• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
You've been weened on Console gaming for too long.

Welcome to the real world

morpheus.png
Oh, you think Steam is your ally. But you merely adopted the Client; I was born in it, moulded by it.

So I finally tracked down the Don't Starve demo. (Through Google Chrome).

Runs quite nicely on my laptop, and this is through a browser, not even installed. Control setup is excellent. I'm still partial to a gamepad, cause I'm so used to consoles, but the controls on KB/M are perfect

Now all that's left is waiting for the Summer Sale

Hellix

Are the people ragging on Payday only playing with AI or on the highest difficulty setting with only level 10 reputation?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Unless they patched out 90% of the enemies in the 5 or so different levels I played, there is unavoidable enemy spam.

-Bank level: enemy spam as soon as you do stuff directly with the vault.
-Bridge level: endless spawns
-Street level: enedless spawns

And for other levels the second one alarm is raised you get endless spawns which basically forces you to restart. Severely limited ammo and pathetic ammo drops from enemies only worsen the issue.

I meant specifically for No Mercy in this case, much like the Diamond Heist (which is harder to pull off) if you stealth the majority of the mission you'll only have to fight one wave of enemies at the most. It's set up a bit differently than the other missions you played, but if you screw up at any point then yes you are going to be fighting enemy spam. For the majority of the game there's no way to avoid it though yes, it is a problem and they seem to be a bit more aware of this in Payday 2.

Though I don't really understand what you mean by being forced to restart. Other than making silly mistakes and getting too many people downed and cornered by special cops, my group and I rarely ran into issue with restarting. Ammo was always plentiful between ammo drops from enemies and ammo bags.

Unrelated: I thought we were only supposed to get boosters for games we earned all the cards in already? Yesterday I finally joined the Booster Club™ and got one for Half Life 2... which I apparently still had 1 card drop left for.

AHA-Lambda

When you play a game on Steam that supports cards, you get the cards automatically as you play. You don't need to do anything, just play the game. Each game has between 5 and 9 cards. On your own you can only get half the cards, and you might get duplicates. You are free to sell or give away those cards or just admire them or do nothing with them at all. If you get a full set of cards for a game, one of each, you can make a badge. Like cards, badges are cosmetic things. Unlike cards, you can't sell or give away badges. The idea of badges is just to show you're a fan of a game, really. It's a showcase, basically. If you have a game that you don't really care about, you can get rid of your cards from that game in exchange for cards from a game you do like. So without spending money you'll never have all the badges from every game, but you'll be able to get a few badges from your favourite game.

If you've gotten all the cards you can from a game, you might randomly find yourself awarded a pack of three cards for that game. You can either open the pack and try to see if it'll complete the cards you need for your badge, or you can sell the cards you get (or trade them or give them away)... or you can leave the pack closed and sell it as a pack. Because no one knows which cards are inside, there's an element of risk in doing so or in buying or trading for a closed pack.

1 in 100 cards are foils, which are cosmetically different, can get you foil badges (again, cosmetic). Because they are more rare, they sell for more.

Because the value of all of these things is constantly fluxuating, there are better and worse times to sell your items, or trade them. If you're not concerned with maximizing profit then don't worry about it and just naturally go about your business.

As you play TF2 you get items for free. One of the items you can get is a locked crate. Crates have little value on their own, but they contain items. Some of the items are pretty near worthless, some of them are worth big bucks. There are many different types of crates, some are limited time only crates and contain items that will certainly become rare. To open a create, you need a key for that crate. The key costs money on Steam. So if you want to you can gamble by buying keys and crates, opening them, and hoping what you get exceeds what you paid. But for most people, they will just get a key or two by selling other items that they get for free for playing TF2. The items (both in the crates and just random ones that you get) are basically cosmetic; some weapons offer slightly different playstyles, but none really give players a significant or game-altering advantage.

Because keys are widely available, they act as a sort of "standard unit of currency" in TF2. As does another item--refined metal. So sometimes if you have items and want other stuff, you'll sell your items for keys and then trade the keys based on their standard value.

Wow, I finally understand all of this stuff, thank you :)

smr00

Banned
I've been playing Broken Sword again, and I've been enjoying it. Thanks for reading.
As someone who has started getting into adventure games, is the Broken Sword trilogy worth picking up for $10? I was never a huge fan of those type of games until i played The Walking Dead and Monkey Island.

As someone who has started getting into adventure games, is the Broken Sword trilogy worth picking up for $10? I was never a huge fan of those type of games until i played The Walking Dead and Monkey Island.

Wait - it nearly always ends up going on Sale during the Summer/Winter. Broken Sword games are little more dated, but that's part of the charm now - especially the voice acting.

Also there's a guy who looks like Dan Akyrod, only he sounds like John Wayne.

D55DC3382C7794BD16F6622EAE12AF46185B7E0A

Wok

You wait patiently until it's ready.

How soon is soon? How beta is beta?

I am giving away 3 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway. If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway. If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply.:

Offspring Fling -- MB-2C9739EFC502FA33
EDGE -- MB-FFC870FE0EED45E3
Cave Story+ -- MB-0D7C9D00556E6B86

test

The_Monk

I've been temped to buy Sleeping Dragon and The Smoking Mirror. I like them for nostalgia values fellow GAFfer.

I woud say they are different from The Walking Dead when it comes to the Art Style and puzzles itself (which tend to be harder and more regular in the Broken Sword games). If you like puzzles then I would say go for it. The Story is still there but I would say it is less "intense" then TWD in case you finished that one already.

smr00

Banned
Wait - it nearly always ends up going on Sale during the Summer/Winter. Broken Sword games are little more dated, but that's part of the charm now - especially the voice acting.

Also there's a guy who looks like Dan Akyrod, only he sounds like John Wayne.

D55DC3382C7794BD16F6622EAE12AF46185B7E0A
It's just $9.99 for the trilogy.

Going to have to write it down because for some reason Steam doesn't have a "add to wishlist" button on the Trilogy page :/

I've been temped to buy Sleeping Dragon and The Smoking Mirror. I like them for nostalgia values fellow GAFfer.

I woud say they are different from The Walking Dead when it comes to the Art Style and puzzles itself (which tend to be harder and more regular in the Broken Sword games). If you like puzzles then I would say go for it. The Story is still there but I would say it is less "intense" then TWD in case you finished that one already.
I like puzzles if they aren't mind numbingly hard because i tend to overlook the obvious. I am more into the story/characters stuff. I recently picked up the Telltale bundle that came with Sam Max Season 3, Puzzle Agent, Back to the Future etc. I was going to start Sam and Max but since it says *301-305* i assume that means season and i would rather start at the beginning. Also picked up another indie bundle that came with A New Beginning (which looks gorgeous) and a few others.

I just need a break from all the other stuff i have been playing and since i got the PC a few months back it's allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and try a lot of new and refreshing things. This summer i decided to dedicate some time to Adventure games.

Cth

There once was a gaffer who was bored as he sat on the couch watching Netflix. To amuse himself he hit the caps lock and posted, "SUMMER SALE! SUMMER SALE! THE SUMMER SALE IS UP NOW!"

Other gaffers came running into the thread to see what was on sale. But when they clicked clicked on the thread, they found no sale. The gaffer laughed at the sight of their angry faces.

"Don't post about the Summer Sale, gaffer," said the gaffers, "when there's no sale!" They went grumbling back down to the other threads.

Later, the boy sang out again, "SUMMER SALE! SUMMER SALE! I NEED TO GO LY DOW!" To his naughty delight, he watched the gaffers boot up their Steam clients hoping to get Skyrim for 75% off!

When the gaffers saw no sale they sternly said, "Save your posts for when there is really is a sale! Don't post about the summer sale when there is NO sale!"

But the gaffer just grinned and watched them go grumbling down back to the community threads.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can "recently" by clarified? A few hours? A day, two days?

I haven't picked a schedule for expiring past wins yet, but it's an optional toggle that Wok picked for that giveaway in specific--it's possible to allow lurkers to win and/or allow recent winners to win.

smr00

Banned
How soon is soon? How beta is beta?
I won Cave Story+, thanks!

Didn't know if i should of thanked you here or via PM since some complain about flooding.

That Sonic Racing game is pretty fricken awesome u guys. Looks gorgeous also.
I really want to buy it now but Amazon is about to have a Sonic bundle for $9.99 that includes it.

I could buy it via Steam now and just give away the extra key since i did get a couple of keys from giveaways over the last couple of days. I feel like a bum for not having anything to give back.

Thanks for telling! :)

I did not receive a receipt from the bot though. :/

I think the goal is to eventually use PMs. However, I would say talking about the bot here is helpful in the beta phase.
Thanks for the giveaway! I have had my eye on Cave Story+ for a while now.

And know i know to PM, i actually like this bot idea, how does one set it up? or are you guys still working out the kinks?

Wok

Thanks, it worked for Offspring Fling.

Thanks for telling! :)

I haven't picked a schedule for expiring past wins yet, but it's an optional toggle that Wok picked for that giveaway in specific--it's possible to allow lurkers to win and/or allow recent winners to win.

Speaking of toggles, I did not receive a receipt from the bot though. :/

I won Cave Story+, thanks!

Didn't know if i should of thanked you here or via PM since some complain about flooding.

I think the goal is to eventually use PMs. However, I would say talking about the bot here is helpful in the beta phase.

Cth

Moderator: Gabben Little was in the woods one day when an acorn fell on his head. It scared his so much he trembled all over. He shook so hard, half his beard fell off.

Gabben Little: "Help! Help! The price of Skyrim is falling! I have to go tell the Internet!"

Moderator: So he ran in great fright to tell the Internet. Along the way he met Cliffy B.

Cliffy B: "Where are you going, Gabben Little?"

Gabben Little: "Oh, help! The price of Skyrim is falling!"

Cliffy B: "How do you know?"

Gabben Little: "I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my head!"

Cliffy B: "This is terrible, just terrible! We'd better hurry up."

Moderator: So they both ran away as fast as they could. Soon they met David Jaffe.

David Jaffe: "Where the &$#& are you going, Gabben Little and Cliffy B?"

I need some help. I am trying to play Left 4 Dead 2 with my wife so I can get the "free weekend" achievement, but it is holding up once we start the game. Hers will load and start, but mine will not. I am assuming this is because we're on the same network/router but it's been like ten years since I've done network stuff, does anybody know anything I can do before I spend too much time on Google trying to solve this?

EDIT: DISREGARD. SOLVED.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speaking of toggles, I did not receive a receipt from the bot though. :/

It logged that you requested one and it claims to have sent out one and nothing is in the outgoing queue, but I'm not sure that it actually did. I'll turn on more logging so I can see it process the giveaway and add the receipt to the queue. No one except Deadbeat (who already won a key from me earlier) has tried to claim EDGE yet.

Vecks

I picked it up during some steam sale and played them a few months ago.
Might as well wait for a sale (maybe next week) if you're unsure about them. I don't think you can go wrong with BS1(although the new nico segments are kind of boring IMO). But I don't really care that much for 2 and 3. 2 had some things that bugged me, especially towards the end. And 3 is kind of different because it's 3D, so it's more than just pointing and clicking.

Also worth noting, BS2 on steam is actually the remastered edition even though it doesn't say it.

Is your Steam ID Alien8?

I just received Limbo as a gift from that person, so a big thank you to whoever is Alien8!

Not guilty!

I think Alien 8 is a GAFer though so he probably looked at your wishlist when you posted it earlier to see if they had anything spare that you were looking for and gifted it to you because they're awesome.

*heart* the GAF pc gaming community :D

Anyway, i now has the following games that you would be welcome to:

Bioshock [from Amazon US but activates in Steam]
Multiwinia [from GOG so no Steam activation but you can shortcut to it in Steam]

I can't tell you how they would run with your laptop specs so you might like to check with the good people in here first.

Cth

I really want to buy it now but Amazon is about to have a Sonic bundle for $9.99 that includes it.

Any details on the bundle?

My daughter loves Sonic and I won't be able to pick up SRT until I get paid on Friday. If it's going to be bundled with something else that'd be great!

The_Monk

I like puzzles if they aren't mind numbingly hard because i tend to overlook the obvious. I am more into the story/characters stuff. I recently picked up the Telltale bundle that came with Sam Max Season 3, Puzzle Agent, Back to the Future etc. I was going to start Sam and Max but since it says *301-305* i assume that means season and i would rather start at the beginning. Also picked up another indie bundle that came with A New Beginning (which looks gorgeous) and a few others.

I just need a break from all the other stuff i have been playing and since i got the PC a few months back it's allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and try a lot of new and refreshing things. This summer i decided to dedicate some time to Adventure games.

I see. Then I'm not so sure if I would recommend them to you fellow GAFfer. I admit It took me a bit in one or another puzzle so I think I can say they are more puzzle oriented then your previous experiences with TWD. I love Point & Clicks but if I play too much of them or two in a row I may get bored. I just love the art style, soundtracks and puzzles in them and considering you got that Bundle you mentioned I think you can try one of those and then, jump later on the Broken Sword series. ;)

---

Also, I got a friend request from someone who I believe it's a fellow GAFfer? :)

KarmaCow

I could buy it via Steam now and just give away the extra key since i did get a couple of keys from giveaways over the last couple of days. I feel like a bum for not having anything to give back.

This one? It only has the first game (not Transformed) which doesn't have online play and from what I hear, is also a pretty poor port.

smr00

Banned
Oh relly? I might hold off as well then.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AG21KGU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

7/8-7/12 it's going to be on sale for $9.99

This one? It only has the first game (not Transformed) which doesn't have online play and from what I hear, is also a pretty poor port.
Oh shit i just realized you're right. Glad you corrected me because i was banking on getting the game via that sale.

Guess i will go ahead and just buy it via steam. It's still a good bundle that i am still picking up.

Soule

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AG21KGU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

7/8-7/12 it's going to be on sale for $9.99

Oh shit i just realized you're right. Glad you corrected me because i was banking on getting the game via that sale.

Guess i will go ahead and just buy it via steam. It's still a good bundle that i am still picking up.

I know you've been corrected but thanks for drawing my attention as I was close to getting this pack for $30 when, getting transformed on sale + the pack you've shown will end up saving me some dosh.

Not guilty!

I think Alien 8 is a GAFer though so he probably looked at your wishlist when you posted it earlier to see if they had anything spare that you were looking for and gifted it to you because they're awesome.

*heart* the GAF pc gaming community :D

Anyway, i now has the following games that you would be welcome to:

Bioshock [from Amazon US but activates in Steam]
Multiwinia [from GOG so no Steam activation but you can shortcut to it in Steam]

I can't tell you how they would run with your laptop specs so you might like to check with the good people in here first.

Well according to Game Debate (btw way better site than systemrequirementlab for checking specs) it says I can run Bioshock on low settings.

Never heard of Multiwinia

You know what, I already have games I need to play and I'd rather save space for the Summer Sale. I'll just give you the key. PM'ing you now. Thanks for the offer though, appreciate it

Well according to Game Debate (btw way better site than systemrequirementlab for checking specs) it says I can run Bioshock I can run it on low settings.

Never heard of Multiwinia

You know what, I already got a bunch of games to play and I'd rather save space for the Summer Sale. I'll just give you the key. PM'ing you now

Well thanks very much but are you sure you don't want either of those two games?

If you're sure I'll offer them to someone else in this thread.

GAFers have been so kind in giving me free games recently that I am keen to give something back to the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom