• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

dota 2 market truly makes no sense

ib04NaVz7MO6ec.PNG
ibam1bzJGTzAq7.PNG

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What are the odds Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition gets discounted during the Summer sale?

:(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine the following setup:

1) You PM <an account> (which would be automated/robot-driven) a list of codes, say in the following format:
Binding of Isaac -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Bad Rats -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKM
Skyrim -- CCCC-DDDD-EEEE

2) You get back a pre-formatted post--or maybe the robot makes the post for you in a thread:
I am giving away some games. To claim the games (one maximum per person), send a PM to <that account> with the code for the game you want:
Binding of Isaac -- 949f10f9e4a42aada8
Bad Rats -- 8bcbce570a531d
Skyrim -- b33e16e512772

3) I'm reading the thread and I see the giveaway. I click the link to send the PM to the account and copy in the code I want. If I ignore the rules and greedily send 3 PMs, I am disqualified from getting anything. If I don't ignore the rules, I get a PM back within 2-3 minutes with my Steam Key, the reply is handled by the robot.

4) The person who gives the stuff away optionally gets a "receipt" PM with the list of people who claimed each game, so you could specifically request that people send you a thank you for follow up on it.

Bonus: It'd be pretty easy to put in certain rules, like being able to:
- block users who have a 0 postcount (or say sub-25 posts--a token block just to prevent true hucksters)
- block users who have been awarded a giveaway in the last few weeks to prevent serial key-stealers
- block specific users
- require that the person has posted in the thread in the last week (or something like that)

So maybe your initial PM would be:
Binding of Isaac -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Bad Rats -- ABCD-EFGH-IJKM
Skyrim -- CCCC-DDDD-EEEE
RECEIPT
NOLURKERS
NOGREEDY

... and the format stuff would be more flexible (you could have a different delimiter or just mystery keys or whatever), you could also have anonymous mystery games to maximize the Secret of the Magic Crystals giveaway, you could be an anonymous benefactor and have the robot take the credit for the games. It'd be pretty easy to make a robust system.
This is great stuff. If this could be implemented here, that would be the tits.

Zia

Wow someone really put out Mystery Card Foil for 0.70€. What the hell.

RB8O4Cb.jpg

I spend like ten minutes a day playing with the Market and I've seen this several times, where someone will accidentally list a foil at whatever price the standard card is going for. I've managed to grab two, and I felt kind of guilty, like maybe the person will realize their mistake and quickly pull the listing, but people are so fast. It'd be like stepping on a ten dollar bill on a crowded street and leaving it there so the person who lost it can come back and claim it, when in reality the person walking right behind you is going to scoop that shit up.

Forkball

Those cents must be adding up big time.

That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry keeps getting residual checks for like 12 cents.

It's amazing how fast these things sell. Often it takes mere seconds. I'm just farming cards to turn into free games.

Imagine the following setup:
Awesome idea. My suggestion was very similar
Maybe the mods or people who run the site could set up an established sharing system

Like the poster giving away keys can attach a password or something to the key and the people who want the key have to ask for the password to reveal the key?

So like I'm offering Bioshock. I make the password QWERTY. So if you click on the game, it asks for the password. You enter the password, given to you by the sharer, and it reveals the key

Would be more time consuming though. Anyone else like that idea?
I think a password/passcode system would be the best

How likely is it that something like could be implemented?

HoosTrax

For those people complaining about not getting booster packs today -- I thought the chance of getting one was related to your Steam level. No idea if the people who aren't getting the boosters are just low level or not.

Thieve

Neo Member
For those people complaining about not getting booster packs today -- I thought the chance of getting one was related to your Steam level. No idea if the people who aren't getting the boosters are just low level or not.

Anyone can get them, it's just the higher the level you are, the higher the chance is.

Edit: which is exactly what you said :x.

Freezard

I spend like ten minutes a day playing with the Market and I've seen this several times, where someone will accidentally list a foil at whatever price the standard card is going for. I've managed to grab two, and I felt kind of guilty, like maybe the person will realize their mistake and quickly pull the listing, but people are so fast. It'd be like stepping on a ten dollar bill on a crowded street and leaving it there so the person who lost it can come back and claim it, when in reality the person walking right behind you is going to scoop that shit up.

Well, frankly, it's their own fault, so there's no reason to feel guilt. I mean when you click on a card you will see what they've been selling for so I'm not even sure how they mix the price up with a non-foil card other than if they manually go to the market to check the prices.

Ezra2680

The idea about the bot sounds cool, but wouldn't it be easier to include the code in the email tag, but add some extra characters that are obviously not correct to humans, but will confuse bots? So if you had a Bio Shock key that looks like AB4R1-45T7L-Q0RD1 just add something like 11111-AB4R1-45T7L-Q0RD1, people here will probably know 11111 wouldn't be in a code, but it could confuse a bot. And so it couldn't easily be coded for, put it any where. Or something like AB4R1-45T7L-FAKEC-Q0RD1

dxhc99

I've been a member here for quite some time but only ever lurked. I enjoy reading this thread and I want to show some appreciation so here are some game codes. Quote to reveal, please post if you've taken one.

Humble Indie Bundle #1 Gone
Humble Indie Bundle #2 Gone
Humble Indie Bundle #3 Gone
Aquaria Gone
Avadon: The Black Fortress Gone
Bioshock Gone
Broken Sword: Director's Cut Gone
Cave Story+ Gone
Cogs
Cortex Command Gone
Fractal Gone
Frozen Synapse Gone
Gish Gone
Legend of Grimrock Gone
McPixel Gone
Nightsky
SpaceChem Gone
Waking Mars
Zen Bound 2 Gone

You can also add me to your friends list if you like. My profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/botlite/

Waking Mars is gone. Someone decided to be sneaky,

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hello, I am the NeoGAF Steam Key Gifting Bot BETA.

To begin, simply PM me your keys and I'll take care of the rest.

Please direct all questions about the nature and operations of the Gifting Bot inward, as true wisdom comes from within.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The idea about the bot sounds cool, but wouldn't it be easier to include the code in the email tag, but add some extra characters that are obviously not correct to humans, but will confuse bots? So if you had a Bio Shock key that looks like AB4R1-45T7L-Q0RD1 just add something like 11111-AB4R1-45T7L-Q0RD1, people here will probably know 11111 wouldn't be in a code, but it could confuse a bot. And so it couldn't easily be coded for, put it any where. Or something like AB4R1-45T7L-FAKEC-Q0RD1

The problem isn't just bots stealing keys though.

Problems:
- People who have accounts but never post can give keys
- One person can grab a lot of the keys in one go
- The same people who F5 the thread all the time can get a key every time someone gives stuff away
- Almost no one says thank you, and the giver-awayer almost never knows who their stuff goes to
- Any system that defeats these problems requires an exhaustive amount of effort.

Joe Molotov

Please direct all questions about the nature and operations of the Gifting Bot inward, as true wisdom comes from within.

One (1) Bad Rats key in exchange for a One (1) Mortal Kombat 9 key, plz keybot.

Problems:
- The same people who F5 the thread all the time can get a key every time someone gives stuff away
- Almost no one says thank you, and the giver-awayer almost never knows who their stuff goes to
- Any system that defeats these problems requires an exhaustive amount of effort.
What about the password/pass code systems mentioned on the last few pages? A password is attached to a key by the sharer and the poster who wants to key has to ask for the password to reveal the key? Or something to that effect

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My computer clock is malfunctioning lately (maybe due to the CMOS battery running out), and it was showing a time that was 12 hours before the real one. So I Alt+Tabbed from BioShock to the desktop in order to change it, and because I left the game running while I did that, now Steam thinks I spent 19 hours in that game, while it's actually between 6 and 7.

I don't know why it bothers me, since I had no problem idling for cards on some games. But when I'm genuinely playing something, I want the time tracker to be accurate.

Here, have this Valve Employee Account Pass.

Problems:
The best solution (though it would be the most time-consuming) would be rebooting society as a whole, and breeding a human race that's not full of ungrateful bastards. Seriously people, is it so hard to say "thanks for the game"? (by "people" I mean the ones who don't thank the gifter, of course.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What about the password/pass code systems mentioned on the last few pages? A password is attached to a key by the sharer and the poster who wants to key has to ask for the password to reveal the key? Or something to that effect

Sorry, I feel like I'm going in circles here.

Right now you have two options to give away keys:
- A system that is convenient but not fair
- A system that is fair but not convenient

The only ways to make a system that is fair and convenient are:
- To make a bot with a GAF account that can be used and is easy to get the results you want from -- this is feasible hint hint I'm doing this right now.
- To modify vBulletin to insert that functionality directly -- this is not feasible because a) server load issues and b) programming requirements (GAF does not have an on-staff programmer, vBulletin may or may not have a plugin that does it, I can tell you right now that the Big Cheese won't want to invest resources into this).

Sober

Pretty much. People should just be more decent and thank whoever spit out the keys and let others that they took one. Oh, and not decide to steal them in mass quantities just to give them away somewhere else.

zkylon

zkylewd
if you want to be honest I guess there's nothing stopping you from giving it back to the guy you bought it from. like, you can ask him for your 70c back if you want, even, it'd be fair.

Ezra2680

This would just add an extra unneeded step. If you are going to have to message someone a password anyways, why not just message them the key.

zkylon

zkylewd
The best solution (though it would be the most time-consuming) would be rebooting society as a whole, and breeding a human race that's not full of ungrateful bastards. Seriously people, is it so hard to say "thanks for the game"? (by "people" I mean the ones who don't thank the gifter, of course.)
I don't have time for gratitude, I'm busy reselling your shitty ass keys

Prelithe

- To make a bot with a GAF account that can be used and is easy to get the results you want from -- this is feasible hint hint I'm doing this right now.

Seems like it'll be more efficient to have a separate web interface altogether rather than going through the PM system. Obviously you'll still need to utilize the PM system to send the codes / receive messages for authentication reasons but a web interface makes it a lot easier and less error prone for gifters than typing instructions in a PM.

It also gives the gifters more power over how / who gets gifts. Plus you can compile stats easily too to see the most generous gaffers.

Ezalc

Problems:

Wait are people planning some sort of giant give away thread? Why can't the person just ask somebody to PM them if they want the game?

As someone who hasn't gamed much on the PC over the last few years, and haven't been all that savvy on computer specs in the first place, I was wondering if any of you would advise me on how my relatively old clunker would do with typical indie games (I'm sure it wouldn't be able to handle much more than that) in anticipation of the upcoming Steam sales:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.80 GHz
2GB RAM
Vista 32-bit
Radeon X1300/1550 series

And out of curiosity, would upgrading to Windows 7 help at all in terms of performance?

(Sorry if this isn't an appropriate thread for this. Not exactly sure where else to ask.)

Thanks for the insight, guys. I pretty much accepted as a foregone conclusion that 3D games are out of the picture. Hoping it can at least handle the 2D retro sprite games though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seems like it'll be more efficient to have a separate web interface altogether rather than going through the PM system. Obviously you'll still need to utilize the PM system to send the codes / receive messages for authentication reasons but a web interface makes it a lot easier and less error prone for gifters than typing instructions in a PM.

a separate web interface is more work for anyone doing a giveaway or redeeming a giveaway; doing it within PMs is the lowest effort solution that solves the problems. the stats can still be generated. not sure why PMs would be more error prone.

Why can't we just use Steamgifts for all this?

because it requires separate registration and is not convenient which is why it's not used for giveaways in here very often

Wait are people planning some sort of giant give away thread? Why can't the person just ask somebody to PM them if they want the game?

because it's a lot more effort to give away any large quantity of keys (and requires the user to be online) than having a robot handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom