• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, lurker is defined as posts in the thread? I thought lurkers were just people who registered accounts but didn't post, so they could harvest email addresses or whatnot.

"Lurker" is simply a term for somebody who browses but doesn't contribute. This can apply both to those who can't post (i.e. unregistered users/users awaiting activation) and those that choose not to.

also does it have to be the current thread?

I'd say so.

Facism

Sorry if i've missed this, as it's late and i'm nursing some mad neck pain, but if I wanted to donate a key or 2 to the bot, what's the process?

Firehead

Guess we are finding out who the typical lurkers are lol.

I usually post in the Steam threads, just been playing catch up with this new one.

Speaking of Steam related things, Salsa, I finally got Dust. And it is truly amazing. Love the attention to detail in the animations. Really well made game. Wasn't it made by a GAFfer?

metalshade

So, is Ace of Spades worth buying now at 66% off? Gotta love them blocky games.

Look into cubeworld for blocky,it looks absolutely awesome.
Dunno if its coming to steam or not tho :-(

EDIT: Seeing the description for lurker is interesting. I read this thread everyday, have done for over a year now, but I post very rarely as I am relatively new to pc gaming and therefore don't have all that much to contribute to conversations, but now I am getting a bigger library (read backlog) and have spent a lot of time in this thread, it seems that you will see me more often.

As kinngi said, the lurkers are coming out of the woodwork!
(I wasn't a bad stealing keys type lurker, just a conversation and knowledge voyeur....is that better or worse?)

Click on the post number to the right of the thread title in the forum view. It'll categorize by most posted in the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=595106
Well holy shit...did not expect that.

I had the most posts in The Last of Us OT. 535. Damn
Here, I'm the 13th, with 114 post. Wow.

Guess that shows how much I love NeoGaf. By the far my favorite forum on the web. Mainly because you can discuss any topic, any game, movie, book, current event, article. Off topic, gaming, it's all so encompassing and broad compared to any other forum I've been a part of. Well I guess Reddit's similar in the fashion, but I prefer the traditional forum style here

And people actually have intelligent conversations here. Not the usual crap seen in other forums. As well as being personable and friendly.

Do you think The Walking Dead games might go on sale as a bundle during the sale? Still haven't played them, but they seem pretty good.

Chances of the telltale game being on sale would be about 100%, survival instinct is pretty recent but had terrible reviews so I imagine it would be at least 33% off at some point.

Milamber

Dear ModBot, who is the girls in JaseC's avatar?

*whirr* IT IS LIGHTNING FROM FINAL FANTASY *click*

Thanks, ModBot

I HAVE SPOKEN *whirr*

MikeDown

Banned
Do you think The Walking Dead games might go on sale as a bundle during the sale? Still haven't played them, but they seem pretty good.

Gosh I sure hope so. Every one has been talking about them, yet I haven't picked em' up yet. Sale seems like a good time to do that.

graywolf323

"Lurker" is simply a term for somebody who browses but doesn't contribute. This can apply both to those who can't post (i.e. unregistered users/users awaiting activation) and those that choose not to.

I'd say so.

I'm honestly not sure if I have five posts in the current thread >_<

I honestly don't think amount of posts should define lurker or not a lurker.

I think it depends on the quality of the post.

Like I've popped into various threads for movies and games, but I'm either asking for help or discussing.

So if a GAFfer's 5 posts are actual responses or genuine questions, I wouldn't call the person a lurker.

But if those 5 posts are always during giveaways, trying to claim a game, yeah that's a lurker

Unfortunately any other way besides post count would be too time consuming, but that's just my two-cents

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Maybe I'm being silly, but doesn't it seem overly complicated to make a bot for such a simple process? I'm probably missing something, but posting "First person to PM gets a Bad Rats key!" isn't all that difficult.

Genuinely not trying to take the piss, I just don't really get it.

Anyone interested in trading for Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete or LA Noire - Complete Edition?

Already own these own GTA Complete and I'm not interested in LA Noire.

EDIT: LA Noire Traded to YianGaruga GTA also traded away.

Sorry theRizzle :-/

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Anyone interested in trading for Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete or LA Noire - Complete Edition?

Already own these own GTA Complete and I'm not interested in LA Noire.

What game(s) are you interested in? I've had a mild desire to get GTA4 and LA Noire for a while.

Maybe I'm being silly, but doesn't it seem overly complicated to make a bot for such a simple process? I'm probably missing something, but posting "First person to PM gets a Bad Rats key!" isn't all that difficult.

Genuinely not trying to take the piss, I just don't really get it.
Stops people flooding your inbox, and makes multi-code giveaways quicker and ends up being less work for the giver.

I welcome our new robot key giveaway overlord.

Stops people flooding your inbox, and makes multi-code giveaways quicker and ends up being less work for the giver.

I welcome our new robot key giveaway overlord.
To welcome and accept our new lord ModBot is the only course of action.
Do not upset ModBot, do not abuse his generosity, or else he'll replace your claimed key with Bad Rats

btw; WTF is Bad Rats anyway? Must be even worse than Postal 3 to have gained such a legendary status

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry if i've missed this, as it's late and i'm nursing some mad neck pain, but if I wanted to donate a key or 2 to the bot, what's the process?

It's a secret!

(The bot isn't complete just yet so this is the initial testing phase to ensure the fundamentals are working correctly.)

Digoman

btw; WTF is Bad Rats anyway? Must be even worse than Postal 3 to have gained such a legendary status

I have never played it, but just looking at steam store page you can see why is has the mythical status. Of course, if you need more convincing (or like to suffer), you can watch TotalBiscuit's look at it here.

About the 5 posts thing for the giveaways... I'm a lurker (waste waaay to much to type each message in English) and I think the limit is fair. Yes it's arbitrary and doesn't evaluate the quality of the posts, but any other solution would be a lot of manual work, which defeat's the purpose of the bot.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ah dammit, I missed all the giveaways. Damn my need for sleep. :mad:

Still, that Modbot seems like a cool idea. No more trying out codes randomly and getting blocked by Steam for an hour. Good work so far, and good luck on its future developments.

I have never played it, but just looking at steam store page you can see why is has the mythical status. Of course, if you need more convincing (or like to suffer), you can watch TotalBiscuit's look at it here.

About the 5 posts thing for the giveaways... I'm a lurker (waste waaay to much to type each message in English) and I think the limit is fair. Yes it's arbitrary and doesn't evaluate the quality of the posts, but any other solution would be a lot of manual work, which defeat's the purpose of the bot.
I watched the link, I had to see...My eyes, my eyes, I am unclean!!!

But really, some dev decided to release that game on Steam? Freaking Icy Tower from like 2002 had better visual design and more involving gameplay than that.

Edit: And Bad Rats was released in 2009?! Did the devs dig it out of a time capsule?

Milamber

*Installing "50 Shades of Grey"*

*whirr* &#8220;I want you, and I want you now. And if you&#8217;re not going to let me gift you Bad Rats &#8211; which you deserve &#8211; I&#8217;m going to spam you on the PM this minute, quickly, for my pleasure, not yours.&#8221; *click*

Ewww...

KiDdYoNe

We should let ModBot learn some language with a markov chain algorithm and see how long it takes until he starts asking for the summer sale or who the girl in JaseCs avatar is.

Remember that guy, who left i think Quake 3 server for 3 years with bots and they became super villains? We should try this with ModBot, maybe he will screw us over and reply with fat trolling in PM lol.

Digoman

Edit: And Bad Rats was released in 2009?! Did the devs dig it out of a time capsule?

I thought that was the Steam release date, but a quick google search later and I think it's the real one....yeah... the game really is "legendary".

I actually have a copy of it in my inventory that I won during one of the steam sales (how I miss those metagames). Never had to courage to unpack it though.

The real question is... what would I do if Bad Rats adds cards? Please Valve... don't do this...

EDIT: Looking at the previous posts: how long before rule #34 applies to ModBot?

For you acheivement addicts FYI: you can download FF7 saves and automatically get the mints. I already beat the game when it released and didnt want to go through Midgar so I dowbloaded a saves and upon start the applicable mints automatically were completed.

-MD-

For you acheivement addicts FYI: you can download FF7 saves and automatically get the mints. I already beat the game when it released and didnt want to go through Midgar so I dowbloaded a saves and upon start the applicable mints automatically were completed.

Not much of an achievement at that point.

Salsa

so what if stump becomes useless now that we have modbot? this is gonna be a kill your master situation

im just jelly I dont have salsabot

Milamber

Last time I DL'ed game saves was for Sonic Adventure 2 on the DreamCast.

Exuro

Valve needs to fix this stuff. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom