• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a key for Dear Esther. I thought I could play it but after all the opinions on my crappy specs, I'd rather not take the chance, redeem it and not be able to play it like with Thief

I was hoping to swap for it for something I can play, but no one in the Steam Trading OT or on Reddit was taking the bait. If anyone here is interested, I'm game.

Is swapped keys frowned upon in this thread? If so, I can do a giveaway instead or just keep it in the Trading threads

Sajjaja

I got a key for Dear Esther. I thought I could play it but after all the opinions on my crappy specs, I'd rather not take the chance, redeem it and not be able to play it like with Thief

I was hoping to swap for it for something I can play, but no one in the Steam Trading OT or on Reddit was taking the bait. If anyone here is interested, I'm game.

Is swapped keys frowned upon in this thread? If so, I can do a giveaway instead or just keep it in the Trading threads

There's a give one take one thread.

Wok

I am idling in Brütal Legend, and the music on the main screen is good for browsing GAF.

For sure, the game would not run on your computer.

Swapping keys would be really tedious if the traders are not well-trusted. You cannot check whether someone activated the key, be it the seller or the buyer.

Trades should mostly stay in the trade thread. There is also one for giveaways, although most for Steam are happening in here. You won't find much interest for a trade for Dear Esther because
1) The game is terrible
2) It was in a humble bundle and is pretty much worthless for trading.

Neiteio

I know the thread title says not to ask, but... Maybe they've announced the sale's start date since the thread title was written?

I really want Dark Souls. I'm trying not to cave and start a Demon's Souls New Game + or a third playthrough of TLoU.

The Steam "Take One, Give One" giveaway thread (READ OP!)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571293

r3n4ud

I know the thread title says not to ask, but... Maybe they've announced the sale's start date since the thread title was written?

I really want Dark Souls. I'm trying not to cave and start a Demon's Souls New Game + or a third playthrough of TLoU.

no sir

Neiteio

jontron-shiet-o.gif

Sorry, I meant to say that Dear Esther looks interesting so I'd happily take it off your hands :p.

I might have a key for a game that you would be able to play on your laptop but won't know for awhile. I'll let you know.

So ehm, are the L4D2 guys working on Payday 2 in co-development with the Payday 1 team?

Not sure what you're asking. If by L4D2 guys you mean Turtle Rock they're workign on their own game Evolve. But didn't circa half of the team leave and reopen TR after L4D1?

Cth

What are booster packs? I know what cards are, and badges. Boosters are new to me

To answer your question, it's a collection of 3 cards.

You can sell them sealed (not knowing what's inside) or open it and it converts into 3 cards.

There's a remote chance of getting a foil card (more expensive) inside, so many opt to do so.

Best advice would be to check the market first. If the cards are selling for .30 each (.90 for all 3) and the booster sells for 1.50 you can either take a chance and open it knowing that if you don't get a foil, you're going to get .90 or less for it (unless you use it to trade)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
A random Booster Pack appears, and it's from Psychonauts. How convenient!
I need just one more card, Lungfishopolis, and it's the only badge I really want to craft.
Let's unpack it!
*two velvitopia villians & another double Sheegor*
b8r.gif

To answer your question, it's a collection of 3 cards.

You can sell them sealed (not knowing what's inside) or open it and it converts into 3 cards.

There's a remote chance of getting a foil card (more expensive) inside, so many opt to do so.

Best advice would be to check the market first. If the cards are selling for .30 each (.90 for all 3) and the booster sells for 1.50 you can either take a chance and open it knowing that if you don't get a foil, you're going to get .90 or less for it (unless you use it to trade)
Maybe it's cause I'm new to Steam but damn this stuff seems pretty complicated. Cards, badges, boosters, selling them, considering the current market, etc. Probably never going to get involved in that though.

And then I've seen people offering keys for Team Fortress 2. Aren't those just in-game items? How they are so valuable that people would trade games for them? (I don't play multiplayer or TF2, so I don't know anything about it)

If there were a badge, there would be lots of useless spam-guide flooding from anyone who intends to get the badge.
Probably because they didn't want people flooding the system with shit guides from people trying to get a badge.
That's an easy answer and I thought of it too, but there are ways around it.

Like, guides would need to be approved by a mod or developer or you would only be awarded a badge if you get enough positive votes, etc. Or, since you can report a bad guide to mods, any garbage guides would be removed, could revoke the badge and prohibit that person from submitting another guide for say, sixty days.

They should make a badge for gifting games to others.
I think it was part of the Summer or Winter Community Badge.

Grief.exe

Maybe it's cause I'm new to Steam but damn this stuff seems pretty complicated. Cards, badges, boosters, selling them, considering the current market, etc. Probably never going to get involved in that though.

And then I've seen people offering keys for Team Fortress 2. Aren't those just in-game items? How they are so valuable that people would trade games for them? (I don't play multiplayer or TF2, so I don't know anything about it)

You've been weened on Console gaming for too long.

Welcome to the real world

morpheus.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

When you play a game on Steam that supports cards, you get the cards automatically as you play. You don't need to do anything, just play the game. Each game has between 5 and 9 cards. On your own you can only get half the cards, and you might get duplicates. You are free to sell or give away those cards or just admire them or do nothing with them at all. If you get a full set of cards for a game, one of each, you can make a badge. Like cards, badges are cosmetic things. Unlike cards, you can't sell or give away badges. The idea of badges is just to show you're a fan of a game, really. It's a showcase, basically. If you have a game that you don't really care about, you can get rid of your cards from that game in exchange for cards from a game you do like. So without spending money you'll never have all the badges from every game, but you'll be able to get a few badges from your favourite game.

If you've gotten all the cards you can from a game, you might randomly find yourself awarded a pack of three cards for that game. You can either open the pack and try to see if it'll complete the cards you need for your badge, or you can sell the cards you get (or trade them or give them away)... or you can leave the pack closed and sell it as a pack. Because no one knows which cards are inside, there's an element of risk in doing so or in buying or trading for a closed pack.

1 in 100 cards are foils, which are cosmetically different, can get you foil badges (again, cosmetic). Because they are more rare, they sell for more.

Because the value of all of these things is constantly fluxuating, there are better and worse times to sell your items, or trade them. If you're not concerned with maximizing profit then don't worry about it and just naturally go about your business.

As you play TF2 you get items for free. One of the items you can get is a locked crate. Crates have little value on their own, but they contain items. Some of the items are pretty near worthless, some of them are worth big bucks. There are many different types of crates, some are limited time only crates and contain items that will certainly become rare. To open a create, you need a key for that crate. The key costs money on Steam. So if you want to you can gamble by buying keys and crates, opening them, and hoping what you get exceeds what you paid. But for most people, they will just get a key or two by selling other items that they get for free for playing TF2. The items (both in the crates and just random ones that you get) are basically cosmetic; some weapons offer slightly different playstyles, but none really give players a significant or game-altering advantage.

Because keys are widely available, they act as a sort of "standard unit of currency" in TF2. As does another item--refined metal. So sometimes if you have items and want other stuff, you'll sell your items for keys and then trade the keys based on their standard value.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I picked up Ace of Spades and then realized it was multiplayer only so I'm guessing teh community is nearly dead. :p Oh well, still looks kind of neat.
The community usually bounces back after a major content update. Problem is, there hasn't been one for a long time.

Cth

If it helps, I'm relatively new and it's easy to pick up on this stuff.

Basically, every season/year Steam have these huge sales (Summer/Winter/Fall?) and to get more people interested, they create a metagame type thing to make things fun.

For example, they'll have a daily challenge. If you fulfil the requirements (it may be as simple as reaching level 3 in a game, etc) you get an item, in this case it was coal. After you got 3 coal, you could craft them into a chance at winning a free game. If you failed, it'd give you a coupon.

What would happen is people would buy games they wouldn't normally have in order to get a chance at crafting a free game. If they failed, they get a coupon, which could be another incentive for pouring money back into Steam.

Long story short (too late!) that's what this trading card thing is.. it's something new presumably for the summer sale. Given how it's taken off, there's a good chance it'll stick around.

I never messed with TF2, but I'd imagine it's something similar marketwise for collectible items. Just think of it as an upgrade to that system.

EDIT:
Or what Stumpokapow said.

Grief.exe

I remember reading that the publisher really screwed over the original developer with the Ace of Spades release.

Long story short (too late!) that's what this trading card thing is.. it's something new presumably for the summer sale. Given how it's taken off, there's a good chance it'll stick around.

I never messed with TF2, but I'd imagine it's something similar marketwise for collectible items. Just think of it as an upgrade to that system.

EDIT:
Or what Stumpokapow said.

Trading Cards were created separately from a metagame sale.

They are already sticking around for good, nothing within the sale will change that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Except if you did the level right you barely had to do any of that.

Unless they patched out 90% of the enemies in the 5 or so different levels I played, there is unavoidable enemy spam.

-Bank level: enemy spam as soon as you do stuff directly with the vault.
-Bridge level: endless spawns
-Street level: enedless spawns

And for other levels the second one alarm is raised you get endless spawns which basically forces you to restart. Severely limited ammo and pathetic ammo drops from enemies only worsen the issue.

I don't care for enemy spam or guns that shoot paperclips.

Payday is about playing the objective not killing the cops. Sure there's a ton of them around but your best option is to focus on the objective and trick the AI; make them split, have them chase you around etc. If you focus on killing the po-po you're going to get swarmed and it's GG.

At least on OK and OK 145+ that is.

Now about the paperclips do you use the b9s, the loco and other throwaway guns only?

Gun balance was one of the weak points of PD1 as there were some guns that were not viable for playing on higher difficulties but you can't tell me that guns like the Remington and the M308 shoot paperclips.

Both the Remi and the M308 are a 1-2 headshot kill for a Swat on 145+. A full M308 mag brings down a Bulldozer on 145+ how's that for a BB gun?

Also gun sounds sound meaty to me on my humble Xonar DX + SRH 440s setup and there's a fair bit of recoil as well, although from what i've seen so far gun feel has been improved in pd2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom