• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimajneb

My first Offspring Fling card is already worth less than $0.30. Valve really should reconsider how the whole trading card economy works, its ridiculous that everything is immediately worthless. They should implement really rarity stats for each card, rather than just common and foil. Then you'd at least have a chance of getting something valuable.

They also need to come up with something else to do with cards other then crafting badges. It seems like only a handful of people care about buying cards for each game, and once they craft the badge they have no reason to buy more.

Tying card drops to certain achievements so that people will actually have to play the game to earn cards might be a good idea too. It's just too easy for everyone to grab cards just so they can resell them.

73V3N

Banned
My first Offspring Fling card is already worth less than $0.30. Valve really should reconsider how the whole trading card economy works, its ridiculous that everything is immediately worthless. They should implement really rarity stats for each card, rather than just common and foil. Then you'd at least have a chance of getting something valuable.

They also need to come up with something else to do with cards other then crafting badges. It seems like only a handful of people care about buying cards for each game, and once they craft the badge they have no reason to buy more.

Tying card drops to certain achievements so that people will actually have to play the game to earn cards might be a good idea too. It's just too easy for everyone to grab cards just so they can resell them.

Yu-Gi-Oh! f2p

Who said the cards needed to be worth something? Maybe this is the intended effect of an increased pool of cards... like everyone said it would be many weeks ago.

Tak3n

Banned

What I think is worse is that no matter how long you play a game you dont get the whole set

It's a little weird that the TF2 card market seems to be relatively untouched by all the undercutting. Are they maybe the only ones getting bought with any regularity?

Steam should just deposit money into my Steam wallet automatically instead of giving me cards. this sucks.

Heh, I actually PLAYED offspring fling for a while instead of just running in the background. I have to say it's really fun. And the soundtrack rocks.

KingKong

It's a little weird that the TF2 card market seems to be relatively untouched by all the undercutting. Are they maybe the only ones getting bought with any regularity?

most people didnt play TF2 before it went f2p so they'd have to spend 9$ to earn a single card drop

Heh, I actually PLAYED offspring fling for a while instead of just running in the background. I have to say it's really fun. And the soundtrack rocks.
I've been playing it too so different to Hotline Miami that I tried earlier lol

What I think is worse is that no matter how long you play a game you dont get the whole set

Can't you technically get them all via Booster Packs?

And that's the point, you aren't supposed to be able to do it all by yourself.

So essentially beta players already have advantage over non-beta for cards eh? :p

yes. Cards are now basically being used to sell for money. Post-Beta, I imagine more people will craft badges as the prices will be dirt.

KingKong

man I just wish I could sell or trade this Portal 2 snorkel, it's the only thing in my Portal 2 inventory tab and I'm never going to get anything else for it

A) You really can't judge how much a card is going to be in the first couple hours of the game cards being added.

B) There's really no way to tell how popular cards are going to be.

C) Either way it's free money you didn't have before.

Are you guys getting a wild keyboard bug from using Steam chat from within Offspring Fling? It's typing each letter a ton of times:

Buttonbasher: WhAATTTTTTTTTT
Buttonbasher: WWHHHAT IIS GGOIIING ONN WWIITHHHHHH TTTHHISSS
Catbus!: thhiiss ggaaame iis sorta bbuuggy eh?
Catbus!: soomme wouuld saay
Buttonbasher: LLiilll biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt

So I've been playing Offspring fling and I think it's a pretty fun game. The soundtrack is beautiful (especially in the second set of levels). I just don't get why the gold times are so small. I usually spend twice that time for almost all levels.

HoosTrax

So I've been playing Offspring fling and I think it's a pretty fun game. The soundtrack is beautiful (especially in the second set of levels). I just don't get why the gold times are so small. I usually spend twice that time for almost all levels.
The gold times are there for challenge, sort of like the A+ time requirements for Super Meat Boy. Anyways, I kind of like the artstyle, reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on...maybe Yoshi's Island or Tetris Attack.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Are you guys getting a wild keyboard bug from using Steam chat from within Offspring Fling? It's typing each letter a ton of times:
lol

I might try it tonight and see if it happens to me. I'm guessing it has something to do with Adobe AIR clashing with the Steam overlay.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Any cards for games that have appeared in bundles or super super cheap in the past aren't worth much. Too many copies of it. But still, free valve monies is free valve monies.

Tomodachi

yes. Cards are now basically being used to sell for money. Post-Beta, I imagine more people will craft badges as the prices will be dirt.
I'm confident they'll find a way to keep their value more or less as it is now, otherwise putting them on the market would be meaningless and I don't think Valve wants that.

Ezalc

Offspring fling, one of the few games with card that I have that is already installed. Let's see how this goes. The game is pretty fun, first time I'm playing it.

There are even times that are harder than the gold ones (dev times). I just beat one of those and got a rainbow flower.

Nimajneb

Who said the cards needed to be worth something? Maybe this is the intended effect of an increased pool of cards... like everyone said it would be many weeks ago.

Steam should just deposit money into my Steam wallet automatically instead of giving me cards. this sucks.

I'm not saying that cards should just be free money for everyone. But if Valve wants to make money off of marketplace transactions, there needs to be a reason to buy the cards at a reasonable price.

Currently there is a small portion of the Steam community who want to get the badges to raise their Steam level, or get the badge of their favorite game to display in their profile, once they have their badges the card economy will die. It has a potential to a be a cool meta game, they just need to do a lot more with it.

That's kind of the point of TRADING cards. If you got them all by yourself, it would be meaningless.

Jørdan

lI might try it tonight and see if it happens to me. I'm guessing it has something to do with Adobe AIR clashing with the Steam overlay.

Game is using 90%+ CPU for me, developer said it could be to do with Adobe Air and controller support. Disabled that but there is no bloody chance of me using K/B for this kind of game. Idling till my CPU fries or I get the last card drop, hopefully the later comes first.

HoosTrax

You guys should check out the trailer for Offspring Fling if you haven't already -- it's pretty amazing, especially for old-school Nintendo fans.

Nimajneb

You guys should check out the trailer for Offspring Fling if you haven't already -- it's pretty amazing, especially for old-school Nintendo fans.

It's a decent game at best. The mechanics are great and I love the art style, but the level and puzzle design was horrible disappointing. You can immediately see the solution for almost every level, it's just a matter of going through the motions.

I also had a lot of performance problems on my (outdated) PC, simple 2D games shouldn't be so resource intensive. The controls weren't as responsive as I would have liked either, but that's probably because of the unstable frame rate.

Zia

Max Payne 3 is out for Mac and apparently it's an in-house port. Pretty cool.

Edit: Oh, and I went ahead and grabbed the Rochard DLC so here's a Rochard code.

I find the entire Steam Market to be confusing on an economic level. I'm sure money enters the market at some point from some people, but then after that it's just the same money being recycled. Valve takes a cut of the sales, and people selling things get their Steam dollars. But then those people just spend it on Steam games. It's like the same money being recycled around different Steam functions. It's like the Paddy Dollars from that episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Or the way nobody can leave the city in Dark City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom