• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezra2680

Would it be possible for you to post the source code for your bot after you're down working on it? I've never written a bot and would be interested in seeing how you set it up. Or would this compromise its integrity?

Sorry if this was intentionally ignored, but it was at the bottom of the page, so it could have been missed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Am I missing something if I only get L4D2 instead of the bundle that includes both?

Not much. They've patched in most of the L4D content into L4D2.

With the Summer sale soon upon us, many games will of course be getting deep discounts. The fun for the steam vets and newcomers a like is buying up games that are cheaper than they have ever been before. More often than not, these discounts will be 33%, 50%, 66%, or 75%. Now price-wise, these discounts are really only half of the story. The base prices, or sticker prices actually dictate the final price. Of course this is all common knowledge but I wanted to give a rundown of why the following is important.
So every once in a while between sale periods, publishers will lower the base prices permanently. Then when we get our percentage discounts, the price will be even lower. So what I have done is collected the most notable discounts in the last few months. Now of course we don't know if these will be on sale or for what percentage off if they are, but it does give us a glimpse into which ones will be cheaper than the last sale even if they are at the same percentage off as the last sale. A lot of people on budgets or with huge backlogs like myself consider $5 to be the holy grail for AAA games. That would take 75% off of a 19.99 game. 19.99 seems to be the place where a lot of big games sit for the longest stent before falling after becoming very old. 75% seems to be the most common large discount. So if the game is more than a year old, there is a good chance of it hitting that 75% sweet spot.

Enough rambling. Here is the list of notable games that are now cheaper and therefore will be even cheaper this sale even at the same as last sale. These are US prices, sorry everyone else.
Basically: These are the games to watch for cheaper than ever prices (on steam)

I highlighted in RED the games that I thought were most noteworthy

• Don't Starve: Was $22.49 --> Now $14.99 as of July 6
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • Postal III: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • Postal 2 Complete: Was $14.99 --> Now $9.99 as of July 3
  • Postal: Was $6.99 --> Now $4.99 as of July 3
  • Saints Row: The Third- The Full Package: Was $49.99 --> Now $29.99 as of July 3
  • Saints Row: The Third: Was $39.99 --> Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • Lost Planet 2: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • London 2012: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games: Was $44.99 -- Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • The Sims Medieval: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • Crysis 2 Maximum Edition: Was $39.99 --> Now $29.99 as of July 3
  • Tower Wars: Was $7.99 --> Now $4.99 as of July 3
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of July 3
  • Star Trek: Was $49.99 --> Now $29.99 as of June 28
  • Defiance: Was $59.99 --> Now $39.99 as of June 21
  • Risen: Was $19.99 --> Now $9.99 as of June 20
  • Risen 2: Dark Waters: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of June 20
  • Borderlands 2: Was $39.99 --> Now $29.99 as of June 18
  • Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition: Was $39.99 --> Now $29.99 as of June 18
  • Street Figher X Tekken: Was $39.99 --> Now $29.99 as of June 18
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of June 3
  • Magical Drop V: Was $9.99 --> Now $4.99 as of May 21
  • Fortix 2: Was $9.99 --> Now $1.99 as of May 15
  • Might and Magic Heroes VI Gold: Was $39.99 --> Now $29.99 as of May 10
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations: Was $29.99 --> Now $19.99 as of May 10
  • Assassin's Creed III: Was $49.99 --> Now $39.99 as of May 10

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So thanks to xelios for the idea - the next version of Enhanced Steam will have an option you can select that will let you hide games on Steam you already own. They will still show up on the homepage carousel, but will be hidden most other places. This will also hide DLC you own on that game's app page and hide games/DLC you own from bundle pages.

You can read about it here.

Just in time for the Summer Sale, too. Great work.

More GMG 666 deals

gmgagshj.png
Reus $5.35

Prices are not amazingly amazing (Make sure to use GMG20-XLQ7U-EMMBV for 20%), but the games are good (except for Pressure)

Am I dreaming?

What's this ModBot I've been reading about the last few pages?

It's essentially an automated system for giving away unwanted keys. Basically, a user PM's the bot with an unwanted key (or keys) and receives a response that they post in the thread; a person interested in a key on offer follows the instructions and receives it from ModBot. Additionally, there are some restrictions one can impose (e.g. no lurkers).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at the last few pages and saw that everyone was talking about Stump's giveaway bot. So is it true then? Did he do it, and is it working?

Ezra2680

I was looking at the last few pages and saw that everyone was talking about Stump's giveaway bot. So is it true then? Did he do it, and is it working?

Not really. He's just monitoring the account he made and replying to people. Its all a hoax, calling it now.

So did they make it so you can't idle multiple games for cards anymore? I had about 8 games open and left for a couple hours (to watch Dark Shadows, I don't recommend the movie) and expected a mountain of cards when I returned. I came back to 1.

The only time I idled 2 at once, it seemed to take twice as long. 4 hours to get all the cards from 2 games, instead of about 2 hours when running one at a time.

JaseC

My girlfriend is watching The Host... I started to watch it but it's basically JaseC: The Movie

If it weren't for Saoirse's involvement and the fact that it was her first theatrical release in two years, I would have regretted seeing the film at all, let alone paying to see it at the cinemas (I caught the lucky last local screening). Byzantium was supposed to release here in just a few weeks, but the distributor had a change of heart and will be releasing it on DVD/BD in October instead. I'm so annoyed. :(

Anywho, here's an Automaton-assisted giveaway. I didn't bother imposing any rules as Two Tribes is no stranger to indie bundles:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Toki Tori -- MB-BFEE279465E674EE - Taken by v0rtikal
Rush -- MB-199C2A54000B80F8 - Taken by BorntoPlay
Edge -- MB-3D4AA84154F7CC27 - Taken by Cth

MikeDown

Banned
I don't think it was a virus either. I actually came to the (now wrong) conclusion at the time that it was a skype problem, at the time I was shutting down all the processes I could, I spotted Skype p2p and steam right next to each other. I never actively used skype, but I had it installed for testing around the time windows live messenger was shutting down, but I didn't like it so I never used it.
Since the sound died out around the time I closed both of these I actually attributed it to skype, because it made the most sense. I never discerned how it would happen, I just uninstalled it completely and since it never happened again I assumed I was correct Because of that assumption it never occured to me of other people encountering the same situation via steam so it's pretty interesting to realise that. I'll have to keep an eye on it now to see where it goes.

I've had this issue a few times. W/ me though it was always caused by Steam randomly playing a trailer of some sort, navigating to a different store page always solved the issue. Although I never have dropped in on people's conversations, but then again I don't have Skype installed.

Megasoum

Banned
If it weren't for Saoirse's involvement and the fact that it was her first theatrical release in two years, I would have regretted seeing the film at all, let alone paying to see it at the cinemas (I caught the lucky last local screening). Byzantium was supposed to release here in just a few weeks, but the distributor had a change of heart and will be releasing it on DVD/BD in October instead. I'm so annoyed. :(

I had my first Saoirse experience tonight and it was great...

And Hanna was all right

Tremis

This man does his research.
Just checked my mystery ids, I have a duplicate of 23 for trade. If anyone has anything other than 20, 24, or 30 I'll trade for it.

Is Postal 3 any good? All I remember about it from previews was a weaponized badger harness and that it was the sequel to Postal 2 aka that crazy game where you could urinate on corpses

JaseC

I had my first Saoirse experience tonight and it was great...

And Hanna was all right

I remember reading that Wright filmed a scene, I think around the midpoint of the film, where Hanna and Marissa bump into each other in a public place, and since they're in no position to do something about one another, they have a bit of a back-and-forth instead. Apparently Saoirse and Cate played off each other very well but the scene was ultimately cut. I assumed it'd be on the BD, but I dug through the deleted scenes and it was nowhere to be found.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Postal 3 any good? All I remember about it from previews was a weaponized badger harness and that it was the sequel to Postal 2 aka that crazy game where you could urinate on corpses

Postal 3 is considered to be one of the worst games on Steam.

But who knows, give it a shot.

jediyoshi

It's all kinds of bad, and not in any way that you can actually have fun with or appreciate. Just watching a playthrough of it on YouTube instead might be an improvement on the experience.

Turfster

None of the Postal games were actually any good. You spent like 5 minutes going 'haha, this game is outrageous' and then spent the next hour going 'why the hell did I waste my money on this.'

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 23 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Capsized -- MB-2C876A6A570E35FF
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-9445B9BBBD79F3BE - Taken by Servizio
Tiny and Big -- MB-69F5CF29E2626254
Oil Rush -- MB-65AC414F8BFF3672
Offspring Fling -- MB-FEBE0A6277B41317 - Taken by Exuro
Crusader Kings Complete -- MB-2A91CEA629FD8CB3 - Taken by deejay
Lucid -- MB-085769B2E82B3BB1
Fractal -- MB-0A9E3D39B2993A97
NightSky -- MB-C1D7862A0F5C54FC
Waking Mars -- MB-7C98D49381C30EDD - Taken by Milamber
Titan Quest -- MB-FBB70B6C0C6A4C33 - Taken by reddmyst
Cogs -- MB-BAF0DD9A110E4B39
Painkiller Overdose -- MB-D8DD8A5D599AED24
Reign Conflict of Nations -- MB-C237737E1FE1EDFD
Frozen Synapse -- MB-26DE845C5DFE11ED
Intrusion 2 -- MB-56F15D4C9D3D0BD9
Aquaria -- MB-D300F7E2CD7DACDE
Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-D51024433E09EDE4 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Dear Esther -- MB-2D7BD245F58A187E
English Country Tune -- MB-E55EB64ABD3EF7A9 - Taken by More Badass
Broken Sword Director's Cut -- MB-8CABB32F1D9389A9 - Taken by nogoodnamesleft
McPixel -- MB-FE52AF2CDBAD62C8 - Taken by ~Kinggi~
Vessel -- MB-1033CD7076BBB1D9

Facism

just realised the 5 post restriction. Thread is so long i don't remember if i ever posted here.

[edit]just checked, the last 2 posts are my only posts. Bugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom