• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I've been gone the last couple of days.

What did I miss today? Can anyone sum it up for me?

I got a PM from Stump this morning detailing the new mod bot so I know about that.

So, I've been playing Mass Effect recently (Origin version though, but it doesn't seem to need the client running). Renegade FemShep, aka the only proper way to play the game.

It's quite nice, everything other than Mako driving that is.

If anyone's still on the fence, should be discounted in the Seal. Grab it then, well worth $5.

I've been monitoring this mod very closely http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/8565134/1

Great Mass Effect texture mod that is being converted to run without TexMod.

In case you don't know, TexMod is the wrapper that allows Mass Effect modders to load in alternate textures and other mods. The problem is the performance hit is crazy and it is a very temperamental program.
It actually takes about 5-10 minutes just to start Mass Effect with TexMod and some of these larger mod packs.

He says that he should be fully converted to just a stand alone mod in about a week.

37945424.jpg

It's really hard to be a lurker. Years and years and I'm still not a member. This is one of the only threads I read constantly, but it is kind of like jumping onto the set of your favorite long running tv show randomly. Wouldn't you rather just watch it?

Well nice to see you post.

I think you only need about 30 more posts to become a member. I could be mistaken though.

It's really hard to be a lurker. Years and years and I'm still not a member. This is one of the only threads I read constantly, but it is kind of like jumping onto the set of your favorite long running tv show randomly. Wouldn't you rather just watch it?
Dude, you are so close to 300 posts. Stay here with us and you'll be a member in no time. And you already have 13 posts in this thread so you're technically not a lurker

anyone played Dungeonland, you can pick it up for peanuts over at Nuuvem...

Great idea sadly with no community

I got it recently for nout in the GMG sales. Seemed okay, but was a little slow and plodding for my liking. Perhaps it was done on purpose to help create a more precise tactical experience in multiplier but in solo it got boring fast.

Here's a post with content:

I've played 99% of Dust: A Furryisian Tale in the last few days, I'll finish it up tomorrow. It's a quality game, recommended. I don't really like the style of art, but I do appreciate the quality and craft inherent. I do dislike some of the backtracking I've done in an attempt to get 100% simply because the map makes it unclear what sort of obstacle impeded your progress previously. And sometimes I ventured to an earlier level and double jumped to just get a key.

Here's a post with content:
IMO if you're labeling "posts with content", you doing it wrong. As if there's a right way but that just seems kind of forced. Just IDK...integrate yourself into a conversation and you'll be a member in a hour or two

You only need like eight or nine more posts
(It's 300 posts to become a member, right?)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I've only experienced that once, if I remember correct. Drove off the moon.
That was just as nice as Skyrim's teleporting Mammoths, they shouldn't fix that.

Controls where far from optimal, though. But somehow, I liked it. Same goes for probing in the sequel.

cicero

Soon the Steam threads will be filled with even more nonsense posts as people try to get over whatever post limit the bot has designated so they can nab free games.

Tak3n

Banned
I got it recently for nout in the GMG sales. Seemed okay, but was a little slow and plodding for my liking. Perhaps it was done on purpose to help create a more precise tactical experience in multiplier but in solo it got boring fast.

yeah it would do, it is not meant to be played solo at all really, the downside is I could never find a single MP game, so if you dont have someone in your house with you to play co-op then the game is trash

botlite

For anyone who is still on the fence about Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed let me tell you that it's fantastic. It looks great, runs well, is full of charm and it puts a smile on your face while you play. Even if you're not into racing or karting games I really think you should pick it up. I avoided picking it up for a while as I am not into Sonic games or their characters but I have to say that it's one of the best purchases I've made in a while. Buy it!

FYC

Banned
Ace of Spades is a must buy if you like wasted potential. It is probably the best example of it!

The devs are unbelievably incompetent. I bought the game for Zombie mode after watching some gameplay because the idea of building forts to hold off zombies and zombies crawling underground to popup beneath people looked awesome. It's a decent game however Jagex has no fucking clue what they're doing. It is always one step forward, two steps back and they take forever to fix it. Been browising the AoS official forums for a while, it's just sort of sad at this point. Like, Ace of Spades came with a server list like the majority of multiplayer FPS on PC and it was awesome, but people wanted to host their own games. "Okay," says Jagex, "you now have the ability to host, but for some reason we're taking out the server list and replacing it with a matchmaking / lobby system that will put in empty games 80% of the time". Also a broken vote/kick system that everyone abuses. At this point you are lucky to find a game outside of peak hours, almost nobody plays. They thankfully plan on bringing back servers but there's a lot more that needs to be done. They also keep teasing this map editor with an image, but why are you fucking teasing it and not giving info when your playerbase hates your guts and needs more info to keep them around / confident in you? JUST GIVE PEOPLE THE DETAILS, OH MY GOD.

I like the game, honestly. It's rough but you can still have some fun with it. I hope that Jagex gives this game more attention and makes it F2P. Hopefully they can salvage it before it's too late, but I honestly think it might be shutdown before the year ends at this rate.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
For anyone who is still on the fence about Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed let me tell you that it's fantastic. It looks great, runs well, is full of charm and it puts a smile on your face while you play. Even if you're not into racing or karting games I really think you should pick it up. I avoided picking it up for a while as I am not into Sonic games or their characters but I have to say that it's one of the best purchases I've made in a while. Buy it!
Another Threepwood aproves.
It's fantastic.

So Dustforce..looks like N with awesome visuals and combat mixed with Hotline Miami's level combos

Any demos? And any chance at more content updates and level editor?

cicero

IMO if you're labeling "posts with content", you doing it wrong. As if there's a right way but that just seems kind of forced. Just IDK...integrate yourself into a conversation and you'll be a member in a hour or two

You only need like eight or nine more posts
(It's 300 posts to become a member, right?)
You are going out of your way to try to quickly top Jase as the top poster in this thread, aren't you.

Tak3n

Banned
What did I miss today guys?

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Mostly discussions about the new Bot, and lurkers, then everyone looking at who is posting the most/least...

Then people posting and other people saying your only posting because of Bot.....

The occasionaly trading cards discussion, not a lot about games

Unfortunately that's exactly what I predict will happen. The lurkers will just meet the minimum requirements and then just got to lurking as usual

For sure, but once they grab a key for some 1c game from an indie bundle they'll be unable to grab the rest or even to grab something more substantial when it rolls around.

Not perfect, but should be a lot better.

I'd recommend getting the frequent contributors on your friend list and then gifting through steam as the fall back.

You are going out of your way to try to quickly top Jase as the top poster in this thread, aren't you.
What? No, I just like discussing stuff and I'm still relatively new to Steam so I ask a lot of questions.

Trust me, I'm shocked that I'm the top poster in TLOU OT.

Xavin

Neo Member
5 posts seems like a good amount for the bot.
I been a member since Jan this year and I read the steamgaf thread daily.
I'm having trouble joining conversations so that's why my post count is pretty much non existent.
I really enjoy giving away games too steamgaf but a too high min post bar would feel like an obstacle.

Edit. Missunderstood the post bar thing, thought you needed a 5+ posts to contribute with keys.

I've been monitoring this mod very closely http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/8565134/1

In case you don't know, TexMod is the wrapper that allows Mass Effect modders to load in alternate textures and other mods. The problem is the performance hit is crazy and it is a very temperamental program.
It actually takes about 5-10 minutes just to start Mass Effect with TexMod and some of these larger mod packs.

He says that he should be fully converted to just a stand alone mod in about a week.

Wow. That looks absurdly good, hope it really will be release as a standalone mod in the next few weeks. I'm still finishing my first playthrough of ME2 and the only thing that's been disappointing so far is the visuals.

deejay

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 23 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Capsized -- MB-2C876A6A570E35FF - Taken by Deques
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-9445B9BBBD79F3BE - Taken by Servizio
Tiny and Big -- MB-69F5CF29E2626254 - Taken by kami_sama
Oil Rush -- MB-65AC414F8BFF3672
Offspring Fling -- MB-FEBE0A6277B41317 - Taken by Exuro
Crusader Kings Complete -- MB-2A91CEA629FD8CB3 - Taken by deejay
Lucid -- MB-085769B2E82B3BB1
Fractal -- MB-0A9E3D39B2993A97
NightSky -- MB-C1D7862A0F5C54FC
Waking Mars -- MB-7C98D49381C30EDD - Taken by Milamber
Titan Quest -- MB-FBB70B6C0C6A4C33 - Taken by reddmyst
Cogs -- MB-BAF0DD9A110E4B39
Painkiller Overdose -- MB-D8DD8A5D599AED24
Reign Conflict of Nations -- MB-C237737E1FE1EDFD
Frozen Synapse -- MB-26DE845C5DFE11ED
Intrusion 2 -- MB-56F15D4C9D3D0BD9 - Taken by Addnan
Aquaria -- MB-D300F7E2CD7DACDE
Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-D51024433E09EDE4 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Dear Esther -- MB-2D7BD245F58A187E
English Country Tune -- MB-E55EB64ABD3EF7A9 - Taken by More Badass
Broken Sword Director's Cut -- MB-8CABB32F1D9389A9 - Taken by nogoodnamesleft
McPixel -- MB-FE52AF2CDBAD62C8 - Taken by ~Kinggi~
Vessel -- MB-1033CD7076BBB1D9

Took Crusader Kings, thanks :)

Maxwood

I don't know who took Aquaria, but let me tell you something; it's great!
So.
That's about it.

Look's beautifull, exploration is delicious and the map becomes huge, I love that.
Personally, I could have done without the combat, though.

Have fun!

Has Stump set limit between claims yet? Like let's say tomorrow (today?) is crazy with giveaways again. Would those who have taken key already be able to participate again?

metalshade

I liked whittling enemies down to one health with the mako, hopping out, and finishing them off for ridiculous experience.

Definitely the best way to kill those massive worm things, and absolutely hilarious to get the final shot with a measly pistol or something.
Played them all on my xbox.
I might buy them again on sale, damn EA for origin exclusives though.

kami_sama

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 23 Steam keys.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--five or fewer posts in the Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Capsized -- MB-2C876A6A570E35FF
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-9445B9BBBD79F3BE - Taken by Servizio
Tiny and Big -- MB-69F5CF29E2626254
Oil Rush -- MB-65AC414F8BFF3672
Offspring Fling -- MB-FEBE0A6277B41317 - Taken by Exuro
Crusader Kings Complete -- MB-2A91CEA629FD8CB3 - Taken by deejay
Lucid -- MB-085769B2E82B3BB1
Fractal -- MB-0A9E3D39B2993A97 - Taken by Delusibeta
NightSky -- MB-C1D7862A0F5C54FC - Taken by DamnTheMan
Waking Mars -- MB-7C98D49381C30EDD - Taken by Milamber
Titan Quest -- MB-FBB70B6C0C6A4C33 - Taken by reddmyst
Cogs -- MB-BAF0DD9A110E4B39
Painkiller Overdose -- MB-D8DD8A5D599AED24
Reign Conflict of Nations -- MB-C237737E1FE1EDFD
Frozen Synapse -- MB-26DE845C5DFE11ED
Intrusion 2 -- MB-56F15D4C9D3D0BD9
Aquaria -- MB-D300F7E2CD7DACDE
Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-D51024433E09EDE4 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Dear Esther -- MB-2D7BD245F58A187E
English Country Tune -- MB-E55EB64ABD3EF7A9 - Taken by More Badass
Broken Sword Director's Cut -- MB-8CABB32F1D9389A9 - Taken by nogoodnamesleft
McPixel -- MB-FE52AF2CDBAD62C8 - Taken by ~Kinggi~
Vessel -- MB-1033CD7076BBB1D9

Took Tiny and Big! Thanks!

Leks

Wouh, fantastic news! I gave up because of the length to start the game, but from what I've played, these mod packs are visually great.

Time to reinstall the game!

Wok

It is great to see keys given away in a four-hour-old post are still available! Good job with the ModBot. :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:

EDGE -- MB-FFC870FE0EED45E3

Grief.exe

Wow. That looks absurdly good, hope it really will be release as a standalone mod in the next few weeks. I'm still finishing my first playthrough of ME2 and the only thing that's been disappointing so far is the visuals.

Mass Effect looks horrible without mods.

TexMod was actually failing for me after a bit, and I just couldn't continue my play through without the mods.

Has Stump set limit between claims yet? Like let's say tomorrow (today?) is crazy with giveaways again. Would those who have taken key already be able to participate again?

It sounds like, for now, the limit is basically indefinite. IE you take a key and you are locked out for future ones. Unless something changed over the course of the day.

That will probably be changed for the future.

This ModBot thing seems pretty neat. I've seen a lot of posters do the "quote me for key" or just post the key (which anyone can claim). Making it more organized will be a lot easier, that's for sure. Is there an official post on how this all works?

Also, thanks to everyone who added me on their Steam friends list. It's nice seeing what other gaffers are playing and recommending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom