• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

So I just started Baldur's Gate "Enhanced" Edition and found out the very first sidequest (literally one minute into the game) is bugged. Apparently it has been so since February, users have been putting out patches to fix this, the developers promised to officially fix this but it's July and... yeah, it's still bugged. Regretting handing them money, even though I bought the game from Nuuvem very cheap, but still... Jesus.
I think I'm gonna play the original from GOG at some point.

smr00

Banned
Has anyone played Deadlight? Looks rather interesting. Hoping to see it fall under 10$ soon.
I played it on 360 and loved it, been waiting on a deal for PC to play through it again.

So, what does everyone currently have installed? For me:

raK3prk.jpg

And of those, I am currently playing Diablo III, FM 2013 Demo, GRID, NBA 2K13, Sleeping Dogs and VT4.
I just formatted last night and this is all i moved over from my external drive so far.

I try not to keep more than 20ish games installed at a time or i will never be able to decide what to play and once i beat a game i uninstall it to keep room. DLC/Mark/Gunslinger/Bastion will be swapped out soon since i already beat DLC and plan on finished the other 3 in the next few days.

Okay, a noob question about the Summer Sale: once a game is on sale, it remains discounted for the entire sale, right? And then there are daily deals where a game (or games?) are discounted even more

Cause I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and I'll be in Florida for two weeks. So thank god for 3G so I'll be able to buy stuff on the drive down. But once I'm down there, I won't be around my phone as much. So I'd hate to miss a discount or something

Tomodachi

Okay, a noob question about the Summer Sale: once a game is on sale, it remains on sale for the entire sale, right? And then there are daily deals where a game (or games?) are discounted even more

Cause I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and I'll be in Florida for two weeks. So thank god for 3G so I'll be able to buy stuff on the drive down. But once I'm down there, I won't be around my phone as much. So I'd hate to miss a discount or something

The "rules" aren't always the same, although it's usually as you said. "Base" deals are usually not that interesting, hence the "wait for the daily deals" meme. There also have been "flash deals" lately, during only 6 hours or so, so you might want your phone with you at all times during your vacation :p

derExperte

Has anyone played Deadlight? Looks rather interesting. Hoping to see it fall under 10$ soon.

Looks better than it plays, some parts are really frustrating. Still not bad and I'm sure you can get it cheaper soon, was on sale before and in some bundles.

The "rules" aren't always the same, although it's usually as you said. "Base" deals are usually not that interesting, hence the "wait for the daily deals" meme. There also have been "flash deals" lately, during only 6 hours or so, so you might want your phone with you at all times during your vacation :p

But last time the shorter deals were repeated very often so missing one wasn't a problem.

Razorskin

----- ------
Okay, a noob question about the Summer Sale: once a game is on sale, it remains discounted for the entire sale, right? And then there are daily deals where a game (or games?) are discounted even more

The real good discounts are dailies and flash deals, so you'll watch to check quite often sadly.

Chronoja

The real good discounts are dailies and flash deals, so you'll watch to check quite often sadly.

While it is good to check often, it got to the point in the previous winter sale where everything was repeated so damn often that it became boring. If you happened to miss a deal on anything you wanted then the universe was probably trying to tell you you didn't need the game.

botlite

Ahw man, Prince Of Persia. I can imagine that looking absolutely stunning on PC.
How's the port?

It's been a while since I played it but I remember it running quite well. I believe there was a dlc released on the consoles that never came to the pc though. I wish we got a sequel.

Jintor

This damn reoccuring problem where some games don't kill the steam overlay correctly so you end up with 17 goddamn hours in some indie game by accident and the only way to stop it is to kill steam entirely through the task manager

I am shocked that Interstellar Marines still exists. I remember the Game Informer magazine back in 2005 that had a first look preview of the game back when it was Project IM

That was 8 years ago. All I remembered was the shark enemies. I thought the game had died. Guess not.

So was Interstelllar the first crowd funded game?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This damn reoccuring problem where some games don't kill the steam overlay correctly so you end up with 17 goddamn hours in some indie game by accident and the only way to stop it is to kill steam entirely through the task manager

The issue is that they don't kill their own process properly, not the overlay one. You need to look through the process list a bit more carefully next time.

Have it on XBLA. I'd only recommend at a discounted price. It's kind of short and some parts are just frustrating or feel like wasted potential IMO. On the other hand, the art style and whole atmosphere is fantastic and the game is really good at invoking panic and tension

Jintor

The issue is that they don't kill their own process properly, not the overlay one. You need to look through the process list a bit more carefully next time.

I don't really care who's fault it is, I just care that I rack up these dumb unplayed hours on my record and I can't keep track of how much time I've actually poured into these things.

MikeDown

Banned
It's been a while since I played it but I remember it running quite well. I believe there was a dlc released on the consoles that never came to the pc though. I wish we got a sequel.

PoP 2008 was the only game I liked from the franchise. I played it on console and want to get it for PC. As I recall I really enjoyed the characters, story & boss fights, but the game seems to drag on at times w/ endless platforming. And some of the battles are really annoying. The ending though, when I first played it I absolutely hated it, but since then I have grown to appreciate it more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, it is morning again.

Stuff to deal with:
1) Until now, ModBot has let you add a duplicate key for relisting but has not given you an error or an alert that you're adding a duplicate key. But then on the redemption side it would check and see that the original of the duplicate key was redeemed and fail the redemption. So obviously that's an issue in terms of people accidentally re-adding taken keys. So now ModBot reports an error to you if you try to add a duplicate key (it'll add all your other keys successfully). Which, by the way, also means don't take a key unless you want the key because it can't be relisted now. If you accidentally take a key you don't want, you'll have to post it in plain text and have an unregistered guest steal it or something. I will try to think of a more elegant way to do this that involves as minimal user effort as possible.

2) Still need to work on the automatic post editor, it doesn't seem to get it 100% of the time. I have a few ideas about how to improve reliability. Edit: Fixed, okay so the automatic post editor should really work 100% of the time now.

3) We need a way to bulk-print all unclaimed keys--actually it'd be pretty cool if the key wasn't claimed after, say, a week, ModBot could repost it with no rules and a message saying "Please, anybody, take these keys, holy crap... free to a good home or even to an endless backlog, just take them and redeem them".

Is there a way to save the configuration of my Steam Library i.e. what games are installed and what categories I have assigned to them?

I somehow borked Steam earlier, losing quite a few installed games and categories so I had to go through the tedious process of rectifying it all.

If there is a way of saving this so if it happens again I can more easily restore it that would be great.

Also, is there a way to assign more than one category to a game e.g. GOG, Shortcut etc?

Thanks for the responses re: Deadlight. An enjoyable atmosphere is enough for me. $10 or less and I will bite. Just building up a nice collection for my new laptop(GTX780m, Haswell etc) to play on my tv with a 360 pad.

Yes I realise it won't be a demanding game graphically, But I am enjoying indies lately.

I wish steam would update how categories are handled. It's so slow and tedious to do.

Turfster

Okay, it is morning again.

Stuff to deal with:
1) Until now, ModBot has let you add a duplicate key for relisting but has not given you an error or an alert that you're adding a duplicate key. But then on the redemption side it would check and see that the original of the duplicate key was redeemed and fail the redemption. So obviously that's an issue in terms of people accidentally re-adding taken keys. So now ModBot reports an error to you if you try to add a duplicate key (it'll add all your other keys successfully). Which, by the way, also means don't take a key unless you want the key because it can't be relisted now. If you accidentally take a key you don't want, you'll have to post it in plain text and have an unregistered guest steal it or something. I will try to think of a more elegant way to do this that involves as minimal user effort as possible.

2) Still need to work on the automatic post editor, it doesn't seem to get it 100% of the time. I have a few ideas about how to improve reliability.

3) We need a way to bulk-print all unclaimed keys--actually it'd be pretty cool if the key wasn't claimed after, say, a week, ModBot could repost it with no rules and a message saying "Please, anybody, take these keys, holy crap... free to a good home or even to an endless backlog, just take them and redeem them".
1) The bot knows who took which key (or you could easily store the key on grab and keep it for say, a week) On adding a new key by a user, see if the same combination already exists. If it does, it's a relist, if not, duplicate key error.

3) I don't know exactly how you're storing your keys, but the last time I did something vaguely similar to this, I entered the add date to my sql database and then once every day, I queried the whole database for things that were older than, in this case, a week, and listed them. Shouldn't be too hard to implement anyway.

Awesome, that modbot idea. Somebody should write some instructions on how to create giveaways with modbot on the first page of this thread

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
3) I don't know exactly how you're storing your keys, but the last time I did something vaguely similar to this, I entered the add date to my sql database and then once every day, I queried the whole database for things that were older than, in this case, a week, and listed them. Shouldn't be too hard to implement anyway.

Yeah it's not difficult at the DB level at all, I just need to actually write the function to do the post or whatever :p

I second modbot instructions on front page once happy it is working well enough.

Currently working on a giveaway myself, not quite the level of the one posted last night. But a give away none the less.

Is the way to set up giveaways through ModBot already in place and you haven't shared it yet? Or it's not created yet?

Cause my idea would be to set it up the same way Ive seen polls set up in other forums. You have an option to include a giveaway in your post. You select how many giveaway choices there will be. Once decided, you're taken to a screen where you basically just fill in the blanks and set other options like open to lurkers, duration, etc

Could something like that work?

Turfster

Is the way to set up giveaways through ModBot already in place and you haven't shared it yet? Or it's not created yet?

Cause my idea would be to set it up the same way Ive seen polls set up in other forums. You have an option to include a giveaway in your post. You select how many giveaway choices there will be. Once decided, you're taken to a screen where you basically just fill in the blanks and set other options like open to lurkers, duration, etc

Could something like that work?

That would require integration with vbulletin.
I assume the current bot is a separate program that monitors the inbox of its account (that's how I'd do it anyway ;)

kafiend

Just a note to anyone funding their Steam wallet and using The Market.

I added funds using a card that I'm pretty sure I have used in the past and the thanks I get from Steam is a nice week long ban from buying selling on the Market. I see others on the forums complaining and I've contacted support.

A week.....ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom