• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Blue Shift and Opposing Force worth it?

I played the first Half Life back when the PS2 port happened (or was it PS1?), can't remember shit, and haven't touched the series since. Will probably play all of them if and when HL3 is announced.

kaleii

First thought: YES! Half-Life!
Second thought: Oh no, what do I choose? Source or HL Anthology (HL, opposing force and blue shift).

Should I just get Source or are the expansions worth it? I don't have much time to play anyway, so ... (Hey, Apostase and I think alike)

Halp!

Wubby

I don't own any of the Half-Lifes. Is it worth buying the complete bundle at $9.99? Never really cared about it before but now that I have an Oculus Rift I'm curious to try it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
First thought: YES! Half-Life!
Second thought: Oh no, what do I choose? Source or HL Anthology (HL, opposing force and blue shift).

Should I just get Source or are the expansions worth it? I don't have much time to play anyway, so ...

Halp!

Get the anthology. OG HL1 is better than Source and OpFor is proof that talent once existed at Gearbox.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Quoted for new page, I'm clueless!

Valve's evil psychologists always come up with new schemes to manipulate us during sales. We think we're collecting items or whatever that give us better deals or free games or a chance at a chance at getting everything for free, but what we're really doing is spending more money on games we'll never play, and adding to Eric Wolpaw's solid gold hot tub fund.

Tomodachi

We're clueless as well, with trading cards as a whole being almost brand new.
The pattern in the cards themselves seem to be hinting to a treasure hunt (which we already had some summer sales past) but nothing more than that can be really said at this point. Two days and we'll know.

Vecks

No one knows what the mystery cards are for. In the past, Valve has done different events for different sales. For one winter, there was something with coals, and you could craft them into random coupons/games, or they'd be for a random drawing where you could win like the top ten games on your wishlist. One summer sale there was a treasure hunt. I don't remember much, but there were achievements for games and you could win points to be used in a special store to buy (unpopular) games, dlc, TF2 items, etc.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thanks. I what way is OGHL1 better than Source? (Don't say the graphics please)

Source kinda the enemy related stuff so they are irritating to fight. Dodging enemy fire is unnecessarily difficult on all difficulties where in Vanilla it's only tough on hard.

Anustart

No one knows what the mystery cards are for. In the past, Valve has done different events for different sales. For one winter, there was something with coals, and you could craft them into random coupons/games, or they'd be for a random drawing where you could win like the top ten games on your wishlist. One summer sale there was a treasure hunt. I don't remember much, but there were achievements for games and you could win points to be used in a special store to buy (unpopular) games, dlc, TF2 items, etc.

Thanks! Looks like I need to add more than 1 game to my wishlist...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Get the anthology. OG HL1 is better than Source and OpFor is proof that talent once existed at Gearbox.

I looked it up: with the exception of 1 person, everyone who made Opposing Forces also worked on Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Stallion, I can't do it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I looked it up: with the exception of 1 person, everyone who made Opposing Forces also worked on Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Correction: OpFor is proof that Gearbox slowly erodes the talent of everyone working there.

Can I live without any of them, o great JaseC?

I mean, do they add anything significant in the universe?

OpFor wraps up the BM story under Valve's order lol and BS makes a character out of Barney in the HL1 universe.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can I live without any of them, o great JaseC?

I mean, do they add anything significant in the universe?

The ending of Opposing Force is actually canon, so there's that. I really can't imagine any reason why I'd recommend someone play Blue Shift, though.

Blue Shift is better than:
-BiA 1
-BiA 2
-Borderlands 2
-Alien: CM
-Duke NF

Unlike Blue Shift, I had (some) fun with DNF. ;)

When you think of Blue Shift's original purpose of being a diversionary bit added in as a bonus for Dreamcast's port of HL it's not so bad. It just didn't have much to justify being an expansion piece like Opposing Force before it.

Ezra2680

After keeping up with this thread for about the last week, can't believe how many people come in and ask questions without at least skimming through the last few pages.

KiDdYoNe

So. We had that vk.com Steam group conformation. Im not sure it has some officials in it, but whatever. Then it's midweak, that ends weird.

We have our local search website named Yandex. My friend sent me this thing he saw while using Yandex:

С 11 по 22 июля в Steam летняя распродажа — скидки на игры до 75% каждый день!
Пополните свой кошелек в Steam на сайте Яндекс.Денег

Do i need to translate that? ;)

So. We had that vk.com Steam group conformation. Im not sure it has some officials in it, but whatever. Then it's midweak, that ends weird.

We have our local search website named Yandex. My friend sent me this thing he saw while using Yandex:

С 11 по 22 июля в Steam летняя распродажа — скидки на игры до 75% каждый день!
Пополните свой кошелек в Steam на сайте Яндекс.Денег

Do i need to translate that? ;)
The midweek thing is all the evidence needed really. It only ends at that time on seasonal sales.

How long are the half life games?

A solid 10 hours, +/- depending on how you play, and how well you play.

Opposing Force is the best expansion ever made for a game.

WarCraft-3-The-Frozen-Throne.jpg

Finished Broken Sword - I enjoyed it, but I think that was because I was streaming on twitch.tv

Broken Sword is a Point and Click adventure game, one of the first 'modern' ones to hit the PC scene back in the 90s. At the time it was hailed as a fantastic game, and even now nearly 15/20 years on, I'd still consider it a game that's worth playing for the experience.

The art work still holds up, where as the animation is basic, and the voice acting has been poorly recorded, but I can forgive that. The voice acting itself is outrageous with some of the most over the top accents you'll ever here - Geordie accent included!

Some of the puzzles are still genuine headscratchers, but the good type - Mav, Priit and Saj attempted to help. Attempted.

The game felt a little long winded by the end, so I'd be interested to know which new scenes were added to the Director's Cut (as I'm not entirely sure they were needed). However, overall I'd recommend this to any PnC fans, but perhaps wait for the Trilogy in the sale if you're a curious bystander.

Next options are either:

1 - Finish the Broken Sword Trilogy
2 - Hack, Slash & Loot (as dictated by Steam Roulette)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom