• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
tried for Anna

it's cool that I can just send requests and not feel guilty knowing that if the person doesnt want people who already got stuff days back to get more they can just use 'nowinners'

By the way Stump said you were listed as a winner which is why SOTS didn't go through last night. So might want to sort that out if not already.

Thanks for they bleed pixels xelios. Very generous giveaway. I've been reading a lot about how hard it is recently, look forward to trying it.

Salsa

By the way Stump said you were listed as a winner which is why SOTS didn't go through last night. So might want to sort that out if not already.

yup we talked through PM. I've been listed as a "winner" since day 1 because I was helping testing it with fake codes. No biggie.

Got Anna, thanks a lot Xelios!

This new modbot system is awesome

Anna is neat but man the fear system is annoying. I've gotten to a point where I'll have to restart the game because I can't progress without losing. So tip: Don't purposely hunt out scary things or you won't be able to finish the game.

For those who have not taken any keys from ModBot:

Just happened to see this and the list have my wishlisted Borderlands 2 Season Pass.
Thank you very much for it, awesome giveaway!

In the spirit of giveaways, I'll gift one copy of Rogue Legacy to the first one who quote this post.
I'm going to bed right now though, so I'll gift the game tomorrow.

Cheers!

Cth

I wonder what's the weirdest/funniest message someone's sent to ModBot since there's no requirement for a subject.
edit argh missed the great rogue giveaway :D

Salsa

Just happened to see this and the list have my wishlisted Borderlands 2 Season Pass.
Thank you very much for it, awesome giveaway!

In the spirit of giveaways, I'll gift one copy of Rogue Legacy to the first one who quote this post.
I'm going to bed right now though, so I'll gift the game tomorrow.

Cheers!

been wanting Rogue Legacy for a while, would love it Dunder

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome I won Dungeonland - been wanting to try it out! Thanks!

Anna is neat but man the fear system is annoying. I've gotten to a point where I'll have to restart the game because I can't progress without losing. So tip: Don't purposely hunt out scary things or you won't be able to finish the game.
I'll try to have that in mind when I finally get to play the game :p

Javaman

I was going to get Borderlands 2 on GMG until I saw the mess of DLC on Steam's store. Like someone else pointed out the season pass doesn't come with everything. Looks like $50 more or so to complete the game. No thanks, I'll just wait till the complete version comes out. Fucking DLC.

Salsa

I was going to get Borderlands 2 on GMG until I saw the mess of DLC on Steam's store. Like someone else pointed out the season pass doesn't come with everything. Looks like $50 more or so to complete the game. No thanks, I'll just wait till the complete version comes out. Fucking DLC.

to be fair the DLC that matters (4 extra campaigns, most recently released apparently being really long) is included, and Borderlands is one of those few games where the DLC tends to be worth it (if you like Borderlands that is)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

All of the DLC not included in the season pass is pretty worthless though - with most of it being cosmetic costumes. Most of the DLC is lame, but the stuff included with the season pass is pretty solid and actually adds quite a bit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I didn't mean in terms of the amount of actual content, it certainly is meaty in that regard, but in the actual suite of movement presented to the player. You can really do so much, from rolling around on the ground to sprinting and throwing yourself to the floor and turning at will. No other game really feels like it gives you as much freedom to do as you please.

I don't think the game really tries to be straight survivor horror much except in the early Leon sections which are the weakest by far(it wisely opens up the levels and stops herding you past the first chapter's opening). It's best when it presents varied combat scenarios and ratchets up the tension. Chris is a great example of this for me, you start out fighting in quite action packed situations with weaker enemies but gradually get pushed against much stronger ones as the tone changes suitably.

It's much more of an aciton game than a horror one, but that's perfectly acceptable to me given the combat engine used in the game is potentially the best(certainly most open) ever put into a TPS.

And I honestly don't think the QTEs were that frequent outside of the first few Leon Chapters. Chris's campaign barely has any and Jake only has them for platforming. I felt they were much more frequent and annoying in RE4 and 5.

I respectfully disagree. It's certainly true that RE6 offers a greater focus on player agency than its forebears, but I felt that this didn't quite carry over to the level design. Indeed, it felt rather claustrophobic; there was an exponential increase in player freedom by removing the shackles of "tank controls", but Capcom still had a tendency to generate enemy encounters within closed spaces, hamfistedly necessitating, say, sprinting and rolling. Put simply, the game's mechanics didn't coalesce for me; it wanted to be an action game but wasn't quite ready to ditch its roots, resulting in a odd hodgepodge.

1337Sauce

The GMG deal is definitely worth it, the only thing that you will be missing will be two characters and probably some skins, the bulk of which you could probably pick for ~$10 when everything goes on sale on steam.

I respectfully disagree. It's certainly true that RE6 offers a greater focus on player agency than its forebears, but I felt that this didn't quite carry over to the level design. Indeed, it felt rather claustrophobic; there was an exponential increase in player freedom by removing the shackles of "tank controls", but Capcom still had a tendency to generate enemy encounters within closed spaces, hamfistedly necessitating, say, sprinting and rolling. Put simply, the game's mechanics didn't coalesce for me; it wanted to be an action game but wasn't quite ready to ditch its roots, resulting in a odd hodgepodge.

The environments didn't feel any more compressed compared to something like Gears, with the exception of certain scenarios where it was intentionally claustrophobic such as the ship section in Chris's campaign. Hell, parts of Jake and Chris's campaign given huge, open spaces to move about in. And in any case most third person shooters are hardly an example of open level design. Vanquish and Uncharted(especially with the vertical elements) would be exceptions given most encounters take place in giant arenas of a varying nature.

I do agree that the level design doesn't always support the mechanics as well as it should though, for example the absurd point in Chapter 1(again, a real low point) of Leon's campaign where you can't jump over the table and are forced to go through the metal detector.

I don't think the implication that the game "hamfistedly" makes sprinting pr rolling necessary has much weight. It's simply an option that makes the game's combat and movement feel that much more open to experimentation. At no point does the game lay out enemies in such a way that you must roll or use other similar ground techniques in order to get by. In fact, that was one of my complaints was that the movement options given weren't often required by use of the campaign. The throw back move can be used to avoid enemy attacks but outside of the blades and lasers you're never actually forced to roll or slide about.

Not that I think the campaign is perfect by any means, but that's almost part of the appeal for me after how bland RE5 was. Jake's campaign is a perfect example of how weird and scattershot it can be, with the second and third chapters feeling very divorced mechanically from the rest. It was a positive aspect to me though, as it's something that kept the campaign from growing stale with such a length to it.

In any case, the mechanics on their own really are stellar. The Mercenaries has I said on the last page really feels like a big playground where you can discover just how much depth the combat in the game holds.

smr00

Banned
Excited to try rogue legacy, thanks to dunder again. Feel like i've been missing out on something grand
Like i said in the official thread, it's one of the most frustrating goddamn games i have ever played yet i can't stop playing it. It's a wonderful son of a bitch of a game that makes me want to set fire to computer at times.

It's brilliant.

Javaman

to be fair the DLC that matters (4 extra campaigns, most recently released apparently being really long) is included, and Borderlands is one of those few games where the DLC tends to be worth it (if you like Borderlands that is)

All of the DLC not included in the season pass is pretty worthless though - with most of it being cosmetic costumes. Most of the DLC is lame, but the stuff included with the season pass is pretty solid and actually adds quite a bit.

The GMG deal is definitely worth it, the only thing that you will be missing will be two characters and probably some skins, the bulk of which you could probably pick for ~$10 when everything goes on sale on steam.

The "collector" in me wants the full package though. It won't feel complete unless it includes all the extra crap. There are missing characters too which sounds rather significant.
This download grants the Mechromancer, a 5th playable character class who can summon a destructive robot named Deathtrap. In addition to this new class, this pack also includes bonus items which were included in the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club Pack, including the Gearbox Gold Gun Pack, a Golden Key, which unlocks rare items in the mysterious Sanctuary Loot Chest, and the Vault Hunter’s Relic, which boosts your gear-hunting fortunes.

Cth

Like i said in the official thread, it's one of the most frustrating goddamn games i have ever played yet i can't stop playing it. It's a wonderful son of a bitch of a game that makes me want to set fire to computer at times.

It's brilliant.

I'm kicking myself that I posted without refreshing.. so close to getting that game finally :D

Enjoy the game!

/jealous :D

Nice, I got Dollar Dash. Was thinking about getting it from GMG the other day, but ended up not doing it so cool it was still unclaimed. Thanks, xelios!

Vecks

I'm guessing this won't get much response, but does anybody know of any games on steam with Japanese voice overs?
So far all I've found is Blades of Time.

Cth

I'm guessing this won't get much response, but does anybody know of any games on steam with Japanese voice overs?
So far all I've found is Blades of Time.

Google says Tomb Raider and Skyrim... probably more.
EDIT: Borderlands 2

Tomb Raider Details:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146317302

Skyrim Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVkYfxxe2fE

Borderlands 2:
http://nogamenotalk.com/2012/12/22/guide-how-play-borderlands-2-japanese-english-subtitles-pc/

Man, downsampling Papo &Yo from 3600x2025 and it's gorgeous. Really need to try to get one of those 4K monitors, although given I just bought a rift I'll wait until 60 Hz models come out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The environments didn't feel any more compressed compared to something like Gears, with the exception of certain scenarios where it was intentionally claustrophobic such as the ship section in Chris's campaign. Hell, parts of Jake and Chris's campaign given huge, open spaces to move about in. And in any case most third person shooters are hardly an example of open level design. Vanquish would be the exception given most encounters take place in giant arenas of a varying nature.

In particular I don't think the implication that the game "hamfistedly" makes sprinting pr rolling necessary has much weight. It's simply an option that makes the game's combat and movement feel that much more open to experimentation. At no point does the game lay out enemies in such a way that you must roll or use other similar ground techniques in order to get by. In fact, that was one of my complaints was that the movement options given weren't often required by use of the campaign. The throw back move can be used to avoid enemy attacks but outside of the blades and lasers you're never actually forced to roll or slide about.

Not that I think the campaign is perfect by any means, but that's almost part of the appeal for me after how bland RE5 was. Jake's campaign is a perfect example of how weird and scattershot it can be, with the second and third chapters feeling very divorced mechanically from the rest. It was a positive aspect to me though, as it's something that kept the campaign from growing stale with such a length to it.

In any case, the mechanics on their own really are stellar. The Mercenaries has I said on the last page really feels like a big playground where you can discover just how much depth the combat in the game holds.

I don't mean to sound rude, nor do I mean to belittle your discourse, but at this point we're retreading expounded ground. Needless to say, we simply don't see eye to eye in regard to how successfully RE6's systems integrate with its game design.

I think we can agree on this, though: the sheer amount of content in RE6 is a breath of fresh air in a time where one can generally finish a new release across a weekend if not overnight. I played through the game with a mate (sans the Ada campaign) and, if memory serves, it took us around 26 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom