• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I'm scratching my head as to what you'd use the Headcrab to reference.
I don't know either, but someone in my activity feed found a clever use for random emoticons:

jo8j.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The fact that Valve didn't say there was going to be a Summer sale has me kind of worried. Surely they'd mention it with such a big announcement. =/

Exeunt

No indication of series 1 being discontinued then? Guess I better sell my Portal 2 cards while I can still get about a dollar for the lot.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Uh oh.

You have created 168 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you. Please click here to provide the necessary information. To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.

I'm not a US Citizen, but they say they have an US address for me on their database (which is stupid, because I pay my things using my International CC, which as my proper Brazilian address).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They'll just make all new cards series 2 cards. These series 1 cards will be worth $50 a piece in a few months. Believe.

Addnan

Uh oh.

I'm not a US Citizen, but they say they have an US address for me on their database (which is stupid, because I pay my things using my International CC, which as my proper Brazilian address).

Odd. Is there not an option to say you are not an American citizen. I just ticked that and they left me alone.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Odd. Is there not an option to say you are not an American citizen. I just ticked that and they left me alone.

There is, but they're saying that they have an US address on file.

Maybe back when Steam allowed you to buy as a US citizen with a fake address I used it to buy GTA , which was not available here back then.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They'll just make all new cards series 2 cards. These series 1 cards will be worth $50 a piece in a few months. Believe.
You know, since you only get about $1 in cards from one game, I have nearly nothing to lose in keeping my next set just in case this is true. The binders (show what you have) and booster packs (retaining small hope to still get one) would seem to point to them discontinuing series. The only question is how soon will they will do so. Valve gains more money for higher values of sold cards, so it is well possible.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
They don't do regular game releases during the Summer Sale. Are there any game releases scheduled for next Thursday through a week and a half after that?

Edit: Games coming out on June 28, but then nothing til July 8.

Nabs

They don't do regular game releases during the Summer Sale. Are there any game releases scheduled for next Thursday through a week and a half after that?

Toki Tori 2+ devs just pushed their release date back to the 11th.

"In a time honored Two Tribes tradition, we’ve decided to launch the game a bit later on the 11th of July instead of the 2nd as previously announced."

Dr Dogg

So save up for the Sale or splurge on cards now?

I must be getting old if I find all the meta shit with Steam is more appealing than the products they sell.

Exeunt

You know, since you only get about $1 in cards from one game, I have nearly nothing to lose in keeping my next set just in case this is true. The binders (show what you have) and booster packs (retaining small hope to still get one) would seem to point to them discontinuing series. The only question is how soon will they will do so. Valve gains more money for higher values of sold cards, so it is well possible.

This sounds smarter than what I was about to do. Maybe I can even get $2 if I wait long enough!

If nothing else, this whole trading card thing finally got me to play the Portal games.

Turfster

Jørdan;65144371 said:
Happened to me too and still does, I think although I could be entirely wrong you only see them for games you have installed.

I've still got all of them installed, so I have no idea.

Edit: Games coming out on June 28, but then nothing til July 8.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I'm going to be away from anything remotely resembling an internet connection during almost exactly that period.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Some Dinosaurs Go Home cards shot back up in price.

Cards are going so low now that's pretty much useless to sell them.

Maybe I'll just keep everything I have from now on.

Also, I just sold 20 Beta Invites, just before the beta is ending. Pretty cool if you ask me. :p

Wok

Toki Tori 2+ devs just pushed their release date back to the 11th.

"In a time honored Two Tribes tradition, we’ve decided to launch the game a bit later on the 11th of July instead of the 2nd as previously announced."

How come I did not notice the link between these two events! So July 1st - July 8th it is.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This sounds smarter than what I was about to do. Maybe I can even get $2 if I wait long enough!

If nothing else, this whole trading card thing finally got me to play the Portal games.
I just wanted the sweet, sweet satisfaction of getting Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for free to bring ultimate healing to the wound Omerta (which I passed on S&ASRT for) left. Even after getting Trackmania 2 Stadium (AWESOME) last night, I still have enough to do that if it at least goes on a 66% off sale, which I think is likely since it has been $10 on a couple other stores before. I can keep all cards from here out and attain my goal.

derExperte

I just wanted the sweet, sweet satisfaction of getting Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for free to bring ultimate healing to the wound Omerta (which I passed on S&ASRT for) left.

Omerta got a big patch btw, maybe you like it better now. They revamped the cover system for example and many more stuff.

Exeunt

I just wanted the sweet, sweet satisfaction of getting Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for free to bring ultimate healing to the wound Omerta (which I passed on S&ASRT for) left. Even after getting Trackmania 2 Stadium (AWESOME) last night, I still have enough to do that if it at least goes on a 66% off sale, which I think is likely since it has been $10 on a couple other stores before. I can keep all cards from here out and attain my goal.

I only have Portal 2 out of all the card-giving games (until System Shock 2 gets 'em), and I made about a dollar selling one of the duplicate cards that dropped during my playthrough. Really, both Portal and its sequel were fantastic and the ever-so-slight discount was just a bonus—as is anything else after this point.

Wok

Dota 2 is probably releasing next week.

I think the sale will start the day of its launch.

I would expect Dota 2 to be released later, at the beginning of August, just before TI3.

Moreover, I cannot imagine the sales starting on Saturday, so I would say the sales would start the week after, on Monday July 1st.

I can read between the lines. It is so obvious now.

So all of these cards say Series 1, but I wonder if they might do a sale specific meta-game that would unlock exclusive cards per that sale. Then you could mix Summer Sale cards from multiple games to make themed sale specific badges.

I just figure since they're leaning into badges, there will probably be holiday/summer sale specific badges, and short of bringing back the achievement hunt, this might be an interesting way to do that.

Meta-games within meta-games.

Surgeon simulator just got a several new achievements, looks like they'll have a TF2 themed operation.

That's pretty awesome.

derExperte

Magrunner: Dark Pulse was released today without any hype but it seems to be a good game. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/20/wot-i-think-magrunner-dark-pulse/

Ultimately, this is a big chunk of interesting game and well worth the price of admission. It’s by no means a tectonic shift in first-person puzzling, but certainly stronger than some of the other candidates who are exploring the space mapped out by Valve’s test chamber opus.

Too bad it will get lost between the card business, weekend sales and summer sale anticipation.

Crisco

Banned
We don't know anything about the Steam Box really. Here is what we do know at the moment:

1) PC manufacturers will be able to use the Steam Box program as a sort of "Big Picture Mode Certified" platform. They'll be able to produce their own hardware configurations, including bundling Windows.

2) Valve is working on its own hardware, including a controller. What we know currently is that Valve is testing 2 different types of systems: a "stream box," an OnLive type box that would work to stream games from your own PC, and a more traditional, console-like box with its own gpu most likely powered by Nvidia and running Linux. We do not know if they plan on making the hardware themselves, or simply licensing the project to other manufacturers.

Choosing Linux for the box makes a lot of sense, but has a drawback:

+ Valve does not have to pay a licensing fee to Microsoft.
+ Valve would be in full control of the ecosystem (say good-bye to those nagging first time install dialog)
+ Would help to lower the overall cost of the box for a number of reasons.
- The lack of direct compatibility with Windows software and, therefore, much of the existing library of Steam games.

There is an argument that Valve seriously pushing Linux with a Steambox would get a lot of developers to start porting their games over, a trend which is already happening with larger independent studios. However, Valve could bypass this, at least in the short-term, by using Wine as a compatibility layer. Wine, while it also has its own problems, can be surprisingly effective at getting software to run if special profiles are made for each piece of software.

Interesting, the stream box sounds like a good solution, especially once 10gigabit ethernet becomes prevalent. Thanks!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
When will Steam summer sales start? I'm trying to convince a friend to buy Borderlands 2, and its currently 30$, which isnt too bad, but if summer sales are starting soon and the price gets reduce more... maybe we should wait.

Wok

When will Steam summer sales start? I'm trying to convince a friend to buy Borderlands 2, and its currently 30$, which isnt too bad, but if summer sales are starting soon and the price gets reduce more... maybe we should wait.

Borderlands 2 cost about $15 one month ago.

Dr Dogg

Surgeon simulator just got several new achievements, looks like they're adding a TF2 themed operation or something.

The continued support for this quirky title is quite remarkable. I'm half tempted to nag my way to Rezzed this weekend to have a go with the Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra demo they will be showing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom