• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hofmann

Holy shit...it's sentient! It's posting on its own accord. The machine wars have begun!

Haven't you heard, bots are actually friendlier than most of humans, so don't worry about the future.
dx7sVXj.jpg

Old and obviously a joke

So I'd take it that the Amnesia demo is a good indication of the full game? I was barely 5 minutes in, no creatures had even appeared yet, and I was so fucking tense. It's the damn sound effects and the warping effects and something about being able to peek around corners by leaning.

About how long is Amnesia?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How about lurkers and dupe accounts?

Dupes if we detect we ban in almost all cases, but if it's undetected, nothing we can do. Lurkers it's up to the person adminning the giveaway to allow or disallow. Lurkers without accounts are hosed because you need to PM ModBot.

Modbot is badass. Is there a post explaining how to use it and how it works (does it give the key to the first pm or it picks a random person after some time, does it prevent people from claiming too many keys, etc).

It's in beta testing. There'll be a FAQ post when it's ready. Right now: first PM; yes it prevents people from claiming multiples (three barriers: if you ask for more than one at once, you get disqualified. If you ask for more than one in separate messages, only the first counts. Plus the person giving away the codes can specify no previous winners are allowed to enter and that'll restrict people who have won during the last <x> days* * x right now is infinity, I am going to lower it at some later point.)

The bot is fully operational right now, but I've only given a select few accounts (JaseC, Salsa, xelios, Wok, a few others) the instructions for generating new giveaways. It's just so I can monitor it during the beta testing period. And everything is fully automatic, including the post edits (even though they say it's "my account" doing the edits)

BadAss2961

So I'd take it that the Amnesia demo is a good indication of the full game? I was barely 5 minutes in, no creatures had even appeared yet, and I was so fucking tense. It's the damn sound effects and the warping effects and something about being able to peek around corners by leaning.

The demo is maybe the most intense part of the game, but the whole thing is pretty terrifying throughout.

I don't remember exactly how long it was, but you'll be glad when it's over.

derExperte

6-8hrs.

Plus the person giving away the codes can specify no previous winners are allowed to enter and that'll restrict people who have won during the last <x> days* * x right now is infinity, I am going to lower it at some later point.

So, every giveaway has a diferent number/code? Or is it global

feel

Dupes if we detect we ban in almost all cases, but if it's undetected, nothing we can do. Lurkers it's up to the person adminning the giveaway to allow or disallow. Lurkers without accounts are hosed because you need to PM ModBot.

It's in beta testing. There'll be a FAQ post when it's ready. Right now: first PM; yes it prevents people from claiming multiples (three barriers: if you ask for more than one at once, you get disqualified. If you ask for more than one in separate messages, only the first counts. Plus the person giving away the codes can specify no previous winners are allowed to enter and that'll restrict people who have won during the last <x> days* * x right now is infinity, I am going to lower it at some later point.)

The bot is fully operational right now, but I've only given a select few accounts (JaseC, Salsa, xelios, Wok, a few others) the instructions for generating new giveaways. It's just so I can monitor it during the beta testing period. And everything is fully automatic, including the post edits (even though they say it's "my account" doing the edits)
So awesome, thanks for doing this.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Never heard of Multiwinia
Multiwinia is a really insane tactical strategy game. It's a multiplayer spin-off of Darwinia. I don't really know what else I could directly compare it to. You herd around little green stick men and throw them against the other players to complete the game mode objectives but in practice it's barely controlled pandemonium.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, every giveaway has a diferent number/code? Or is it global

When you contact the bot with, say, 10 keys they all get grouped together in one giveaway. So right now you are only allowed one key per giveaway.

Secondary to that, if the giver-awayer picks the no winners option, it will restrict you from winning if you've won at all before, globally. This will eventually be changed into an option that has some sort of date barrier, like in the last two weeks or three weeks or something. I haven't decided yet.

I'm still working on fleshing out the giveaway options.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If Stump can make a bot to do those tasks, I'm pretty sure he can create bots to taking over posting duties for everyone in this thread and the average reader won't know the difference.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have been away... Do you copy and paste the whole line with the game title and code, or just the code? You put it in the body of the PM or the title?

When you contact the bot with, say, 10 keys they all get grouped together in one giveaway. So right now you are only allowed one key per giveaway.

Secondary to that, if the giver-awayer picks the no winners option, it will restrict you from winning if you've won at all before, globally. This will eventually be changed into an option that has some sort of date barrier, like in the last two weeks or three weeks or something. I haven't decided yet.

I'm still working on fleshing out the giveaway options.
That's great. Restricting a key per week for a user can give many many people a chance to get something, and will make everyone pick-and-choose want they want

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Would it be possible to set up the modbot to do trades with Steam Gifts? I have like a dozen games from one of the winter sales still sitting in my steam account.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
If you've recently won a giveaway you should not be able to receive one of these keys. Someone who has won please try anyway just to be 100% sure. I need someone who has not won to try and claim two keys (in separate messages) to make sure everything is working as intended. It should be, but I want to test the auto-editing also. -- Thanks guys

ModBot said:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway. If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sword of the Stars Complete Collection -- C28E52A1E83210B2 - Taken by tjohn86
Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition -- E569F3B8B3D4E14A - Taken by Tecl0n
Star Ruler -- B7BA40552BEB3D64 - Taken by SirKhalid
A New Beginning: Final Cut -- 7921C2DC094A28F0 - Taken by Archie
Crusader Kings Complete -- 8ABDC29BCFC10F4C - Taken by Drkirby
Aquanox 2: Revelation -- 9608F189E750BF00 - Taken by BorntoPlay
Painkiller Overdose -- BA5ED490B9B92548 - Taken by Letters
Aquanox -- 579D67CCC14DA7D4 - Taken by Catshade
Vessel -- 3FAD557C9B9739FC - Taken by v0rtikal
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes -- 9A355BEFE9E3CE92 - Taken by Kevin
Pirates of the Black Cove -- MB-B3417045BA24445E

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have been away... Do you copy and paste the whole line with the game title and code, or just the code? You put it in the body of the PM or the title?

If you are redeeming a code, just follow the instructions it gives:
"To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering)."

It'll work with just the key, but for simplicity's sake I just say copy/paste the whole line.

That's a nifty little bot Stump. How long did it take you to get it working?

The skeleton of the code and the research into GAF account "spoofing" was stuff I did a little bit before E3 for unrelated purposes (basically implementing moderation tools for mobile GAF because until now it's been very difficult to do moderate stuff from mobile). Actually building the Giveaway functions took me maybe 5 or 6 hours last night and 5 or 6 hours during the day today.

Would it be possible to set up the modbot to do trades with Steam Gifts? I have like a dozen games from one of the winter sales still sitting in my steam account.

Possible, yes, but not any time soon--SteamKit (which is the reverse engineered Steam API used to handle Steam chat bots) is primarily .NET and I don't have an active Visual Studio license. There's a python fork (and I'm actually a decent Python programmer) but I haven't looked into the API at all.

73V3N

Banned
If you've recently won a giveaway you should not be able to receive one of these keys. Someone who has won please try anyway just to be 100% sure.

Tried it and I haven't gotten anything yet so I think it's working.

EDIT: is it "haven't gotten" or "haven't got"? sorry for the off topic.

Ezra2680

If you've recently won a giveaway you should not be able to receive one of these keys. Someone who has won please try anyway just to be 100% sure.

Also I need someone who has not won to try and claim two keys (in separate messages) to make sure everything is working as intended. It should be, but I want to test the auto-editing also.

Tried to take Vessel after winning already today. So far, no message from modbot

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, sent 4 PMs to the mod bot. Got one key, but nothing else.

Here are the keys I did (Got Crusader Kings Complete )
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes -- MB-9A355BEFE9E3CE92

Aquanox 2: Revelation -- MB-9608F189E750BF00

Sword of the Stars Complete Collection -- MB-C28E52A1E83210B2

Crusader Kings Complete -- MB-8ABDC29BCFC10F4C

feel

Tested it, got Painkiller Overdose, thanks Modbot! (And Xelios, I guess.......... :p )

edit-

So sweet seeing takers' names being edited into the giveaway post.

Volotaire

If you've recently won a giveaway you should not be able to receive one of these keys. Someone who has won please try anyway just to be 100% sure. -- Thanks guys

Also I need someone who has not won to try and claim two keys (in separate messages) to make sure everything is working as intended. It should be, but I want to test the auto-editing also.

I tried for Vessel.Nothing, seems to work.

v0rtikal

I need someone who has not won to try and claim two keys (in separate messages) to make sure everything is working as intended. It should be, but I want to test the auto-editing also.

Got Vessel, sent another PM as you requested for testing purposes.
Thanks xelios.

SirKhalid

I need someone who has not won to try and claim two keys (in separate messages) to make sure everything is working as intended. It should be, but I want to test the auto-editing also.

If you've recently won a giveaway you should not be able to receive one of these keys. Someone who has won please try anyway just to be 100% sure. -- Thanks guys
Thanks for Star Ruler.

Ok, so I (and please, dont laugh! :/ ) have a gift copy of Half Life 2 from the 2011 Winter Sale that Ive never redeemed.... seeing as I ( I said dont laugh! :( ) never played it before, shall I redeem it and play through it or just give it away?

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.

73V3N

Banned

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Looks like Stump has everything working as intended.

You're welcome.

Ok, so I (and please, dont laugh! :/ ) have a gift copy of Half Life 2 from the 2011 Winter Sale that Ive never redeemed.... seeing as I ( I said dont laugh! :( ) never played it before, shall I redeem it and play through it or just give it away?

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.

If you already played and enjoyed the first one, you should probably redeem and play the second one.
(I know you said you've never played it before but idk if you are talking about the half life series or just "half life 2")

Tecl0n

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.

Play it, HL2 should not be denied, to anyone.

derExperte

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.

What's to laugh about? That's not funny, that's sad. Please play HL2 and then E1+2. You even get cards for playing!

Kevin

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.

If you have not played it before then you need to play it. One of the best shooters out there.

Volotaire

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.

Play it NOW!

I'm serious!

Dice

Missed SotS 2 by what I am assuming was a couple seconds! I have a small desire for it but figured I'd try for sake of testing, heh heh...

Robots takin all our jerbs!

feel

Enlighten me, Steam-gaf.
For shame. Go play it immediately. Everyone else has it already anyways.

Dice

I think it is one of the most boring games I have ever played, and I am not alone, but the lovers are numerous and loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom