• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exeunt

Could possibly get it for free? Last sale that had games as rewards for the meta game, I got the valve complete pack

What sort of things does this entail exactly? If it involves buying and playing a lot of games over the sale period, it's probably not worth it for someone like me who has an extremely small library and relatively low sale ambitions.

Half-Life will probably be the same price as it is now during the summer sale, and you will probably also be able to pick up the Valve complete pack or something that includes Half-Life and lots of other stuff at a massive discount. You'll know for sure when the sale hits this October.

I figured it was a constant price looking at steamgamesales, but I wanted to check in the thread. I already have the Portal series and those were the other Valve titles that I was interested in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ModBot is great, good job Stump. And thanks to anon benefactor for the Aquaria code.

By the way, in this new giveaway system is it still good form to post thanks or will it be considered clogging the thread? I read the ModBot rules but I'm not clear on that, so sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere already as the thread has been a bit hectic lately.

So are we sure that the Mystery cards are worth "collecting"? I mean, they're not even officially labeled, I'm getting kinda worried about trading them and later Steam being like "Oh, all mystery cards are worth the same, their ClassID is meaningless, carry on."

We don't know. I collected a set and I'm fully prepered for them to be completely worthless.

Caerith

So are we sure that the Mystery cards are worth "collecting"? I mean, they're not even officially labeled, I'm getting kinda worried about trading them and later Steam being like "Oh, all mystery cards are worth the same, their ClassID is meaningless, carry on."
We don't know. It could be "collect 1 of each" like everyone is speculating, or maybe it's "collect 5 of a kind" or maybe they don't do anything at all. We don't know.

Joe Molotov

Nothing is true; everything is permitted.

Gaben knows all, Gaben sees all, Gaben is all.

smr00

Banned
We don't know. I collected a set and I'm fully prepered for them to be completely worthless.
I still don't know how to check the cards i have to see what id it is. I did it on the market place but when i search the source in my inventory nothing shows up.

Do you get a different one per craft? cause i got 15 of them.

I still don't know how to check the cards i have to see what id it is. I did it on the market place but when i search the source in my inventory nothing shows up.

You need to install this
http://steamdb.info/userscript/
and then check your inventory in the browser, not the client. It'l show an ID for the cards, where the last two digits go from 20 to 30, excluding 25.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nightsky -- MB-FF2B60BA9313E8B8 - Taken by Rafy
Let's see this workin'

Ezra2680

ModBot is great, good job Stump. And thanks to anon benefactor for the Aquaria code.

By the way, in this new giveaway system is it still good form to post thanks or will it be considered clogging the thread? I read the ModBot rules but I'm not clear on that, so sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere already as the thread has been a bit hectic lately.

The last line about being able to request thanks through PM seems to me that posting in the thread is acceptable if they didn't flag that option.

Turfster

I got a friend with the steam database thing to look at my inventory, and no, you don't get a different one per craft, since I got doubles for my 2 crafts.

sibarraz

Banned
I only has gotten mystery cards from crafting badges, so isn't a big loss for me

But again if you think about it, crafting badges is already a big loss

Yep ModBot is definitely ignoring me, sent a key with register title, no reply. Sent again 20 mins after that, and still no reply.
Mavromatis said:
Just Cause 2:  NOT-THE-REAL-KEY

RECEIPT
NOLURKERS
NOWINNERSWEEKLY

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The last line about being able to request thanks through PM seems to me that posting in the thread is acceptable if they didn't flag that option.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, meaning as long as there's no mention of "thanks through PM" in the ModBot post it's ok to say it in the thread for that particular giveaway.

Maybe the mystery card thing will be like the McDonalds Monopoly, where most parts of a set are incredibly common, but the last one (#25) has a drop chance of 1 in 1,000,000,000 or something.

And you win the entire Steam catalogue if you get it.

Digoman

What sort of things does this entail exactly? If it involves buying and playing a lot of games over the sale period, it's probably not worth it for someone like me who has an extremely small library and relatively low sale ambitions.

Well.. that's exactly what in involves, at least the last time they did it, in... 2011 I think.

This is a list of objectives of that year Winter Sale. Some were simple like joining groups, but most were related to achievements/tasks in game.

Earlier that year I won a complete Valve pack (some of the leftovers I finally gifted away just now) by doing the Portal 2 ARG.

I miss those metagames...

Exeunt

Well.. that's exactly what in involves, at least the last time they did it, in... 2011 I think.

This is a list of objectives of that year Winter Sale. Some were simple like joining groups, but most were related to achievements/tasks in game.

Earlier that year I won a complete Valve pack (some of the leftovers I finally gifted away just now) by doing the Portal 2 ARG.

I miss those metagames...

I had a feeling, since it makes business sense. Yeah, looks like I'll be jumping on the Half-Life train this round. Feel free to dig up this post and mock me when Valve gives everyone the Half-Life games for free to celebrate Half-Life 3's release on Friday.

derExperte

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-C378C843A76A2C80 - Taken by Ezra2680

Woooo, exciting.

Phinor

I really hope they have a nice metagame around the trading cards / mystery cards. Every summer/winter sale without a silly game feels.. lacking. At times during winter sale 2012 I almost felt like playing Steam games instead of Steam the game. I don't want to experience a repeat of that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seems like ModBot is ignoring me. Never got a hash for the key I sent :(
I hope I haven't broke it.

Hey Mavromatis. I'm checking the logs and ModBot generated a giveaway for you but didn't add any keys to it. I'm guessing this means you sent a key in a non-standard format or something else about it caused the bot to get confused. I'd like to test to replicate it . Can you please forward the PM you sent to ModBot to me?

How to forward a PM:
DzDaq0H.png

Make sure you forward it to me, Stumpokapow, not ModBot.

Thanks.

Stumpokapow, what happens if steam launches a game called ANONYMOUS?
Modbot divides by zero? :)

hahahah right now I think it'd make your giveaway anonymous and not take the key at all. But you can send a key with no name and it'll appear as "Mystery Game"--good for vindictive Bad Rats giveaways! -- and the rules are case sensitive so "Anonymous" would parse as a game name rather than a rule.

But I could probably make the parser more robust to deal with something like that. Thanks for keeping me on my toes ;)

MoonGred

Does anyone know if valve will do sales for in game dota item (really want that bastion announcer pack).
I know you guys can't(?) predict the future, I just want to know if they've done this in the past or with tf2 items

Grief.exe

Does anyone know if valve will do sales for in game dota item (really want that bastion announcer pack).
I know you guys can't(?) predict the future, I just want to know if they've done this in the past or with tf2 items

Doing something like that would throw the economy out of whack. They like to keep everything at static values.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
20k posts. I think we can do it until Thursday.

We should all post our wishlists or something.
I can do that;
- Alice: Madness Returns
- Torchlight II
- Rogue Legacy
- Another World
- Mark Of The Ninja
- Alpha Protocol

One of those beneeth five bucks and the sale's a good one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom