• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can you please elaborate on this? I am also from Australia. When we buy from Steam are we buying in US currency or something? How much better off is it to go buy the 50$ cards? I would be 100-150$ worth.

Yeah, we're charged in USD when making purchases on Steam itself. Currently you're saving about 9c per dollar spent if you purchase a Steam Wallet code locally.

Echoplx

Yeah, we're charged in USD when making purchases on Steam itself. Currently you're saving about 9c per dollar spent if you purchase a Steam Wallet code locally.

I didn't even know EB sold Steam Wallet Cards here, haven't been in a retail game store in years lol

inky

So there are 10 mystery cards?

Considering I already bought a lot of what I wanted before the sale even began, I'm going go end up spending more on cards than on some games :p

Random thought, what's worse? I guess consider this from Valve's perspective.

Taking the resentment from the fans from NOT making a Half Life 3 or the chance that people will deem Half Life 3 not a worthy Half Life title and go completely nuts(think Mass Effect 3 ending drama).

Yep, Steam hates VPNs if you use one to buy games from other countries (yep, Russia). I think they are less strict with the unlocks.
Ah okay! Wait, is Brave New World available in some parts of the world already?

Steam sale better have SR3: Full Package for cheap. I still need to complete it before SR IV next month

Why didn't you get it when they had that free to play weekend a weeks back? Was on sale quite cheap iirc

Random thought, what's worse?

Taking the resentment from the fans from NOT making a Half Life 3 or the chance that people will deem Half Life 3 not a worthy Half Life title and go completely nuts(think Mass Effect 3 ending drama).

Only one of those options earns them hundreds of millions of dollars.

Joe Molotov

Joe Molotov

What does your title link to? Chrome warns me that the site it's trying to go to is known for distributing malware.

It's a NeoGAF thread I made about freeware point-and-click adventure games. Not sure why it would give you a message like that, unless maybe it thinks some of the sites I linked to are dubious. The thread is a few years old, so all the links may not go to what they're supposed to anymore.

Echoplx

Grief.exe

Massive TF2 Update incoming

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617736

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=11023

TF2 has been evolving since the day we released it back in 2007. Unfortunately, as players' tactics and abilities have grown, so have the bugs and exploits in some of the maps. For example, since Badwater shipped in The Heavy Update, TF2 has added more than 140 weapons to the game, some of which introduced new capabilities: sentry jumping, rocket jumping with no health cost, the ability to pick up and move your buildings. All of these are just a fraction of the many ways players can now turn maps like Badwater upside down.

It didn't take long before clever players discovered how to use sentry jumping to build on roofs, Jumpers to move quickly behind enemy lines and spawn camp, and sneakily place buildings inside of their spawns. While we love players coming up with new and inventive ways to win, let's face it: It's never fun to be gunned down from above and behind.

And Badwater is just one of the maps with fixes in this update. In fact, the majority of maps in TF2 have gone through the same process. By eliminating these exploits and bugs, players can once again feel like they understand threats and the dangers presented in combat spaces.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=11024

To start with, let's look at the "banner" items for the Soldier. The most popular of these by far is The Buff Banner, which provides an offensive buff enabling nearby teammates to do additional burst damage. Conversely, The Battalion's Backup, another Soldier "banner" item, is barely ever equipped. The Backup's owner-equip rate is well below what we'd consider healthy, with less than 15% of players who own it ever equipping it. If this data wasn't enough, the feedback we've gotten from the Backup's owners easily corroborates the lack of interest.

Clearly, we needed to bring The Battalion's Backup up to parity with the usefulness of The Buff Banner. Previously, The Battalion's Backup rewarded players for taking additional damage, making it a frustratingly high-risk item. We found that most Soldiers would die well before they were able to build a full charge. When the next update ships, The Battalion's Backup builds up its charge by dealing damage rather than receiving it and provides additional damage resistance while active.

Let's look at another example with the opposite problem: The Dead Ringer. At roughly 80%, the equip rate for the Dead Ringer is staggeringly high. Given the many other items available in this category, this means that players feel they don't have any other viable option but choosing the Dead Ringer. We've gotten emails from players who describe the item as frustrating to fight against, requiring too little skill from the Spies and too much from their opponents.

In our next update, the Dead Ringer will work generally the same way it always has, letting Spies feign death to escape from damage that would have otherwise killed them. However, now any damage the Spy takes after his "death" will decrease the maximum length of time he can spend cloaked. This gives any players chasing the Spy more of an opportunity to catch up and deal a real finishing blow, while also requiring more skill from any Spy trying to make his way to actual safety.

Finally, we'd like to talk about item sets. Historically, item sets have been thematically consistent sets of items that provide a unique gameplay effect when worn together. Unfortunately, these gameplay effects had two negative effects. For one, they limited player choice, making players feel like they would be underpowered if not wearing the complete set. For another, it was a balancing nightmare. An individual item that might be balanced as part of a set could feel underpowered (or overpowered) on its own.

One of the main goals of introducing a new weapon is to give players more choices that will help them explore the game in fun new ways. Set bonuses had the opposite effect, making many players feel constrained in their choices.

Set bonuses also required players to have full knowledge of other players' loadouts, including currently "invisible" items like melee-slot weapons. For example, the Croc-o-Style Kit set bonus gives any Sniper equipping it immunity to headshots. But there was no way for a Sniper to know whether a targeted Sniper had the bonus simply by looking. And this wasn't an isolated problem. Similar issues cropped up around the Scout's Milkman set bonus (extra health) and the Demo's Expert's Ordnance set bonus (extra fire resistance).

For all of these reasons, as part of this next update, we've decided to change the way item set bonuses work. Players have traded for, purchased, and crafted these items, many in order to complete the sets and get these bonuses, and we're not abandoning the bonuses outright. Instead, we've moved the gameplay bonuses to specific items within the sets, and introduced new bonuses to these sets that won't affect gameplay balance.

KiDdYoNe

Steam sale better have SR3: Full Package for cheap. I still need to complete it before SR IV next month

oh, crap. reality check, i'll never get used to summer releases, expected it september/october. and now i remembered SCBlacklist... damn.

What has this world come to...

ahahahaha, yeah, it looks more ridiculous to see guys trading 2344235334 to 2342353891. we're fucked, that's it!

oh, crap. reality check, i'll never get used to summer releases, expected it september/october. and now i remembered SCBlacklist... damn

A fellow stealth fan? I enjoyed Conviction and I had my doubts about Blacklist, but the game seems like an actual return to form for the series.

Chaos Theory and Mark of the Ninja remain my favorites in the genre and Hitman Blood Money will always have a special place in my collection as the game that introduced me to the genre.

sibarraz

Banned
well, I couldn't resist, I bought the sega action pack

I will give away binary domain viking and hell yeah, but don't know yet how I will do it

Grief.exe

A fellow stealth fan? I enjoyed Conviction and I had my doubts about Blacklist, but the game seems like an actual return to form for the series.

Chaos Theory and Mark of the Ninja remain my favorites in the genre and Hitman Blood Money will always have a special place in my collection as the game that introduced me to the genre.

You won't be hard pressed to find fans of Chaos Theory, MotN, and Blood Money around here.

Might be hard pressed to find fans of Conviction though.

I didn't even know EB sold Steam Wallet Cards here, haven't been in a retail game store in years lol

oh, crap. reality check, i'll never get used to summer releases, expected it september/october. and now i remembered SCBlacklist... damn.

ahahahaha, yeah, it looks more ridiculous to see guys trading 2344235334 to 2342353891. we're fucked, that's it!

Yo, don't be jelly because I was able to get 32A322KKAXVA and ZZWISALKFJKLA in the same booster pack. I may be willing to let AZXFLKSJDFKJA go for the correct price.

Deadbeat

Banned
well, I couldn't resist, I bought the sega action pack

I will give away binary domain viking and hell yeah, but don't know yet how I will do it
You can take the easy way out and just give the keys to random people in the thread.

Ill take Binary Domain, thanks.

You won't be hard pressed to find fans of Chaos Theory, MotN, and Blood Money around here.

Might be hard pressed to find fans of Conviction though.
It wasn't the best SC or the best stealth game, but it was a fun stealth action game. Of course evasion and ghosting is the only true way to play a stealth game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom