• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a member here for quite some time but only ever lurked. I enjoy reading this thread and I want to show some appreciation so here are some game codes. Quote to reveal, please post if you've taken one.

Humble Indie Bundle #1 Gone
Humble Indie Bundle #2 Gone
Humble Indie Bundle #3 Gone
Aquaria
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Bioshock
Broken Sword: Director's Cut Gone
Cave Story+ Gone
Cogs
Cortex Command
Fractal Gone
Frozen Synapse
Gish Gone
Legend of Grimrock Gone
McPixel
Nightsky
SpaceChem
Waking Mars
Zen Bound 2 Gone

You can also add me to your friends list if you like. My profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/botlite/

How exactly can I use one of these keys? I just go to Games/ Activate Product on Steam and follow the prompts? Because Ive been trying to do this with ANY code THE VERY FIRST MINUTE that they get posted in here, and they always turn out to be already activated on another account... am I doing something wrong, or am I just too damn slow? :/

How exactly can I use one of these keys? I just go to Games/ Activate Product on Steam and follow the prompts? Because Ive been trying to do this with ANY code THE VERY FIRST MINUTE that they get posted in here, and they always turn out to be already activated on another account... am I doing something wrong, or am I just too damn slow? :/

You're just slow. Some people just aren't human.

I've been a member here for quite some time but only ever lurked. I enjoy reading this thread and I want to show some appreciation so here are some game codes. Quote to reveal, please post if you've taken one.
Bioshock was already taken. Still quite nice of you.

Okay, so I'm playing the HL2 demo, on Chapter 1 Point Insertion. I'm at the part after you get outside the train station, climb a ladder and enter an alley with a slide and playground. There are two guys on right talking, two Combine at the far end blocking a doorway, and an open doorway to the left.

I enter the doorway, walk down a hallway, enter another door and enter a dark room. Nowhere to go. Reload, try again, same thing

I look online. There's supposed to be a room with stairs leading upstairs. It's not loading for me. Any way to rectify this?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't forget the time I was browsing through some random Steam related forums (had just started to use it, it was exactly a year ago) and I stumbled upon a Just Cause 2 key openly posted on one of them. I was at work at the time, so I took my chances and downloaded the Steam client, logged in and tried to redeem the key. You can imagine my surprise when it showed me the "Activation successful" screen! Mind you, I had less than 5 Steam games at that time (and I dare to say it was my 2nd one, after buying Max Payne 3 from Amazon), so my library suddenly increased in a considerable percentage.

I then proceeded to make an account there just to thank the guy who posted it. Never visited it again, but at least I thanked him.

Moral of the story: FUCK YOU LURKERS WHO DON'T THANK THE PEOPLE THAT GIVE AWAY THE GAMES YOU TAKE. If I took the time to create an account on a forum just to do so, then you can definitely spare 5 seconds and post "Thank you for X game", especially when you already have a GAF account in the first place. FUCK YOU IF YOU DON'T SAY THANKS.

73V3N

Banned
I still can't forget the time I was browsing through some random Steam related forums (had just started to use it, it was exactly a year ago) and I stumbled upon a Just Cause 2 key openly posted on one of them. I was at work at the time, so I took my chances and downloaded the Steam client, logged in and tried to redeem the key. You can imagine my surprise when it showed me the "Activation successful" screen! Mind you, I had less than 5 Steam games at that time (and I dare to say it was my 2nd one, after buying Max Payne 3 from Amazon), so my library suddenly increased in a considerable percentage.

I then proceeded to make an account there just to thank the guy who posted it. Never visited it again, but at least I thanked him.

Moral of the story: FUCK YOU LURKERS WHO DON'T THANK THE PEOPLE THAT GIVE AWAY THE GAMES YOU TAKE. If I took the time to create an account on a forum just to do so, then you can definitely spare 5 seconds and post "Thank you for X game", especially when you already have a GAF account in the first place. FUCK YOU IF YOU DON'T SAY THANKS.

You are awesome for doing that (registering) only to say thanks and I agree with you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If the Steamkit API that's used to make the various trading bots supports redeeming codes--and I'm not sure why it wouldn't other than them not having programmed it to yet, because it basically is a Steam client emulator for all intents and purposes--it would be possible to write a script that refreshes GAF, reddit, SPUF (places where keys might reasonably appear) and automatically redeems them the second they're posting.

Which means that at some point, someone is going to have to write a secure giveaway setup that has the convenience of something like posting it in here without having to deal with PMs and separate accounts and stuff but has a little more security. That would be an interesting project.

Repeating this again, cause it's getting really annoying
Okay, so I'm playing the HL2 demo, on Chapter 1 Point Insertion. I'm at the part after you get outside the train station, climb a ladder and enter an alley with a slide and playground. There are two guys on right talking, two Combine at the far end blocking a doorway, and an open doorway to the left.

I enter the doorway, walk down a hallway, enter another door and enter a dark room. Nowhere to go. Reload, try again, same thing

I look online. There's supposed to be a room with stairs leading upstairs. It's not loading for me. Any way to rectify this?

And if I'm not going to play TF2, is The Orange Box worth it? Are the episodes just as good as the main HL2? And although I played Portal 2, I never played the first. Is it still good compared to the sequel?

Edit: if I had HL2 and Portal, I could do that crazy Portal gun in Half Life mod, right? If so, definitely getting the Orange Box

Cth

And if I'm not going to play TF2, is The Orange Box worth it? Are the episodes just as good as the main HL2? And although I played Portal 2, I never played the first. Is it still good compared to the sequel?

Edit: if I had HL2 and Portal, I could do that crazy Portal gun in Half Life mod, right? If so, definitely getting the Orange Box

Best advice would be to go to youtube and watch walkthroughs to see exactly where you're not going. Text walkthroughs can be confusing. Video and walkthroughs containing pictures will help a lot.

botlite

Orange box is definitely worth it. HL2 episodes are better then the base game IMO.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
If the Steamkit API that's used to make the various trading bots supports redeeming codes--and I'm not sure why it wouldn't other than them not having programmed it to yet, because it basically is a Steam client emulator for all intents and purposes--it would be possible to write a script that refreshes GAF, reddit, SPUF (places where keys might reasonably appear) and automatically redeems them the second they're posting.

Which means that at some point, someone is going to have to write a secure giveaway setup that has the convenience of something like posting it in here without having to deal with PMs and separate accounts and stuff but has a little more security. That would be an interesting project.

Where can I find this trading bots? Do they trade 1:1?

Sober

So what you're saying is the email tag is not enough?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So what you're saying is the email tag is not enough?

I'm saying that the email tag results in typically a bunch of lurkers snatching up keys with no sense of accountability at all, no tag results in a bunch of lurkers who don't even have accounts snatching up keys with no sense of accountability at all, and saying "please PM me for codes" makes it hard to give away stuff. Giveaway sites require separate accounts and are an even bigger hassle. So there's no solution... yet... that both fairly gives out keys and makes the process easy.

Salsa

I'm saying that the email tag results in typically a bunch of lurkers snatching up keys with no sense of accountability at all, whereas saying "please PM me for codes" makes it hard to give away stuff. Giveaway sites require separate accounts and are an even bigger hassle.

i'd say rework the whole neogaf structure to find a way to do this properly. close the forum for 10 days while you work that out

during the sales

LOL I've played HL2 so many times that I even know every single loading spot. After you enter the apartment building the game was supposed to load the next area in that hallway before you reach the door. Try going through that part again and see if it works this time. If it doesnt then try verifying the integrity of the game cahce.

right click on game in library>properties>local files>verify integrity of game cache

Freezard

Wow someone really put out Mystery Card Foil for 0.70€. What the hell.

RB8O4Cb.jpg

Thieve

Neo Member
I'm saying that the email tag results in typically a bunch of lurkers snatching up keys with no sense of accountability at all, no tag results in a bunch of lurkers who don't even have accounts snatching up keys with no sense of accountability at all, and saying "please PM me for codes" makes it hard to give away stuff. Giveaway sites require separate accounts and are an even bigger hassle. So there's no solution... yet... that both fairly gives out keys and makes the process easy.

A solution could maybe be an admin run bot that has its own account/thread. Simply PM it what you have to giveaway (and how long it should be open). In the OP is a list of active giveaways and the hosts of said giveaway, you simply reply to the thread with the number to enter. The host of the giveaway then gets a pm later with who won so they can deal with the exchange.

I don't know vbulletin that well, so I don't know how cleanly it could be done. But it's just a thought.

Maybe the mods or people who run the site could set up an established sharing system

Like the poster giving away keys can attach a password or something to the key and the people who want the key have to ask for the password to reveal the key?

So like I'm offering Bioshock. I make the password QWERTY. So if you click on the game, it asks for the password. You enter the password, given to you by the sharer, and it reveals the key

Would be more time consuming though. Anyone else like that idea?

Salsa

Wow someone really put out Mystery Card Foil for 0.70€. What the hell.

RB8O4Cb.jpg

the fact that the people who have it are selling it for $40 or something doesnt mean it's selling

highest it sold was about $15 apparently and it's been in decline since

Cynar

Can't be quoted enough.

Decent of you to do that.

When I've been gifting lately I've just been going through my steam friends and seeing if anybody "wishes" for the game (hint). If nobody wants it or it is from a $1 bundle or something I don't really mind if it is grabbed by a mystery grabber.

DRG

Neo Member
Would now be a good time to jump on the Left 4 Dead bundle or will it go even cheaper during the Summer Sale?

Checked some youtube walkthroughs for the demo and it looks like that is where part 1 of the demo ends. Sorry never played the demo so I had no idea that it ends there. Looks like it didnt end properly for you.

The next section of the demo you get to play is set in Ravenholm.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah I really think the best way to give away is to list the available games, say that first reply for each gets that game, and then you PM that code to them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Imagine the following setup:

1) You PM <an account> (which would be automated/robot-driven) a list of codes, say in the following format:
Binding of Isaac -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Bad Rats -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKM
Skyrim -- CCCC-DDDD-EEEE

2) You get back a pre-formatted post--or maybe the robot makes the post for you in a thread:
I am giving away some games. To claim the games (one maximum per person), send a PM to <that account> with the code for the game you want:
Binding of Isaac -- 949f10f9e4a42aada8
Bad Rats -- 8bcbce570a531d
Skyrim -- b33e16e512772

3) I'm reading the thread and I see the giveaway. I click the link to send the PM to the account and copy in the code I want. If I ignore the rules and greedily send 3 PMs, I am disqualified from getting anything. If I don't ignore the rules, I get a PM back within 2-3 minutes with my Steam Key, the reply is handled by the robot.

4) The person who gives the stuff away optionally gets a "receipt" PM with the list of people who claimed each game, so you could specifically request that people send you a thank you for follow up on it.

Bonus: It'd be pretty easy to put in certain rules, like being able to:
- block users who have a 0 postcount (or say sub-25 posts--a token block just to prevent true hucksters)
- block users who have been awarded a giveaway in the last few weeks to prevent serial key-stealers
- block specific users
- require that the person has posted in the thread in the last week (or something like that)

So maybe your initial PM would be:
Binding of Isaac -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Bad Rats -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKM
Skyrim -- CCCC-DDDD-EEEE
RECEIPT
NOLURKERS
NOGREEDY

... and the format stuff would be more flexible (you could have a different delimiter or just mystery keys or whatever), you could also have anonymous mystery games to maximize the Secret of the Magic Crystals giveaway, you could be an anonymous benefactor and have the robot take the credit for the games. It'd be pretty easy to make a robust system.

Yeah I really think the best way to give away is to list the available games, say that first reply for each gets that game, and then you PM that code to them.

Floods the thread, which is super annoying, and requires a lot of work on the part of the giver awayer

Turfster

Some sort of [GIFT][/GIFT] tag would work, if it hooked up to a database and turned each tag into a separate button you could click. The buttons only turn into the key if the account clicking it hasn't clicked one in let's say 10 minutes or whatever. Could also store the nick of the one that got it, and maybe a counter that tells you how many gifts they've taken recently.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Of course the server databases are already groaning under the weight, so...

Vecks

Wow someone really put out Mystery Card Foil for 0.70&#8364;. What the hell.

RB8O4Cb.jpg

Wow someone took a screenshot instead of buying it
and reselling it
Unless of course, they tried to buy it... and failed... so they decided to recapture the moment.

BadAss2961

I'm convinced that lurkers without accounts have found a way to expose tags and see the hidden codes.

Freezard

Wow someone took a screenshot instead of buying it
and reselling it
Unless of course, they tried to buy it... and failed... so they decided to recapture the moment.

I did a search then went to read this thread, so obviously I knew it was gone by then D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom