• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezard

I love HL2 and EP1 and have played the shit out of them, but I have yet to try EP2. You guys are not alone. I'm just saving it until HL3 is announced so I have something to play while waiting lol.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I love HL2 and EP1 and have played the shit out of them, but I have yet to try EP2. You guys are not alone. I'm just saving it until HL3 is announced so I have something to play while waiting lol.
That's a bit weird.
Makes sense, though. Somehow. Somewhere.
If I where a Half-Life fan i'd go play the darn thing right now.

Grief.exe

Just play it. Valve learned from HL2 and EP1 and crafted an excellent experience for EP2.

Perfectly paced, great gameplay, and doesn't overstay its welcome. Also has one of the most pulse pounding 'bosses'
referring to the silo defense
that has ever been in a Half-Life game.

That's a bit weird.
Makes sense, though. Somehow. Somewhere.
If I where a Half-Life fan i'd go play the darn thing right now.

Jase is doing the exact same thing actually.

Knurek

That looks amazing. How did you do it?

This probably can be done with just editing the default Steam skin layouts, but I'll leave that to more adventurous.

What I did was I installed and switched to Steam Compact skin

Then I edited Steam\skins\Compact\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout and changed GridView.DropShadowLeading value from "10" to "3" (feel free to experiment with the value, this affects vertical line size between images in the grid. Sadly I couldn't find a way to change the horizontal padding size between rows, so the grid view is somewhat asimetrical (if that bothers you, switch back the "3" to "10").

After that, replace d:\Gry\pc\Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout with this one: http://pastebin.com/Ee6xTCLB

Please note that Steam executable does some very basic verification on the content of this file, so make sure your updated gamespage_grid.layout has exactly 2 791 bytes, otherwise Steam will revert the file to the default version on next startup.

Just play it. Valve learned from HL2 and EP1 and crafted an excellent experience for EP2.

Perfectly paced, great gameplay
All I'm gonna say is you fight nothing but regular antlions in an enclosed spot for at least 10 minutes in Ep 2. That's some Xen tier bad and definitely the lowest point for me in the entire HL2 series.

Smiles Davis

Neo Member
one of the most pulse pounding 'bosses'
referring to the silo defense
that has ever been in a Half-Life game.

I love the 'boss' of Ep2. Every time I've played, it finishes with a last second, Hail Mary lob to take out the last enemy before everything is lost. If they are cheating AI to make it always come out like this, I can't tell. Its a blast to play.

I bought 7 mystery cards so far. Just wait until my other cards sell and I'll have the rest. Can't wait until these turn into Bad Rats coupons on Thursday!

Half Price Books is my jam for older PC titles. I've found boxed copies of Half Life 1, The Last Express, The Longest Journey, and The 11th Hour all for under 3 dollars each. I feel like I'll find a copy of Grim Fandango if I just keep going back.

Ezra2680

Any impressions on Starforge?

I was looking at getting it. But after looking at the steam community forums, I think I'll wait. Guess there isn't a whole lot of actual gameplay right now and development is moving kinda slow. There also is not currently a 'Save Game' feature, so you have to start fresh every time you load it up.

Freezard

I bought 7 mystery cards so far. Just wait until my other cards sell and I'll have the rest. Can't wait until these turn into Bad Rats coupons on Thursday!

Do you guys think you won't be able to get Mystery Cards by crafting when the summer sale has started? I have 77 cards in my inventory, planning to craft when the sale has started but maybe that would be too late.

Ledsen

Just found out about this ModBot thing, it's pretty awesome indeed Stump. Sadly I can't see that it would be a viable option for the "Take one, give one" thread, unless you could somehow force people to include a valid key of their own in their claim PM. Would probably work except as far as I know, there's no way to check if people put a valid key in there short of actually redeeming it.

edit: Also Grief, thanks for repping Take One, Give One in the OP!

Regarding Starforge or any game for that matter:

I have Windows 7 and Pentinum Dual Core B970 that runs @ 2.4 GHz

Only spec I don't meet is graphics. Could I run the game at lowest settings? Or I wouldn't be able to run it at all?

Chronoja

Do you guys think you won't be able to get Mystery Cards by crafting when the summer sale has started? I have 77 cards in my inventory, planning to craft when the sale has started but maybe that would be too late.

Noone knows. They probably will remain craftable during the summer sale but if you weren't willing to take the risk why not craft half now and half later and be safe...ish on both situations? Just a suggestion.

I really have no idea. I don't think anyone knows. I wouldn't think having them early would be a disadvantage though. Just remember there's ten distinct ones though you can only tell by script. Seems likely that at least one more will be added at some point to make a set.
http://steamdb.info/blog/20/

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

You'll be able to get them during the sale. The idea that you have to have them all before the sale starts is absurd. What kind of metagame would that be?

Grief.exe

Just found out about this ModBot thing, it's pretty awesome indeed Stump. Sadly I can't see that it would be a viable option for the "Take one, give one" thread, unless you could somehow force people to include a valid key of their own in their claim PM. Would probably work except as far as I know, there's no way to check if people put a valid key in there short of actually redeeming it.

edit: Also Grief, thanks for repping Take One, Give One in the OP!

No problem.

I still need to pretty up the icons I created and remove that white border around the older ones.

As you can imagine its quite boring work and I'd rather be working on awesome games like Rogue Legacy or Alan Wake DLC while I'm at my computer.

Ezra2680

Regarding Starforge or any game for that matter:

I have Windows 7 and Pentinum Dual Core B970 that runs @ 2.4 GHz

Only spec I don't meet is graphics. Could I run the game at lowest settings? Or I wouldn't be able to run it at all?

Doubt you'll be able to run it at all on your laptop. It is currently geared towards high end PC's. Maybe in the future if they do some optimization

This probably can be done with just editing the default Steam skin layouts, but I'll leave that to more adventurous.

What I did was I installed and switched to Steam Compact skin

Then I edited Steam\skins\Compact\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout and changed GridView.DropShadowLeading value from "10" to "3" (feel free to experiment with the value, this affects vertical line size between images in the grid. Sadly I couldn't find a way to change the horizontal padding size between rows, so the grid view is somewhat asimetrical (if that bothers you, switch back the "3" to "10").

After that, replace d:\Gry\pc\Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout with this one: http://pastebin.com/Ee6xTCLB

Please note that Steam executable does some very basic verification on the content of this file, so make sure your updated gamespage_grid.layout has exactly 2 791 bytes, otherwise Steam will revert the file to the default version on next startup.
Thanks for the tip! I'm using a different Steam skin but with a bit of tweaking I managed to make it work.

My installed games (they still won't fit)
RwBcK7a.jpg

Acorn

Really want the sale now before I use all of this months disposable funds.

Anyway WTF at the difference in release dates with Civ 5 brave new world. Its Tuesday for US and Friday for uk(and europe I assume) considering the sales will be heavily digital what the fuck is the point of it?

Really annoyed at release date differences in this day and age. On that note is there any IP spoofers I should use to unlock it on Tuesday and stay off-line until Friday?

Grief.exe

Doubt you'll be able to run it at all on your laptop. It is currently geared towards high end PC's. Maybe in the future if they do some optimization

Optimization is usually one of the last things to go into game development. If a game is in alpha, then it will likely be fairly unoptimized.

Procedurally generated massive open worlds are notoriously tough to run.

Thanks for the tip! I'm using a different Steam skin but with a bit of tweaking I managed to make it work.

My installed games (they still won't fit)

RwBcK7a.jpg

Looks really good

Really want the sale now before I use all of this months disposable funds.

Anyway WTF at the difference in release dates with Civ 5 brave new world. Its Tuesday for US and Friday for uk(and europe I assume) considering the sales will be heavily digital what the fuck is the point of it?

Really annoyed at release date differences in this day and age. On that note is there any IP spoofers I should use to unlock it on Tuesday and stay off-line until Friday?

Spotflux still works for those situations.

ARe there any Steam skins that will allow me to change the size of the font, or are just larger in general? I game/web surf from my living room HTPC/big screen, and the font on things like wallet or options is so tiny I can't read it half the time. I know about Big screen mode, but the market doesn't work in that.

Dawg

Grief, why is the trading card and Take one Give one icon in the OP slightly more to the left than the other icons?

It triggers my OCD.

Dambrosi

Banned
I always use detail view.
JoJo fans think alike.

And while I did buy Transformed, I think I'll wait a while before I play it. I prefer to finish single-player modes of games before going online with them, see. Just my thing.

Actually, it's been a great week for deals on Steam. First off, Dust & Baldur's Gate Enhanced on midweek sale, then Sonic Transformed on weekend sale and free trial. Can't really shake a stick at that.

Grief.exe

Grief, why is the trading card and Take one Give one icon in the OP slightly more to the left than the other icons?

It triggers my OCD.

I explained it about a page back, but the original icons from the thread weren't made correctly.

They have those white borders around them, which I am assuming was done in Paint sometime after they were created.

The Icons I created don't have those borders around them.

I need to go back and fix the old icons, and further pretty-up the new ones I made. Fairly boring work, but I will get around to it fairly soon.

Tobinishi

Just started new game+ in Rogue Legay (level 78). Now it gets interesting ;) i have a hard time staying alive for more than 5 rooms ;)

@cards:

I have 2 mystery cards now, maybe i will be able to get 1-2 more before the sale starts. Still have 4 games with trading cards i havent even started yet.

Got it, I was being optimistic

But damn Starforge looks awesome. Very happy that the procedural sandbox survival genre got so popular

Dawg

I explained it about a page back, but the original icons from the thread weren't made correctly.

They have those white borders around them, which I am assuming was done in Paint sometime after they were created.

The Icons I created don't have those borders around them.

I need to go back and fix the old icons, and further pretty-up the new ones I made. Fairly boring work, but I will get around to it fairly soon.

yeah, it's ok. Take your time

i can't sleep at night until you fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom