thought"

" would've"

i.e. he / she would have thought that.

if not...well...don't mind me then.

JaseC

From here I could play it, quit out and disable my internet connection. I was then able to launch the game again and play without a problem.

So, it seems to be a one time login. Just how long it lets you play for without going back online isn't clear.

7777 minutes.

Thieve

Neo Member

I wonder if setting your clock forward a few weeks/months would trigger it, haha.

Thank you, great news. I hope it's just an "activate once" type of deal with no licence limit, I could deal with that and it would make it easier to bite at 13€, not exactly the sweet spot for a game that old even if it is that good. (8 bucks would be nice ! But alas no sale :()

I wonder if setting your clock forward a few weeks/months would trigger it, haha.

I changed it to 2020 and could still play the game. Note that I also can't find securom.

I suppose than if you can put up with it's DRM to and never reinstall, than you dont have a lot to loose by buying the game.

So if I'm understanding the only way to earn XP is through cards/badges and NOT achievements? If that is the case what is the point of even having achievements?

JaseC

Steam's Offline Mode recently had an issue where if you didn't use Steam for two weeks it'd claim there was no log-in info. You could test this yourself by switching to OM, exiting Steam, and setting your clock forward two weeks.

Milamber

Thank you, great news. I hope it's just an "activate once" type of deal with no licence limit, I could deal with that and it would make it easier to bite at 13€, not exactly the sweet spot for a game that old even if it is that good. (8 bucks would be nice ! But alas no sale :()

Buy it on GMG with a 10% off code: GMG10-VTTCS-VYH18. It's Steam-redeemable.

Dawg

So if I'm understanding the only way to earn XP is through cards/badges and NOT achievements? If that is the case what is the point of even having achievements?

Achievements existed long before the cards though.

Why do trophies exist? Why do xbox achievements exist? I gotta admit it's better handled on PSN where you get xp for trophies though.

Also, people hack achievements on steam.

Achievements existed long before the cards though.

Why do trophies exist? Why do xbox achievements exist? I gotta admit it's better handled on PSN where you get xp for achievements though.

Yeah, I know they were around before I'm just saying we should get XP to gain lvls like on console too

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I laughed at the spoilered achievement. There has to be a statute of limitations for spoilers, lol.
No, there hasn't.

[EDIT] The conversation is over. No one cares.

Rather than you shit up the thread with a discussion that got old pages ago, why don't you just PM me your exhaustive points on Lord Gaben and I'll reply back when I feel like it.
I miss HolyBaikal. At least he wasn't an asshole to the people he disagreed with.

Recall

Square DRM for an old yet popular game makes as much sense as them charging $25 for iOS games.

Was there any justification for the DRM or is it just an anti piracy thing?

Dawg

Yeah, I know they were around before I'm just saying we should get XP to gain lvls like on console too

Well, you only get xp on PSN. XBL just sums up all your points.

And like I said, steam achievements are not that hard to hack apparently. I think Valve just doesn't care that much about them.

JaseC

When the Portal 2 early release ARG was wrapping up, I was worried that whatever Valve had in store as a reward for those who had managed to squirrel away all 36 potatoes wouldn't be given to those who had used another person's save to help them with the task (something easily determined at Valve's end since a whole bunch of achievements would have unlocked at precisely the same time). Fortunately, though, that didn't happen.

Dawg

Well, Valve should handle their achievements better. Maybe give 100 xp if you get ALL achievements for a game (and make it so people can't hack it)

I mean, completing an entire game is much harder than AFKing to get cards. You also, ehm, actually play the game.

Well, Valve should handle their achievements better. Maybe give 100 xp if you get ALL achievements for a game (and make it so people can't hack it)

I mean, completing an entire game is much harder than AFKing to get cards. You also, ehm, actually play the game.
The easy exploitation was one reason to not use them as an incentive, but another was that most games just have terribly designed achievements. I honestly like Steam's take on achievements, they're there but not given much focus; it's something for the people who actually like them but pretty easy to ignore if you don't.

I miss HolyBaikal. At least he wasn't an asshole to the people he disagreed with.
He will return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom