• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosur

I have no idea why I have the urge to play it now, but is Brutal Legend on sale anywhere on the internet this weekend? Can't find it anywhere and that Double Fine amazon bundle has never come back in stock.

edit: If anyone has a spare from that last indie bundle, I have a buttload of random stuff to trade for it that hasn't been taken in the take one-give one thread yet.

The daedalic point and clicks are quite good imo, some of the puzzles do get slightly obtuse but due to the setting it's not unmanageble, and honestly it's not like there's a shit ton of adventure games with that sort of gameplay/humour.

All good suggestions, thanks. I hadn't even thought about Rayman, and my wife has actually expressed a lot of interest in Trine.
Totally unrelated question/rant: I'm 21. Have been gaming all my life. To me, gaming is as much a hobby as reading a book or watching a movie. Now my parents feel that games are for kids. Which gets very annoying since I live at home, their house their rules, and "a college student shouldn't be wasting money or time on games" Of course, I know better cause I've seen how the genre has matured and developed and how it can affect a player in ways no book or movie can. Personally, I feel it's a generational thing, them having not grown up playing and interacting with games. So if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How did you get into gaming?

Dinosur

So if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How did you get into gaming?

34. Still remember getting yelled at for playing the 2600 too much when I was 5 lol.

edit: And I got grounded within the first day of moving from an Apple ][e to a PC because for some reason the first thing I decided to do was open MS Paint and write Fuck You Bitch. The whole "yes no cancel" dialog box made no sense to me so I couldn't figure out how to close it before my dad and the dude who set up the computer came downstairs.

RetroMG

Totally unrelated question/rant: I'm 21. Have been gaming all my life. To me, gaming is as much a hobby as reading a book or watching a movie. Now my parents feel that games are for kids. Which gets very annoying since I live at home, their house their rules, and "a college student shouldn't be wasting money or time playing games" Of course, I know better cause I've seen how the genre has matured and developed and how it can affect a player in ways no book or movie can. Personally, I feel it's a generational thing, them having not grown up playing and interacting with games. So if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How did you get into gaming?

I am 32, and I got into gaming as a kid, playing Super Mario Brothers and Zelda at age 6. My wife played N64 with our nephews, but mostly got into gaming when we got married and I bought a Wii. She especially loves Point and Click adventure games, but I tend to fall asleep when we play them.

It is very much a generational thing. My parents don't get it either, but they're starting to pick it up. Bringing in the Wii and various karaoke games were a big help. They won't pick up and play something themselves, but when I bring it over, they enjoy it. IMO, The Wii is gaming's gateway drug.

I will be the first to admit I probably spend more time reading and writing about gaming here than I do actually playing.

Anyone have any good recommendations for local multiplayer on Steam? My wife and I had a blast last night playing Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed.

To add to the list;
- Magicka (is fun as hell local co-op)
- Pretty much any Worms game
- Pretty much any of the Lego games
- Monaco
- Jamestown

I believe with some jiggery-pokery of launch options you can get the Left 4 Deads and Portal 2 running splitscreen too

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just completed my own little ModBot test. What a neat system! Quick and easy.

I bought the Two Tribes Humble Bundle, the keys from which I'll give away here via ModBot once Stump gives the green light for public testing.

Totally unrelated question/rant: I'm 21. Have been gaming all my life. To me, gaming is as much a hobby as reading a book or watching a movie. Now my parents feel that games are for kids. Which gets very annoying since I live at home, their house their rules, and "a college student shouldn't be wasting money or time on games" Of course, I know better cause I've seen how the genre has matured and developed and how it can affect a player in ways no book or movie can. Personally, I feel it's a generational thing, them having not grown up playing and interacting with games. So if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How did you get into gaming?

My parents are the same. 27 and I'm in the final year of my degree (only got into college at 23 after I spent some years joining up some cash to pay the studies). My parents also think that games are for kids and I take up too much time playing them (which in fact I do). But since all my gaming stuff is spent with money I earned, it doesn't bother them that much. Also my brother and cousins also play, which makes them understand a bit better. I don't spend as much as some collegues of mine spend on Magic: The Gathering cards (they have decks that can go up to 500-1000$ in value, and those cards rotate on a yearly basis), as I'm always looking for sales on PS3/PC

EDIT: For those wondering, taking a degree in Mathmatics (yeah, I know) xD

RetroMG

To add to the list;
- Magicka (is fun as hell local co-op)
- Pretty much any Worms game
- Pretty much any of the Lego games
- Monaco
- Jamestown

I believe with some jiggery-pokery of launch options you can get the Left 4 Deads and Portal 2 running splitscreen too

I had totally forgotten about the Lego games! My wife loves those, and I have a couple on Steam.

Salsa

iBznacVe7sBql.PNG

thanks JaseC!

I am 32, and I got into gaming as a kid, playing Super Mario Brothers and Zelda at age 6. My wife played N64 with our nephews, but mostly got into gaming when we got married and I bought a Wii. She especially loves Point and Click adventure games, but I tend to fall asleep when we play them.

It is very much a generational thing. My parents don't get it either, but they're starting to pick it up. Bringing in the Wii and various karaoke games were a big help. They won't pick up and play something themselves, but when I bring it over, they enjoy it. IMO, The Wii is gaming's gateway drug.

I will be the first to admit I probably spend more time reading and writing about gaming here than I do actually playing.
Ok, rant continued:
My first system was a PS1 when I was about 6, then PS2, then PS3, 360, and now Steam. The ironic thing is that my Dad bought the PS1 and PS2, more from himself than for me. He'd come home late and play Resident Evil 2 and Gran Turismo, we'd play Tekken, and when the PS2 came out, he had his prized black Viper in GT3 A Spec.

That was like 9, 10 years ago. Now he can't use a dual analog stick controller for his life and he doesn't play anymore

IMO, I feel that in 20 years or so, we'll see video games accepted on the same level as books and movies. My youngest cousin - she's 3 - is a pro at Temple Run on iPad. Kids today are interacting with games younger than ever. My generation and my brother's generation (he's 11, plays more online MP than I do) are going to grow up, understanding games and their value, not fearing them like a lot of the media and politicians seem to today.

Of course, each era has its scapegoat. There were banned books, there was rock and roll, and comics, and now it's games. And today all those genres are praised and studied and accepted. So that's a good sign for video games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM. If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway. If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply:

Telltale Games Humble Bundle (Most Games Except Walking Dead) -- MB-1579155559B0DC0D Taken by Nabs

(Someone please take this, I need you to in order to test the automatic post edit function)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey everyone! I'm new here but wanted to introduce myself. I'm the original developer of Enhanced Steam, which I believe has been discussed here a few times. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of my fans here for your support and to let you all know that I'm running a "Summer Sale Video Contest", which you can read about here.

If anyone has any questions or feature suggestions about Enhanced Steam feel free to drop me a line!

Volotaire

When you play a game on Steam that supports cards, you get the cards automatically as you play. You don't need to do anything, just play the game. Each game has between 5 and 9 cards. On your own you can only get half the cards, and you might get duplicates. You are free to sell or give away those cards or just admire them or do nothing with them at all. If you get a full set of cards for a game, one of each, you can make a badge. Like cards, badges are cosmetic things. Unlike cards, you can't sell or give away badges. The idea of badges is just to show you're a fan of a game, really. It's a showcase, basically. If you have a game that you don't really care about, you can get rid of your cards from that game in exchange for cards from a game you do like. So without spending money you'll never have all the badges from every game, but you'll be able to get a few badges from your favourite game.

If you've gotten all the cards you can from a game, you might randomly find yourself awarded a pack of three cards for that game. You can either open the pack and try to see if it'll complete the cards you need for your badge, or you can sell the cards you get (or trade them or give them away)... or you can leave the pack closed and sell it as a pack. Because no one knows which cards are inside, there's an element of risk in doing so or in buying or trading for a closed pack.

1 in 100 cards are foils, which are cosmetically different, can get you foil badges (again, cosmetic). Because they are more rare, they sell for more.

Because the value of all of these things is constantly fluxuating, there are better and worse times to sell your items, or trade them. If you're not concerned with maximizing profit then don't worry about it and just naturally go about your business.

As you play TF2 you get items for free. One of the items you can get is a locked crate. Crates have little value on their own, but they contain items. Some of the items are pretty near worthless, some of them are worth big bucks. There are many different types of crates, some are limited time only crates and contain items that will certainly become rare. To open a create, you need a key for that crate. The key costs money on Steam. So if you want to you can gamble by buying keys and crates, opening them, and hoping what you get exceeds what you paid. But for most people, they will just get a key or two by selling other items that they get for free for playing TF2. The items (both in the crates and just random ones that you get) are basically cosmetic; some weapons offer slightly different playstyles, but none really give players a significant or game-altering advantage.

Because keys are widely available, they act as a sort of "standard unit of currency" in TF2. As does another item--refined metal. So sometimes if you have items and want other stuff, you'll sell your items for keys and then trade the keys based on their standard value.

Oh, when did this card stuff start?

Hey everyone! I'm new here but wanted to introduce myself. I'm the original developer of Enhanced Steam, which I believe has been discussed here a few times. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of my fans here for your support and to let you all know that I'm running a "Summer Sale Video Contest", which you can read about here.

If anyone has any questions or feature suggestions about Enhanced Steam feel free to drop me a line!

Cool I'll check this out.

You are a god, and have saved me so much time, effort, and money.

Good man! :)

Thanks very much for Enhanced Steam. I am a pc gaming and Steam noob but have already found it really useful.

Nabs

Thanks for the games Stump.

I couldn't do without ES. I can now leave stuff in my inventory without worrying about buying it twice.

GAMERG0D

This ModBot thing is confusing, I hope I learn about it in time. :S

You certainly have made mine and everyone else's experience on Steam better than it already was. I don't really know of anything that could improve ES.

JaseC

She looks even worse with dark hair.

tumblr_mp88ajh9gp1qisaiho4_250.gif

Thank you for taking the pain out of ascertaining what specials I already own.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You are a god, and have saved me so much time, effort, and money.

Thanks!

Good man! :)

Thanks very much for Enhanced Steam. I am a pc gaming and Steam noob but have already found it really useful.

Thanks! Glad you find it useful.

I couldn't do without ES. I can now leave stuff in my inventory without worrying about buying it twice.

I'm the same way! ES was really designed at first as just a way I could see what items I already owned. It was during the last Winter sale as I was sorting through pages upon pages of cheap games that I decided it would be easier to just write a script to highlight the ones I already owned.

So this is a real thing? Not a scam or something? Okay, cause I usually stick with official versions of programs. Got to check this out.

@jshackles - Any chance at a mobile version as well? (If there isn't one already)

No scam. The code is open source and has been independently reviewed. I've even visited Valve headquarters and talked to a few of their people about it who were equally impressed. The plugin never asks for, stores, or transmits your user credentials. There have been almost 100,000 downloads. A mobile version isn't really possible until a mainstream mobile browser includes addon support.

You certainly have made mine and everyone else's experience on Steam better than it already was. I don't really know of anything that could improve ES.

Oh I've got plenty of cool things coming soon for Enhanced Steam, but some of the best features have come from user suggestions. :)

Wok

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM. If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway. If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway. If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply.:

EDGE -- MB-FFC870FE0EED45E3

I want to see if the post gets automatically edited.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Welcome! Great to have you.

Stump's ModBot is working fine with generating codes and handing out keys from what I can tell in my testing. Should be really useful for preventing people taking more than one key, and for accountability (people who may have already owned the game but took the key anyway etc.) especially when it can auto-edit posts.

Come on, so I go to Chrome Store, download ES, it says Added To Chrome. I check my Apps, not there. It's like I never downloaded, but it says added.

Any suggestions?

JaseC

Welcome! Great to have you.

Stump's ModBot is working fine from what I can tell in my testing. Should be really useful for preventing people taking more than one key, and for accountability (people who may have already owned the game but took the key anyway etc.) especially when it can auto-edit posts.

Eventually it will become sentient and begin rummaging through people's homes, looking for keys to give away of its own accord.

jshackles

Come on, so I go to Chrome Store, download ES, it says Added To Chrome. I check my Apps, not there. It's like I never downloaded, but it says added.

Any suggestions?

It's an extension so it should be listed if you go to your Menu -> Extensions. From that page you can also open the options page for Enhanced Steam.

You'll know it's working correctly if you visit the Steam homepage and there is an "Enhanced Steam" menu at the top.

masterkajo

Hi there and welcome. Been using your Enhanced Steam since I recently switched to Chrome (did report a small bug about bundle prices if your remember - which got immediately fixed, btw). Enhanced Steam really helps me keep track of my purchases and wishlist. So thanks and keep up the good work.

Megasoum

Banned
Enhanced Steam is great but I wish it could integrate to the steam app itself. I never use the website and prefer to go through the app.

jshackles

Enhanced Steam is great but I wish it could integrate to the steam app itself. I never use the website and prefer to go through the app.

This is actually the #1 piece of feedback I get from users. Unfortunately, when discussing this with Valve, I get a resounding "No" so I doubt it will happen.

Perhaps some day they'll see fit to hire me, in which case I can bring some of the useful ES features straight into the web store.

i has a question...

I am using the fine Steam Tool Library Manager to move some games to another hard drive.

I note that it lists demos that I have since deleted.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't delete those items from the steamapps folder on my pc?

It's an extension so it should be listed if you go to your Menu -> Extensions. From that page you can also open the options page for Enhanced Steam.

You'll know it's working correctly if you visit the Steam homepage and there is an "Enhanced Steam" menu at the top.
Thank you. It's working, just didn't notice the differences at first
It's really useful,

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This is actually the #1 piece of feedback I get from users. Unfortunately, when discussing this with Valve, I get a resounding "No" so I doubt it will happen.

Perhaps some day they'll see fit to hire me, in which case I can bring some of the useful ES features straight into the web store.

Perhaps more than anything, for obvious reasons, I would love to be able to filter out games I already own completely in a search. Similar to the highlighting that happens now, but so that those highlighted games don't show up and I can only be viewing games I don't own. I don't suppose that's possible, though.

Edit: I'd gladly donate a decent amount for this feature though if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom