• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Ah, so it forcing the lurkers to become actual contributors?

Wait, isn't that a loophole? Just post six times and then you're officially "not a lurker" and claim keys?

Unfortunately you have to set the bar somewhere, all forums suffer with it, the moment you set a min limit, those people who were happily selfish, dont suddenly change their personality overnight, all they do is abide to the min amount required to achieve their goal of free games....

Even if you set the bar at 50 posts, you will just get 50 basic replies mostly

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
IIRC a booster pack is supposed to be given to a random person every time a badge is crafted. Whether that's true or not, I dunno.

Booster packs are given out at random intervals, regardless of whether or not you're in-game, provided you've been online at least once in the past week.

Echoplx

Unfortunately you have to set the bar somewhere, all forums suffer with it, the moment you set a min limit, those people who were happily selfish, dont suddenly change their personality overnight, all they do is abide to the min amount required to achieve their goal of free games....

Luckily the bot posts who takes what so there's no longer an anonymous element to taking keys.

Tak3n

Banned
Booster packs are given out at random intervals, regardless of whether or not you're in-game, provided you've been online at least once in the past week.

I am sure you know Jase but Reus is on sale @ GMG, if I recall you were waiting for that

Ceebs

Okay, that Modbot stuff is super impressive.Would be cool if it could do steam gifts as well by sending a PM back to the person giving away a game with the email address to gift the game to. Would not be fully automated, but would still keep track of how often people are claiming games.

And the giveawayer could put some restrictions to claim the keys. For example, to not have claimed keys in the last 2 weeks/months/years

JaseC

I am sure you know Jase but Reus is on sale @ GMG, if I recall you were waiting for that

Yeah, I snapped it up (in addition to Pressure, which I thought I already owned but had confused with Patterns), even though the discount was less than what the leaked background image stated (33% rather than 50%; the 20% discount code almost made up the difference).

Damn, I took a closer look at the Who's Posted for this thread

Over half of the posters have 5 posts or less. At least a quarter have only 1 post. Kind of sad. I was expecting it to be much much less.

In reality, only a handful of GAFfers, about 70+, have at least fifty posts in the thread

Whooter

Has anyone else gotten more than one booster pack? I got a Portal 2 one back when they first started sending them out, and just got another on Saturday morning (TF2.)

JaseC

Has anyone else gotten more than one booster pack? I got a Portal 2 one back when they first started sending them out, and just got another on Saturday morning (TF2.)

I received my second one yesterday.

Edit: Which was Saturday, so, yeah, same situation.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Received a Brütal Legend pack two weeks ago and a Psychonauts pack yesterday, so yes.
I coud make a really lame DoubleFine joke right now, but i'm too tired.

IIRC a booster pack is supposed to be given to a random person every time a badge is crafted. Whether that's true or not, I dunno.

Also, the higher your level the higher your chance is of getting one.

So I wasn't going insane then.

i'm just 10 so I guess I got lucky?

What's this ubisoft test app ? what exactly is ubisoft testing ? Can't install or delete it and it's driving me nuts. Reboot/restarting steam does not get rid of it. Neither does deleting the client registry blob thingy.

ubisofttestappvyszu.png

Whooter

What's this ubisoft test app ? what exactly is ubisoft testing ? Can't install or delete it and it's driving me nuts. Reboot/restarting steam does not get rid of it. Neither does deleting the client registry blob thingy.

ubisofttestappvyszu.png

It's testing to see how long you'll fuck with it before giving up.

It's testing to see how long you'll fuck with it before giving up.

Pretty good test, I've lasted several hours at this point. Hope to get some results soon.

Wait, I did play the trials beta at some point but that wasn't through steam it was uplay nonsense. Could that somehow have infected my steam client with this test app nonsense?

Digoman

ubisofttestappvyszu.png

I had the same thing recently. Stayed for months. Then I noticed that it was not there when logging on another computer, so it was something "local". Finally I did a full "refresh" of the Steam installation to get rid of it.

Steam Support: How to remove and refresh your Steam files

Now that I'm intrigued, I checked the 2012 thread as well. Roughly 60% of the posters had 5 posts or less. However this thread has almost the twice the number of posts of the 2012 thread in half the time (almost 12,000 vs 6,000+)

And the same with both 2011 threads. About half of the posters would be considered lurkers as defined as 5 posts or less

GAMERG0D

Over half of the posters have 5 posts or less. At least a quarter have only 1 post. Kind of sad. I was expecting it to be much much less.

In reality, only a handful of GAFfers, about 70+, have at least fifty posts in the thread
I only have 26? I thought I would have had much less. In reality I usually just read this thread because I don't have a gaming PC yet so I take in all this information, but I give away keys sometimes from bundles and such. I do think the limit should be higher than 5 though, but that's just what I think.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

What the heck am I doing on the thirteenth place? I don't come here that often.
Or so I thought.

Tak3n

Banned
if you can get past the total mess up of the game at Launch, if GMG come back with Aliens Marines + Season pass again, if you have not played it I can recommend it...

They have done a lot of patches to make it look good and the Xenomorphs are now really aggressive...

I appreciate the console versions are probably still naff, but I for one would like to see a proper site give it another review..

The problem is it is so toxic now

I had the same thing recently. Stayed for months. Then I noticed that it was not there when logging on another computer, so it was something "local". Finally I did a full "refresh" of the Steam installation to get rid of it.

Steam Support: How to remove and refresh your Steam files

That worked, it sucked when I didn't remember my password and had to reauthenticate steam guard but it did work. My library is ubisoft test app free now.

Deques

It seems I need to spam a bit more

Knurek

So, I've been playing Mass Effect recently (Origin version though, but it doesn't seem to need the client running). Renegade FemShep, aka the only proper way to play the game.

It's quite nice, everything other than Mako driving that is.

If anyone's still on the fence, should be discounted in the Seal. Grab it then, well worth $5.

It's really hard to be a lurker. Years and years and I'm still not a member. This is one of the only threads I read constantly, but it is kind of like jumping onto the set of your favorite long running tv show randomly. Wouldn't you rather just watch it?

BorntoPlay

the Mako mission rock!!.. i missed in later games...:(

So, I've been playing Mass Effect recently (Origin version though, but it doesn't seem to need the client running). Renegade FemShep, aka the only proper way to play the game.

It's quite nice, everything other than Mako driving that is.

If anyone's still on the fence, should be discounted in the Seal. Grab it then, well worth $5.

Maxwood

Yeah, I kinda missed the Mako in the sequels. There was something relaxing about it, and you could really suck up the atmosphere.

I bet it is now that you can't steal our keys anymore you filth

I bet you're only making this post to have enough for modbot I BET

Modbot already gave me a key. Muahahaha. I bet you wanted Doc Clock for yourself. I only took it since I didn't know it was a real game. But now I have it and you don't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom