• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

I just tried to see if ModBot would accept just the code and not the entire line. Not sure if that's intended or not. Could be a shortcut for fast cut-n-pasters.

Anyways, if you need to use the key to keep testing, feel free to reuse it I won't register it.

Thanks toddhunter for the giveaway!

Storm360

This is most likely going to sound REALLY stupid, but does anyone have a issue with their steam client randomly playing music?

Here is the twitter conversation I had with someone else the first time I've had the issue

https://twitter.com/tomasduda/status/350434289046929410

It has just occured again, this time with the Mortal Kombat song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA)

I checked the windows sound mixer to see where its coming from, and I had this on my chat window
k82tP3W.png

I seriously have no idea whats going on

Megasoum

Banned
This is most likely going to sound REALLY stupid, but does anyone have a issue with their steam client randomly playing music?

Here is the twitter conversation I had with someone else the first time I've had the issue

It has just occured again, this time with the Mortal Kombat song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA)

I checked the windows sound mixer to see where its coming from, and I had this on my chat window
k82tP3W.png

Autoplay on a store trailer?

Razorskin

----- ------

k82tP3W.png

Logical answer: Summer Sale imminent.

Kevin

I have no idea where the Tetris theme is on the store, and that mortal kombat song was only ever used in the movie iirc, plus, wouldn't it show under steam in the sound mixer?

It's seriously scaring me now

It honestly sounds like you have a virus that has nothing to do with Steam. I had that happen once where sounds would randomly play.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just tried to see if ModBot would accept just the code and not the entire line. Not sure if that's intended or not. Could be a shortcut for fast cut-n-pasters.

It's intentional but the directions say the full line just to avoid accidental mis-selects and keep it easy for the baby noobs who are going to be using the system on a go-forward basis :p

Wow that Modbot is pretty amazing, maybe when it's done, the procedure to give aways keys through it could be added to the faq in the first page?

Yep absolutely.

Thanks guys, now it's 3am in the morning and I'm listening to Mortal Combat on repeat.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a virus; one of the coolest viruses ever by the sounds of it.

Try turning autoplay off the Steam trailers though, just incase.

Chronoja

k82tP3W.png

It's actually interesting you bring this up. A couple of months ago I was just randomly browsing steam discussions and out of nowhere this "carnival" music started up and I could hear a conversation of people talking. This was fairly late at night, I had nothing else open, I sort of freaked out, in a calm rational way of course. I instantly opened the task manager to see what was going on but I spotted nothing overly suspicious, but I closed nearly every working process that didn't seem important and it only disappeared when I closed steam. I thought of nearly everything, was it a trailer, I didn't open any chat windows. It was really bizarre. I ran virus scans, checked the event logs, nothing. It's never happened again, so yeah. Just one of those mysteries.

Storm360

It's actually interesting you bring this up. A couple of months ago I was just randomly browsing steam discussions and out of nowhere this canrival music started up and I could hear a conversation of people talking. This was fairly late at night, I had nothing else open, I sort of freaked out, in a calm rational way of course. I instantly opened the task manager to see what was going on but I spotted nothing, but I closed nearly everything that was open and it only disappeared when I closed steam. I thought of nearly everything, was it a trailer, I didn't open any chat windows. It was really bizarre. I ran virus scans, checked the event logs, nothing. It's never happened again, so yeah. Just one of those mysteries.

The fact that its happened to others makes me think it's not the case of a virus, and I honestly don't see any way possible on how I could have attracted anything, I just finished the TrendMicro scan and nothing was found, all my software etc is fully legit copies, and I don't visit any sites that I can see. giving me a virus (typically a few gaming forums, youtube and video game retailer), so the only real way is a rouge ad or something on a site, either way, I'm confused.

Worth Noting - The other person in the twitter conversation I was having, is running Linux

oipic

ModBot looks to be an awesome initiative, nice work getting it operational so quickly, Stump. #thatescalatedquickly

(Thread moves so quickly at the moment, many new faces, too - a lot happened while I was sleeping!)

Posted this a few hours ago, but I think it got overlooked cause of the Enhanced Steam guy and ModBot.

Anyway, I thought it was an interested discussion. So if anyone's interested:

I'm 21. Have been gaming all my life. To me, gaming is as much a hobby as reading a book or watching a movie. Now my parents feel that games are for kids. Which gets very annoying since I live at home, their house their rules, and "a college student shouldn't be wasting money or time on games" Of course, I know better cause I've seen how the genre has matured and developed and how it can affect a player in ways no book or movie can. Personally, I feel it's a generational thing, them having not grown up playing and interacting with games.
---
My first system was a PS1 when I was about 6, then PS2, then PS3, 360, and now Steam. The ironic thing is that my Dad bought the PS1 and PS2, more from himself than for me. He'd come home late and play Resident Evil 2 and Gran Turismo, we'd play Tekken, and when the PS2 came out, he had his prized black Viper in GT3 A Spec.

That was like 9, 10 years ago. Now he can't use a dual analog stick controller for his life and he doesn't play anymore

IMO, I feel that in 20 years or so, we'll see video games accepted on the same level as books and movies. My youngest cousin - she's 3 - is a pro at Temple Run on iPad. Kids today are interacting with games younger than ever. My generation and my brother's generation (he's 11, plays more online MP than I do) are going to grow up, understanding games and their value, not fearing them like a lot of the media and politicians seem to today.

Of course, each era has its scapegoat. There were banned books, there was rock and roll, and comics, and now it's games. And today all those genres are praised and studied and accepted. So that's a good sign for video games.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Posted this a few hours ago, but I think it got overlooked cause of the Enhanced Steam guy and ModBot.
I think it was overlooked because it should be its own thread.

Anyway, I'm almost 30 and I started playing when I was 2, and people have been using games as a scapegoat for 20 years now. Anyway, it sucks that your parents are being silly about games, but if they're paying for your college I guess it makes sense for them to have a say in how much time you spend on entertainment. If they don't care about you using other media, that is dumb, but you'll have that in life.

I think it was overlooked because it should be its own thread.

Anyway, I'm almost 30 and I started playing when I was 2, and people have been using games as a scapegoat for 20 years now. Anyway, it sucks that your parents are being silly about games, but if they're paying for your college I guess it makes sense for them to have a say in how much time you spend on entertainment. If they don't care about you using other media, that is dumb, but you'll have that in life.
I'll do that

Chronoja

The fact that its happened to others makes me think it's not the case of a virus, and I honestly don't see any way possible on how I could have attracted anything, I just finished the TrendMicro scan and nothing was found, all my software etc is fully legit copies, and I don't visit any sites that I can see. giving me a virus (typically a few gaming forums, youtube and video game retailer), so the only real way is a rouge ad or something on a site, either way, I'm confused.

Worth Noting - The other person in the twitter conversation I was having, is running Linux

I don't think it was a virus either. I actually came to the (now wrong) conclusion at the time that it was a skype problem, at the time I was shutting down all the processes I could, I spotted Skype p2p and steam right next to each other. I never actively used skype, but I had it installed for testing around the time windows live messenger was shutting down, but I didn't like it so I never used it.
Since the sound died out around the time I closed both of these I actually attributed it to skype, because it made the most sense. I never discerned how it would happen, I just uninstalled it completely and since it never happened again I assumed I was correct Because of that assumption it never occured to me of other people encountering the same situation via steam so it's pretty interesting to realise that. I'll have to keep an eye on it now to see where it goes.

Storm360

I don't think it was a virus either. I actually came to the conclusion that it was a skype problem, at the time I was shutting down all the processes I could, I spotted Skype p2p and steam right next to each other. I never actively used skype, but I had it installed for testing around the time windows live messenger was shutting down, but I didn't like it so I never used it.
Since the sound died out around the time I closed both of these I actually attributed it to skype, because it made the most sense. I never discerned how it would happen, I just uninstalled it completely and since it never happened again I assumed I was correct Because of that assumption it never occured to me of other people encountering the same situation via steam so it's pretty interesting to realise that. I'll have to keep an eye on it now to see where it goes.

Yeah, I've decided that I'm keeping a camera near my PC now, just to quickly capture it if it happens again

I have skype installed, but its disabled from startup and I don't have any skype .exe's in my process list

Vecks

I don't think it was a virus either. I actually came to the conclusion that it was a skype problem, at the time I was shutting down all the processes I could, I spotted Skype p2p and steam right next to each other. I never actively used skype, but I had it installed for testing around the time windows live messenger was shutting down, but I didn't like it so I never used it.

Does skype have advertisements? Advertisements can be loud and annoying nowadays.

Cth

Probably better suited for a different thread, but I had a different experience.

Turning 40 next week, grew up with video games (Telstar was my first gaming system) played Atari with my parents all the time, keeping track our high scores, etc.

Dad had a stroke a few years back and he picked up an Xbox 360 mainly for streaming Netflix and video chatting with relatives from Canada. Like myself, he grew up with one stick, one button controllers. With the stroke it took time, but he got used to it. The only real problem he had was with QTE. He played a bunch of Cabela type games and I think it actually helped him recover better. He kept playing events over and over until he got gold on each stage.

I don't have the patience for that kind of completeness anymore, mainly because since my six year old daughter was born, gaming has had to come in shorter bursts/portable. Now that she's old enough, she's become a pro at navigating all manner of consoles/portables/tablets/etc.

It's an interesting topic but yeah, probably worth spinning off as a new thread.

This is hilariously strange. I hope you figure out what the issue is.

I've tried scanning, and nothing came up, i'll try with Housecall then, I typically use MSE and Malware Bytes

Check your cd drive? As unlikely as it sounds I remember a guy way back who got scared cause his brother left a death metal cd in the drive he didnt know about.

More GMG 666 deals

gmgagshj.png
Papo & Yo $4.07
gmgagshj.png
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams $4.07
gmgagshj.png
Reus $5.35
gmgagshj.png
Pressure $3.83
gmgagshj.png
Frozen Synapse $4.98

Prices are not amazingly amazing (Make sure to use GMG20-XLQ7U-EMMBV for 20%), but the games are good (except for Pressure)

Chronoja

Does skype have advertisements? Advertisements can be loud and annoying nowadays.

I didn't even have the program running, not even logged into it or anything so I doubt even if it was. It is like I said a mystery, but with other people experiencing the same thing and the only thing I'm sure about is it stopped when I shut down the steam process. I know that for a fact, I only attributed it to skype because why would steam start playing crazy music and let me listen in on a seemingly normal conversation between 2 normal, english speaking people.

smr00

Banned
More GMG 666 deals

gmgagshj.png
Papo & Yo $5.09
gmgagshj.png
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams $5.09
gmgagshj.png
Reus $6.69
gmgagshj.png
Pressure $4.79
gmgagshj.png
Frozen Synapse $6.23

Prices are not amazing, but the games are good (except for Pressure)
GMG20-XLQ7U-EMMBV took Papo & Yo down to $4.08. I hear it's very simplistic but it looks beautiful and for $4.08 i couldn't pass it up.

About to watch some videos on Giana Sisters, the screenshots have me interested.

GMG20-XLQ7U-EMMBV took Papo & Yo down to $4.08. I hear it's very simplistic but it looks beautiful and for $4.08 i couldn't pass it up.

About to watch some videos on Giana Sisters, the screenshots have me interested.

Updated the post with discounted price.

I highly recommend Giana Sisters as it is a great little platformer. It has been a few cents cheaper on steam but that price is good enough.

smr00

Banned
Updated the post with discounted price.

I highly recommend Giana Sisters. It is a great little platformer. It has been a few cents cheaper on steam but that price is good enough.
Just watched a trailer and it looks absolutely gorgeous and looks like a super fun plat former. Can't pass that up for $4.08 w/ discount.

The thing that really annoys me about this is that i can't add multiple of these deals into 1 transaction which always causes my bank to call me because the payments are made outside the US.

So did they make it so you can't idle multiple games for cards anymore? I had about 8 games open and left for a couple hours (to watch Dark Shadows, I don't recommend the movie) and expected a mountain of cards when I returned. I came back to 1.

More from S.A.O.I.R.S.E.

I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Reus -- MB-7A22ECF33FA3ED21 - Taken by Leon Belmont

Cth

So did they make it so you can't idle multiple games for cards anymore? I had about 8 games open and left for a couple hours (to watch Dark Shadows, I don't recommend the movie) and expected a mountain of cards when I returned. I came back to 1.

Been that way since the first week or so I thought.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just watched 4 people fail the lurker requirement but try to claim the key ;) and separately one person get there just seconds too late

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Question, the Sims 3 games on steam, do they require origin?

Actually they do not. The CD-Keys will activate on Origin though, if that's your thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any chance of a steam sale on these things?

It's rare, but it happens. Can probably expect something during the Summer Sale, either 66 or 75% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom